Author Topic: Sir Edmund Hillary Departs  (Read 353 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Sir Edmund Hillary Departs
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:46:06 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/01/10/edmund.hillary.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

He's out of here after a spectacular life and a long tenure of capitalizing on his mountaineering feat to accomplish tremendous humanitarian work for Nepal and inspire the world with his example.

Well, we knocked the bastard off!

While standing on top of Everest, I looked across the valley, towards the other great peak, Makalu, and mentally worked out a route about how it could be climbed… it showed me that, even though I was standing on top of the world, it wasn’t the end of everything for me, by any means. I was still looking beyond to other interesting challenges.

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals. The intense effort, the giving of everything you've got, is a very pleasant bonus.

Nobody climbs mountains for scientific reasons. Science is used to raise money for the expeditions, but you really climb for the hell of it.

In some ways I believe I epitomise the average New Zealander: I have modest abilities, I combine these with a good deal of determination, and I rather like to succeed.

I am a lucky man. I have had a dream and it has come true, and that is not a thing that happens often to men.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: Sir Edmund Hillary Departs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »
You can't feel bad for him. He lived his life to the full, and he died I assume a happy man.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Edmund Hillary Departs
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
Huh, I never knew he hailed from New Zealand. Earth's very own Toma Levine. Thanks for the quotes Zeality!