Author Topic: New Nu  (Read 1375 times)

Dark Jaguar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
New Nu
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:14:37 am »
I was also reading something about Nus and it seems that a large number of the articles seem to assume the Nu in the dome in 2400 AD is exactly the same as the rest in the game.  I myself always thought it was clear that that specific Nu was actually a robot that Belthazar built in the image of the actual Nu species, since he used to be surrounded by them in Zeal.  Any thoughts on this?  It certainly alleviates concerns that the Nu species needs to be considered "programmable" and it seems to be pretty strongly indicated by just how different it acts and how it's messages talk about it being built in the game (whereas the Nu in prehistory couldn't really have been built as not even the Reptites seemed to have robotics technology).

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: New Nu
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
I think you'd better re-check the Nu article (uh, there is one, right? I forget...)...I think most people believe one or two theories regarding them...One is that Nus are a biologically created, perhaps they're androids, but I think a lot of people just assume that Belthasar's was the only android or robot version because of the sleep button and such...one thing that makes this theory not exactly pan out for ALL of the Nus is their ability to replicate, which is also assumed that all of them have instead of just the one in...uh, Enhansa?

Also, it's assumed (possibly only by me...I no longer remember when last the Nu thread was posted in) that the Nu trapped in the sealed pyramid is Belthasar's Nu and since it seems to have the ability to travel through time, I think it's possible that the Nus were originally his test subjects for time travel and that that's how the Nu came to be in the Hunting Range & later in Ioka (might be the same since, I think, the one in the range no longer appears at that point).

Dark Jaguar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »
If most people do think that the only robot Nu is Bel's then that's fine.  The wording of the article just didn't lend itself to that.  It seemed like his Nu was being treated as being identical to all the others.

I think the one in the sealed pyramid was simply put there during the era of Zeal to give out treasure and after the incident there just was no longer anyone around who could activate it until millenia later when it finally was reachable in a forest north of Medina.

Glennleo

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Glenn - The true Hero and weilder of the Masamune.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »
Also, it's assumed (possibly only by me...I no longer remember when last the Nu thread was posted in) that the Nu trapped in the sealed pyramid is Belthasar's Nu and since it seems to have the ability to travel through time, I think it's possible that the Nus were originally his test subjects for time travel and that that's how the Nu came to be in the Hunting Range & later in Ioka (might be the same since, I think, the one in the range no longer appears at that point).

I'd have to definitely agree with you on this point. I think that Belthasar used android Nu's, based off of the Nu species in 12,000 BC, to practice time traveling with. It explains why they are found in other eras pretty well.

But the ones in the hunting range do confuse me. Did Nus originate in 65,000,000BC, and die out with the fall of Zeal, or did Nus originate in 12,000BC and go back to 65,000,000BC. Which came first? (the chicken or the egg?  :))

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 07:18:53 pm »
What about the Nu's Wave Oven ability which only fairly recently found it's way into the 2000 era?

I can't explain that one...

Man, I've wanted to just make a whole thread w/pics of companies that use the word Nu (instead of New). I've seen a lot of them...even a nail salon called Nu Nails!

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 12:38:12 am »
I feel like the Nu in the hunting range originated from 65000000 BC because its grammar isn't sophisticated...

[Nu]
   You strong!
   Here!
   Take!

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 03:20:03 am »
Welcome to New Nu, the game show where you could win a makeover worth $10,000!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 09:03:36 am »
I feel like the Nu in the hunting range originated from 65000000 BC because its grammar isn't sophisticated...

[Nu]
   You strong!
   Here!
   Take!

Well, I can explain that via the theory I presented...If Belthasar DID send it back, he could have either 1) intentionally programmed it to have limited vocabulary or 2) wouldn't have had to program it with much of a vocabulary at all since it was an experiment!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:50:39 pm »
But all that seems like a lot of work...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
Well then, you can attribute his hard work to his later insanities...he seemed like a pretty hard-working guy to me though...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:21 am »
okay, thats true...considering he did put together and orchestrate Project Kid...

I dunno, though, I just always saw the Nu's as some sort of offspring of the planet or something.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:39 am »
I can understand that...but why can't it be both? If the Zealians could learn to manipulate Magic, the Sunstone, Dreamstone, & even Lavos...why not them Nus, avatars of the planet or no (though I think that place is taken up by the Dreamstone siblings, Masa, Mune & Doreen)?

Hmm...

Belthasar - Nus
Melchior - Masa, Mune, Doreen
Gaspar - Spekkio

...?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:30 pm »
that's true.  didn't even think of masa, mune, and doreen.

so.  nu's

gotta love 'em.