Author Topic: Chrono Trigger's "Swallow"? My Theory.  (Read 5086 times)

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger's "Swallow"? My Theory.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 04:15:13 am »
What's the proper name then? Kwhazit translated it as "Swallow", and Gemini didn't see anything wrong with the name while providing item names for the VWF patch. It's probably not written the same way though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:36:05 am by Vehek »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 06:15:54 am »
Its Japanese name IS swallow, exactly.

-------------------------
In CT
燕 - It means swallow, name of a kind of bird.
In CC
スワロー  - Well, it reads swallow...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:24:44 am by utunnels »

yujinishuge

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 08:43:04 am »
One's in Kanji meaning that the makers were thinking of the bird when they named the sword.

The other is in katakana which means the makers were thinking of something (a weapon) with a non japanese origin.

There is no relation.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 09:10:34 am »
That's why we get comfused when they are translated, both go to the same word.
BTW, the swallow from CC probably means scissors or dual-blade, the origin is probably from swallow tail. My English knowledge is quite limited so I don't know if there's such weapon called swallow. But we always say a swallow has a scissor tail, in China.

About the CT swallow, I have not much to say, because 燕/swallow is used quite often among tech names, weapon names.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 03:15:28 am »
Quote from: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/GamePro_Interview.html
====5. What influenced the character's weapons? The Cards and the Carrot weapons in particular are pretty interesting, as is the swallow.==== Question From: Presence sayaman@planetnamek.org

We mainly based the weapons on the characters' backgrounds and designs, but it's not really the weapons that are so unique or interesting. It's just the characters that use the weapons who are so weird...I think that's a better way to explain it. (laughs)

One of Serge's weapons, the swallow, just happened to pop up in my head. I thought it'd be strange for a young boy to have this weapon in a small fishing village, so I thought, let's just say it's an oar. (laughs)"

:picardno

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 03:33:22 pm »
My mental ass was just kicked by Square themselves.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 03:42:37 pm »
It's weird, but the swallow is even described as an oar, if you read the description. I don't know why they decided to call both Crono's sword and Serge's oar swallows, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sure tons of people think both swallows refer to the same type of weapon, but I guess it's just a word the writers happened to like. Either that or Serge's swallows refer to Zeal (as Crono's swallow came from Zeal), but it's a fairly tenuous connection...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 01:02:35 am »
My mental ass was just kicked by Square themselves.

He thought, haha, yeah, he just thought.
You know it was not designed by Kato.  :lol:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:10 pm »
Maybe "Swallow" refers to a style of fighting both Crono's sword & Serges sharp oars are made for...?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:51 pm »
Probably...or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojir%C5%8D#Swallow_Cut

But I bet Serge is not the only guy who uses such weapons. For example, Zidane from Final Fantasy IX...

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 03:52:41 pm »
That's pretty awesome, and even this badass swallow cut is based on the bird itself (and you were right. utunnels, by mentioning the swallow tail). And it sounds a mighty lot like Serge's attack:
Quote from: Wikipedia
...the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »
Ah, well, I knew that long time ago, although I only checked the wiki page after I read this topic.
But I still don't think it has something to do with Serge's weapon.

Take butterfly (one of Zidane's weapon) for example, yeah, the name comes from a type of dual-wielding dagger in real world known as butterfly sword.
Maybe swallow is similar to butterfly in someway...but I still like to call it scissor blade for its shape.

the "Turning Swallow Cut" has been reconstructed as a technique involving striking downward from above and then instantly striking again in an upward motion from below.

Hmm, sounds interesting, but if I recall, both Frog and Crono have such a move, when they deal a criticla strike.

It's weird, but the swallow is even described as an oar, if you read the description. I don't know why they decided to call both Crono's sword and Serge's oar swallows, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm sure tons of people think both swallows refer to the same type of weapon, but I guess it's just a word the writers happened to like. Either that or Serge's swallows refer to Zeal (as Crono's swallow came from Zeal), but it's a fairly tenuous connection...
LOL, sometimes you shouldn't take the name too serious. You know there are a lot of swords with traditional Japanese names in Castlevania series which is supposed to have a strong western background.
Warrior of Fate, an old beat'em-up arcade game with a back story of the Three Kingdoms, also has a lot of Japanese swords in it, and there's even an Excalibur...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:30:34 pm by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:14 pm »
Probably...or not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojir%C5%8D#Swallow_Cut

But I bet Serge is not the only guy who uses such weapons. For example, Zidane from Final Fantasy IX...

I didn't mean a real life fighting style, just one in the Chronoverse we're not in the know of...And Zidane uses what they call "Thief Blades", which are really not much more than two daggers connected at the end of the hilt (and are totally lame in comparison to double fisting daggers in the first place)...

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 09:03:30 am »
being able to open zeals chests and doors depends entirely on charging the pendant in the mammon machine.

the swallow was probably named after the bird.. the bird is known for being fast, and the sword increases your speed.