Author Topic: Am I doing something wrong? D:  (Read 4060 times)

Schala

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Am I doing something wrong? D:
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:01:15 pm »
First off, my boyfriend discovered this game and showed it to me...and I almost died from excitement. *_* This is pretty damn cool and everyone who has worked on this gets a bajillion awesome points from me. :D

But I'm not really sure if this is a bug or I'm just really stupid and not doing something right. D:

I'm trying to take Melchior up Mt. Woe. But he ALWAYS dies. I don't know how to prevent him from getting hit. Yeah, obviously I climb up first. And the Maneaters don't hurt him. But after that, when I approach a monster first, even if Melchior is not on screen, the game makes Magus move aside, and the monster goes right for Melchior. I cannot move Magus after I approach the monster, so I have no way to "rescue" Melchior from getting hit by the monster. I've tried so many different things. Walking slowly towards the monster, running at the monster, approaching the monster with Melchior far behind me, right behind me, or even off screen completely. But even if he's off screen, and I approach the monster, the game makes Magus move aside, waits for Melchior to appear back on screen, and the monster goes for him, all while I can't do anything.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. T_T I sent my save file to my boyfriend for him to try, and he said all he did was kill everything! Which is exactly what I'm TRYING to do! I really want to do this myself, but I'm about to tell my boyfriend to just save the game after he takes Melchior up Mt. Woe just so I can keep playing. D: I really don't want to do that though because I want to beat it myself! RAWR! *huffhuff*

So, yeah...I dunno what to do. The mini FAQ just says to stay in the lead (duh) and make sure Melchior doesn't get hurt. Well, I'm trying to do that, and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there's some sort of glitch for me (but why not for my boyfriend?). Help me, please! T_T

Oh, and I'm using zsnes 1.36.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I doing something wrong? D:
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 02:37:44 pm »
Keeping Melchior alive is the most difficult part of this hack. I think you're talking about the devilman-type enemy that automatically kicks Melchior when you're on a narrow part of the mountain, correct? I made copious use of savestates (it's one of the F function keys in ZSNES, forgot which) to keep the poor guy from getting hurt. I think I finally settled on avoiding that one devilman entirely. There's a treasure chest where a flying imp tries to get at Melchior too; with a lot of luck Magus can fend that one off by staying in the lead, but I think you can forgo that treasure chest for now and get it on your way back down the mountain.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that savestates are also accessible via the normal menus in ZSNES. But you're probably familiar with how to use them already.

Schala

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:51:48 pm »
Yes, the devilman enemy and the ones that fly down from the sky out of no where. x_x I even tried skipping getting the chest and it still didn't help me...cuz he'd get hit again by something else along the way. I don't get how my boyfriend got him up the mountain so easily....and he got all the chests too!  -_-

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:04:59 pm »
I just now managed to go through Mt Woe without Melchior getting hit once. If you avoid all enemies and treasure chests like the plague, it seems to cut down on risk or something. Failing that, ask your boyfriend if he's got a ZSNES savestate handy -- I think it should carry over regardless of what version of ZSNES he's using.

If you're really in dire straits, I'd suggest using the walk through walls code. It might help you avoid some of the sticking points. Just input this in ZSNES under "cheats" I think:

39B0-EFA4

You can turn the code on and off in real-time in ZSNES. It's in Game Genie format, so the dash may need to be included. Let us know how this works if you try it.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:07:17 am »
I just now managed to go through Mt Woe without Melchior getting hit once. If you avoid all enemies and treasure chests like the plague, it seems to cut down on risk or something. Failing that, ask your boyfriend if he's got a ZSNES savestate handy -- I think it should carry over regardless of what version of ZSNES he's using.

If you're really in dire straits, I'd suggest using the walk through walls code. It might help you avoid some of the sticking points. Just input this in ZSNES under "cheats" I think:

39B0-EFA4

You can turn the code on and off in real-time in ZSNES. It's in Game Genie format, so the dash may need to be included. Let us know how this works if you try it.

Don't quote me on this just yet, but I think there's a difference in the savestate core between 1.36 and 1.51 that *can* cause data corruption.

EDIT: It appears that problem only arises in 1.50, 1.51 loads from v.6-v1.51 just fine.

I retrieved this information from a developer's post, Nach, over at zsnes.com:
I have a save state collection built up for 8 years or so. We're talking thousands. They all work fine.

Most save state problems are from bad code in various WIPs, or some broken loading code in v1.50 itself. v1.51 is quite good with loading states from any previous official release since 0.600.

I can't guarantee they can't work forever. But I see no reason why one can't try to use old save states. What do you mean by is it a good idea? If it works great, if not, then use the SRM.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:16:05 am by BROJ »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 02:11:36 am »
Oh, shoot. Good to know.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:22 am »
Last post amended. Just stay clear of v1.50.  :|

Schala

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:55:40 am »
Thanks guys, I managed to do it SOMEHOW. I dunno how, but I did. Melchior got hit one or twice, but I avoided chests too (got them on my way back). I also noticed, this time around, the monster that usually flies down to hit Melchior and then flies away, didn't fly down this time. That's the one that usually killed him. But it didn't fly down, so he lived! YAY!

Now I'm trying to fight the Golem in Ocean Palace. xD Man, that's rough. It seems like I can either use a spell once and die or continuously use tonics to stay alive because it uses the cut hp by 1/2 and then 2 seconds later uses that fireball spell. So I just need to figure out how the heck to stay alive and be able to use magic or attack it. Lol.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 02:13:42 pm »
The Magic Wall is your friend!

Schala

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 06:18:30 pm »
I tried that too. That Fireball spell still hit me for 165, the same amount of hp it hits me for if I don't use it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:07 pm »
If worse comes to worst, I suppose you could do one of two things:

1.) Use a Game Genie or PAR code to give Magus the Doomsickle, and watch him wipe the floor with that beast in no time.

2.) Use a Game Genie or PAR code to give Magus all his spells, letting you use Dark Matter.

You can find the necessary codes under "Patch Codes" at GameFAQs' CT SNES section. Gah, I'm so horrible for advocating cheating on a hack of all things. To tell you the truth, I don't even know if they'll work -- so much data has been shuffled around in the ROM.

Schala

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »
I don't want to use cheat codes unless it's my only option. Others seem to have beaten it without cheats, so I should be able to as well. >.O That's what's frustrating me. RAWR.

I'll keep trying. I mean, I magically got up Mt. Woe, and I really didn't do anything different than what I was doing previously. It just worked one time. So maybe it'll work eventually in this case too...

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:38:31 am »
Schala don't worry; I can't get up the mountain either. :(    At the first battle with a bunch of creatures; there is this Rock head that locks my Techs: After the battle there is this Demon thing with wings that shoots out and goes straight for the old man, Am I screwed for good?.  Maybe this is a bad hack or something we both got.  No matter what I do I can't get past him. I tried twice.  It sounds like Schala's techniques didn't work so good thing I didn't go for those. 

By the way for more info there is a treasure chest on a small island to the right that you walk on a short chain.

(Grabs machine gun and killls all the creatures at Mt Woe.) MWA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!.  YES I OWN MT WOE. Don't like it creatures? Too bad so sad.