Author Topic: The Green Lavos Gate  (Read 1720 times)

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
The Green Lavos Gate
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:46 pm »
Well, there's a topic about the red Lucca gate, so I figured we may as well discuss the OTHER miscolored gate as well. In case you don't remember, I'm talking about the gate that you can enter from the right telepod at the beginning of the game. It's green.

Where did it come from?
Why and how does it lead to lavos?
Why is it that when you face Lavos, Marle says her regular dialogue, even though she has no way of knowing about him that early in the story?

This seems like one major plothole...

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: The Green Lavos Gate
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05:10 pm »
It's just a New Game + bonus.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:10 pm »
But, don't you guys usually have a good explanation for all aspects of the game?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:19:23 pm »
Is it logical to say that another dimension exists in the Chrono Trigger world allowing you to store infinite items, or drink water to heal flesh wounds? Gameplay like this can be excused.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:29:53 am »
or going along with the reasoning in my post in "The Red Lucca Gate", green is representative of the toxicity of Lavos.

Red Lucca Gate - Fire
Blue Entity Gates - Water
Green Lavos Gate - Toxic [gas] (doesn't really follow the 4 elements of Trigger, but then again, Lavos is of a different world, altogether

you'll have to push aside green being associated with nature.

as for unlimited items; that is just a pocket dimension with unlimited storage space, obviously.  And 'magic' water can heal anything.

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:02 am »
Have you never heard of a bag of holding?  Jeez :P

Zariel

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:44:44 pm »
It's the normal stuff. Chrono & Co, would have a lot of trouble carrying all those weapons and items... going so much time without eating, W.C and all that.

Besides if you want a more... logical explanation, it could be to distinct that gate from the plot ones, just as a shortcut.
About the nature... of the gates, in the earlier post, well it could be true... but I tend to think that the lucca gate is red because of the entity more than her element affinity.
Y'know... always thinking that Dreamstone as something to do with that. (But it's just a distant possibility)

Well, that's all.
Bye.

PD: OH, figured it... it's the color for the Lavos PD... !!!! XD

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:06:31 pm »
Debating gameplay mechanics...? Why would we do that? I mean, if you're going to seriously think about the Green Gate, which is simply there so that you can face Lavos at any time previous to regular gameplay's ability to reach Lavos, then you might as well start asking about the Developers' Room Ending and how they got into that freaky End of Time...OMG! Kato's a pan-dimensional being! Of course! It all fits! Oh wait, that's stupid...

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:23 am »
The reason the gate is there is gameplay related.  The colour does not necessarily mean it is "gameplay mechanics". 

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:17 pm »
Guys seriously, its just a newgame + feature...

Nothing entity related or lavos related...  Just gameplay related xD

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 01:20:45 pm »
Time travel is gameplay.  And I don't suppose that has been a debate around here or the mechanics of it either.  There is nothing wrong with the idea that the colour of a gate means something.  There is also nothing wrong with the idea that the creators decided to make the red and green gates as such because they are 'special' and nothing more.  But it is actually pretty easy to connect the colour to the corresponding characters.