Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development  (Read 41599 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development
« Reply #480 on: August 10, 2005, 02:05:23 pm »
My honest evaluation: I don't think it's too good, except for the sword.  No offense.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 10, 2005, 02:12:58 pm »
I think it's okay, although I sense that you can do better.

The other characters already have artworks but I believe Glenn's design should either match the Dragon Ball style of the others (not a very neat idea) or the others should be redrawn with the less anime style (good idea).

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #482 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:46 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
My honest evaluation: I don't think it's too good, except for the sword. No offense.

Hmmm... I had actually thought it turned out rather well. Ah, whatever. It is actually not quite symmetrical, even. Anyway, no offence taken. I tried, though admittedly it was a quick try. I'm not much of an artist anyway most especially in this style - I'm actually surprised that people like the weapons I've drawn - and only draw to back up writing, for the most part.
(Oh, by the way, the sword in the picture is actually terrible. The blade is not even symmetric, and the hilt above the crossguard looks horrible.)

Quote from: Chrono'99
I think it's okay, although I sense that you can do better.

Not in this style I couldn't - that is, I wager, the best I could do. As I said, I don't much like such anime style as it is, and by preference would rather draw more realistic pictures, like the painting in my sig. Relatively, I did it extremely quickly, too, so that might account for it. I wouldn't bother trying again, though. It was just a thing that came into my head the other day to try.

The other characters already have artworks but I believe Glenn's design should either match the Dragon Ball style of the others (not a very neat idea) or the others should be redrawn with the less anime style (good idea).

Well, I tried to match the style as best I could - I did try to keep the colours the same, for comparison:

as close as a green as I could get. But especially faces in it are terribly hard for me to do. Anybody that actually knows and likes anime willing to do try? I'll just stick to the weaponry. That's a measure easier.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 10, 2005, 04:23:39 pm »
For the character art, I'm in favor of a style that's as non-Dragon Ball as we can get the artist to make it, because Dragon Ball SUUUUUUUUXXXXXXXXX.  Even chibi characters would be preferable, but honestly a style much closer to realism would be it, IMO.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #484 on: August 10, 2005, 06:13:21 pm »
For the character art, I'm in favor of a style that's as non-Dragon Ball as we can get the artist to make it, because Dragon Ball SUUUUUUUUXXXXXXXXX.  Even chibi characters would be preferable, but honestly a style much closer to realism would be it, IMO.

Well, as I said, I don't like the DBZ style either. The only reason I attempted it was for a try at continuity with the other existing drawings. Naturally, I lean more more for realism, or attempted realism. At the very least non-anime.

Any chance of getting CuteLucca to do them? She is, I think, the pre-eminent Chrono artist, and does realistic renditions of them very well.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 10, 2005, 06:50:22 pm »
I think it could possibly work, but I have only one complaint: his head is too far around.  His chin seems to be along the same line as his shoulder, and while it is possible to do, it just seems really... unnatural.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2005, 09:02:39 pm »
Well, as I said, I am not good at drawing in this style. We really should get someone like CuteLucca to do these, if we want people-drawings.

Now, regarding the weapons/armour drawings. I'm getting a little tired of doing them, so I do not think I will be as swift with the rest as I was with the first 40 some. But when will you need them drawn by? I trust I have the ones done for the demo, at least.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 10, 2005, 10:35:22 pm »

I think I can't say that Dragon Ball suuuxxx because, like, Chrono Trigger's characters have the same style as Dragon Ball... but I too would like a more realistic style (maybe the same as Chrono Cross but with less big and starry eyes).

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2005, 12:04:35 am »

I think I can't say that Dragon Ball suuuxxx because, like, Chrono Trigger's characters have the same style as Dragon Ball... but I too would like a more realistic style (maybe the same as Chrono Cross but with less big and starry eyes).

That art style is my sole objection to Chrono Trigger.  They could just as easily be rendered more realistically and I'd consider that the definitive version of them.  I was just bitching today at GameStop about Dragon Quest VIII and Toriyama's character designs.  Oh yeah, and how SE owns all the most popular and best RPGs except for maybe KOTOR.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 11, 2005, 12:59:51 pm »
Wait (returning to the plot...), so El Nido already exists in the CT:CE timeline? It was created in order to save Schala from Lavos, but during the game Schala isn't merged with Lavos yet... Does Belthasar already know what will happen? and even if so I thought time changes don't happen until they happen? *confused*

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 11, 2005, 01:06:49 pm »
Wait (returning to the plot...), so El Nido already exists in the CT:CE timeline? It was created in order to save Schala from Lavos, but during the game Schala isn't merged with Lavos yet... Does Belthasar already know what will happen? and even if so I thought time changes don't happen until they happen? *confused*

This timeline is that of Another World, Keystone T-1, which is the default timeline after Lavos' death.  Keystone T-2 comes about because of the interference of Serge.  As this is 1002, that hasn't happened yet.

You're right that time changes don't happen until they happen...this means we need to figure out a way to get around that.  Belthasar will undoubtedly have made all the preparations he needs to for the Time Crash as soon as they learn of the Time Devourer.  That leaves the team's changes to be made.  Here we deal with intent; from an absolute perspective, that of the universe, all changes in time will have already been made.  But what about from the team's point of view?  We also have to consider how "fast" a timeline propagates.  One would naturally assume that any changes made to a timeline are reflected instantly at all relevant points, but as we have Time Error to contend with, changes are made when they are made.  Defeating Lavos was the last change the team made in the original timeline, and thus they visited the ruined 2300 A.D..  Saving Leene and Marle did not happen until Crono, Lucca, and Glenn made it happen; up until that change is made, the original history exists, but as soon as that happens the new timeline is enforced.

All that we know for certain is that FATE was completed in the year 2300.  We will doubtless have to use this to make the El Nido issue make sense.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2005, 01:09:42 pm »

This timeline is that of Another World, Keystone T-1, which is the default timeline after Lavos' death.  Keystone T-2 comes about because of the interference of Serge.  As this is 1002, that hasn't happened yet.

What I don't understand is how El Nido even exists (with the Acacia Dragoons and Elements). Don't this means the Time Crash already happened and Project Kid is set in motion?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2005, 01:15:39 pm »
It doesn't, by any means. It's the Sea of El Nido, actually. The confrontation will take place on one of the natural islands that were there before the terraformation.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2005, 01:22:40 pm »
Okay, but (I'm annoying today...) then what about the Elements and the Acacia Dragoons? They can't exist without the Dragonians. Does Garai wield the Einlanzer?

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #494 on: August 11, 2005, 01:43:55 pm »
Shouldn't El Nido instead be called the Sea of Eden?  If this is the pre-archipelago incarnation of the area?  From Cross:

BELTHASAR:  "Originally the whole Archipelago of El Nido was known as the Sea of Eden.  This was because it was where the Dragon Gods resided.  But then FATE sealed away the Dragon Gods' powers, in effect becoming a god itself.  Thus the islands where the new godhead, FATE, existed came to be called the Sea of Eden instead."

Also, I don't see how Elements can predate the Time Crash, since they were of Dragonian origin.

[EXPLORER]:  "Ancient lore reveals that the Dragonites knew of certain land formations they called Power Spots.  There, they are said to have used the natural energy of the planet to generate Elements."

ALSO, isn't Gaea's Navel supposed to be a primeval forest which is inaccessible and totally untouched by man?  Then, how can an element farm exist there?

OdF