Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development  (Read 38056 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development
« Reply #540 on: September 24, 2005, 01:59:49 pm »
Slashdot might bring in people.

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 24, 2005, 08:12:44 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Quote from: ZeaLitY
We have a dire shortage of Temporal Flux users.

Oh. That makes sense, now. Well, I'm no good at that program, I've found, so I'd be no help. Hopefully some people step forward so that this project can continue; I'd hate to see such promise fall away.

Well, learn to use it! =P

Seriously, you can master ancient languages but haven't trained a simple computer program to thought? For shame, son.

Nah, I'm kidding.

Try out Flux though. Experiment a lot. That's what it took me.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2005, 01:07:13 am »
Attention: We need a condensing and revising of this thread. Hadriel did a great job of this a few pages back, but we need something we can tangibly work with. New ideas have been going back and forth, and if we don't get ahold of this thing now, jsondag's gonna rewrite the  whole game underneath our noses.  :D

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #543 on: November 30, 2005, 02:37:03 am »
Really? I hope in not too dire a fashion: Hadriel and the story-writers had a wonderful thing going there.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #544 on: December 01, 2005, 03:29:09 am »
Just the early bits, really... I think the later stuff was what conflicted. And as you know, we can't currently implement playable Schala, so that throws some of the story out of the window temporarily.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #545 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:18 pm »
Yeah, what's the matter there? Was that the problem with the sprite size, ie. Glenn took Ayla's, but Schala being left with Frog's, and it wasn't big enough, or something like that?

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #546 on: December 02, 2005, 01:54:37 am »
Something to that extent.

And that even implementing human Glenn right now would possibly make the game asplode randomly. >_< I don't even want to imagine all the sprite errors we'll be getting at first...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 02, 2005, 09:00:19 pm »
Well, Schala's supposed to be short.  Why not capitalize on that by compressing her sprite, if it's possible?  Sprite editing isn't something that requires too terribly much effort, but what about within the context of TF?

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #548 on: December 03, 2005, 02:38:45 am »
I suppose if push comes to shove, it could be her child form from Cross. >_> Parts of the story would have to be changed, and I don't know how it would be explained, but... *shrug*

I don't know much about sprite compression, though.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2005, 05:52:01 am »
It could easily be explained: in searching for her, Magus finds Kid, not Schala.  Despite the fact that he was searching for his sister, not this clone-ish thing, he feels attachment to Kid nonetheless and feels he must protect her as much as possible, so he has her come with him.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #550 on: December 03, 2005, 01:39:46 pm »
Not really possible, there. Ruling out what would have to drag Kid there in the first place (which would open up, like, fifty can of worms as opposed to twenty), Kid would recognize Lucca at that age, etc, and would have to completely lose her memory of that adventure for Cross to make any sense.

If you meant adult Kid, then O_o. It still wouldn't help as adult Kid isn't short.

Ah, well. It's ultimately up to the story writers.

*shrug*

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #551 on: December 03, 2005, 06:35:22 pm »
I would say that making her short would seem like cutting corners in order to force her to be in the tale. It's what I'd expect to see in some other fan gaem. It would seem more professional and cohesive if she were either in it in her CT form or, if that is technologically impossible, to wholly remove her as a playable character. She would be interesting, of course, but I think one of the best things about this project is it seems to know its limits, and does things not for a 'coolness' factor, but rather on a more mature level (or, at least, that's what I've found so far, and what I can remember of, the story.) Even the very nature of its setting, between the games, rather than attempting to be a sequel, gives it in my eyes an element of class. You have nothing to attempt to outdo the extant games, no attempt to improve upon that which is there. AND you're sticking within Chrono canon. If Chrono Break is ever made, CE will not be wholly useless.

So, yeah, I think that things should continue as they've been going.

Janus Zeal

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 03, 2005, 10:26:53 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with Daniel. If Schala is impossible to do in her CT form, don't include. As much as it pains me to see her removal, it is certainly a better choice than scaling her down/putting in Kid.

So it's impossible to make Schala in Ayla's slot then? Shame...

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #553 on: December 04, 2005, 08:12:37 pm »
No, that's possible, it's just that we couldn't have human Glenn then.

I suppose it would be easier making up a reason for Frog to be a frog again than for Schala to be in kid-mode. O_o

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #554 on: December 05, 2005, 02:45:30 am »
So, I guess the question is, which is both more interesting to the player and story-wise: a human Glenn, or Schala? One must remember that he in all likelihood did revert at the end of Trigger, so to make him an amphibian again requires explanation - it would seem more cohesive to make him human, and would seem as though things have advanced since CT. Not much, but enough to show a passage of time. Moreover, to see a human Glenn fight, especially alongside Magus, is a rather interesting thing. The inclusion of Schala, on the flipside, is also interseting, both story-wise and combat wise. It also requires explanation, however.

If it were a choice between Glenn and Schala, I'd probably go with the former. It seems more linear with Chrono Trigger. As a game+ extra there could maybe be a special half-sprite character like Tata or an imp or something, but only for an extra thing. Anyway, I hope ends don't come to that choice and that both can be safely implemented, but if not that's my opinion on that matter.