Author Topic: "Best" version of Chrono Trigger to buy?  (Read 467 times)

Anon

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
"Best" version of Chrono Trigger to buy?
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »
I'm interested in re-purchasing Chrono Trigger in order to experience it again, but I'm unsure of which version to get. I own the PS3 and it has backwards compatibility with PSX games (but not PS2 games, since I have no emotion chip); my ideal version should include the new anime-cut-scenes.

I figured it's best to ask this community since you are all fans of the game. I've heard the Final Fantasy Chronicles edition contains long loading times. The 1999 re-release isn't released in NA, but I'm thinking I can get an imported version, assuming it has faster load times -- is the load time not an issue with the 1999 edition, or is it just as slow as the 2001 re-release? If the 2001 release's load times aren't THAT bad, I might consider getting this instead, just because I get to also enjoy Final Fantasy IV since I've never played it. But I'm waiting on confirmation of the load times I have to endure.

There is also a Greatest Hits re-release of the 2001 edition Final Fantasy Chronicles, and I'm wondering if Sony has resolved the load-time issues in this re-release, or is it basically the exact same disc repackaged, with no changes?

I'm reading the Wiki on Chrono Trigger at Wikipedia, and it states the many Extras that come with the 1999 release. I've also read that the 2001 release has many extras, but I'm wondering if they're the SAME extras, and if not, what are the differences in the Extras? Maybe I can weigh the options and consider which one is suited for me (maybe different endings, depending on which edition)

One extra I like from the 1999 one is the ability to earn stuff "not sure what stuff means" if I complete the different endings. Is this the same with the 2001 edition, or exclusive to the other?

Thanks a lot in advance!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: "Best" version of Chrono Trigger to buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:11:34 am »
Um, the 1999 on is just when the Japanese version of the PSX port was released...the Greatest Hits are the same as well.

The stuff you earn is just the extras...which are mostly unnecessary things like item map locations & monster stats...both of which are really irrelevant since you have to at least beat the game once to get any of the 'extras'...the only kind of cool thing is that one of the extras is the 'Music Box' feature which plays songs from the game, including some of the unreleased tracks...though it's nothing you can't easily find on the net. The anime cut scenes are nice enough for Toriyama underling creations...kind of inconsistent at points this Compendiumer will always point out...but there's also a new ending tack-on that makes the CT CC connection clearer...or at least more concrete. But again, not something you can't just watch on YouTube...It's not like your money's going to somehow find it's way back to Square is all I'm saying...If you're a big fan, might as well, I guess...The load times are bearable...make sure to equip in shops so you can get around having to open up the Menu Screen! That's one of the real killers...there's a slightly longer pause when it switches to a battle scene as well, but nothing big...FFIV has some sound issues & saving takes quite a bit of time as well...I'd suggest FFIV Advance or wait a bit for FFIV DS instead if you wanna play FFIV.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
Re: "Best" version of Chrono Trigger to buy?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:18 am »
I have the PSX Chrono Trigger is better than the snes version and it has 32-bit colour.