Author Topic: What OS do you use?  (Read 1505 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
What OS do you use?
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:09:21 pm »
I was just wondering what OS (Windows, Linux, MAC OS, ReactOS, etc.) and what version of said OS does everybody use?

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
Re: What OS do you use?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »
Windows XP.

Not really any reason why. Family computer was always a Windows OS, so I updated it about a year ago, or 2, to XP.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
Windows XP.

Friend uses Vista, but I don't want to talk about that.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:59 pm »
Windows XP here as well. I wish Microsoft wouldn't have upgraded their Office Suite to the 2007 style though. To quote teaflower, it's just...angrifying.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 10:36:32 pm »
Windows XP seems to be the norm here. (I use it as well, although I'm thinking of moving to Linux sometime, probably Ubunto) Its truly sad when Microsoft's flagship, Vista, is slower than XP and spies on you all the time, asking you if you would like to proceed every time you make an action. I'll give it this, though, it *is* pretty. (Although Linux Beryl is still prettier.)

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 10:42:28 pm »
I use Ubuntu on my Desktop and XP on my Laptop, Gunna switch to Vista once the SP comes out, it really is pretty good and it's setting up much safer programming style (if you program correctly then you shouldn't be using stuff that activated UAC).  Ubuntu is pretty amazing for the price but it really does have some quirks that bug even me and I'm pretty good at computers..and surprisingly firefox crashes ALOT more (like about once a day I'd say).

I like office 2007....and for the next generation Office 2007 will probably be better (those who didn't use Office 2003 and get used to it).  You really can do stuff easier and with alot fewer clicks.

That being said I got a job at MS so I might be bias haha.

--JP

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 11:08:03 pm »
vista, and i have no complaints whatsoever.
it freezes from time to time, but with the amount of applications i have running most of the time i dont blame it for freezing.
its still no mac though :(

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:51:40 am »
I use Ubuntu on my Desktop and XP on my Laptop, Gunna switch to Vista once the SP comes out, it really is pretty good and it's setting up much safer programming style (if you program correctly then you shouldn't be using stuff that activated UAC).  Ubuntu is pretty amazing for the price but it really does have some quirks that bug even me and I'm pretty good at computers..and surprisingly firefox crashes ALOT more (like about once a day I'd say).

I like office 2007....and for the next generation Office 2007 will probably be better (those who didn't use Office 2003 and get used to it).  You really can do stuff easier and with alot fewer clicks.

That being said I got a job at MS so I might be bias haha.

--JP

Huh...  :? I run firefox on ubuntu on an older computer, that rarely gets shut down, that I use sometimes for web design and haven't had a crash yet.

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:00:07 am »
A few years of Slackware Linux -> More than a few years of BSD -> A few years of Mac OS X -> A little under a year of Windows Vista (for various reasons; but it's only temporary)

Macs are by far my favorite.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 03:07:15 am »
XP SP2. I'm taking a wait and see approach with Asus' next line of eee pc laptops. Those run Xandros Linux. I have a couple of Knoppix disks around that I sometimes use. I used to use them whenever Windows had a critical problem as a stopgap until I had time to fix it, but that hasn't come up since I switched from 2K SP4 to XP SP2.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:02 am »
Just I prefer Altimit OS so I can play The World

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 04:24:11 am »
Vista.

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 09:08:54 am »
Windows XP SP2.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 09:38:43 am »
XP sp2.  Office 2007 is angrifying for the first bit, but it really becomes bitchin once you figure out where everything is.  No joke!  People complained back in the day about XP vs 98SE for similar reasons but eventually it was figured out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:39:35 am by placidchap »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:50:08 am »
I'll say this, I like the "duplicate removal" feature in Excel 2007. Duplicate removal in spreadsheets is the holy grail of mass mailing, so it'll come in handy in the '08 campaigns.