Author Topic: WTF! The epsxe team has released an update!  (Read 7136 times)

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
Re: WTF! The epsxe team has released an update!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 10:34:55 am »
I'm sure there's probably a way to get Agemo's VRAM Viewer to examine pSX savestates, I just haven't looked it up yet.
There is, actually. Make a VRAM dump using the GPU debugger and then open it with Agemo's viewer.

sorry, maybe I understood not: no savestate on pSX?
You did misunderstand. He didn't say pSX has no savestates.

Dark_Ansem

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 03:28:28 pm »
thanks gemini. my heart skipped a beat.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 03:46:52 pm »
Thanks Gemini, I'll try that out sometime.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08:04 am »
The deal breaker for me is that pSX doesn't support higher resolutions.  That awful low-res dithering is why I don't use my real PSX or PS2 anymore.  If I want an experience that is in no way improved over the original, I'll just use the original metal.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 03:07:10 pm »
The deal breaker for me is that pSX doesn't support higher resolutions.  That awful low-res dithering is why I don't use my real PSX or PS2 anymore.  If I want an experience that is in no way improved over the original, I'll just use the original metal.

Yeah, no doubt about it, especially since the PS1 was on the shelves for so long for dirt cheap. I think most people just don't want to "waste" money though on games and whatnot when they can just download it for free. Which proves another point on why the gaming industry is declining so much. Why spend the money to create an epic game when it's just going to be overly-pirated? =P

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 05:23:13 pm »
Who cares about enhancements when the emulator is buggy as hell. :D And quite frankly, the only filter I like when I play a Psx game is interpolation, since Pete OpenGL/Direct3D/DirectX plugins aren't really that much of an improvement and add their own set of bugs.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 06:47:47 pm »
And what about AdriPSX emulator It doesn't handle any save states but the next ver. (beta) already have save state and memory card manager.

Dark_Ansem

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 02:43:21 am »
still in beta? maybe you could look somewhere else....

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 02:56:20 am »
No the NEW ver. is still Beta but old one is not.

Dark_Ansem

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 03:27:22 am »
ah. never tried it XD sorry

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 09:31:20 am »
Who cares about enhancements when the emulator is buggy as hell.

I encountered more problems with pSX.  The latest version crashed several times on my computer.  It also cannot read Alcohol disc images like it says it can.  I never was able to get it to play Parasite Eve II, even from the CD drive.  And again, the original metal won't have any bugs either, so I see no reason to bother.

I've never encountered any significant bugs using ePSXe.  While it could be easier to configure, it always runs rock-solid on my computers.  The only thing I really wish it could do is expand the drawing area to widescreen like the N64 emulator I have (playing Ocarina of Time in widescreen is awesome).  Course, a number of the games I play are by Squaresoft, who really liked to use a masking border, so the extra space would probably either be filled with the border, or I'd have a nice black square over the center of the screen with stuff showing inside and out.  :)

the only filter I like when I play a Psx game is interpolation, since Pete OpenGL/Direct3D/DirectX plugins aren't really that much of an improvement

You must not set them up properly because the difference is night and day.  Its like saying Quake doesn't look any better in 1600x1200 than in 320x240.  I also use full screen anti-aliasing, though I am as yet unconvinced of its benefits.  Texture smoothing seems to work well, though its not desirable for all games.

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 10:49:39 am »
I encountered more problems with pSX.  The latest version crashed several times on my computer.
Hopefully they can be corrected sending emails to pSX Author. :D He has corrected many bugs in WIP 1.14, and also added several new interesting features, like video+audio recording.

It also cannot read Alcohol disc images like it says it can.
Alcohol images are simple BIN isos renamed to MSF. You can still boot them using a proper cue sheet.

I never was able to get it to play Parasite Eve II, even from the CD drive.
Does it work using an ISO?

I've never encountered any significant bugs using ePSXe.  While it could be easier to configure, it always runs rock-solid on my computers.
I did find many, especially when it comes to code hacking. :D Tales of Phantasia uses a small protection with some menu overlay, which is NOT detected by ePSXe at all, while all the other emulators do. I even found a small math error, but I can't really remember what that was anymore. Also, many not popular games have no hacks included in ePSXe core, so they won't run at all or freeze/crash in particular situations. ._.

You must not set them up properly because the difference is night and day.  Its like saying Quake doesn't look any better in 1600x1200 than in 320x240.  I also use full screen anti-aliasing, though I am as yet unconvinced of its benefits.  Texture smoothing seems to work well, though its not desirable for all games.
I do actually know how to set them properly, but they are not efficient enough, no matter how you set them. Some games lag like hell when particular effects are active (example the infested Invincible in Chrono Cross, with the fog effect on the back, you get like 5-6 fps with 2x anti aliasing), not to mention all the "flickering" polygons. I have no clue why they tremble that much almost in any occasion. Try comparing FFVII under emulator vs FFVII PC: you get a much better result with FFVII PC, especially in battle.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 10:51:55 am by Gemini »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 12:51:17 pm »
pSX can do video and audio recording now!?

:lee: :lee: :lee: :lee: :lee: :lee: :lee: :lee: !!!!

Gemini

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Psx asm guru
    • View Profile
    • Jikan no Page
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 03:37:46 pm »
pSX can do video and audio recording now!?
It does.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 02:39:43 am »
Yeah, I tried pSX and it's not as epic as you guys are making it sound. I tried it on a few games, also.
ePSXe is better, in my opinion, if you take the time to get the full use out of your plugins.

So my final answer is:
ePSXe is better, if you're not lazy.
pSX is better, if you don't ever wanna fuck around with plugins.