Author Topic: A high resolution Chrono Cross modification  (Read 1879 times)

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
A high resolution Chrono Cross modification
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:00:56 pm »
I remember A while back someone made a High Resolution pack for FF7, and I was wondering if anyone ever did one for Chrono Cross?

I also want to know if said modification did improved models for the game. "higher polygon count."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:03:37 pm by lockgar »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: A high resolution Chrono Cross modification
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
High Resolution pack for FF7?
I think you meant the pc version? Indeed someone replaced the normal models with battle models(or remade some npc models).

But if you were not talking about that, I'm curious if there's really such amazing thing.  You know it's hard to hack a psx game because you have only 2mb system ram and 1mb video ram.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:22:27 pm »
lockgar, are you talking about the FF7 mod where they replaced the blocky field FF7 models with ones of in-battle quality?

When it comes to anything Chrono, if you don't see it at the Compendium, chances are it hasn't been done yet. The biggest thing hindering Cross hacking right now is that we don't know where pointers to the models are stored. If you don't know where the pointers are, you can't replace a character model with one that's a larger size in bytes. That would probably be the most basic necessity for a high resolution hack, as far as I understand things.

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:25:38 pm »
I never knew the details on the FF7 mod, just that some one did it, which made me wounder if someone did it for anything else.

When it comes to anything Chrono, if you don't see it at the Compendium, chances are it hasn't been done yet. The biggest thing hindering Cross hacking right now is that we don't know where pointers to the models are stored. If you don't know where the pointers are, you can't replace a character model with one that's a larger size in bytes. That would probably be the most basic necessity for a high resolution hack, as far as I understand things.

ah, ok.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:28:21 pm by lockgar »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:27:03 pm »
Actually, seeing as Chrono Cross also uses field models that are typically lower-res than the battle models, an analagous hack could be made.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:36:13 pm »
We'll see. All the animations might have to be redone for the field models if battle models are going to replace them though. But that depends on the animation format I guess. In any case, consider it a couple years off realistically.

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:16:24 am »
Years? Well, I hope someone considers it down the line.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 03:47:26 am »
The field and battle models for CC don't differ all that much... So I don't think there's really much point in doing it. I don't know how it is on PC, but if you use a good plugin in the emulator everything already looks sharp and crisp.