Author Topic: CG R66-Y Scene - finished 3d art  (Read 11800 times)

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
CG R66-Y Scene - finished 3d art
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:01:39 am »
you may remember my 3d R66-y model earlier at this post:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3412.0.html

well, i have recently updated it and created an entire 3d environment to go with it in order to make a still image.

here it is on cgsociety where you can view/dl a 1600x1200 if you like:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=588684

also there is a more in depth description of the scene on cgsociety.

please comment and critique - dont hold back

Here it is

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:17:39 am by Straafe »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
Re: CG R66-Y Scene - finished 3d art
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:08:35 am »
Holy Christ almighty that is great :shock:, forgot the leather though.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:12:29 am »
Yeah, that just rules. It'll highlight the next update. Great job; you could have almost flooded a few forums with it anonymously to start bogus rumors of a CT remake.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:27:51 am »
That pic rocks. So Straafe, you actually created a 3D model for Robo and then did a 2D render, right? Meaning you do have a functional Robo model that could be in a CT remake...

The Chrono community has no dearth of skilled modelers. In fact, every skill needed for a major 3D Chrono project is represented in abundance in the community. Ah, how I dream of C&Ds!

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:50:17 am »
That pic rocks. So Straafe, you actually created a 3D model for Robo and then did a 2D render, right? Meaning you do have a functional Robo model that could be in a CT remake...

Correct. I decided to rig the model entirely to pose him for the image too, meaning he is rigged for animation. If you guys want I can make a quick walk cycle with this model. what do you think?

This 3d model is fairly High Poly, so it probably wouldn't appear as an in game model, but this is what you would see in something like a CG cutscene or intro movie to a game.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:36:54 am »
Oooh, I vote for a walk cycle. How long does it take a skilled animator to do that sort of thing in 3DS Max, Straafe? Or do you use a separate program for the animations?

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:03:24 am »
 I feel a little violated by that image. Robo's imaginary metal balls are in full imaginary view!

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:12:43 am »
walk cycles don't take long. Generally you would do the animation inside 3ds max, where you can use many plugins for animations (likr softimage CAT, a really good one), you can keyframe it yourself, or you can use 3dsmax's built in 'footsteps' to create a quick walk cycle automatically. If i dont get too lazy, I could have the walk animation posted by tomorrow.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:39:16 am »
Looks great! I look forward to seeing whatever animations you do with that model.

Cooper

• Guardian (+100)
  • aka Lightningstrike
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:37:37 am »
Awesome work !

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:51:26 pm »
Amazing, you beat me a 3D for sure.

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 10:56:54 pm »
here is a walk cycle

as i originally only intended to pose the model, there are some little problems with his rig. you can notice some little things if you look at the ball/socket joints and the ankle areas. however they could easily be righted by tweaking. this is meant to show how fast you can begin to work with your models and animate.

hope you like it

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:14 pm »
Oooh, ahhh! Straafe, that is freakin' awesome. I think back to the rigid animations I see in some PS2 RPGs -- you've done work here that is far superior to the work of some professionals in the industry! Robo's gait looks amazingly fluid and natural; the ol' joints appear well-oiled to me.

I daresay this model's overall quality outshines the Chrono Trigger Resurrection models of Magus and Crono seen in the early previews for that project prior to C&D time.

Seriously, if this were shown as proof of a new Chrono game on the PS3, I'd believe it hook, line and sinker. Why isn't Square Enix or Monolith Soft hiring you?

...can you do humans too?

EDIT: I keep looking at this awesomeness and I'm just totally mesmerized. This may be the most awesome fanwork I've ever seen, and I didn't even care for Robo as much as the rest of the cast. That's sayin' a lot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:25:05 pm by FaustWolf »

Straafe

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:42:57 pm »
Wow, your praise is very flattering. i think we can probably assume you are my biggest fan as far as my cg work goes, :)

I doubt my skills are good enough as far as gettin hired by the large companies you mentioned. I really never thought i was that good. lol. Right now I am still a student and hobbyist. I am 90% self taught in the CG world.

I can model organic things like humans as well as rig them like this model.

In fact I have been itching to do a detailed model of Magus lately, if you like, however it will be a while before I would be able to post it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:50:21 pm »
Holy cow, a Magus model of this quality would, like, collapse the universe or something. Really, you have some mad skillz! I'm a model enthusiast from the purely observational side, so I believe I know quality when I see it. I mean, WOW, if KOS-MOS' character model in Xenosaga Episode I had half the fluidity and realistic detail Robo does here...my goodness.