Author Topic: CHRONO TRIGGER 13th BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE (GOODIES!!)  (Read 3877 times)

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
Re: CHRONO TRIGGER 13th BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE (GOODIES!!)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 11:11:47 pm »
The problem is finding some sort of 3D engine. There's Multi Media Fusion for 2D stuff -- if you've got some $$ to fork over, that is. In any case, if there ever is a 3D game creation package, one would have to know a programming language to take full advantage of it. I'm putting all my eggs in the Python basket, since a.) Luminaire has proved it extremely useful for model viewing and b.) MMF is likely going to implement a Python module; and MMF might go 3D some day, perhaps by the time enough resources are liberated to begin thinking about huge fan game projects.

I'm not a computer scientist, but to my understanding the most popular programming language for game programming is still C++. It's object-oriented and executes quickly, although you have to handle all of the memory management yourself. Python is great as a scripting language, and I'm sure has other uses as well, but I wouldn't write a processor-intensive video game in it.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of learning C++ are that 3D engines already exist. Two cross-platform FOSS options for C++ game engines are Crystal Space and Irrlicht Engine. I'm a firm believer in writing cross-platform FOSS code whenever possible, especially for games, as Linux is sorely lacking in this area. That said, I have not used either in the past, so I don't really know anything about their quality, but if I ever get around to game programming in the future I will probably have a look.

Anyway, enough of my philosophizing. Happy 13th, Chrono Trigger! You are now officially a teenager. :D

That video was worth watching just for WandaIn and WandaSwords.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 11:21:27 pm »
Ooh! Luminaire, I wasn't aware of Crystal Space and Irrlicht Engine. These are highly interesting...

Yeah, I'll probably have to learn C++ somewhere down the road as well. I'll be interested to see how the Python modules are implemented in MultiMedia Fusion (C++ is already implemented, of course), but once again that's 2D and therefore wouldn't have the same requirements as a 3D game engine. I'll definitely keep tabs on those 3D engines you mentioned; this could blossom into something beautiful.

PS: I still need to get the Chrono Cross model format documented further, especially Kid's and Guile's. I've not forgotten! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 11:23:18 pm by FaustWolf »

silent protagonist

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:13 am »
If you could hack Miguel and Dario as playable characters that would make Chrono Cross a lot cooler.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 11:12:32 am »
Those and Dark Serge! But to do so, we will absolutely need to find the instruction sets that point to character models and textures. The cooler enemies typically have much larger character models than the player characters, necessitating re-pointing. Otherwise the game won't know where to pull the data from after models are shifted around.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 04:23:28 am »
A little something to round out Holy Week (you know, the week of Chronomas  :wink:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NezPDndMyHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXy3sUW4zvM

The most up-to-date version of the patch is attached to this post:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,5177.msg91376.html#msg91376

But it isn't quite ready for prime-time yet as far as giving it to romhacking.net; I need to take care of one last post-battle portrait change on the second CD. *which has been done*
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 08:13:45 pm by FaustWolf »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 05:06:07 am »
My hat comes off to you FaustWolf, I don't know how I missed the first update but I finally saw it. The credits towards the end were a little hard to read, over all I think I can say I loved it.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 07:07:48 am »
Faustwolf... I am speechless! Truly AMAZING work!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 11:32:26 am »
Thanx guys. Yes, I seriously flubbed on the credits (I probably should have stuck with full-color fanarts or darkened the black/white fanarts more), but it was now or never. Believe it or not, the credits were the most difficult part to do on account of AnimationShop Pro 3 not being able to handle animations over a minute.

I'll do more previews like this as we learn more about Cross hacking. As it now stands, those vids show off everything we can accomplish at this point.

The Gundanium Alchemist

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 06:22:59 pm »
When I download and apply 1.01 its the same as 1.00 but the readme is updated.
Magil's feet are still messed up and the tech names are their original.

EDIT: If there is nothing wrong with the patch could it be that Magil is the same because I loaded my save file from the first patch?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:38:07 pm by The Gundanium Alchemist »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 06:41:27 pm »
GA, are Magil's feet still messed up after you get into a battle and go back to the dungeon screens? Also, what's the description of Magil's origin on his status menu?

Typically going in and out of battle forces the game to refresh what's in the system memory, so that's a good way to check. Also, if you have a hard save file (created at the game's actual save points) with Magil in party, try loading that file normally (i.e., not using savestates).

EDIT: In fact, the tech name changes WON'T show up unless you load a save file normally. So you may as well do that. I think you can load up a savestate, get to a savepoint and save normally, then reset and load from the start screen to test.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:45:15 pm by FaustWolf »

The Gundanium Alchemist

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
Alright, everything is working now.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
*breathes sigh of relief*

Excellent. Thanks for testing!

The Gundanium Alchemist

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2008, 08:11:10 pm »
Thanks for your help.