Author Topic: Singing Mountain  (Read 17788 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 10:07:19 pm »
I'm about to add this information to the encyclopedia, but I'm wondering if the Frog issue can be deciphered somewhat more. I'm not quite getting the logic; was it so cool that they reserved it exclusively for the CD?

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
Singing Mountain
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 10:10:20 pm »
I think he means that the prelude was intended to be used for an event, but either the event was cut or it was somehow rescripted so that using the prelude became infeasible, and they decided to include it on the CD anyway because they were trying to make it a really good soundtrack.  Or somesuch.  Unfortunately he doesn't go into any further detail than what I've translated here.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 10:17:21 pm »
Thanks again. Alright, this info's up on the main page and in the Encyclopedia. I also posted it on Claado's thread on OCR.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
Singing Mountain
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 10:25:30 pm »
No problem!

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 11:45:45 pm »
Thanks again Arc.  I was hoping that the Mitsuda comment would contain the definite answer, but from the translation it sort of sounds like the area might've never had a real purpose to begin with.  A "here's another dungeon in case we need one" scenario.  It definately wasn't a priority, of all the maps in the game that was the only one that didn't even have tile solidity.

The cut Frog theme prelude is understandable, there's something...strange about the intro.  It probably doesn't flow well with the events it's used with.  Such as Frog leaving the castle after saving Leene.  I don't remember if the PSX FFC used the full theme in-game?

Faulce

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 12:03:31 am »
Quote from: JLukas
Thanks again Arc.  I was hoping that the Mitsuda comment would contain the definite answer, but from the translation it sort of sounds like the area might've never had a real purpose to begin with.  A "here's another dungeon in case we need one" scenario.  It definately wasn't a priority, of all the maps in the game that was the only one that didn't even have tile solidity.

The cut Frog theme prelude is understandable, there's something...strange about the intro.  It probably doesn't flow well with the events it's used with.  Such as Frog leaving the castle after saving Leene.  I don't remember if the PSX FFC used the full theme in-game?

No it didnt, the PSX version used the cut down version of the song as well.  Not sure if this has been answered, but does anyone know why they didnt use the other battle music in the game?

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Singing Mountain
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 01:17:43 am »
My theory is that they eventually intended to have a different regular battle theme for each era, but ran out of time to compose new songs or something along those lines. A bit far-fetched, yes, but certainly possible.

For example, Burn! Bobonga! Burn! could have been used for all battles in 65,000,000 B.C. Hell, it's used for a lot of battles in that era as it is. Battle 1 could have been used for 1000 A.D., Battle 2 could have been 2300 A.D., etc.

IcedEarthaholic

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 01:38:58 am »
It truly was a shame that "Singing Mountain" was cut, in my books it is a a powerful song, that if done right, could've had a killer heavy-metal rendition of it. I'm actually thinking that if I ever get a band going (I'm a bassist who has not had motivation to practice for the longest time), I'd probably be trying to do a heavy metal rendition of the song. First though, I gotta get my skills up to par again before I consider it.

But yeah, it's a shame that Singing Mountain was cut, I am absolutely certain that it would've rocked. And yeah, I think it probably would've been the maze that you go through when you first come to 65,000,000 B.C. It probably would've been a much better maze to go through in my books, complete with 1000% better music. Yes, I think Singing Mountain was that damn good, and it is a shame that it wasn't used in the game itself. But ah well, maybe if Square remakes Chrono Trigger for a handheld, they'll include all the cut areas from within the game.

felineki

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Singing Mountain
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 12:02:05 pm »
Quote from: YbrikMetaknight
My theory is that they eventually intended to have a different regular battle theme for each era, but ran out of time to compose new songs or something along those lines. A bit far-fetched, yes, but certainly possible.

For example, Burn! Bobonga! Burn! could have been used for all battles in 65,000,000 B.C. Hell, it's used for a lot of battles in that era as it is. Battle 1 could have been used for 1000 A.D., Battle 2 could have been 2300 A.D., etc.

I had similar thoughts. One thing that points to this as a possibility is that odd remix of the standard battle theme that uses the 65 Million BC-style percussion and bass that was ripped from the prerelease.

And yes, Singing Mountain is a lovely song, it's very fortunate that we were able to get it on the soundtrack when it could have just as easily been pitched  along with the dungeon itself (which I would have liked to see the final version of... A cave with lava rivers sounds interesting, and would have most likely looked wonderful given the level design of CT as a whole).