Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development  (Read 42059 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes Plot Development
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 03:40:27 pm »
There's a reason for that -- he's supposed to be Norris' older brother.  Norris is a kid at this point in time, and he looks up to William.  He's just one of many ideas that we've thrown out there to be used in some way, much like the Assassin.  Beyond what has already been posted, I don't know how he'll be used.  I'm trying to think of something good for both characters.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 05:22:01 pm »
Yeah, I suppose I left that out of the formal plot. William Ishito is indeed Norris's brother, a recycled idea from my first attempt at a fanfiction (featuring Norris's father ca. 1003 A.D.). He's quite a jovial philosopher literary type, guaranteeing a rising status in the Porre army, but he tends to look the other way concerning Porre's darker activities and oppression. This may come to a head within CTCE, since Norris must a.) reach leadership of the Black Wind group, so his family must be esteemed within the army, and b.) have moral difficulties with Porre's activities.

Here is William's dialogue so far, and his journal entry (he has a book in the Porre barracks):

Quote from: Sleepness
  Oh, hello! I'm William Ishito. I must
   have dozed off. These barracks are
   not conducive to reading, eh?{page break}
Hmm...I do believe I am tired,
   however. I will resume my nap,
   as I have the night shift. Do stop by
   sometime. I would hugely enjoy{page break}
a chat with you fellows! Farewell.
   Oh, and I've misplaced a jewel
   of mine near the food stocks. If
   you find it, you can have it.{null}

Quote from: JournaLitY
  April 16th, A.D. 1002

The stars are especially clear, and I
   have had the pleasure of observing{page break}
a comet dash across the night sky.
   I think of home in times like this -
   Of my smiling parents, and Norris,
   my kid brother. Judging from the{page break}
state of world affairs, I pray he
   does not follow my path, and
   enlist. If he does, however, I'm
   sure he will make a fine leader.{page break}
A disturbance has been reported
   near the forest. Good night.

-o-  W.I. -o-{null}

Part of the reason I'm holding off for a newer version of TF is support for infinite length strings. With huge entries like that, stuff runs over in other dialogue.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 11:56:26 am »
Preview Synopsis

Vanquished by seven magnificent warriors, Lavos has laid his head and submitted to the sands of the hourglass; the End of Time is now vacant, and each has returned unto his own era, hailed and received as heroes. Their valor is lofty, and their noble deeds range through the history of mankind, benefitting all with the gifts of their honored quest. While man may always be imperfect, and while some were lost during the effort to secure the salvation of the planet from the alien invader, countless lives have been saved, and the meaning and responsibility of life has once again been placed in the hands of human beings and Mystics alike. The threat has been removed, and the saints of the Chrono Trigger now labor to improve the state of affairs at home.

But the scope of time is never spotless; the spectre of bloody stains now lurks over it once more, as the full repercussions of the trails through time have come to bear. Unrelenting, the cold blizzards pound against the caves and hearts of prehistoric peoples. Unfound, a pure soul remains vanished from the warming tundras of antiquity. Unsuccessful, the knight continues to search for an heir to his legacy. And unabashedly, the nations of the south outfit their clothes with new weapons of war. Only in the future does hope gleam, where the exploits of science will soon afford man a gaze into the stream of time and a view into his past – a vantage point already held by darker forces which, too, overshadow the victory over the apocalypse, and stand poised to introduce new scourges of bloodshed and unrest to history. They may be stopped, however – if the heroes can once again unite; if they can escape and rectify the troubles of their presents, and join as one hand once more, defending and standing fast against the Crimson Echoes.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2005, 12:55:33 pm »
Has anyone ever used Temporal Flux here?

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2005, 06:45:36 pm »
I think I sent you the .ips file where I put Marle in in place of Crono's mom.  So far, I've just scanned over it, other than that.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2005, 09:26:14 pm »
Just wondering; once the plot is finished I'll issue a call for tac-welder TF workers. These guys can meet specific, menial demands and divide up the huge time required to make this.

I need some feedback for emerging plot ideas.

Next rounds of plot-

Ayla and Schala sections already up. Basically, after King Zeal's wishes were magnified and exterminated, the Flame begins to draw upon the wishes of the heroes for chaos when they undergo sensitive moments. This triggers a sunny prehistory for Ayla, the restoration of Queen Zeal and a strange boy, Janus of Zeal, the complete slaughter of all Mystics by Cyrus (a dark wish of Frog's after his transformation), etc. I haven't thought up ideas for what Crono/Marle/Lucca/Robo's dark wishes could be, or how to affect the other periods. Let me know how you like this and where to go with it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 02:25:22 pm »
Noting that at some point, Glenn should go back and visit his old burrow in the Cursed Woods.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 12:19:33 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
I haven't thought up ideas for what Crono/Marle/Lucca/Robo's dark wishes could be, or how to affect the other periods. Let me know how you like this and where to go with it.

Since these four characters show up in some capacity in Chrono Cross, you may be able to tie them together, somehow. All four seem to be pretty darn condemned in that game, which may provide an opportunity for foreshadowing via your "dark wishes."

Just a thought...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 12:34:18 am »
Aha, good idea. They can have fears/wishes about the future, or the past quest. I can also magnify the present plot elements, such as Crono's mounting unwillingness to kill, or Marle's buried pain from the death of her mother.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 10:21:29 pm »
Latest ideas:

Akin to the Magic Cave dilemma, Robo can now equip his arm with beam weaponry that deals magic damage but relatively little physical harm. This will work well in areas like Magic Cave, where enemies have insane physical defense, but are susceptible to magic.

Dragon's Tooth is a really wacky form of Dreamstone

Weird Continuum changed so that it occurs after Glenn is in the party, affording everyone a little scenario

New section added:

Melchior also here informs the party that he was in the process of packing up his tools and moving off the continent of Medina when he was attacked; Belthasar transferred most of his items away, but powerful weapons may have fallen into the hands of the bandits, who may be allied to Porre. He remarks that before his transfer, he had been testing Guardia Rainbow Shell and discovered that the composition of most of the outside layers was dirty and unpure, having mixed with other dusts and metals over millions of years. He postulated that if one could penetrate these layers and tap the pure shell beneath, compressed at the time of Lavos's fall, the most hardest substance known to man could be accessible, and perhaps imbued with special energies due to the coating of magic that occured when Lavos hit the planet. He had no way to test this in the outside world, and only wrote basic theories and made smal applications (nonetheless dangerous in the hands of the wrong). However, in Chronopolis, he has access to temporal energies, where he can put his theories to use. By using a small wormhole gate, he plans to open a portal inside the shell temporally and fission out pure material. He is not skilled enough to shape the Gate fission as to produce a sword instantly, but he can spend a huge amount of time hammering away at the stuff to make it into something useful. He's refining the Rainbow at the moment.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 09:55:10 am »
New plot ideas: (by the way, Radical Dreamers states that a "northern kingdom" held the Flame in the past, and that the Flame was used in the Mammon Machine, so I get to elaborate on these)

The party attend a meeting in the Kingdom of Guardia about the current state of affairs, and in the Vanguard Post, read of the awesome power of the holy artifact that allowed Guardia to be created in a time of tumult and absence of leadership. They learn also that Guardia retained the artifact only the first three centuries of its reign; it was then strangely lost. Belthasar jumps at this and tells the party that this is the Frozen Flame; that he recalls it was used in the Mammon Machine and that his theory being developed has reached a head -- combined with its powers he observed before the fall of Zeal, and other legends and accounts he's been acquiring, the Frozen Flame may be the source of these strange repercussions throughout time, and is certainly capable of it. Knowing that the Vanguards will immediately answer the call, and can mount a very effective ground search combined with Chronopolis's technology, Belthasar requests that Glenn give the order. Luther of the Vanguards is unexpectedly zealous to the call, and the Vanguards are wowed by Glenn's illutrious presence. They immediately spread across the world with zest to find the mysterious artifact.

Like some of the lesser-organized and venal crusades of the middle ages, this effort has an immediately apparent dark side, as the overexcited soldiers refuse to take no for an answer when questioning some, and even pillage storehouses they come across. The villagers of Choras, Porre, Medina, and even Truce are infuriated at this violation of privacy, and only the recent sedation of the Porre army keeps them from viewing the search effort as an outright invasion. Cut to a cutscene; Magus tells Glenn that his villainous band of Vanguards is disgusting; Schala tries to calm his words. Glenn acknowledges that this was not his intent. Though Luther is away, the Knight-Captain and Roget appear (again, these three lead the Vanguard; Luther is sort of PR charismatic leadership vision, Knight-Captain Renault kicks unreal ass, and Roget maintains books, legends, scrolls, logistics, etc. [he's wise]). The Knight-Captain notes that his band of warriors is attempting to reforge a path into the Denadoro Mountains, which have been finally cut off after the peoples of Dorinos moved. Roget expresses interest in the area as well, as even in 600 A.D., the very deepest nests and slopes of the range were never truly penetrated and mapped.

A thought happens upon Crono; the party decide to go check on the great Toma in 602 A.D. He's resting in the Dorino Cafe once more; he hails the party's return and declares that he is following the advice of an ancient prophecy, and is trying to locate four treasure armors that are said to keep the elements in check. The party reluctantly inform him that they found those long ago; he laughs it off well enough, and asks them what they're doing. The party responds that they're searching for a holy atifact, and describe the Frozen Flame. Toma does know of it, but says that its probably fiction or legend, and that they shouldn't waste their time finding it. When asked about good places to hunt legends and treasure, Toma concedes that since the Rainbow Shell has been found, the only real thing left is the Valle Crimse, the mountain behind Guardia Castle. An ancient monastery used to exist there, where the kings of Guardia would retreat to undergo pious study in the first couple centuries of Guardia's reign. He notes that its sort of the proving grounds for thieves and adventurers such as himself, and the place has probably been scraped clean. The party is nonetheless pleased, as the thieves probably have not stooped so low as to have carried away inscriptions on giant stone tablets. They thank him, and depart immediately for the mountain, which is impassable. King Guardia tells them that the knowledge of its access has been kept in his control, occasionally leaking to adventurers, and that he'll grant the party access, since "nothing of value is up there anyway." He then lets it out that he truly thinks the Frozen Flame is a myth, and when asked further, says that Guardia is well enough now, and can do without the aid of mystical items.

The party begin searching; the mountain is almost completely deserted of monsters, having been so well traversed, and so close to the knights of Guardia. They reach the monastery (new tileset will be made for this area), and search around; they eventually reach the highest level, which affords a spectacular view. As they begin searching and reading stuff on the walls, a voice stops them, and out comes a spectre of a knight. His dialogue is very old English and the party cannot understand him; Glenn must come in to translate. The knight remarks that he was one of the old legion of personal bodyguards to King Guardia V, and back in 261 A.D., received appointments to help him conquer the wild tribes of the east. He died honorably in battle there, but his loyalty and valor was of such strength that he did not pass on, but remained, and retreated to the monastery, a place he had often guarded while King Guardia V studied scripts and made plans at the quiet retreat. He is somber about the recent turn of events, which he has viewed from afar; he notes that the old order of Guardian knights is finally dying, replaced by newer soldiers who do not uphold the ideals in complete purity and obedience. He is impressed with Glenn's carrying the Masamune, and reveals himself to be a former wielder. Masa and Mune get some dialogue here, as they remember him as a really great warrior, but kind of too serious for their tastes. The knight then remarks that he plans to retire to the afterlife soon, and that he does know a bit of information on the mystic artifact rarely seen in his time, but always present at the King's request. Desiring one more rush of excitement and vigor through his being, he challenges Crono, the heir of the Kingdom of Guardia, to a one on one match to see if "The Kingdom still has it where it counts." Masa and Mune watch. At the Bottom of the Night plays during the battle.

Crono defeats him, and the knight is somewhat happy. He tells the party that his only knowledge is the quip, "The Crown Star of the Blue Empyrean." (refers to Flame being in sea of El Nido) Before he leaves, Glenn asks him if he has seen or approves of the Vanguard Post he has created. The knight warns that the Flame has its own will, and that no man should know too much about his own destiny, but to never accept less. And even if good endeavours fail, there is no shame in trying with all of your being. He then exits to a portal, leaving Crono a kickass sword -- the Geistrand, perpetually in limbo like the knight, and almost capable of cutting through a person's being and soul due to this aspect. Belthasar calls and notes that they're some of the most privileged people in the world to have the audience of such a person, even in his ghostlike state. He also states that the riddle has him confused, but that he has a lead. Recall in the Prerelease, the Sealed Pyramid had a trove beneath it. Belthasar states that the North Palace ruins are probably intact, and as the creator of that stash, he's got the keys to the place. They journey there, and Belthasar arrives himself to undo the magical seals, with Melchior in attendance. Melchior talks about the Swallow somewhat. The seal is undone, and Belthasar wishes them well. They return to Chronopolis; the party venture inward.

(Music: Keeper's Dome) They find it in pristine condition, and the chests grant some hefty gold. Belthasar notes that a shrine was built in the lowest level, farthest back, and that a simple historical account was maintained there by a guard. Though he's long passed away, the party do find a Nu standing there, looking into the distance. They confront the Nu, who, surprised, blurts out that he was feeling nostalgic, and found this place. He notes that he will be going now, but the party tell him it is okay, and Belthasar talks to him over the transceiver. The Nu translates the historical account, which mentions the integration of the Flame into the Mammon Machine: "And raised, it shone with Diamonds Million, piercing the eyes of all who gazed upon it." The Nu has some difficulty with the DM term, since its written in ornate script. Belthasar notes that Diamonds Million was a sorcery term, describing a special kind of effervescence that high level fire-elemental spells emitted. He is pleased, as he can now limit his searches of radiation and magic effects to this kind.

Back in 1002 A.D., the Vanguards are being blocked by a huge mudslide that occurred a hundred years ago and has caused the entrance to the slim valley leading to the heart of the mountains to be impassably blocked. Lamenting that it will take months to clear a way through, the party nonetheless get the idea that perhaps triggering the impending slide in 602 A.D will allow ample time for erosion, perhaps freeing the way in the future. They get to the task; a member expresses some worry, but the party eventually snaps to the task and causes the mudslide. Returning to the future, they find the Vanguards advancing happily as if nothing happens. They arise from an encampment, and attempt to get started when a Porre scout arrives on the scene and demands to know what is going. Informed by the zealous Vanguards that a search mission is underway, the scout freaks out and takes off sprinting in the direction he came. The Vanguards dismiss him as a timid creature; Roget is worried about the implications, stating that the Vanguard had better finish this Denadoro search and leave to avoid tension. Belthasar calls in with another recommendation for the party; he states that before Zeal was raised high, sacred sites existed on the planet's crust that held archives of magic, or were charged with elemental power. While most of these were decomissioned or raised, one or two may still exist. The party then asks him with common sense why in the world they just do not visit Zeal and read the tomes there; Belthasar notes that the implementation of the Flame was a very secretive operation, and that only he and the other Gurus knew about it (after all, he did have the "Red Rock" entry in his book in his Kajar room). The Guru of Reason states that the party will be assisted in their search for these sacred sites by the use of markers he will place on the party's commlink map screen. The party depart to Chronopolis and begin to head for the Dispatch Chamber; Melchior stops them and remarks that he once maintained a storehouse on the ground, built for experimental technology he deemed unfit for the people of Zeal to currently wield. Its magical auras were dampened with a seal, so it will not show on Belthasar's improved world map. However, should they find it, he can accomplish some new things with the technology there.

There are five areas to explore; they include the Salr Riki (hall-kingdom), Forlogborg (fate city), Maerr (glorious), Hyrrdis (fiery grave), and Svyrdass (sword-god), Melchior's small hideaway. Salr Riki is a former throne room, predating Zeal and seemingly of only temporary use. A special accessory is available here, which will have an effect on magic. Forlogborg seems to be a town of sorts, but gaping holes in its floor lead downard to bottomless pits, leaving much of it inexplorable. Of note are two intact skeletons, with Zealian shrouds over them; Belthasar notes that they were part of an expeditionary force assigned to census these old locations and determine any usefulness. The party properly buries them, and nets a knife/staff for Schala (either will work, as Zealian agents carried both). An inscription on the entrance tile reads, "Precious Incarnadine,' perhaps a reference to the color of the Flame and its possible presence here long ago. Maerr is a mere shrine to the planet, and a shawl laid over it and absorbant of the shrine's original power can be used as armor for the female members of the party. Hyrrdis is originally unable to be accessed; the party consult the elder of the village, who reveals that merely in spoken Earthbound legend, the shameful kings and lords of those who did not live in the caves were put to death and placed in a shrine, and that this is the only recorded burial of their race (those that predate Zeal).

A former Zealian who was part of the expeditionary force's administration notes that Hyrrdis lay within a mountain cave several fathoms deep. He then regrets the fall of Zeal, and forgetting Schala's face. He does state that it should remain intact within the mountain. Belthasar radios that yes, he has known where it is, but has been working to solve the problem of penetration itself. The party then ask a fisherman for advice; he replies that yes, the building of sea-travelling vessels is beginning to emerge, and shows off his rudimentary boat. Belthasar notes that the party could possibly use it to reach the island, but it would require upgrades to withstand hours at sea. Off the crew go to the guy in 602 A.D. with tools; they find him in the bar with Toma. They borrow the tools; Toma asks what they're using them for, and if they've found something that's eluded him. They return, and fix the boat, and sail off to the edge of the mountain.

Stuff to come
-Bandits in on eof the ruins
-Ghost/Dagger in Hyrrde
-Party goes on a bit of treasure hunting in each era
-Eventually tracks
-Go to El Nido in 1000 A.D. (of course nothing is there but the Flame)
-Try to take the Flame, but King Zeal unleashes its full power
-Breaking Point

Sidequests
-Visit the Larubans (who have the Sun Stone)
-Help Ozzie, Slash, and Flea contain some demon they accidentally unleashed (they eventually depart to travel through time on an adventure)
-Help Toma stake a claim to fame so he can seal a marriage (bringing about Toma XIII in Chrono Cross)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 07:01:45 pm »
Mental note: Make some plot point that deals with rain, and involve Fiona's Shrine in the plot somehow.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 03:05:13 am »
Lucca's dark desire would probably be science related.

Nich Maragos (a freelance game journalist) wrote fan fiction for Lucca in the NuRPG.  At one point, she had a complete mental breakdown and split into two personas (much like Gollum or the episode of Star Trek where Kirk is doubled via a transporter glitch).  Her personas were pure, clinical, steralized, no-ethics science on one side and the wild passionate girl she had deeply repressed on the other.

Neither was really good or evil (though the passionate persona seemed to have more negative traits), but the science persona strongly desired to become a Technorg (a cybernetic species devoted to the same sort of "pure" science), which would have annihilated her emotions and pretty much everything that made her human.  You can read the climax of it here if you like (I co-authored this chapter).  A warning: should you wander around that site, keep in mind that not all of our authors produced works of art like Hamlet.  ;)

---T.Geiger

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2005, 02:03:32 am »
Lucca is into science, but she doesn't want to be a freaking Borg.  She knows from experience that resistance is never futile.  But that can be exploited as well.

Basically, the route we're trying to take (or that I imagine, anyway, because I've worked on a lot of this plot) for the void section is to have it be somewhat like each individual character's "Jedi Trial" as it were (i.e. Luke going into the cave in ESB, the Exile facing the Mandalorian Wars again in KOTOR 2, Mara Jade fighting a clone of herself in Mysteries of the Sith) -- in general, something that resonates deeply on a personal and story-related level, something that conveys the same kind shock in Chrono Cross when all of a sudden, you find out you're in Lynx's body and your whole identity has been ripped right out from under you.

Memories of the quest against Lavos would no doubt come into play in all eight (?) scenarios, from the first trip through time all the way up to the final battle.  I suppose a vision of a future world where science has suppressed humanity, something like THX-1138, would be in order.  This world would demonstrate the toxicity inherent in humanity, and the control freak, the Lavos, in all of us.

I have garnered more knowledge of Temporal Flux, and I created a rearrangement of the OSV of the Magus battle theme.  Unfortunately, I have nowhere to host it, and thus no way to post it.

DivineDragoonKain

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2005, 06:48:53 pm »
Send it to DivineDragoonKain@gmail.com, and I'll put it up on my crappy Geocities server. =P Let me know when you send it, if you can/will. I'm Ultrainer2000 on AIM.