Author Topic: Meditation  (Read 1989 times)

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Meditation
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:59:09 pm »
I saw a book called Elemental Magick, and its by D.J. Conway.  Its a book with meditation, spells, and different creatures of the elements.  I thought this was very intresting, so I had to buy it.

I've so far only read the section on Earth, and soon to be starting Air.  I also tried the meditation for Earth, and, strangly, I found myself feeling more calm.

So, I must ask, does anyone else practice meditation, if so, would you like to share what you do and what you feel?

Also, there are quotes at the beginning of the elemental's chapters;
Earth:  Like Earth, be balanced with a solid foundation.
Air:  Like Air, let your mind and ideas fly free.
Fire:  Like Fire, be fully alive in body, mind and spirit.
Water:  Like still Water, be at peace and balanced in your emotions.
Spirit:  Like Spirit, be at one with everything in existence.

Oh, forgot to say that it looks at a fifth element called spirit.  It talks of how spirit is the center of the elements, and once you become balanced int he other four, you can then make contact with the element of spirit.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Meditation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »
Though I have not particularly researched meditation, I would caution against this kind of thing. Yoga, for instance, includes several movements that are provenly damaging to joints and muscles. There is a billion dollar industry set up around alternative medicine, astrology, and ancient practices. Much of the benefit might be ascribed to the placebo effect.

Obfuscation seems to be the rule in the health industry when paying, uneducated customers are involved. Trendy diets, Hollywood exercise routines, and other systems for losing weight evaporate in the face of simply getting out and jogging like hell every day. Same for strength training, or getting in shape; when many people want a shortcut, business will purport to deliver it for a profit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:13:40 pm by ZeaLitY »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:37:16 pm »

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:15:26 pm »
I practice meditation sometimes. Its like a natural action for me, and I feel like communicating with my inner self and the environment that surrounds me, and I feel relaxed and focused. Meditation is anything like ZeaLitY says, and it doesn't make you a hollywood follower, it is an ancient practice, it isn't a commercial thing, and its nothing like this.

I feel good reading this kind of topics, and I hope you keep on your path Azure, and its no religious path I'm talking about, it is just a way to get to know yourself, and the world you're in. (I hope not getting killed with stones by mentioning religion here).

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »
Most people have nothing against a purely personal religion.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:25:52 am »
Most of it is just as ZeaLitY said a placebo effect. Although I can say there is merit to meditation, none of the elemental stuff but the siting calm in a quite room does help. Its just like a conscious sleep.

Chrono Master

• Guardian (+100)
  • Our will is the key to our dreams.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 12:56:04 am »
I like to enter the peacefullness of my mind, Meditation helps you do this. It dose not give you special powers or anything, just helps get your thoughts in order, as well as getting to know your self brtter. Though one thing irritates me, in english for a project for a book we're reading we had to gather items we think people might have had, my group chose a a nail file, ciggars, soap, matches, and a mood ring. I was facinated by the mood ring and barrowed it after our project was graded, I was always either the color Purple or blue. I dont mind these colors but I guess it means I'm stable, most of my friends think I'm a nutjob, crazy, fruit loop, ect.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:59:40 pm »
Most of it is just as ZeaLitY said a placebo effect. Although I can say there is merit to meditation, none of the elemental stuff but the siting calm in a quite room does help. Its just like a conscious sleep.

Exactly.  However, it *has* been proven that twenty minutes of meditation has about the restorativeness as about 2 hours of sleep. At the same time, it does, ironically and strangely the opposite, it makes certain parts of the brain super-active.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:57:28 am »
Yoga, for instance, includes several movements that are provenly damaging to joints and muscles. There is a billion dollar industry set up around alternative medicine, astrology, and ancient practices. Much of the benefit might be ascribed to the placebo effect.

Which Yoga? There are five distinctly different types of yoga; only one of which involves contortion (Hatha Yoga). And Yoga-as-exercise has numerous different schools of discipline within it, not all of which are particularly strenuous.

While many of the "benefits" of alternate medicine are placebo effect, it is rather hasty to dismiss all such things as bunk. Acupuncture, for example, is one of those crazy alternate medicines (or at least, it started out that way) but it has now been recognized my science and medicine as a useful technique; indeed, one can find articles describing its benefits in peer-reviewed journals like Neurology (science has a thing about giving academic journals one-word names, like Cher).

Meditation is another one that has scientific support. Additionally, it should be noted that meditation is far from restricted just to Hatha Yoga. Meditation has been practiced by, well, most everyone. Christian monks, Egyptian hermits, Jewish mystics, Asian priests, etc. Studies have shown that there is a distinct difference in brain functions between a normal waking state and meditation. Certainly, there is a similarity to sleep, but meditation is just as certainly not sleep (one doesn't progress through the various stages of sleep, there usually isn't REM, etc).

Though, that said, the book Elemental Magick is bunk. One prime indicator of this is how "magic" is spelt (though certainly the use of the word "magic" in the first place should put you on guard). The letter "k" does not belong in the word "magic" (unless you are talking about Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina). Such an inclusion indicates that the text is little more than a con (as there is an unfortunately large modern movement in which people are attempting a return to older traditions, even when the "traditions" they adopt have little to no actual historical foundation; in short, it panders to the delusional). As for the elements themselves, if spirit is the 5th element, what will become of poor Ma-Ti?

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:52 pm »
One prime indicator of this is how "magic" is spelt (though certainly the use of the word "magic" in the first place should put you on guard). The letter "k" does not belong in the word "magic" (unless you are talking about Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina).
Magic commonly has a "K" attached to it when one is talking about multiple kinds of it.
Also Aleister Crowley also used the spelling magick, defining it as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will."
(unless you are talking about Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina)

An excerpt from Wikipedia (I know wikipedia can be altered by anyone, so feel free to disprove this quote) as follows:
Aleister Crowley wrote that ". . . the exaltation of the mind by means of magickal practices leads (as one may say, in spite of itself) to the same results as occur in straightforward Yoga." Crowley's magick thus becomes a form of mental, mystical, or spiritual discipline, designed to train the mind to achieve greater concentration. Crowley also made claims for the paranormal effects of magick, suggesting a connection with the first principle in this list. However, he defined any attempt to use this power for a purpose other than aiding mental or mystical attainment as "black magick".

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 10:49:29 pm »
One prime indicator of this is how "magic" is spelt (though certainly the use of the word "magic" in the first place should put you on guard). The letter "k" does not belong in the word "magic" (unless you are talking about Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina).
Magic commonly has a "K" attached to it when one is talking about multiple kinds of it.
Also Aleister Crowley also used the spelling magick, defining it as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will."

Beat me to the punch here.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:55 pm »
Technically, then, if you're using a transliteration from Greek, which is what it would be, it would use a k. See, the word, though Persian in origin (ie. pertaining to the Magoi, as Herodotos called them, a class in the Medo-Persia culture), and though it eventually becomes Magus in Latin, is simply Magos in Greek. Now, Greek actually does a lot of things similar to English (or, maybe the other way around.) For example this 'ic' type ending when referring to something pertaining to the noun spoken of. In that manner a place like, say, Karia, has the term 'Karian' (ie. the adjectival form) spelled 'Karikos.' Essentially, it is then a Greek adjectival ending, and I'd wager the same practise was true in the English (only we use a Latinized 'c', but pronounce it as a k anyway.) I'd think that when we used the word 'magic' originally, we meant 'pertaining to the doings of the magi/magoi' and only later did it become a noun, developed from that adjective root. What this all means is that Alastor Crowly was ridiculous in trying to spell it in some sort of way with a c and a k both. If he wanted to spell it in some sort of 'original' way he'd have had to write it Magik, or else Magikos. Plural would be Magikoi. Shame on him, especially as he already has a Greek name! (Alastor meaning 'unforgetting', personifying an avenging spirit.)

Generality

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:20:08 pm »
As a general rule, don't buy bookstore spellbooks or books on magic. Almost all of them are repositories of bullshit made up by the author to make money. Even those few genuine ones are of limited usefulness; magic cannot be taught effectively without tutoring on a personal level.

As for the spelling, it doesn't really matter how you spell it, but those who spell it magick generally have no idea what they're talking about.

Now, getting back to the topic. Meditation is a proven way to relax and exercise the mind. I use it occasionally, mainly when I'm troubled or having difficulty with a problem. Like magic, it's something best taught through tutoring and not really something you can get effectively from a book.

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:51:20 am »
A question that wasn't asked, but I will answer:

"Why did you even buy the book?"

I find it interesting.  Do I think magic works?  Not really no.  "casting the spell" for lets say, success in something, and then when you succeed you just realize it more so.

Meditation techniques have interested me for some time.  I find them -relaxing- not spirit changing...

Anyways...  Time to go to bed... xD

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:46 am »
Pure bliss can only be achieved through self-enlightenment aka. join Buddhism or something. It's not a restrictive religion, and you can tailor it to your own needs. Or, study philosophy.