Poll

Who is your favorite Chrono Trigger character?

Crono
13 (17.6%)
Marle
4 (5.4%)
Lucca
8 (10.8%)
Robo
3 (4.1%)
Frog
14 (18.9%)
Ayla
4 (5.4%)
Magus
28 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: December 27, 2004, 01:34:40 am

Author Topic: 1/1/05 - Who is your favorite Chrono Trigger character?  (Read 8960 times)

Kenshin II

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
1/1/05 - Who is your favorite Chrono Trigger character?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 06:45:11 pm »
Frog all the way  :D

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 01:53:04 am »
I still don't get why you guys even like Ayla!  She barely has any storyline.  She only has two are three really good scenes.  She has no depth!

sarua

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 06:21:50 pm »
Quote from: Peaceman
I still don't get why you guys even like Ayla!  She barely has any storyline.  She only has two are three really good scenes.  She has no depth!

What "depth" do you want from prehistoric human? Imho she is very logical character.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 10:58:21 pm »
well, yeah, but still...the other characters have so much more going for them!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 05:03:37 pm »
Magus, duh, I did a freakin' fanfic of the guy...

I like a lot of the others as well...I'm less inclined to go with Glenn though, he was always just far too emotionally (and Magically...and even physically he was 2nd or 3rd worst) weak. He relied too much on the kindness of strangers...or friends...man, did I just use a quote from Gone With the Wind?

Well, Magus...He had the greatest, and greatest abundance of, quotes.

There's a note here...Shall we burn it?

Classic! :wink:

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 07:13:07 pm »
I voted Lucca.  Interest in science resonates with me.  Her relationship with Robo was really cute, though it includes all the cliches and oversimplifications that usually come with AI in popular fiction–which, incidentally, is why Lucca beat out Robo.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 08:33:47 pm »
Magus is probably the most interesting.

Marle is probably the cutest and most fun.

Frog/Glenn is probably the most useful - and easily the most tragic.

Lucca is probably the funniest.

Ayla is probably the strongest in battle.

Robo (ironically) has probably the deepest personality.

But for me, Crono is the coolest. He has lightning powers and uses katana for weapons. What could be cooler than that?

Fox

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fox.calcpages.com
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 07:03:38 pm »
Lucca. A mad scientist who's funny, pretty, smart, and powerful? What could be better?

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 04:14:18 pm »
Crono, his personality is something I strive to uphold. The way he goes about the game, just no comparison. If I can be half the man he is I will die happy.

pokemon_45_79_1

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 04:14:32 am »
I like Crono because the game revolves around him. Crono happy personality is something because he never seems to feel sad. Crono is also one of the best fighters in the game. He almost compares to Magus except Magus does have a medium defense but not as high as Crono's.[/quote]

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 06:35:31 pm »
I, of course, as if you would ever think otherwise, have dutifully--and faithfully, if I might add, which I will, and have--added, that is--voted for my favourite character, whose namesake is, and was, and ever shall be, known by a series of four letters--the first of which corresponds to the sixth letter of the alphabet, the second the eighteenth, the third the fourteenth, and, ultimately, the ultimate letter corresponding ultimately to the ultmative note of the western musical scale: "Frog!"

Azarath

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 07:57:17 pm »
It was diffucult for me. I absolutely love Magus, and Crono! But I went with the old school, fancy talking smart-ass that is Magus.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 02:56:44 pm »
I'm finally ready to vote for this! For the longest time I couldn't decide. And I'm still not sure that I would decide between just one character, but for this poll I voted for Ayla. It's between her and Lucca, who ironically are both characters I did not think terribly highly of when I first played the game. I couldn't stand Ayla's dialect, and Lucca fell flat.

But looking back into the heart of the story, and at the characters just itching to be seized upon by your imagination, I think Lucca and Ayla have the best stories to tell. In terms of personality I'm more like Lucca than the other six, but I chose Ayla because I think she is the single most underrated character in the game, and the single most elegant. Goodness knows I underrated her too...and for a long time. But I see now, in my wiser years, that her backstory is at least as compelling as anyone else's, although it's a bit more subtle to grasp. She is pivotal in the moment of human ascension to speciary supremacy in the world, and her vivacity saved the human species not only from a war of evolution, but from the catastrophe of Lavos.

She is a stronger person, from a simpler time, and to me she represents a world not in human prehistory but in the human future, a world of elegant logic, free from the corruption and deception of our own human weakness. Ayla's endearing virtue is that she understood that you do what you can, and you do what's best...and nothing less. If you succeed in that, you live. If not, you die. It is one of the only inviolable rules in the heavens above or on the Earth below...and one that her era recognized more clearly than we do, as though common sense were some lost, vestigial ability in our era. Now, of course, the definition of "best" is of course grounds for generations of debate yet to come, but the point is that I admire the fact that it never even occurs to Ayla to linger on emotional drama, or to try to manipulate or deceive people, or to do what's not best. She is incredibly disciplined in that regard.

But she also enjoys the sensual pleasures of life, which monotheistic religion has spent thousands of years trying to wipe from of the human condition. She seems to revel in every type of pleasure there is, and in that basic wisdom she both precedes our religious backwardness and represents its ultimate, inevitable defeat.

Ayla is a corporeal lick of fire who knows what she is about. That is more than most of us can say, for all our 65 million years of evolution.

And of course, I very much appreciate that Ayla is the strongest physical character in the game, and a woman. This was groundbreaking for RPGs of the day, and you still won't find it to be a terribly common theme even today. To some people who are driven by sexual desire or sexist derision, or both, Ayla is easy to objectify, but from her own behavior in the game it seems pretty obvious that Ayla just doesn't care about gender roles and the battle of the sexes. In fact, there's only one line in the whole game--the one about Kino being a man--that throws any sort of shadow over her magnificent ability to combine the modernly incompatible traits of being a woman and being, if you will humor the idiot, "on top." Truly, given the context of the player of the game, who lives in a sexist world in which Ayla would be utterly foreign, this club-wielding berserker is a symbol for all human beings, that, with passion and intelligence, and so much ambition varnished over in zeal, we can be who we are, and damn anyone who tells us No.

Definitely, the best character in the game.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 04:34:59 pm »
Quote from: Lord J esq
I'm finally ready to vote for this! For the longest time I couldn't decide. And I'm still not sure that I would decide between just one character, but for this poll I voted for Ayla. It's between her and Lucca, who ironically are both characters I did not think terribly highly of when I first played the game. I couldn't stand Ayla's dialect, and Lucca fell flat.

But looking back into the heart of the story, and at the characters just itching to be seized upon by your imagination, I think Lucca and Ayla have the best stories to tell. In terms of personality I'm more like Lucca than the other six, but I chose Ayla because I think she is the single most underrated character in the game, and the single most elegant. Goodness knows I underrated her too...and for a long time. But I see now, in my wiser years, that her backstory is at least as compelling as anyone else's, although it's a bit more subtle to grasp. She is pivotal in the moment of human ascension to speciary supremacy in the world, and her vivacity saved the human species not only from a war of evolution, but from the catastrophe of Lavos.

She is a stronger person, from a simpler time, and to me she represents a world not in human prehistory but in the human future, a world of elegant logic, free from the corruption and deception of our own human weakness. Ayla's endearing virtue is that she understood that you do what you can, and you do what's best...and nothing less. If you succeed in that, you live. If not, you die. It is one of the only inviolable rules in the heavens above or on the Earth below...and one that her era recognized more clearly than we do, as though common sense were some lost, vestigial ability in our era. Now, of course, the definition of "best" is of course grounds for generations of debate yet to come, but the point is that I admire the fact that it never even occurs to Ayla to linger on emotional drama, or to try to manipulate or deceive people, or to do what's not best. She is incredibly disciplined in that regard.

But she also enjoys the sensual pleasures of life, which monotheistic religion has spent thousands of years trying to wipe from of the human condition. She seems to revel in every type of pleasure there is, and in that basic wisdom she both precedes our religious backwardness and represents its ultimate, inevitable defeat.

Ayla is a corporeal lick of fire who knows what she is about. That is more than most of us can say, for all our 65 million years of evolution.

And of course, I very much appreciate that Ayla is the strongest physical character in the game, and a woman. This was groundbreaking for RPGs of the day, and you still won't find it to be a terribly common theme even today. To some people who are driven by sexual desire or sexist derision, or both, Ayla is easy to objectify, but from her own behavior in the game it seems pretty obvious that Ayla just doesn't care about gender roles and the battle of the sexes. In fact, there's only one line in the whole game--the one about Kino being a man--that throws any sort of shadow over her magnificent ability to combine the modernly incompatible traits of being a woman and being, if you will humor the idiot, "on top." Truly, given the context of the player of the game, who lives in a sexist world in which Ayla would be utterly foreign, this club-wielding berserker is a symbol for all human beings, that, with passion and intelligence, and so much ambition varnished over in zeal, we can be who we are, and damn anyone who tells us No.

Definitely, the best character in the game.

(Giagantic roar of applause)

Nice to see someone else that appreciates her as much as I do.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2005, 08:57:24 am »
Yeah, Ayla has a powerful Id & Superego that seem to really drive her actions...If I may get Freudian on yo ass.