Author Topic: The reason MsBlack, Zeality and Lord J hate religion  (Read 1570 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
The reason MsBlack, Zeality and Lord J hate religion
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:09:19 am »
http://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1

EDIT: Despite what Lord J says, I'm not trying to attack any one of you, but show the Compendium samples of some of the flaws in religion, and their consequences.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:25:33 pm by Burning Zeppelin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The reason MsBlack, Zeality and Lord J hate religion
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:08:10 am »
They hate religion because of a collection of "quotes" that express concepts so poorly formulated as to make one wonder if they are serious "quotes" or parody/satire (yet I am terribly afraid they are probably the former)?

Or perhaps you mean more generally, that they hate religion because of certain individuals who hold beliefs that, though are not necessitated by their cannon, they claim that they are and that such individuals who hold such beliefs do so in the face of reasonable evidence of the contrary as posed by religious and non-religious alike?

Really, I am not sure how that link is supposed to be the reason those three hate religion (or, even if it is, why such a topic is even worthy of its own thread).

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:49:26 am »
I think that link would show anyone why some people believe that religion closes people's eyes. I can only say that religion hasn't evolved with culture, in some cases, it has stayed the same for at least 500 years, keeping some medieval thoughts (which are most the same since the beginning of the religious movements), if not all of them. Everyone can seek a way for illumination if they feel like they want/need it, and it should be according to that person's interests and ways of life, keeping in mind the society's rules, or at least respecting the borders of your own freedom, and others freedom.   

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:30:20 pm »
I can't speak for the other two, but I for one have to admire Burning Z's temerity at going after somebody with the tag "Entity" beneath their name. You're lucky ZeaLitY permits heresy at the Compendium. =)

O, and Thought, I am still working on my reply in the Atheism thread. Do not give up hope yet! My time is limited, but my will is not.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 03:19:19 pm »
O, and Thought, I am still working on my reply in the Atheism thread. Do not give up hope yet! My time is limited, but my will is not.

Alas, Lord J, leaving a place is so much less dramatic when you keep returning :)
But as for your response, I am interested. Our means of analysis seem to be so different as to not even be in the same phylum, however...

Still, in regards to BZ, I am not sure I see how he is going after ZeaLitY in this particular manner. After all, I am religious and that link is enough to raise my ire; I, at least (and I hope others), could not fault an individual for a similar emotional response. Indeed, it is right and proper for any individual, insofar as that individual appreciates reason as a light into the world, to find those "quotes" and the concepts that they try to express (insofar as I know what those concepts and quotes are; again, I didn’t read them all) irritating.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:23:23 pm »
I can't speak for the other two, but I for one have to admire Burning Z's temerity at going after somebody with the tag "Entity" beneath their name. You're lucky ZeaLitY permits heresy at the Compendium. =)

Hey, it's not an attack on any of the people listed in the topic title, I'm just showing what the obvious flaws in religion are, and relating back to your arguments on the Atheism forum. Plus, the fact that Zeality allows heresy is one of the reason's I still post here :P

They hate religion because of a collection of "quotes" that express concepts so poorly formulated as to make one wonder if they are serious "quotes" or parody/satire (yet I am terribly afraid they are probably the former)?
I had that thought after reading the quotes too, but judging by the context and such, it seems less and less likely that it is satire.

Plus, for those who aren't bothered to read through them all, here are some good quotes:

Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

[about a girl being born with mental disabilities]

This girl is like a leper so what she needs to do is try and find god

if she really believes she can be healed from this state, she will be healed from this state

Most afflictions like this are caused by sins committed while still inside the womb. If she can repent for what she does god will embrace her and make her as human as you or me but if she chooses not to she'll always be like this

god tests every one of us [emphasis added]

You got it backwards.

Creationism is based upon science, reason and tons of evidence.

Evolution is based on the blind acceptance of superstitions and fairy tales.

[Replying to 'as for not seeing evolution it takes several million years... incase you missed that memo...']

several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years.

How can anyone beleive we evolved from monkeys heres a few questions for people who beleive that

1.If we did evolve from monkeys then how come babies arent born monkeys

2.Even Darwin said his theories were wrong before he died so why do you still believe them

3.do you really not believe the bible it says we were created in seven days not millions of years

4.how come we cant speak monkey

Just for a fact ape like creatures are monkeys Just in case certain people get on this thread

[Talking about an eleven year old girl who was raped and then buried alive]

god was sacrificing this child as a way to show others the light. much as he did his own child. what a beautiful gift he has given us.

Me and like-minded Christian students are trying to organize a mock stoning of openly gay students at our campus. We will be using crumpled up gray/brown construction paper to represent rocks, and will recite bible verses in opposition to their sinful nature. We will throw a volley or two of these "rocks" at every Gay person we happen to encounter that day.

A missionary I knew watched a bullet headed for him do a RIGHT ANGLE before it got to him.

Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!

And my personal favourite:

No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest "cover" of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:34:37 pm by Burning Zeppelin »

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:33:56 pm »
I see what BZ is getting at, and for me he hit it right on. I have nothing against religion, but the blind ignorate ones who support ridiculous claims.

This were my favorite's :D.
A woman wants to abort a rape child? She should have thought of that before she walked down that dark alley without a male prescence, not to mention she should have thought before putting on revealing attire.

[Yes. It should (be legal). Otherwise you're screwing over the women who don't deserve their fate.]

Are you calling them victims now? Should've stayed in the house where it's safe.

Apes are just creatures twisted by Satan to mock Jesus by giving EVILolition credibility. Further more they are naturally lust crazed for human women. Since they are not natural creatures they should be exterminated forthwith as the tools of evil they are.
[on why God had to have written the Bible]

But think about it, who is smart enough to write the Holy Bible? The answer, no one.

[...]

How could people back then have written words with such intellegence? We were not very educated back then, we all know. So tell me, how could people back ages ago could have written the bible?
[Rape in the Bible]

Women are naturally weak, they are more open to sin, then men are.

The rapes happened in the bible yes they happened and were recorded , why to teach us a lesson, have you not heard of parables, in the Bible, these happend to teach us women not to bare are flesh or to lust.

(So you worship a Pro-Rape God with sadistic personality disorder?)

God allows it to happen, in the hope that it would teach us and strengthen are faith.

It happens, but most female rape victims often bring it on themselves.

(What a unbelievable statement! Are you for real? Please be a troll.)

a troll? yes i am being real.

God is not sadistic, he allows it for are sake, so we could learn.

(So God is Satan? I'm Confused.)

[Full article includes pictures of women playing sports]

However, if you look at pictures of female athletes who play sports or observe them on the playing fields, you will notice that many develop strong, muscular bodies. Female athletes also sneer, wince, push, and fight just like the men. I notice these things all the time in pictures in our hometown newspaper. The sneers are most obvious; they make young women very unfeminine. The masculine uniforms and sweaty bodies aren’t very attractive, either.
[...]
I propose that sports greatly hinders the development of godly, Biblical, feminine character. Parents today expend extraordinary amounts of time and energy taking their daughters from one sports event to another, week after week, even to the point where it exhausts the family and family resources. The fruits we see are that today’s Christian women are often ill-prepared to be Biblically obedient wives and mothers.

I also notice when driving by our public school grounds and sports fields another phenomenon taking place: the young girls are trained in sports right along with the boys. To me, this can only be degrading to the boys. In some cases, girls regularly participate on boys' sports teams, and therefore compete against the boys themselves. During the past decade, more and more girls participated in wrestling; since there were no girls' wrestling teams, they joined the boys' teams and competed against the boys. I read about one school where the boys refused to wrestle the girls and forfeited their matches; there could be no greater embarrassment to them than to lose to a girl, not to mention it likely violated their sense of masculine chivalry. So not only is female sports participation degrading the feminine nature of women, in many cases it degrades the developing masculinity in boys.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:24 am »
I have nothing against religion, but the blind ignorate ones who support ridiculous claims.

And that is something we all can agree on.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:59:48 pm »
I hate religion because even if you try and follow the bible you'll still find yourself in position to go to hell.

I'd rather have a set of moral codes for me by set by myself and my experiances with other people then have to listen to some dude tell me how I should be nice when his very own governing body hasn't followed their own words.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:02:20 pm »
That picture is gold Kebrel.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:03 pm »
I'll have to add this as another probable reason why MsBlack, ZeaLitY, and Lord J take issue with religion:

http://the-end.com/

Have a nice day!

JEEZUZKRYSTE

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Personal Text Has Been Inserted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:25:16 pm »
I hate religion because even if you try and follow the bible you'll still find yourself in position to go to hell.

I'd rather have a set of moral codes for me by set by myself and my experiances with other people then have to listen to some dude tell me how I should be nice when his very own governing body hasn't followed their own words.
But unless you have the kindest of hearts, how would you know what standards, morals, to set for your self?

JEEZUZKRYSTE

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Personal Text Has Been Inserted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »
"Great opposition has always existed among the major faiths of
Islam, Judaism and traditional Christianity. Oddly enough, all of
them sprang from the same roots.
Today, as in times past, great conflict exists between Judaism
and Islam even though both claim to worship the God of Abraham.
Most of these people also claim Abraham as their forefather. Much
conflict exists between Judaism and traditional Christianity, yet
both claim to worship the same God.
Why such confusion? If there is one God, then all of them cannot
be right. Who is right? As we go along, you will begin to see why
there has been so much religious confusion and disagreement.
Many ironies exist in the differences among these opposing
religions. One such irony that will have some impact on end-time
events concerns a growing movement, in recent years, that involves
a rather loosely held belief among Muslims that prophesies about
an end-time leader.
Much of the Islamic world is looking for a leader to come and
deliver them from the oppression of the outside world, especially
the United States and her allies—Israel in particular.
A prophesied “Mahdi” is to return to restore justice to the world.
This leader is to carry the name of Muhammad as part of his own,
but he will not be as great as Muhammad. This Mahdi is to appear
at a time of severe oppression, unite the Muslims, and bring peace
and justice to the world. Some Muslims believe this Mahdi, along
with the Prophet Jesus, who is also to appear at the end of time, will
lead believers to victory over the infidels.
If someone claimed to be this Mahdi, at a time when many in the
Muslim world increasingly believe they are being oppressed, then
the idea of a great jihad (holy war) would grow in popularity. A
movement is now underway that is focusing more and more upon
Osama Muhammad bin Laden as being that Mahdi"

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:47:49 pm »
I find the quote JEEZUZKRYSTE posted quite interesting. Burning Zeppelin, I think you're extremely knowledgeable on the topic of Islam -- I'd always thought that the Mahdi was a Shi'ite belief rather than a Sunnite belief; is that right?

Yet bin Laden is a Sunnite if I'm not mistaken. If the author of that end-times book has done the proper research to make the claim that there's lots of folks in the Muslim world who believe bin Laden is the Mahdi, does that imply Shi'ites would be willing to accept a Sunnite as this figure? And isn't the Mahdi the Hidden Imam, at least as Shi'ites see it?

Well, the end-times guy was right about the American economy at least; it sure is tanking. We don't even need to be hit by nukes to screw that up.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34:22 pm »