Author Topic: Chrono Crisis March Update  (Read 22213 times)

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Chronologically Correct
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
Chrono Crisis March Update
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:33:10 pm »
Hello all! Lots of good news, so let's get right to it!

The artwork for Raia Ashtear (Formerly named Lutania) has been finalized and completed!

Her info here on the forum has also been updated.

In addition to Raia's finalized artwork, a finalized design has been made by DodgingTires for Calypso. It will later be redrawn by Dice to match the Crisis style, but I'd really like to show off this amazing art of Calypso in her concert attire.

Check out her cute little sprite, too!

I signed a new Ruby coder onto the team and he's gotten right to work on the battle system! That said, I decided it was time to finalize its layout and structure. We decided to stick with the smaller sprite size, BUT battles will take place on the map just like in Chrono Trigger. Lena created a mock up which you can see below.

Keep in mind that it has NOT been skinned yet and this is just a basic layout. However, there will be several different themed skins that you can change at will for both the battle system and message window. Onto the mechanics!

"How will it work?" you might ask. Well, it's pretty simple. Battles are fought in ATB (hence the gauges). Once a character's turn comes up, a ring of commands (Attack, Item, Support Tech, and Tech List) will appear around them. You select your choice by pressing up, left, right, or down, whichever commands corresponds to that direction. If Attack is chosen, you will choose an enemy and that character will run up to them and you will then have to enter button commands consisting of A, B, and Y (Space, Shift, and Enter for you keyboard users). Each attack will reduce your Stamina, indicated by the number in the circle on each character's info box.

Simple enough, eh? Things get a little more fun with techs. In Crisis, techs work just like a combo attack (as they always have). Each one has a combination of keys you have to hit. Techs consume more stamina than a normal attack (each has a base cost on top of the cost of reaching the tech with your successive attacks). If you don't have enough stamina left to perform the tech after you've built it up, it won't happen.

The "tech list" button is a list of your available techs. Scroll down to the tech you want to view and press accept. This list also tells you the base cost of each tech. If you hit left or right on this screen, you will be taken to your learned double and triple techs. Clicking accept on these items will display who the techs are to be preformed with, what each combination is, and how much it will cost with each character.

How do dual and triple techs work, anyway? Just like in Trigger (and Cross), double and triple techs become available when two or three characters have all learned certain prerequisite techniques that they can combine into a coordinated strike. Also, in order to activate this move, both characters have to have turns available at the time. In Crisis, the idea is the same, but the payoff is a little higher. Of course, because of this, it's a little more difficult than just picking what you want to do out of a list.

Basically, your techs build on each other. Say you want to perform a double tech that requires Xavier and Matison. First, you'd take your lead character (we'll say it's Xavier. It could be either one, really), and begin your attack. Your first goal is to set off the single tech that builds into the dual tech. Once you do that successfully, Xavier will perform the single tech. This is your chance! During the single tech, if a dual is possible, you will see a "L" or "R" over your character's head. If you press L (or R), you'll get a notification that you've set a dual strike. The action will freeze, and you will have a set time limit to enter the command for the second character. If you can't remember your tech, you can call up the tech menu (probably with select, L or R) and view the list. There's a time limit though, so don't dawdle too long. Enter it correctly, and your dual tech will begin after the damage from the single is dealt.

Triples are the same as this, only you have two characters involved. You would see "L" over the head of one character, and "R" over the head of the other during your single. First you'd select a character just as though you were going to do a dual tech (and enter the commands). During the dual tech, you have to select your third character in the same way, enter their commands, and sit back and enjoy the chaos that ensues.

It's sort of complicated sounding when written out, but it'll make for battles that are a little more interesting than the everyday "point and click" variety. It should also make for some really cool combination attacks as you're literally attacking 3 times (single, dual, and finally triple).

Aside from Attack and Tech List, Item is of course selected in order to use whatever items you possess in your inventory, and Support Tech is for using healing Techs/Magic and stat raising Techs/Magic. These don't require button inputs like weapon based techs. And there you have it! There will be a more in depth explanation with pictures on the forum sometime soon, so if you're confused on something be sure to check for that in the near future.

In other news...

Roe has completed a nice heap of songs, and a new clip has been uploaded! It's a remake of a previous clip representing the "Boss 2" theme, The Enemy Intensifies. Feast your ears on "Good Will Triumph" below:

http://www.chrono-crisis.com/im/mp3/good_will_triumph.mp3

Lena has made good progress on the battle sprites as well as other in-game sprites! (Also redoing the whole character section without breaking the site! Wooo! -Lena)

I've made significant progress on the game script as well as finalized the lyrics for the song to be performed by Calypso during the Millennial Celebration!

Xenith has made progress on designing and coloring more weapons!

That's all for now! Be sure to check out the forum for a lot of new information on the 1999 AD characters as well as profiles and sprites for newly revealed minor characters!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Crisis March Update
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »
Superior job as always, Crisis Team.

I'm especially hyped about the way the battle system is shaping up. This is gonna be worth the wait.

Nickolz

• Porrean (+50)
  • Dreambender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:24:49 pm »
... button commands consisting of A, B, and Y (Space, Shift, and Enter for you keyboard users).

So, that means, umm... will I be able to play Crisis using my own controller? =D (that is, after I buy my own controller =D)

Chains Of Fate

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
  • Chronologically Correct
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Crisis Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:31:39 pm »
Yes, RPG Maker XP games are joypad compatible.

Nickolz

• Porrean (+50)
  • Dreambender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:48:48 pm »
Sounds like I should already be aware of that...

Good news for me, anyway ^^

Darkshadw

• Porrean (+50)
  • RAWR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 12:01:52 am »
Fantastic! Nice to see such an ambitious project in the works. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Anacalius

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Boredom is not a burden that anyone should bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:21:33 am »
Of all the on-going projects out there, I look forward to this the most. This really looks professional and down-right amazing! I really like the character sprites and Guardia forest looks beautiful! That battle system sounds great. I guess my only question is: How's the difficulty? I love a challenging RPG, myself.

By the way, Raia's artwork is great. Well done. ^^

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »
Damn, looks like I've got a lot to catch up on.  This looks great.  Time to walk backwards and see what I run into.

brifye19

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
  • The black wind howls again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:48:59 am »
So is this Game Going to be solely done on rpg maker?

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:08:01 pm »
xD I'm looking forward to playing it, but I dunno if the Cafe allows me to download Gigs worth files.  :(

Anywhos, you blokes also gonna use that Flash FMV sequence script in RMXP? ;o That'd be cool!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:57:58 pm »
is this project dead? i know that roe left the team, as well as xenith, and the crisis website's last news post was more than seven months ago. the most recent post on the compendium was a year ago.

is significant progress being made? or are things at a standstill? i liked the demo they released, and it just seems like every time they have a staff change, they change the entire game, and throw away everything they've done. if so, are roe's 100+ songs still going to be featured in crisis if it ever gets finished?

what about post ct ds? does that change the story at all?

i don't want to know when the game will be finished, nor do i care too much. but i would like to know if it's HAD any updates since they were last posted, as there is crisis stuff all over the compendium forums.

no offense, and please don't hate me for asking, but what is the deal?

The Gundanium Alchemist

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 01:28:36 pm »
No, it's not dead.
The website is inactive and it seems they don't like to display progress.
Roe made 97 tracks and all or most will be featured in the game.
I don't think Chrono Trigger DS will change anything.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:12:26 pm »
Crisis is alive and kicking.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »
that's good that they're still using roe's songs. i enjoyed most of them that i've heard.

but if anyone from crisis is reading this, please at least update the home page with something newer than roe's post, if only to stop such questions. not a command by any means, just a humble request.

i still look forward to the game. i dont want the project to die. i ask because i care.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:56:44 pm »
"Crisis Forum Members:

Greetings from your local Lucca fanboy and Menu Programmer, Ghost.  This PM is being sent to all forum members, moderators, and administration in kind alongside PMs sent by other team members working on the project.  I know that I should not drag this out too long, and many of you have had your own speculations over the course of the passed year, at least the time I have been on board.  Therefore, allow me to put an end to anxiety and fear alongside a new branch of hope for the project in saying that Chrono Crisis is now soley in the hands of Chains and that the project known as Chrono Ark is now in our hands (i.e. Lena, Xen, Chum, Roe, myself, D-ko, Val, and others).  In short, those listed (and presumed) have officially as of now left the Crisis team in favor of continuing and finishing the project under the name you have read: Chrono Ark

Now without having been part of the behind-the-scenes action, it might be rather difficult for many of you to fully appreciate the situation and the actions which have led up to this point.  If that is the case for you, please take the time to read the following reasoning behind our actions.  Just as Jefferson wrote reasons for their disbanment from British rule in the Declaration of Independence, I too shall justify our reasoning.

Before I came aboard, many incidences had happened, including the former programmer’s (Raiju) leaving.  While it was stated she just up and left, that isn’t fully the story.  Certain actions, mainly that of lack of communication, were part of her own reasons, frustration, and decision to leave without any warning.  As you know Roe and Xen had officially left the team for other reasons not stated, though Roe did list many of them on his own behalf.  To be honest, the leadership/management provided by Chains of Fate has not been anywhere near “fair” or “reasonable.”  In fact, Chains has often been lax in providing updates, initially undesiring in allowing inter-team chatting unless Chains himself was part of it.  In short, he is a control freak, trying to manage every part of the project, which has previously left a lack of serious miscommunication among team members.  In my case, I highly insisted and found ways to get in contact with members in order to communicate my needs !
 directly to the team to create progress for there is no “I” in team.

Chains, while we understand his own health issues, has used his health as an excuse many-a-time to explain why he was late in providing certain needed data.  He has often blamed his needs to visit a hospital or stress, and while this is valid most of the time, if one is unable to do the job, then one needs a back-up plan, which was never the case.  In addition, we have found that Chains takes criticism far too unprofessionally, such as certain views of characters and how we, as a team, believe there are too many.

Chains has also been unwilling to call team meetings on the premise that there have been no “real updates” to discuss.  Despite inexistance of updates, it is in the other team members’s opinion (myself included) that team meetings not only reaffirm one’s team-based accountability for work, but help keep the team updated on any progress or lack of.  If one person is bogged down with a particular part of the project, and another can help by starting/continuing something, then so be it; however, this action is unable to take place if no communication exists.  Communication is a distinct key to any successful inner-workings of a team.

Chains has also kept no back-ups of turned-in data from anyone.  Nor has he found a way (and a way did exist) to back up data and allow the team to post their data.  An acute example of this would be the former-programmer Tyk’s battle code (yes former).  While Tyk made great progress with the battle code and Chains at some point must have obtained a back-up, Tyk eventually lost all his data, and has left the team to persue his own desires and projects.  Thus, myself and D-ko have made the great endevor to create the battle algorithm from the base. 

If any of you are wondering that progress, techs are currently 55% operable. Multiple attacks are being implemented, ATB is set-up with interfaces (that work).  As for my menus, the Profile section is 99% complete, and I am waiting on Lena to provide graphics for the Save menu.  Upon starting working amongst ourselves, you can see that we have done quite a bit in a short period of time.  This is the way the project should have progressed from the beginning.

The future of Chrono Ark is now and certain changes have been made to Xavier, Matison, Celia, and Lutania in order to respect the fact the names themselves were Chain’s own.  He is keeping all of Crisis that was actually his own making (very little) while the team goes on to complete the game.  To be honest, the first part of the game has not even been complete. Chains has been constantly editing the script, making changes without even consulting his team for their opinion until recently, sharing the fact these changes existed with me only.  Chains has not been constant with replies to any one of us.  However, the planning, scripting, and such for the rest of the game has been started and is in our hands and official ownership.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this project is NOT dead.  It has only had a make-over, and it will be finished!

If you wanted a date to hold us to, we are GIVING you a date. Hold us to it. We’re holding each other to it. We’re keeping it realistic. We are doing everything in our power to make this story go through, and you will have a working game that you can be proud of and know you waited patiently for despite all the drama in the backgrounds.

My friends. My teammates. My fellow board members.  We are no longer a team. We are a council. There is no leadership, but a group-based desire to succeed.  At one point, Crisis began to bring gloom because the love had become stressed, but now we’re back.  We’re going to do this.  We’re going to give you at least a working demo that leaves you hungry and wanting the rest by January 2010!  Hold us to it. I know we’ll hold ourselves to it.

Respectfully yours,

Patrick Gibby
Ghost
Chrono Ark
Technical Director"

http://kagerostudios.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=idx - New site.