Author Topic: Chrono characters appearing in a fighting game?! YES!  (Read 3192 times)

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
    • http://specter.sheezyart.com
Chrono characters appearing in a fighting game?! YES!
« on: March 21, 2008, 06:53:51 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen, I have caught wind of something that I think Chrono series fans everywhere will be interested in. I'm not entirely sure of the details (because I can't read Spanish), but there is a fighting game currently in development featuring a truly VAST array of characters, including several Chrono characters! The name of the game is Card Sagas Wars, and they're already far enough along in development to have a trailer with actual in-game footage. Click HERE for their website and HERE for the trailer video!

Here's the Chrono characters currently listed on their site's gallery as being playable:

CLICK HERE to see the character list in its entirety. These game designers are crazy ambitious!! :D Plus there's a separate gallery, the "red cards", specifically for monsters. With any luck some old school baddies like Zombor, Heckran, and either a Lavos Spawn or the terrible Lavos himself might end up joining the list!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono characters appearing in a fighting game?! YES!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:20 pm »
Oh. My.

Good Friday indeed.

Specter, HUUUUUUUGE thanks.

EDIT: Shoot, it's not an official game, is it? Do you happen to know if this was done by the same folks who did Valkyrie Fight Tag?

EDIT: Know what this means everyone? A Xenogears or Valkyrie Profile type fangame with Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy, among other, characters, is going to be doable. Hm, hm, hm...HA HA HA HA HA!! Ahem. That's IF the sprite sheets are ever released. Quizas seria posible convencerlos a entregar los sprites al "Spriter's Resource."

EDIT: I've got this posted in GameFAQs' Chrono Trigger section. You're credited with the info, Specter. Have you let any of the other Chrono boards know about this?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:28:36 pm by FaustWolf »

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »
This is the first and only Chrono forum I've told about this. And a reference to The Spriter's Resource, eh? Most interesting...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 08:05:59 pm »
Whoops, haha, that reference to the Spriter's Resource is my own -- I was musing in Spanish as to whether or not the spriters would be willing to release their fan-made goodness. My bad.

I'm going to spread around word about this. It's too freaking awesome to be known only by Spanish-speaking peoples.

EDIT: The seeds of knowledge have been dispersed in the four winds, and have found their way to GameFAQs' CT and CC boards, ChronoShock, and Chrono Crisis' CT board.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:18:16 pm by FaustWolf »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
There's a video Trailer for this game.  It shows crono for about 6 seconds doing his battle stance.  It looks stunning.

Specter

• Porrean (+50)
  • Aphotic Fortissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:44:43 pm »
Indeed so, Justin. For the curious, you can find a link to a YouTube copy of that video trailer in my first post. Chrono shows up at around 1 minute 30 seconds into the video; watch for him in the lower right corner.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:14:01 pm »
Whoever's in charge of CrystalTechStudios may have submitted some of the sprites used in the project:
http://www.crystaltechstudios.com/sprites.html

Notice Celes and Fei on that page -- I think they're the very same sprites used in-game for Card Sagas Wars. I think several others from that page made it into the game as well.

This is just awesome.

Their updates page (3/15/08) says they've got all the art done and are in bugtesting mode right now. They project having a demo available within a few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 10:17:58 pm by FaustWolf »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:43:09 pm »
beautiful spritework...

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:33 am »
Jajaa un juego de pelea de Chrono.
I am looking foward to it. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:43:00 am by MagilsugaM »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 08:53:09 pm »
Hey, not all the Chrono characters are listed in your post, Specter. This is okay though, I'm gonna have fun looking through this even without these characters in. Dang..

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:55:25 pm »
Oh my god.

This game is made out of win its like ultimate super smash bros.

Ultimate Characters

Master Chief
Link
Chrono/Cross Characters
WinSauce

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:04 pm »
During a discussion at the Chrono Crisis forums we've learned that not *all* 900 of those characters are going to be playable, darn! Only 4 characters are going to be playable for the beta demo (KOS-MOS, MegamanX, Cloud, and Link), but the list will be expanded gradually as time goes on. The key is, how is the spriting team going to decide which characters to complete?

We know that Crono is playable judging from the preview video they have, though.

What I'm most thrilled about is the existence of the sprites themselves. They could probably be ported into Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, the Tales games, etc., (hell, maybe even Dragon Force) for some good ol' RPG action. They may or may not release the sprite sheets -- but as with any other game, there must no doubt be a way to rip them. Those sprites are just *too* beautiful to pass up, though I wouldn't submit them to the Spriters' Resource out of courtesy (that site specializes specifically in official or self-made sprites). Here's to hoping they just release the sprites so I can stop worrying about moral dilemmas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:17:50 pm by FaustWolf »

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 09:26:07 pm »
During a discussion at the Chrono Crisis forums we've learned that not *all* 900 of those characters are going to be playable, darn! Only 4 characters are going to be playable for the beta demo (KOS-MOS, MegamanX, Cloud, and Link), but the list will be expanded gradually as time goes on. The key is, how is the spriting team going to decide which characters to complete?

We know that Crono is playable judging from the preview video they have, though.

What I'm most thrilled about is the existence of the sprites themselves. They could probably be ported into Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, the Tales games, etc., (hell, maybe even Dragon Force) for some good ol' RPG action. They may or may not release the sprite sheets -- but as with any other game, there must no doubt be a way to rip them. Those sprites are just *too* beautiful to pass up, though I wouldn't submit them to the Spriters' Resource out of courtesy (that site specializes specifically in official or self-made sprites). Here's to hoping they just release the sprites so I can stop worrying about moral dilemmas.

Damn well I hope that Magus and Frog make it in as well.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 09:41:34 pm »
Oh my Gawd!!! @_@ This is nice =)

Ahruon

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:50 am »
Hi, i'm one of the creators of the game.

I'd like to clarify that not all the Chrono cast will be playable.. sorry. Crono will be the representative of Chrono Trigger, but the other allies will make an apparence in Crono's movements. Kid might be in too, she's my favourite from Chrono Cross.