Author Topic: FaithFreedom.org  (Read 4372 times)

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: FaithFreedom.org
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »
"God" dammit people, long posts, lazy mind, no heaven, just balls.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 03:10:16 pm »
Ah, so dismissing something fanciful like an 'extra-logical tool' requires more fluff, or something? And that post was co-written with Radical_Dreamer, you know. But I suppose the art of rationally criticizing something that exempts itself from reason might be a tricky one.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 03:31:06 pm »
So, let's ignore, for a second, all the instances of God utterly snuffing out nonbelievers with purging fire, and promising an eternity of hell to those who don't believe in him.

In other words, you wish to ignore those instances where punishment follows a crime in what one would otherwise call justice and instead talk of intolerance.

As this is a fundamental difference in our approaches that seems to be preventing us from reaching a common ground, allow me to explain why our arguments are totally missing each other.

The problem of communication here isn’t that there is injustice in the bible or intolerance; the problem is much more fundamental than that. You point to “intolerance” or “injustice” and call it a sign that religion should be done away with. I do not deny that there are such instances in the bible. However, I do deny that those signs are meaning what you are thinking they are meaning. Certainly, on one level there is a question of if this or that is violent, intolerant, of unjust. If I believe you have mislabeled something, I will argue against it, but all such discussion along these lines are tertiary to a deeper point that you do not seem to be addressing. You’ve been attacking the crown molding and concluding that the foundation is rot. Or, to offer a military analogy, you aren’t just attacking your enemy where he is weak, you are attacking your enemy where he just plain isn’t there.

The underlying, deeper point is if these instances of intolerance, injustice, and violence are good or bad. You point out the classic verse urging Christians not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. Firstly, this doesn’t say anything about being intolerant, just selective. You can no more accuse believers of intolerance in this regard than you could fault a researcher for not taking on an undergrad as a Co-PI. Yet, even if you label this selectivity as intolerant, it is a case of good intolerance. People are influenced by those that they associate with. If one is trying to be a law abiding citizen, one would do well not to associate with criminals.

So then, your argument in this case should not be that these verses are intolerant (I maintain that they are not, but that is really besides the point), but that the intolerance is inherently bad. Unless you do so, you are spending your time and energies on topics that don’t change anything even if you are correct.

As a side note, there are certain period specific meanings to those verses that you are missing. Krispin addresses them rather nicely, but to add just a few comments of my own. Luke 10:25-37, parable of the Good Samaritan. Christians are to help anyone in need. When taken together with your verses, it reveals a basic principle that Christians should do everything they can not to sin (aka, commit crimes), but that kindness and help should be offered to everyone, regardless of belief. There is also a slight difference in what it means nowadays to welcome someone into your home and what it meant at the time. At the time period in question, welcoming someone into your home also obligated you legally. You would become responsible for them and if they committed any crimes you also had responsibility. Essentially, you became their patron for as long as they were under your hospitality. Inviting a nonbeliever into ones home, then, was also taking on responsibility for the nonbeliever. It would be like inviting a criminal into your home knowing that you’d be held responsible for any crimes they committed while there.

6:20  O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
This just in: science is bunk. If it goes against Christianity, it is to be avoided as babbling.

Firstly, that is a bunk interpretation. Science, as it is conceived of in the modern mind, did not exist at the time the text was originally written. Indeed, even when the King James version of the bible was created (and the King James version is criticized in some Christian circles for the liberties it takes with the original text), science still didn't have the same meaning to which you are applying it. Indeed,
given that science doesn’t address the same issues that religion does, there would never be science that contradicts religion (just as there isn’t science that contradicts literature). For this reason the verse would be better translated as something more along the lines of: " ... turning away from the profane babblings and oppositions of the knowledge which is falsely so called;"

Regardless of issues with translation, you are also making an interpretational error on basic linguistic levels. What does the verse tell Timothy to do? To avoid "knowledge" (or "science") that is falsely called such. That is not an urging to avoid knowledge (or science), just false versions of such. If Paul were writing such in the modern era and were to provide an example, he might well have used eugenics and racial theory as examples of false knowledge/science.

6:9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Crap! Consentual sex is out, and I guess born homosexuals have to roast whether they like it or not. Aww, and here I thought that in 2008, we were out of the Dark Ages. Silly ol' me.

Not consensual sex, casual sex (and casual sex regardless of prior commitments). That is an important difference (as it separates Quakers from Shakers, for example).

But again you are aiming your arguments at tertiary points and missing the underlying pin. If casual sex, idolatry, adultery, etc are crimes, then it is good that they are punished. Your task, then, is to argue that these things are not crimes (and, if possible, that they are good). Only after you have established that something is bad can you fault an institution for having that something.

As it stands, you are essentially complaining that Christianity does not tolerate corruption. Hardly an offense worthy of eradication.

Do you mean to allege that your eyes were completely closed during the numerous times Krispin denied religion's placement in the Dark Ages? Wait, wait; nevermind. I forget your dim view of humanity as hopeless in a world it cannot understand, subservient to a God for its advancement. My mistake.

Actually, my view (and the view of most religion) is that humanity has the amazing ability to transcend its natural limitations. Religion admits that humans are flawed (something that you seem to fault it for), yet maintains that those flaws can be overcome. It is the atheist who demands that humans are trapped in limited shells.

As for Krispin, my eyes were open so I saw the important distinction he was making between crimes committed by people and crimes committed by the church. In short, he was trying to point out the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy you were and are so willingly committing.

DDT might have eradicated malaria, or relegated it to negligible, trace levels.

For a time. Small pox, once thought to have been "eradicated" or "relegated to negligible, trace levels," is making a come back. The plague, which chances are you and I both have an old immunity from that we inherited, is still around and becoming more of a concern. Influenza, which caused a pandemic this last century, is a concern every single year.

Modern society has more auto-immune diseases than historic society. The cause of this is not entirely known, but it is suspected that part of it comes from how little we get sick. Our immune systems, being put to so little use, malfunction and start attacking our own bodies. I’d much rather have chicken pox, the flu, and other such diseases that my body can handle than to have (adult onset) type I diabetes.

With the development of antiviral medicines, humans have the ability to treat things as simple as the common cold and the flu. It is to medicine's credit that no one is so blind to use it for that. We have valuable, finite resources in this regard and humanity is using it (mostly) responsibly. As for gene therapy, you should attend a Bioethics Grand Rounds if you ever get a chance (any university that has PhD/MD programs has Ethics Grand Rounds). The very people who are making the discoveries that might someday allow gene therapy to replace eugenics are questioning its use for such. There is a fundamental ethical difference between ensuring that a child doesn’t have a gene deletion or misspelling that results in severe health problems and using our knowledge of genes to try to improve a child’s intelligence (for one, such things like intelligence are controlled by so many different factors that any change to a specific location is unlikely to have a noticeable effect). But as long as Junk DNA remains labeled as "Junk," humans don't understand our own DNA enough to try manipulating it. With the discovery of micro RNA science is realizing that the human genome is comparatively unique (not utterly unique, mind you) on the planet. Human DNA, RNA, mRNA, and micro RNA (among other things that I am not even aware of) can do more things with fewer letters than most other organisms can, even with thrice the amount of code. Even with the Human Genome Project complete (and, luckily, the human genome remains public knowledge, rather than patented waste), there is still so far to go.

Yes, it does. Too bad you haven’t got the recklessness to offer your own interpretation of what that might be, because it would be very interesting. I was, apparently, correct about your age. You have doubtlessly encountered all kinds of people in your travels, and surely you have an opinion about me, even if you aren’t brazen enough to share it. Too bad; my loss.

Not much of a loss. You are what you are. My opinion of you, based on a few posts, won’t change that. It is a rare individual indeed who will change because of some random person’s opinion. I don’t mean this as offense to you, just that you are human in that regard. If we knew each other well, if we were close friends, then my opinion might matter (and it would be more likely to be correct).

Firstly, no, none of you disembowled (Krispin). His arguments stood fast.
You mean they stood fast for you. You show strange judgment, Thought. I smell bias.

Strangely enough, I’ve reread my post and can’t find where I said that. That was posted near midnight, so I certainly could have said something that I don’t remember and just cant’ find it now. Or perhaps the problem I had with my quote tags made it appear that I said this, rather than that I was quoting Krispin?

But of course I am biased for Krispin’s arguments (I agree with his basic stance) and against yours and ZeaLitY’s (I do not agree with your basic stance). As I pointed out, we are all biased and just not suited to making these sorts of judgments.

I don’t see how you can honestly suggest that they stood fast.

As indicated above, I don’t believe I ever said his arguments stood fast. However, I do think they were quite fine and showed remarkable insight, so let us take it as said, even if I didn’t say it. Unfortunately you will be disappointed in how I can honestly suggest such a thing. As you may have noticed in the atheism thread, to start off with I rejected logic as an end-all be-all basis for argument. This is not to say that I embrace all logical fallacies, rather I like to think I understand the limits of logic and am comfortable with them. If I am willing to do THAT (to discard logic when it has been exhausted and no longer can benefit inquiry) you then shouldn’t expect me to be limited to normal means in my evaluation of other arguments. But to provide one example that sticks out in my mind as rather brilliant, he countered arguments that religion is inherently limiting, intellectually by pointing out that he has not been limited by it. That was a wonderful approach, sort of like when one has been stumped by the old Petals Around the Rose game for hours and suddenly realizes the answer is far simpler than the reams of data they have collected. Now you might question the actual merits of such a statement (I find Krispin to have a fine academic mind, so I find the argument rather powerful; you do not seem to agree on that, so logically you would find the point weak and possibly counter-productive). But that is just one example of how I can honestly suggest (though once again I didn’t originally suggest) that his arguments stood.

But anywho, that isn’t meant to be a defense of Krispin (as indicated before, I believe his arguments, and all our arguments, don’t need to be defended, or attacked), it is just meant as a look into my mind.

If you have truly devoted your many years to the pursuit of history, you can probably beat me—or at least stymie me pending further research—in my criticisms of institutional Christianity during the Middle Ages.

Since the debate seems to have died down a little, I don’t feel bad in indulging in yet another deviation. Actually, academically speaking, to be an expert means knowing more and more about less and less. My knowledge of the Middle Ages (though I am not claiming to be an expert, but perhaps on my way to such a status) is certainly better in some areas; I don’t feel it is unreasonable for me to say that I know more about the Germanic military capabilities of the classical period or the religious thoughts of the early bretwaldas of England than anyone else here (I might be wrong, certainly, but such knowledge is so trivial that I doubt it). But if we were to talk about, say, French social systems during the same time period as King Aethelbert, my “study” is much less useful. There will probably be a few random details that I picked up about that in my study of the other topics, but nothing worth noting. In specific, I might know more than other people (and only in a few specific topics), but in general we are all fairly evenly matched. I don’t doubt that you, ZeaLitY, Zeppy, Radical Dreamer, Kebrel, or Chrono’s cat could run circles around me, if given the proper topic of discussion (and visa versa if we were to, say, discuss the importance of certain pages in certain copies of the Guttenberg Bible having 40, rather than 42, lines).

Still, in the bustle of your response, I notice you declined to offer your real age. I can only guess that it embarrasses you, or else I think you would have freely and perhaps even proudly offered it up, if for no other reason than to defuse the subject and get back to the topic at hand. I’m willing to go out on a limb and guess that you are north of 34 and south of 70, but I can’t do any better than that.

Actually, I didn’t give my age because I find it mostly irrelevant (the mere accumulation of years… why should we judge people based on something they have no control over? And as people have the unfortunate tendency to do this, why should I offer such a chance?). However, my age is also freely available on the forum. Look under the “So tell me a little about yourself” thread, http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,4850.15.html

Your estimates to my age are almost hilariously off. No, I still wont mention it here. If you really think it is important to know, go look. I also won’t tell you if I have a high school diploma or college degree(s) and if so, what in (though I suspect that such information isn’t too hard to deduce).

As for why I didn’t “defuse the subject and get back to the topic at hand,” the topic at hand has mostly been addressed. We’ve all made our arguments; a few more points of insight might come forward, but mostly what follows now is quibbling over this or that, nothing so significant as to cause one side of the other to come toppling down. As such, I am feeling rather indulgent in random conversation.

Insidious, eh? No, I’m pretty straightforward about what I want.

Interesting. I highly recommend you look over your analysis a little more, then. I think once you find what I am referring to with that insidious remark, you will be surprised and, I hope, amused. But as an aside, you are rather insidious, as illustrated by your admitted use of ad hominem attacks. Enrage your opponent so that they are less likely to post clear, reasoned responses? I am afraid I find such behavior despicable, in the worst meaning of the word. Such behavior is more fitting a tall, thin man dressed entirely in black and twirling a wiry handlebar mustache while cackling gleefully over some poor damsel tied to a train track.

You’re too modest.

Actually I’m not. But I do believe that if I act as if I were modest (and all that being modest would entail), I might actually be modest someday. Same goes for other things that I see as virtue. So some of what you see about me is just an act, but it is a rather honest con. I try to act as I want to be, even if I am not yet that, in hopes that action will lead to reality.

As for your extended commentary about Krispin… I am no psychologist, and glad of it. I like simple things, such as quantum mechanics, far more than the lovecraftian complexity of your relationship with him. I would, however, say it is unhealthy in the extreme. Yes, Krispin would do quite well to ignore you (and I am afraid you cannot ask him to pay attention when you are making real arguments if you are so willing to employ underhanded tactics; with the latter you have sacrificed trust that the former can be forthcoming), but you would do quite well to cease the behavior. Morality and ethics aside, if nothing else it is impolite and lacking in tact.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »
What a fantastic spinjob, ignorant of the times that God commanded the Jews to murder every last person in their way on their trek out of Egypt, simply because. I rest my case. It is impossible to apply reason to that which is based on reason's suspension, and takes its cues from a contradictory relic of antiquity lending itself to all kinds of interpretations that facilitate hatred and oppression. What fallacy is there, when the religion cannot be separated from the doctrine and acts its human followers commit in its name? Lord J gave several smashing examples of Christianity's evils, each propagated and motivated by Bible verse.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 02:03:26 am »
It seems I'm a bit late in my promised response, but a man's word is his bond, so I shall respond to those issues that have not been dealt with already.

First, I shall address Daniel's comments.

You defend religion as having produced great art. I'm not going to say that it hasn't. Mind you, some (although I won't guess at how much) of that was through coercion, and all of it was ultimately paid for in the blood religion has shed. Perhaps I have not been clear; I do not think that religion has done no good in human history; I think it has been a net harm to humanity. I think that the bad outweighs the good. How many lives are a painting worth? How much needless misery is paid for by a statue?

Furthermore, the good that religion has done is not unique to religion. Other things have inspired art, music, charity; any good that has ever been inspired by religion. Just as the evil will find excuses to do evil, the truly good will not need excuses to do good in this world.

You ask if we disavow political structures? Ultimately, yes. In practice however, this should wait, as they are presently still are a net good. The same, I assert, is not true of religion. Also, this question is tangential at best, as politics and religion should answer for their own crimes. I understand that you want us to apply the same scrutiny to all social institutions as we do to religion, and I agree. But this is a different discussion with little if any bearing on the topic at hand.

You asked what happiness do we gain due to progress? Science and technology have brough us means of staying in instant contact with out loved ones over geographic expanses that would have taken months even a century or so ago. We can now record for posterity the beautiful sights, actions and sounds both of the natural world and of man's achievements, and share them to a huge portion of mankind in the blink of an eye and for as long as civilization stands. Music is no longer a rare luxury; between the microphone and the portable hard drive we now have access to generation's worth of music at our fingertips. The march of science has brought great joy into countless lives, and that's not even considering all the lives saved and illnesses treated and cured.

You chastise ZeaLity for taking the oppresion in the Bible being out of it's social context. It is true that the societies spoken of were more barbaric than our present civilization. But following the moral examples laid out in the Bible today is also taking the Bible out of context. To do so is to apply the moral standards of bronze age nomads to our modern, more knowledgable (if not more enlightened, as you seem to like that word) society.

I've also taken note of some of Thought's comments, and I'll address them as well.

First of all, you seem insistent on blaming the people who are members of an institution and not the institution itself. I would be interested to hear you give an example of where you think a social institution (better still a religion) can take (or take a majority share of the blame) for the actions of its people, and why.

You comment that atheists asserting a desire for religion to peacefully fade away puts the religious on the defensive. You then call this desire genocide and intellectual eugenics. Is there a point to that escalation of hostile rhetoric in opposition to your own observations, or are you simply trying to cast atheists as monsters for wanting a peacefull end to needless suffering? Was it genocide when the geocentrists died out? Was it intellectual eugenics when the flat earthers were no longer given consideration?

You seem to be coming from the assumption that the law of Christianity is just. That what it calls a crime is a crime, and that the punishments described are all fitting and fair. You claim that we must prove an act is good, or at the very least, not bad, before we condemn...well, the condemnation of that act. That sort of thinking may be appropriate in a Biblical framework, but in any society that values freedom and justice, that is a very backwards view. If you want to condemn an act, the burden is on you to demonstrate that it is harmfull. That you do not do so, and argue for the opposite course, means that you are arguing for tyranny. In doing so you inadvertently side with ZeaLity and I; we all seem to agree that religion is a tyrannical force. Why then, do you seek to justify tyranny when it has been the source of nothing but misery to its many victims?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 02:53:55 am »
Thought wrote:
Strangely enough, I’ve reread my post and can’t find where I said that.

You are correct. Krispin said the line that I attributed to you. I was confused by your poor formatting—you left out several closing quote tags—which is a good lesson as to why formatting is important. Nonetheless, the mistake was mine and I apologize.

But as an aside, you are rather insidious, as illustrated by your admitted use of ad hominem attacks. Enrage your opponent so that they are less likely to post clear, reasoned responses? I am afraid I find such behavior despicable, in the worst meaning of the word. Such behavior is more fitting a tall, thin man dressed entirely in black and twirling a wiry handlebar mustache while cackling gleefully over some poor damsel tied to a train track.

I understand. If it is any consolation, I don’t toy with just any opponent…only the ones who, themselves, disrespect the terms of debate. Let me be clear about that: Disrespecting one’s opponent is one thing…poor form, but within the rules. I myself have done it from time to time, as I said. But getting into a debate and disrespecting the debate itself is not acceptable, because it makes communication impossible. It is the dialectical equivalent of a guerilla war. Go back and read some of his responses to me. Krispin never fought to win; he fought to cheapen discourse itself, and, in so doing, advance his own unsubstantiated claims. If somebody challenges him, persistently, as I did, Krispin summarily disqualifies that person from having anything worthwhile to contribute. There used to be a time when we argued with each other more respectfully. He abandoned that “strategy” when it became clear that I was not somebody who would allow him impunity in espousing his sexist and parochial attitudes on this forum.

My persistence is what ruined him; now he has abandoned all pretense of intellectual honesty here. Today Krispin plays a dirty game and I have no compunctions exploiting his own failures to discredit or defeat him. If it were a matter of life and limb, I would feel differently. You used an example of somebody tied to a train track. I would not do something like that to anybody, and I resent the very implication. But in intellectual debate, where nobody is going to perish at a word, may the dishonorable be shamed by whatever means.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »
First of all, you seem insistent on blaming the people who are members of an institution and not the institution itself. I would be interested to hear you give an example of where you think a social institution (better still a religion) can take (or take a majority share of the blame) for the actions of its people, and why.

I am terribly sorry if it seems that way. I would argue that this appearance (that I insist on not blaming the institution itself) is due to that I have presented counter arguments to the other extreme (blaming the person rather than the institution). I merely want blame to be apportioned where it is due.

Another reason for such an appearance, however, is that I am horribly optimistic about and too human to remove all of my bias from my arguments (I try, but fail). Even when institutions go horribly horribly wrong, I can usually find a bit of good resulting from it.

But for your request, if you are willing to consider small enough institutions within institutions, then I believe I can offer an example. That is, I generally find the institution of Religion to be blameless as there is no atrocity that results from the whole, rather than the part. As for the institution of specific religions, I freely admit I generally do not know enough about those institutions to accurately judge if blame should be placed on people or the institution. But if you are willing to go a little further down, to institutions within specific religions (but are not institutions of the religion as a whole), then I might provide an example with a degree of confidence.

If you are willing to consider so small a matter, then there are two examples from Christianity (since that apparently is the religion of debate, currently) that I can provide with the institution has a heavy share of blame. The first is the old institution of universalism; the Catholic Church originally meant the "universal church," there wasn't the idea that people could be apart from the Catholic Church and still be Christian (an institution that the Catholic Church still largely holds to). Different believers all had the same faith, and if it was the same faith it should look the same, in all matters. It is this doctrine that was then used in the Crusades and the religious wars of Europe to help justify attacking and killing "the other." In each of those specific instances, I would claim that politics and other institutions played a larger role than religion (and thus in each instance deserve more blame), but the net effect is that a the institution of universalism in Christianity, over the course of time, amassed a rather larger amount of blame (collected ounce by ounce, as it were) for its role in various events. When weighted against its benefits (which I am unable to provide a single example of), the blame that is due universalism far outweighs its benefit. However, the fault of the institution of universalism cannot be applied to the whole of Christianity (or the whole of religion) for the simple reason that not all Christians follow it, and not all Christian follow it in the same manner. Consider Methodists; they believe "in essentials, unity, in non-essentials, liberty, and in all things, charity."

One of the many arguments between the Catholic Church and the Eastern orthodox Church, over the years, has been the number of fingers one should use in certain blessings. Look at this image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S._Peter_GraoVasco1.jpg

Do you see the gang sing that Peter is flashing? Two fingers and the thumb of his right hand raised? You can tell that that is a Western painting if for no other reason than that if an Eastern Orthodox painter had created the same sort of painting, with Peter in the exact same position, three fingers and a thumb would have been raised. A single finger is all the difference (there is an official name for what this sign is, but unfortunately my mind is drawing a blank), yet it is an argument that Western and Eastern Christianity fought over! It didn't cause the schism, mind you, but it was just one more reason why "they are wrong and not actually Christian." That is the exact sort of thing that a Methodist would laugh at and urge liberty and charity.

Another particular instance of universalism demanding utter conformity was in the Pallium. If you will pardon me for being somewhat heretical, a Pallium is essentially a fancy, religious scarf. The Western and Eastern Churches debated over it for quite some time as well, from what it should look like to when it can be used and who can bestow the honor of wearing it! Again, this didn't cause the schism but was just one more instance of "they are wrong and outside the faith."

Then if the Eastern Church is outside the faith… what is it if western believers pillage the capital a few times, or kill a few heretics?

However, having given that example, I must also point out that universalism is not inherently a Christian institution. True, the bible does claim that there is only one faith; however, it speaks nothing of gang signs, fancy scarves, languages to pray in, or a myriad of other petty battles that the institution of universalism has caused its followers to fight over. It is merely a single institution under the general banner of Christianity, which is itself just one institution under the larger banner of religion.

You comment that atheists asserting a desire for religion to peacefully fade away puts the religious on the defensive. You then call this desire genocide and intellectual eugenics. Is there a point to that escalation of hostile rhetoric in opposition to your own observations, or are you simply trying to cast atheists as monsters for wanting a peacefull end to needless suffering? Was it genocide when the geocentrists died out? Was it intellectual eugenics when the flat earthers were no longer given consideration?

Actually, if you will note, when I brought up eugenics and genocide, I labeled my own comments as emotional rather than intellectual (coming from the body as a whole, rather than just the mind). That religion is on the defensive is partially (or entirely, depending on how you want to look at it) an emotional response, therefore allowing a little emotion to show seemed relevant. Such isn't an argument in itself (arguments from emotion are never good things to make), rather it is a look into your enemy (not me necessarily, but the religious in general) so that you might understand him better.

As a side note, geo-centrists and flat earthers are still around, so no, it wasn't genocide ;)
However, even at that, there wasn't the intentional desire to eradicate such ideas. Intention is what separates genocide from extinction (I am curious, however, can religion try to get on the endangered species list?)

You seem to be coming from the assumption that the law of Christianity is just. That what it calls a crime is a crime, and that the punishments described are all fitting and fair. You claim that we must prove an act is good, or at the very least, not bad, before we condemn...well, the condemnation of that act. That sort of thinking may be appropriate in a Biblical framework, but in any society that values freedom and justice, that is a very backwards view. If you want to condemn an act, the burden is on you to demonstrate that it is harmfull. That you do not do so, and argue for the opposite course, means that you are arguing for tyranny. In doing so you inadvertently side with ZeaLity and I; we all seem to agree that religion is a tyrannical force. Why then, do you seek to justify tyranny when it has been the source of nothing but misery to its many victims?

Actually, I meant to claim the opposite; that you (you in the sense of one opposed to religion) must prove an act is bad before you condemn it. Or are you saying that I need to justify condemnation before I condemn your condemning?

Anywho, allow me to quote myself:

So then, your argument in this case should not be that these verses are intolerant ..., but that the intolerance is inherently bad.

Well then, do we all agree that religion is tyrannical? No, but let me trace the debate very hastily (and as such, probably very incorrectly) to show where I think the divergences are. You (general you, not you literally) claim that religion is violent, intolerant, unjust and therefore should be discarded. To support this assumption/conclusion, specific examples are given. I (not I specifically, but I as in the opposition) counter that claim by arguing that the specific examples are not as violent, intolerant, or unjust as is claimed and in addition to that, even where assertion is correct, those instances are actually good (not bad) because they conform to pre-established laws and the sort.

If I might offer a science-flavored analogy, imagine that there is an established scientific hypothesis. A young investigator collects some data and presents it as why that hypothesis is wrong. A different investigator responds that some of the presented data was testing unrelated reactions and that the rest of the data actually conforms to the hypothesis's own rules.

Now there might be a feeling of injustice in my request that those who oppose religion offer detailed evidence, where as I am seemingly (and indeed am) letting religion off the hook in providing evidence. This is unequal work! Such behavior is influenced by two things, however. On one hand, we have the old claim that one is innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof, then, is on the prosecution. On the other hand, removing religion is a paradigm shift. Religion is the established paradigm, non-religion is the new paradigm that you are proposing society shifts to. However, paradigm shifts will only occur when the faults of the old paradigm become crippling. Merely stating that religion is "intolerant," "unjust," "or "violent" no more shows the faults of religion than stating that religion is "blue" or "shaped like a moose" shows the faults of religion.

Of course, I would also object to tyranny necessarily being a bad thing, but that is a fair bit of a tangent.

I suppose almost all my arguments could be summed up in two words; proper methodology. To speak in the language of the National Institute of Health; until your methods match your aims, I'm afraid your proposal won't be scored, let alone funded.

Now, if the arguments were to be switched a bit and you were defending atheism as a valid stance and I were attacking it as such, then the burden of proof would be mine.

If it were a matter of life and limb, I would feel differently. You used an example of somebody tied to a train track. I would not do something like that to anybody, and I resent the very implication. But in intellectual debate, where nobody is going to perish at a word, may the dishonorable be shamed by whatever means.

Shame the dishonorable by being dishonorable yourself?

But as to if it is a matter of life and limb, my dear Lord J that is exactly what is on the line. This is an intellectual debate, true; our bodies are not on the line, but our lives are. On one side, if religion is a falsehood best done away with, there are the wasted lives spent in religion. On the other side, if religion is Truth, there are the immortal lives building for themselves an eternal prison.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:40:10 pm by Thought »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 10:05:56 pm »
Shame the dishonorable by being dishonorable yourself?

There is nothing dishonorable about turning his own misdeeds against him. In fact, that is one of the great nonviolent strategems. That's how the civil rights movement won in America, likewise women's suffrage.

"Dishonorable" would have been for me to ban or censor him before I retired as an admin from this place, or to post his private account information for everyone else to see, or to misuse it myself. I never did those things and never intended to.

"Dishonorable" would have been to exasperate him without truly responding to his arguments on the topic, but obviously I have spent a good deal of my time doing the intellectual legwork necessary to respond.

"Dishonorable" would have been to stand idly by while he disparaged women, demeaned nonbelievers, revised history to fit his own romantic vision, and so forth. Truly, people of good conscience cannot simply ignore such injustices, and I never did.

You're new here, Thought, and it is easy for the newcomer to question longstanding feuds. You're also not a party to the feud, and it is easy for the outsider to misunderstand the passions and reasons involved. I did the best I could to provide rationale, from my point of view, in my earlier post. If, in response to that, of all the many things you might have said or asked, a patronizing lecture on honor is the best you have for me, then what reason have I to linger and further? Your point, as it were, is made.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2008, 11:44:54 pm »
Man... this has turned into quite the war, (obviously there are some that are neutral to the whole thing or just placing an objective opinion as such) but I'm pretty sure it was not the intention of this topic to degenerate into infighting or bickering about mistranslations and miscellaneous details. :roll: Besides this was meant to be a philosophical debate on a personal level (i.e. not regurgitating information from others, religions, or literature.) And to those who say religions, and  derivatively those governed by said religions, were and are violent: *they were ultimately force-fed preinterpreted, regurgitated scriptures* (take the crusades for example not many  European *christians* were exactly literate at the time {I'm emphasizing christians because I don't want this to degenerate into an argument as well saying "not everybody religious was illiterate then"} so of course they were under the assumption that it was okay to spread religion through the business end of a long sword). I'm not trying to go off topic as so many have, but thats pretty much whats fueling this argument, and besides basing your arguments on the Old Testament or other equivalent works is folly because who said that the Old Testament or other equivalent works were exactly "peaceful" (and yes I know there was religion-condoned violence after the Old Testament, Jews aside, most violence was based on the older, less tolerant components of religions) , as I put it, but rather I was focusing on the New Testament and other more modern religious components of other religions who focus on tolerance, love, and peaceful relations with your neighbors. Which I thought was supposed to be the keystone of the *modern* Christian's faith. And yes, I am a Christian (albeit I'm an agnostic one, I am a Christian nonetheless. Never believed in institutions anyways personal interpretations always get accepted as "divine" truth.  :x).

On a side note I agree: this *has* turned into a pretty text-heavy debate hasn't it?  :wink:

EDIT: Grammatical Errors
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:28:21 am by BROJ »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2008, 02:32:00 am »
Besides this was meant to be a philosophical debate on a personal level (i.e. not regurgitating information from others, religions, or literature.)
First of all, I don't think this topic was meant to be a debate at all. I'd know, I started it. But the quoted part of what you wrote is interesting, because much of the philosophy of theologians comes from text, and therefore it'd be impossible for them to not regurgitate information from religion. They can't separate their own views from that of their religion, because their views ARE their religion.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2008, 05:37:08 pm »
Besides this was meant to be a philosophical debate on a personal level (i.e. not regurgitating information from others, religions, or literature.)
First of all, I don't think this topic was meant to be a debate at all. I'd know, I started it. But the quoted part of what you wrote is interesting, because much of the philosophy of theologians comes from text, and therefore it'd be impossible for them to not regurgitate information from religion. They can't separate their own views from that of their religion, because their views ARE their religion.

Well, in many ways, theology is a subset of philosophy. Or that's what I'd say at any rate. The two are very much intertwined. For example, what we see as NT Christianity is, in many ways, a union of the ancient Hebrew religion with contemporary Hellenistic thought... indeed, Christian thought might be said to be what you get when you cross Judaism with Greek philosophy. God in Christianity has become far more a philosophical ideal than in Judaism, and it owes that to Greek thought. In Judaism it was all how God acted to us, personally and in experience. Of course you still have that in Christianity, but that's the part that hearkens back to Judaism. The part that talks about God in ideals and eternals and such things like that is the influence of contemporary Greek thought. After all, our apostle Paul was Greek trained, and so were all the writers for that matter. The NT was written in Greek, and so the writers must have been versed in contemporary Greek philosophy to an extent. Ie. the beginning of the book of John. 'In the beginning was the Word...' the Word, 'logos', was a contemporary Greek philosophical concept, and John (whom who attribute it to) knew that. Luke, another one of the writers, has a very Classical Greek style at times, and as such must have been versed in the history and philosophy of the Greeks. Christianity would never have caught on as it did if it didn't marry itself to Greek philosophical thought which, in many ways, is the legacy of the apostle Paul. As such, it is very tough to ostracise the discussion of religion from the discussion of philosophy, at least in Christianity.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 04:09:23 am »
Wait a second, just a thought... why is there this assumption that religion is something old and atheism something 'new'? There have been atheists just about as long as there have been theists... that much our literature shows us. This argument is an eternal back and forth. Why the supposition that atheism is some sort of new light that will inevitably erase the old ideas of religion? That's a bit strange, historically speaking at any rate. I mean,ZeaLitY, you're a Kapaneus or an Ajax (the lesser one, not the Telamonian); I'm an Amphiaraos or such. I'd be the one standing at the Ismeneus ford crying out against what's unrighteous; and you'd surmount Thebe's wall and curse an impotent Zeus from the battlements. We're fighting it out like characters from old myth. And it leads me to think... wherefrom this thought that it's all something new, that we've reached some sort of cusp of advancement? If history and literature shows us anything, it's how exactly the same we are at heart as those people that lived thousands of years ago. I know that's not what you want to hear - aren't we supposed to be getting better? - but that's how it is.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 04:24:50 am by Daniel Krispin »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 04:32:52 am »
You are correct that there have been atheists and theists arguing since, well, probably since the first theist. The change is that we now have enough knowledge of the universe that a naturalistic explanation is intellectually satisfying.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2008, 04:42:25 am »
You are correct that there have been atheists and theists arguing since, well, probably since the first theist. The change is that we now have enough knowledge of the universe that a naturalistic explanation is intellectually satisfying.

True enough, I guess. But though it's now more 'proveable' (I put that in quotations because, if you want to get technical about making knowledge claims, all proof is based on human cognition, which requires a certain level of trust to go with), even that has been assumed since at least the first Natural Philosophers in the 500s. Anaximander has the Boundless as his basic thing; Thales had water. Though these were wrong, they actually had reason for believing these to be true, even as the typical water/earth/fire/air elemental system had some empirically satisfiable conclusions... for the time. It must be remembered that that which we know now might one day prove to be similarly askew (say, if we better understand the nature of quantum mechanics, which we might.) As such, is what we have now any more intellectually satisfying than the conclusions of Thales? And if not, then such a level of intellectual resolution has existed at the least for 2500 years. Basically, though we know what we know to be more absolutely accurate (more or less) than something Thales might have said, his conclusions probably seemed about as intellectually satisfying to him as ours do to us. And judging by the fact that we still have a hell of a lot to learn, what we have now is actually likely very insufficient to make it truely 'intellectually satisfying'... more or less. So I can't be quite confident and say 'now we know more so we can be more certain in this stance.' Maybe. But maybe not. But we do know more, I'll give you that... and that knowledge does put restrictions on what we can believe about the nature of any possible god, or even the existence or not thereof. For example, how does one reconcile prayer with the omnigod of the philosophers? One really cannot, at least if prayers can be answered. If God is immutible, then to be changed or acted upon is contrary to the nature of God, and as such prayer cannot be answered. These sorts of problems, borne out either by new concepts in knowledge or philosophical understanding, do require a bit of reinvention of our concept of religion, and restrict what we can, reasonably, believe.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 11:07:45 pm »

Yeah I guess "debate" a little strong of a word I suppose *civil discussion* would have served better. Either way, I was  just trying to preserve the *civility* of the discussion. As for said theologians not being able to separate their views from their respective religion the Reformation, Galileo, and others could pose an argument to that statement.  :wink: At any rate, what I ultimately meant was to have an *open* mind during this *civil discussion*.