Author Topic: no soul  (Read 1085 times)

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: no soul
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
If you feel that what you are creating is mechanical, then it isn't art. Simple as that. (unless you're Andy Warhol, who tried to make his art as mechanical as he could but ended up making it as expressionist as possible).

What do you mean by mechanical? As in nothing put into it, or how I say it, no "soul"? Well, I know I'm not making any mechanical music. I put my time and heart into it...although I wouldn't mind for better sound quality.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 02:23:13 am »
^ = art.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 02:30:39 am »
If you feel that what you are creating is mechanical, then it isn't art. Simple as that. (unless you're Andy Warhol, who tried to make his art as mechanical as he could but ended up making it as expressionist as possible).

Does that idea include practical art like architecture?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 08:12:39 am »
I assume BZ meant "going through the motions" when he said mechanical.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:09 am »
Um, that's not what it sounds like from that quote...If it said 'when' instead of 'what' & 'it is'...and didn't have that Andy Warhol stuff then, yeah, I could understand where you're coming from placidchap...is there something earlier than that that was said that I missed?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 08:42:26 am »
No, I don't think you missed anything V_Trans, he said mechanical and the word mechanical to me, can either have to do with machinery, or have to do with performing/doing something without passion, which is basically "going through the motions".  You are doing it just to do it, not because you love to do it or want to do it.  I don't know what else mechanical could mean?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 02:27:48 pm »
In this case it seems to me to be more the former i.e. something cold, robotic, repetitive, unemotional, etc.

Where teh hell are you BZ? ANSWER ME!!! :P

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 03:15:37 am »
I'm here, I'm here! What I meant by mechanical was when you create something without putting your values, ideas, concepts of beauty and stuff into it. And it depends one what you mean by architecture. Since only 3% of houses in Australia are designed by 'architects', that implies that the beautiful and kooky ones you see are most likely "art", but the ones that you see which are based on plans and function and stuff aren't art (unless you're a follower of Bauhaus, in which case GTFO)