Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 12156 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: Atheism
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2008, 10:59:41 pm »
Hm, I'm not sure why religions are tax deductable. Maybe it is because the government doesn't fund religion, so they don't require taxes from them. The same reason why private schools need funding from the government, because they DO pay taxes. I dunno, I'm not an expert in the exciting world of tax.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:17 am »
"Be wary of strong drink, it can make you shoot to tax collectors, and miss"

I guess thats my point about church and taxes, priests would be "sinners" if they were to pay taxes, the wine and all that stuff, you know. (if any wrong words about the quote, I'm deeply sorry guys and girls)

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:47 pm »
I am not picking a side in this argument. But here's some food for thought.

IF God were a perfect being, as he is believed to be, then he could simply choose not to be discovered. Therefore, those believing in him would have no proof of him, and the sceptics would have no disproof of him. Therefore, religion and nonreligion are simply two different ways of looking at things. For neither have any solid proof that thier ideals are indeed correct.

One more thing. The universe is a very intracite thing. It has many laws and complications. Gravity, magnetism, friction, velocity, time. There is no definite explantions for how or when these came to be.

Now, just for a moment, let's compare the entire universe to an old-style pocketwatch. The watch has many small gears and cogs, all turning in sequence, causing the hands to move. All of these work together to make the watch functional. In order to make the watch work, careful intelligent planning was done on the part of the creator. If a single gear were misaligned, the whole machine could fail. If you were to take the materials used to create a pocketwatch, and tossed them into the air, it would be absurd to think that the pieces would simply "fall" into alignment and create a working watch. Therefore, is it not equally absurd to believe that a universe could just "happen" and its laws materialize out of nowhere?

It is impossible to dismiss religion until we know absoultely EVERYTHING there is to know about the universe.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:13 pm »
If we ever know 'everything there is to know about the universe', it will be impossible to tell we have reached such a stage.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2008, 06:45:03 pm »
I do hope that you all may forgive me for coming so late to the party. I have a busy weekend and an altogether splendid thread passes me by.

First, allow me to sidestep the question of the validity of Atheism for a moment and simply state that of course Atheism is illogical!

Yet it is also equally true that Theism is illogical; only Agnosticism is logical, for this particular question. As the entirety of the evidence on the matter is not yet known (being that a humblingly small amount of knowledge has been amassed by humans over the last 20,000 years, compared to the whole of the universe, and being that a good majority of that knowledge is almost assuredly incorrect), no definite solution can be reached. It is like trying to solve a mathematical equation while half the numbers and variables are missing!

It is not a bad thing to be illogical, mind you. After all, no single human (and possibly the species in general) is so long-lived as to have the luxury of waiting until we have all the necessary information before making a decision in this matter.

As for faith being illogical, again I will respond with: of course it is! It, however, is perfectly reasonable. Logic is strict, we cannot make leaps with it, yet reason can tell us that such a leap may be needed. If we define the question of the existence of a divine entity as an important issue, then we can not afford to be purely logical. To do so would be unreasonable.

Yet even at that, a fine point needs to be made. For the religious individual, faith may replace all logic and reason. However, it is also quite possible for faith to supplement these tools. In the latter case, it is somewhat inexact to call faith illogical or unreasonable; rather, it is used as an extra-logical tool. You may still object to its use, which is perfectly fine and good, but to do so you must address it as what it is; anything else is purely a straw man logical fallacy.

However, given that, if we dismiss religion because it is illogical then we must also dismiss atheism because it is illogical. Now you might claim that there is a difference in scales; the illogical nature of deciding in favor of atheism is far less than the illogical nature of deciding in favor of theism. That may be so, but then the question is not which reasoned and which is unreasoned, but merely which is the least unreasoned. Haven’t seen much of that, yet.

But speaking of logic and illogical things, I am most amused that some people have pointed out that religion does not conform to the scientific method or empirical evidence and have therefore concluded that it should be discarded. How terribly unreasonable of them!

The Scientific Method does not address the same questions that religion addresses, no more than it addresses the same questions that the Historical Method addresses. To discard religion simply because it does not lend itself to science makes as much sense as discarding the question of Julius Caesar’s motivations in the Gallic Wars because it too does not lend itself to this method. The humanities can, on occasion, make use of science, but they are not bound by it. If we discard religion since it does not address scientific concerns, we should also discard these humanities (as an interesting side note, the humanities are defined as those topics of study that are befitting a thinking human; science is curiously absent).

Just as the humanities can use the scientific method and empirical evidence at its whim without being subject to the tool, so too can we use these tools in the question of the existence of god while avoiding the nasty problem of being subject to it. That is to say, it is perfectly acceptable to point at particulars of science and empirical evidence to support one side or another, though neither is the final word on the matter. It is about the level of circumstantial evidence, at best.

So then, if science is against religion, I would be most curious as to hear how. Of course, this curiosity is asking rather much, as science might object to part of one religion while leaving three other religions untouched. But as others have been essentially operating as if Religion is the same as Christianity, for the sake of this debate, allow me to do the same for a moment.

I am not sure why but there are a good number of scientists and lay-Christians who believe that the bible and evolution are at odd with each other. As this seems to be the most public point of disagreement, allow me to address it briefly. Simply put, there is nothing in the bible that precludes evolution, and nothing in evolution that precludes the bible. The strict creationist would say that the bible claims that God created man from dust; this is true, the bible does so claim. However, it does not make mention of the means through which God did this creating. An artist creates a painting, an author creates a book, but none of this tells us how it is done. Why then might not God have used evolution as a tool for creating man? Now the “scientist” might object, saying that the methods of evolution are known and without a taint of divine intervention. This is a silly objection (though I hope not a straw man; if so I implore forgiveness and correction). If we postulate an almighty God that created the universe, it is a small matter for such a God to set up that universe in such a way as to produce a specific result (aka, evolution resulting in man). Of course, if we do not postulate an almighty God that created the universe, Evolution will not lead us to conclude that God. This is merely to show that in this particular case, one does not preclude the other. One can be an evolutionist and a Christian at the same time with no conflicts in doctrine. This is called Theistic Evolution, if you are not already familiar with it. Though it was developed specifically as a result of the short comings of Creationism (which I object to on linguistic grounds, among others) and Intelligent Design, it has roots that predate Evolution.

But as for the opposite, might science support religion? In particularity, no. The Theory of Gravity explains gravity, where might we find god in that? However, in generality, yes! That is, in so far as religion would have us expect the universe to behave in such-and-such a manner and science has shown that it does in fact behave in that manner, we may then claim that science has confirmed religion (in the same way that a repeated experience by confirm a hypothesis, though it does not necessitate that the hypothesis is ultimately correct).

Unfortunately again we are faced with science confirming expectations from some religions while not confirming expectations from other religions. So once again I will follow the standard established in the thread and devolve to the use of Christianity. As that religion describes it, we should expect God to be omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. God should also have no beginning and no end and should have a different perception of time than humans do. Finally, this God should be the ultimate creator of the universe. Therefore then we should ask, does the universe as science present it to us allow for such a god to exist?

If God is the creator of the universe, he would have to be outside the realm of time as we understand it (time being a function of our movement through space, which would be encompassed in the universe that such a god might have created). In other words, Christianity leads us to expect that God should have no beginning and no end and if[/if] a creator god were to exist, then our understanding of how time works would actually demand that such a god have no beginning and no end.

Additionally, how might such a god, existing in some unimaginable extra-temporal state, perceive that which is in time? As it is not limited by time, it should then perceive the whole of what we call “time,” analogous perhaps to how we might look at a historical timeline on paper. This coincides with the expectation of an omniscient god; such a god would know everything simple because such a god would be able to observe everything. Such a god would know the future because the future wasn’t in the future for such a god, but the present (or perhaps the past… such words are so clumsy for extra-temporal situations). Therefore, from what science knows about time, we may extrapolate that any being that exists outside of time would inherently be omniscient. The same is essentially true of the expectations of an omnipresent god; without space, there is no location just as there can be no time. Yet is something were to exist outside of a location (such as a gravitation singularity as a geometric point), it could be said to essentially exist everywhere. The limitations of space and location would not apply to it.

Of course, once again just because science does not discount the possibility of such a god and just because science confirms that Christian expectations of a god are not impossible according to our understanding of the universe, this only allows for their to be a possibility of a God; it does not necessitate it.

To move on from science to social science (in a continuing train of how different spheres of discipline may be applied to the issue but do not dominate that issue), it is rather curious that humans have a conception of god in the first place. Humans, after all, are animals of experience (or empirical evidence, if you prefer). It is said that we cannot truly imagine what an alien life-form would look like as we have no basis for that which is truly alien. Indeed, humans are a horribly unimaginative lot; at best we can make small leaps from the known into the unknown; there are no thoughts, no inventions, that have not been built on the ideas that came before it. Why then should we have made the leap to a god?

Did someone see thunder and think it a god? Why would he have questioned it in the first place? Perhaps I am wrong in this statement but to my knowledge there was never a god of gravity in any society, yet gravity would be just as mysterious to primitive man. In the same turn there were gods of fire, a force which is terribly easy for humans to control (comparatively). Yet there was never a god of motion or buoyancy but gods of roads and doorways. Humans didn’t just take that which we didn’t understand and make them gods, we made even that which we did understand and made them gods. Some unimaginable forces were defined, others were ignored, and some mundane concepts were defined… why? And, why should more than one people have imagined a god in the first place? There are distinct separations between Indo-European gods and American gods; they clearly did not come from the same mold and so logically were developed independently. As it makes no sense for any god to be postulated in the first place (unless there was experience, of course), why should numerous independent peoples of created an idea as beyond experience as the divine?

That humans created the divine independently from each other and with no logical reason does not necessitate that god exists for humans to have experienced, and thus to have incorporated, but it is also not what we should expect in the world; if there is no god, there should have been no conception of god.

To move from social science to history, there are two historical anomalies that I wish to draw your attention to: the bible itself and the Jews. By right, neither should exist today.

But to start, allow me to address the bible. It is a historical fact that there is no other historical text of a comparable age as the bible (well, I should say as the respective parts of the bible, as it was written over a rather long span of time) with anywhere near as many extant copies that were created so near the original’s date. Plato’s Symposium? We have less than twenty historical copies, none of which were created within 400 years of Plato’s life, and only a handful of which are complete in themselves (the others are mere fragment, hardly worth noting if historical evidence were not so rare). Even at that, if you read a good, scholarly translation of the Symposium you will find lacunas noted throughout it. Depending on the particular section of the bible, historians have anywhere from tens to hundreds (and in rare cases, nearly a thousand) of copies. Many of these copies were created within 400 years or significantly less of the original events (though there is some debate as to the exact dating of some texts, a liberal estimate is that some copies of parts of the bible were created as early as 40 years after the original events; a conservative estimate is closer to 200, for the exact same texts). The Symposium was quoted here and there by the great minds of human history. The bible was quoted by the early Church fathers so extensively that even if we did not have a single copy of the bible, it could be reconstructed in majority purely from surviving quotations! In short, we have more historical reason to believe that the bible is accurate and trustworthy than we have historical reason to believe the same of Plato’s Symposium (and let us not even mention Socrates, of whom there is no definitive record, or the Iliad).

Then there are the Jewish people themselves. For thousands of years they have survived. To give you some perspective, Germans are French, the French aren’t from France, the Romans were Tuscan, the Greeks invaded Greece, modern Egyptians are not related to the pyramids or the pharaohs, Russians are Mongols, Mongols are Chinese, etc. The Jews, a people of nearly no historical significance, outlived the Persians, the Greeks, and the Romans. They have been scattered and persecuted, yet they endure. Going from pure historical probability, they should have been wiped out several times over by now.

Historically speaking, there are elements in history that are not as we should expect if the universe were godless.

If there is no god in the universe, then the world is a terribly unusual place since it allows for one. Of course, merely allowing for something to exist does not necessitate its existence.

Now let us take this back to the beginning, to the question of if god exists (and thus, if atheism is a valid position). Atheism and theism are equally illogical, but as I have presented it there is more weight on the side of theism one the grounds of circumstantial evidence. Of course, there is also quite a bit that I have not presented. As I generally find opposing arguments against religion to be little more than intellectual quasimodos that I do not believe I am fit to bring forth those opposing arguments; I am afraid I would present them as straw men.

But now onto the supplemental questions as to if Religion is good or evil.

Ha, how unreasonable such a question is! The very question of ultimate good or evil is a religious question; to attempt to address it assuming that religion is evil is like attempting to argue that logic (as a system of perceiving the world) is illogical by using logic! What we call good and bad are inherently steeped in the assumption that there can be an authority higher than humanity and such assumptions are religious in nature. If there is a moral or ethical law established by humans then such a law can be discarded by humans. It is not absolute; at best it can be called useful or utilitarian.

Well then, let us rather ask: is Religion useful?

Unfortunately even that isn’t a complete question. A hammer may be very useful for driving a nail into a piece of wood, or bashing your opponent over the head when you get frustrated with their arguments, but it is utterly useless if one is trying go to the bathroom. So then, we must define what sort of usefulness we should expect of Religion (or any such structure). I would propose, then, that the use to which Religion should be put is the preservation and advancement of human civilization and individual societies.

The first part, that of preservation, is rather simple. To survive societies need a common; societies are not made up of strangers but fellow believers in whatever that society decides to believe in. Religion can serve this role just as well as anything else. For civilization, Christianity is a perfect example of religion preserving it. The knowledge, laws, and customs of the ancient world were preserved through the Church. The Church preserved the old perceived unity of the Roman Empire in a new form. Of course, European people living in 1200 C.E. thought they were living no different lives than European people living in 200 C.E., but that is beside the point.

So then, has Religion advanced society or civilization? I highly suspect that the advancements is theological discourse will be discarded out of hand by those who disagree with religion, therefore allow me to return to Christianity and note the wonders of monasticism (specifically the Irish brand of Monasticism). Irish Monasticism placed a high emphasis on learning as a means of approaching the divine. These monasteries gathered texts of any and all sort (not just religious texts) and preserved/propagated them. Come the advent of the moveable-type Printing Press (quite possibly the world’s greatest single invention), and after it got off the ground with printing grammar books and the Bible, it was the texts stored in Monasteries that fueled the enlightenment, which in turn led to the scientific revolution.

Now one might claim that the enlightenment and scientific revolution would have still happened regardless of the role religion played in it. Perhaps – when one gets into counterfactual historical arguments things get a bit tricky – but it is rather assured that IF these things still happened, then they would have been delayed by several centuries or millennia.

But what has religion done for us lately? Charity organizations aside, of course. And Hospitals. And basic laws.

Basic tenant of the modern western world is that everyone is equal, which is an inherently religious perspective. How is that a religious perspective? Quite simple; people are NOT equal, as even the simplest of observations will show. Some people are smarter than others, some are stronger, others are more physically appealing, and so on. Some people do not reason their decisions, others do. If we are left to the laws of nature, un-tempered by the urgings of religion, then we are left with survival of the fittest. If those who are stronger, or smarter, etc than us seize control of the government and use it to their benefit and the detriment of the rest, then that is right and proper.

No, we appeal to a superhuman criterion, that despite apparent inequalities there is a common virtue in each individual. Even if there is no creator, we choose to live in a world were we believe that all men are created equal.

Certainly, Religion has its uses.

But as I am sure a discussion of the use of religion will not satisfy, allow me to address a few concerns of religion being “evil.”

However, what is certain is that at least some of these deaths could have been avoided without religion. Generic person of religion A kills another person of religion B because they follow a different religion.

This statement assumes that deaths are generally bad. Alright, let us proceed on that basis.

I will whole heartedly agree that some deaths over the course of human history could have been prevented with a little less “religion.” Very true indeed. Yet it is also certain that there are a good many deaths in history that could have been avoided with a bit more religion. Take the Quakers during WWII; modern history is not my specialty but to my understanding no group did more (comparatively) to help refugees fleeing Nazi Germany than the Quakers did; if one there were more Quakers more people would have survived. Thus on one hand we have a black mark against religion, yet on the other we have a token of merit.

However, the same can be said for non-religion. Generic person of political persuasion A kills another person of political persuasion B because they follow a different political persuasion. To provide a real life example, the French Revolution. Atheism is new enough that examples are not as clear cut, but Communist China works well enough in this case.

You have a good point, but it applies to both sides. Thus, we may say that both sides are equally bad in allowing deaths to occur. So then, for the question of the validity of atheism as a position, and on the larger issues of religion v non-religion, it should be a question of which is comparatively better. Has religion caused more deaths than it has prevented (and the same for non-religion)? Unfortunately this is a sticky issue as we must separate instances in which religion actually caused a death (or prevented one) from ones in which it was only claimed.

The issue of Socrates’ death is actually quite apt; he was killed for totally non-religious reasons (he pissed off the wrong people). Religion was a second-hand excuse to maintain the veneer of legality; note, he was accused of corrupting the youth of Athens, supposed atheism is merely one how of that. That he was seen as a sophist was FAR worse than any ideas he may have held about the gods (and indeed, as his apology clearly indicates, he was not an atheist, nor did he hold to any belief that was opposed to the common beliefs of Athens). Sophists taught people rhetoric, which was just plain dishonest as far as the Greeks were concerned. That is what I mean by instances in which religion is only claimed to have caused a death.

Now, some readers will know that there is no such thing as a truly altruistic human act. And I'd agree. All our actions are to satisfy ourselves. We are all inherently selfish.

I must disagree with you here based not on religious views but humanistic ones. There are truly altruistic human acts; just because an altruistic act usually benefits the doer and the receiver does not make it any less altruistic. To claim so is an interesting case of the post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy. An action may be performed unselfishly; that there is gain to the actor is not necessarily related to the action. It is a happy benefit; though, of course, in some cases it can be the cause, it just needn’t be.

However, a person carrying out such an action with the ultimate aim of salvation (unless it's their last kind act before death) will inevitably need to carry out another act to fulfill their perceived quota to achieve it.

Two points; not everyone who is religious is interested in salvation. Buddists and Taoists, for example. Also, this is actually an internally debated Christian concept; salvation through grace or salvation through works. If there is salvation through grace, then works are not needed (and thus the person will have no perceived quota); yet in the same turn, salvation through grace should lead to good works, just as eating will lead to sustained living (as it were).

This is actually a good thing, as it should lead to the increase of good works in the world.

Submitting to such ideas leads to discrimination based on irrational beliefs. This is clearly not a good thing. Imagine two people apply for a job. One is Muslim and is the better qualified but botht he potential employer and the Muslim's competition are Christian. The Christian gets the job by virtue of the fact they are Christian. This, I'm sure you agree, is not desirable, and probably the only way to utterly stop such religious discrimination is to attack the problem at its root: religion itself.

The only way to stop religious discrimination is to attack the root, which you see as religion? By that logic, the only way to stop gender discrimination is to attack gender. As I am not sure how humanity would survive if we eliminate gender (seeing as heterosexual sex is the preferred method of human procreation), I would propose that the real root of both problems is discrimination, not religion. Discrimination is the common element in all forms of discrimination, which probably means that it is the problem. The particular circumstances aren’t particularly relevant.

Religion protects itself from logical criticism by being illogical. When every last argument of the religious type has been broken down and they are proverbially cornered, they produce their last resort, their trump card, their deus ex machina: faith. And while someone remains bullheaded, stubborn, unmovable in their faith, they cannot progress. Faith transcends logic only because it is inherently illogical.

Actually, no. I am sorry but I must be blunt in this matter. You have not seen religion backed into a corner, not ever, so you don’t know what its last argument might be. I can state this with the certainly of a fact as it is an extraordinary claim lacking proof. To back religion into a corner you would need to address every current religious apologetic work. The simple volume of this makes the statement impossible. You would have also needed to have debated with every religious individual on the planet. Therefore, I suspect that what you mean is that the last argument of a religious individual, when they are backed into a corner, is faith. That is reasonable and we can work from there.

What sort of religious person might be backed into a corner in this manner? More often than not, this is a lay-individual, someone who is religious but not focused in religion. To be fair, it is rather easy to back a lay-person into a corner over science (I suspect I could confuse most people on the street by merely asking them what mRNA is). I suspect then that your frustration is not so much over religion protecting itself from logical criticism by being illogical but rather specific individuals not having fully reasoned their belief.

If you want to see religion defend itself rather well, then you should turn to apologetics. In other words, when you want to address religion your best bet is to talk to a religious expert.

This is not to say that even the best apologetics will not include faith. But they will include logic and reason that you can accept (on a technical level, at least) as well. As mentioned above, for the learned religious individual, faith is used as an extra-logical tool. To expect it to be absent is, well, illogical of you.

Morality does not require a God or humans or this universe to exist. It is a concept any sentient mind can appreciate. It is this kind of mentality that lets parents think they can abuse their children because they "live under their roof" and they "created them".

Interesting that you are defining morality as something that transcends science yet also seem to be rebuking faith for transcending science. But regardless of that (as I do not think that was your intent, but perhaps I am wrong), Morality inherently requires something which is greater than human beings. If it is merely a law agreed upon by humans it can be discarded by humans; to be morally binding, morality must come from something greater than humanity.

Perhpas by definition, faith in science is only faith in a different sense of the term. Faith in science is faith in what is most likely, what has been demonstrated through rigorous testing and practical applications, what can be observed, described and recorded. The faith I talk of is belief based on no valid evidence. It is indeed pretty much "I believe because I believe," whereas the scientific faith is "I believe because of sound evidence."

No, scientific faith is “I believe because I believe I have sound evidence.” Science recognizes only one type of “fact,” that of the observation. The observation itself may be flawed, but it is a fact that it was observed. These observations are then used to support a hypothesis (though really it happens in reverse, unfortunately) which, if it stands up to peer review and rigorous testing may, MAY, be promoted to the realm of theory. Theory is still not a fact.

To be fair to science (and to make sure I am not misunderstood), a scientific theory is nearly as good as fact. It is as good as money in the bank, as it were. However, there is still that gap, albeit very small, between Truth and Theory. Science is willing to base theories on theories, building what could be (and, what Thomas Kuhn implied in The Structures of the Scientific Revolution, probably is) a house of cards. No offense intended to scientists, but historically speaking chances are we have it wrong yet again. We are getting good information from science, but there will undoubtedly come a time when problems arise with basic tenants and we’ll have a major paradigm shift. It has happened before so it will probably happen again. It is a tad arrogant to think otherwise.

Now to Lord J, though he (she?) clearly stated that he would not return to read responses. It is only proper to address some of the issues brought up by such an “evil” individual (his definition of the word, not mine).

My definition of evil is this: “Ignorance, or willful ignorance.”

As evil as a newborn babe, eh?

Curiously, that makes all of humanity evil without remorse. I highly suspect that you are ignorant of all of the laws contained in the Code of Aethelbert, King of Kent. Therefore, you are evil. If you do not go out and learn about these law codes, then you are willfully ignorant and all the more evil for it. I am ignorant as to your street address, thus I am evil. As no one, at any point, has ever been without some ignorance, everyone is always evil.

I am afraid your definition is simply too unreasonable and it must be rejected.

That by itself is extraordinary, but what catapults Krispin’s claim beyond all reason is the final stroke: Faith. As Krispin himself put it, the road to this most heavenly and supreme truth of truths is completely, altogether opposite to the system of scientific inquiry by which we have attained all other factual understanding of our universe.

Close but you fail in the details. It is not that the road to Truth is opposite to the system of scientific inquiry, but it is in addition to. You reject that addition, which may be all well and good for you to do, but it is not unreasonable for Krispin to do so. Rather, it is para-reasonable for him to do so. Scientific inquiry can take us in the direction of god  but there is a matter of an important gap that we must cross from theory to fact (science does not allow its theories to make such a crossing for the very reason that such a crossing is not merited, but not excluded, by logic). Faith bridges that gap. You may claim that such a gap is too large to bridge, but that says more about how you evaluate evidence than about the evidence itself.

We are a species that has only known civilization for a few thousand years.

I feel like I am in a Monty Python sketch. “I’m thirty-seven, I’m not old.” “It’s around twenty thousand years of civilization, that’s not a few.”

We ourselves have not changed at all, biologically.

Actually, we have. Modern advancements are actually speeding up evolution, as a larger population allows for more genetic variations to enter the species and a larger playing field for those variations to find an advantage niche. True, these aren’t major biological changes, but for one humans are genetically predisposed to longer lives now-a-days than in the past (which is actually a result of older men procreating with younger women).

He is an all-perfect father, yet failed to prevent the fall of his children and doomed them to live wretched lives until the Judgment. He is loving and compassionate, yet routinely inflicts eternal torture on his own creations. He is supreme, yet was thwarted in his intentions at Eden by the Devil. He is merciful, yet allowed his progeny to be caught up in a struggle far beyond their means to fight. He entrusted his holy message to a book overrun by factual errors and ancient politics.

This is a rather poor argument as you are essentially claiming that because you do not understand the basics of Christian doctrine, the Christian God must not exist. How does your lack of understanding effect reality one way or the other?

Did God fail to prevent the fall? There is an important difference between failing and allowing. Are the pains of this life not worth the joys? If so, let us exterminate ourselves and save future generations the suffering. Were his intentions thwarted in Eden by the Devil? If his intentions were free will, then there must be a chance of making a choice, and if there is that choice there must be a wrong answer; his intentions were proven out in the Garden of Eden, not thwarted. What struggle is there that is not the result of humanity and if all struggle is caused by humanity it can be fought by humanity (particularly as God made humanity part of the divine). He entrusted his holy message to a book that is a historical phenomenon; no other historical text has been preserved as well as the bible. As for factual errors, generally one finds these are more the fault of the reader than the text. All in all, the bible is an invaluable historical source that is happily used in academic circles as such. It is reliable and it is well preserved; the worst that can be said for it is that is has some odd stories mixed in.

It would do better to read, “What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without evaluation.”

It might do better, but the proposition must be rejected none the less. For one, it is asserted without proof ;)

But anywho, it takes us back to Descartes, back further really. Nothing can be asserted “with proof.” If you make an assertion, you must then provide proof, to which due diligence requires that we ask for proof in turn. Finally, we are back to “I think, therefore I am.” Actually, we are back further as you cannot offer proof that you think! Therefore, let us dismiss all things without evaluation or let us be less hasty in dismissing things without proof (and certainly be lest hasty to discard proof itself! That one finds something valid enough to be proof and another does not… this says nothing about the merits of the would-be-proof itself).

Religion, with its predication upon faith, is an institution of willful ignorance, which qualifies it as an evil. You may evaluate that for yourself.

I may evaluate that myself? Oh thank you, I will. False statement resulting from a false premise supported by a false definition of a word. How unreasonable of you ;)

Any atheist who acts against a religion is not doing so because they are an atheist

Not “because,” true. One does not cause the other. However, there are evangelical Atheists.

Not true. Those who followed a religion lived a lie, constraining their behavior, sacrificing their intellectual integrity, and quite probably influencing other people to similarly demean their own lives. That’s another flaw in Pascal’s Wager: It completely ignores the penalties that one pays in this life for being religious.

Pish posh, we can figure this one out economically. Let us say that when you die your net balance is zero. The individual who has “penalties” during their life, the religious fellow, at the end of the transaction will have a balance of zero; much was put in but there was no net result. The individual who has rewards during their life, the atheistic fellow, at the end of the transaction has a balance of zero as well. Your reasoning is rather illogical.

We should also not be surprised that, as religion has waned over the past century, that share has changed—now a great many of our finest people are nonreligious, or belong to alternative religions.

… this is just wrong on grounds of basic composition! You state that religion has waned and that the share of intellectuals between religion and non-religion has changed. You then claim that a great many of our finest people are nonreligious or belong to alternate religions. Alternate religions are still religions, so they should be counted in the first category, not that latter.

Anywho, blunders of sentence construction aside, the matter of religion is a non-issue for modern great thinkers. Can you tell me if the recently deceased Michael Grant was religious? What of James Watson (though I certainly hope he is non-religious, I’d much rather not have him on the side of religion)?

There are a few that you can easily tell their religious views. Richard Dawkins is a rabid atheist of the worst sort and Francis Collins is religious (due, specifically, to his work in science).

Or perhaps you just meant that modern great thinkers no longer have to be in a specifically religious context?

Regardless of specifics, however, it is only to be expected that modern thinkers will seem great; if today we see farther than those who came before us, it is because we are standing on the shoulders of giants. But give things a good 200 years and let us see what history says of the matter.

Oh boy, this is the kind of blatant historical revisionism that can only be refuted through exhaustive documentation. Fortunately, I would fall back to that earlier quotation we discussed: That which is asserted without proof can be dismissed without evaluation.

Oh good, I was afraid I’d have to actually address the assertion you made without proof. ;)

But I am afraid this is where I must label you evil, by your own definition of the word. Krispin is quite right and you are as wrong as putting ranch dressing on a peanut butter and chocolate pie.

The fall of the Roman Empire directly caused the Middle Ages in Europe and the fall of the Roman Empire was primarily due to extensive wars, natural disasters, political infighting, and migration. The Christian Church is the body responsible for the preservation of order and older ideas. This isn’t revisionism, this is accepted history. Read a history book! To list all the historical documentation supporting Krispin’s statement would just be silly, as it would seem strikingly similar to a library index on the Fall of the Roman Empire! Arthur E.R. Boak, A.A. Vasiliev, Ramsay MacMullen, Brian Tierney, Arther Ferrill, Michael Grant, Donald Dudley, J.G.C. Anderson; to name all the historians that have written about that topic and who would disagree would bare striking resemblance to the Classicist/Medievalist roster of the American Historical Society!

As an aside, however, I should note that there is nothing wrong with some degree of revisionism in history. A history text tells us two things; it tells us about the events that the text describes and it tells us about the society in which the text was written. History books written before the women’s right movement do not mention the role women played in history. History books written after this do. Of course, this is getting into the realm of historiography.

I will say, simply, that “naïve” is to speak of the war, famine, mass migrations, pestilence political fragmentation, feudalism, economic stagnation, and technological decay that gripped Europe for a thousand years, and suggest that the mighty Christian religion had no part in any of it

Perhaps I am quite wrong in this matter, but it appeared that the claim was that Christianity didn’t cause it. There is a difference between being a cause of something and being part of something.

So of course Christianity had a part. The Pope was using church money to buy grain to feed the starving, regardless of their faith. Monasteries were protecting ancient texts, preserving them, and refining them. When there was pestilence there were priests, nuns, and monks to tend to the sick. It was Christianity that helped maintain the productivity of otherwise barren farmland. It was Christianity that provided for the elderly in their waning years. It was Christianity that protected the people from overreaching political ambition. It was Christianity that spread laws and order.

I must confess, I am a Medievalist at heart so please do keep that in mind if you read the following. There was stagnation in the Middle Ages, true. You get to thank the Romans and Greeks for most of that. Guilds have their origin in Diocletian, feudalism was based around outposts of Roman aristocracy, and if the Middle Ages did not make impressive advancements of knowledge, it is because they had one critically false belief: they thought that classical texts were authoritative. People believed in the Ptolemaic universe because a Greek said it, first and foremost!

Christianity was not utterly innocent in the Middle Ages, true, and there are historical arguments that propose that Christianity helped destabilize the Roman Empire, but it was not the cause or even the death blow. A very basic text of this is The Fall of the Roman Empire, if you so need more evidence that I have presented here.

Before I end my post, allow me to clearly state my stance, as after so long a post it is easy to loose a point (even assuming that the points are well-made in the first place, which I will not assume): 1) atheism is an illogical stance, but it is unreasonable to fault it for being illogical. 2) The universe as described by human understanding, in all its parts, does not preclude the possibility of god. 3) Indeed, the universe as described by human understanding does not concern itself with god. 4) despite that, the universe behaves in such a manner as to satisfy our expectations of a god. 5) Religion is not a uniform force in the world; it is often good but it can be bad as well, but such a criteria is poorly suited to address the question of if religion is true or not.

Anywho, that really is more than enough from me for now. I tried to keep things short, but I seem to have failed rather miserably in that matter. It has been rather difficult to keep 5ish pages of posts in mind while writing mine, so please forgive me if I have addressed something that is now a moot point.

EDIT: Side note; there are various reasons why religious organizations are tax exempt but an interesting thing to consider is that, in America at least, the government can make no laws concerning an establishment of religion. Tax laws are still laws, so technically speaking they shouldn't apply to churches (or anything else that floats ;) )

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2008, 08:43:39 pm »
Though we differ in a few areas, this man is a man of reason. One of the things we both agree on is that, while the proof behind atheism may deny the usefulness of God, it doesn't deny the existence of God. Meaning, just because evolution, from our perspective, did not need a God to begin, or because the Universe did not need a God to explode into place, does not mean that God does not exist, or did not cause those. If you were God, would you just want people to believe in you because you saw him, or would you rather want people to believe in your through trials and tribulations, through reason and wonder, and through research and even a bit of doubt?

I realized what the great evil of the 21st century is. Culture. My parents wariness of Western Society in comparison to Bengali Culture lead to me being caught between them both. I am disgusted with both. Religion had no part in it, and when it does, it is not religion in purity. It is either religion tainted by culture, or religion as a means to a cultural end. How many crimes have been committed in the name, or because of your culture? Killing baby girls has nothing to do with religion, in fact, it was one of the things prohibited by major religions - it's got to do with the society you live in. But of course, culture can not be destroyed, because we love cultural food and cultural art and cultural literature and cultural everything. But it must be destroyed...

Well, no it doesn't. It doesn't have to be weeded out through citizenship tests and "assimilation programs". Why did I come to this dire conclusion? It will be destroyed if globalization is continued at the mass rate we are experiencing now. It's cultural isolation vs. increased economic prosperity. Which made me think, the only problem with cultures is if the mix! If everyone was one culture, there'd be no cultural misgivings and war, but it'd be a very boring place. Same with religion.

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »
4) despite that, the universe behaves in such a manner as to satisfy our expectations of a god.

Of the five points you made, this is the one I have the most trouble with.

In support of your position you argue that our current knowledge of science coincides with the Christian perception of God as "omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent". I would argue that you have it exactly backwards: the Christian perception of God is colored by our current knowledge of science.

For an example I turn to the story of Noah's Ark. At the conclusion of the story we see God admitting that he made a mistake in flooding the Earth, and promising to never do so again. This is hardly what I would call an all-knowing being that exists outside the flow of time; indeed, it suggests that, at the time Genesis was written, it was believed that God experiences time just as humanity does!

I wish I had more examples, but alas my knowledge of history is little better than that of a layman. I am certainly open to examples to the contrary.

You then move to social science and history examples that you claim further support your point. I will accept that these examples are unusual, and perhaps inexplicable with current knowledge. (Certainly I could not provide an explanation!) But this is the worst possible time to bring a supreme being into the discussion, as it invites us to just turn our brains off rather than digging deeper in an effort to advance human understanding. To me, this makes this line of thinking unreasonable as well as illogical.

Furthermore, the hypothesis that "God could have done it" does not provide an answer, but instead only changes the question to "How and why did He do it this way?" rather than simply "How and why did it happen this way?" And I believe that, when deeper inquiry is made, the understanding gained will in no way require the presence of a creator.

As an example of this I turn to the concept of "irreducible complexity" that Intelligent Design proponents love to use as evidence of a creator. One commonly cited example of a system argued to be irreducibly complex is the human eye. As ID proponents explain, the eye is made up of an unusually large number of parts that are strongly dependent on one another to function; this suggests to them that the eye could not have come about via evolutionary processes. Of course, scientific research has shown that the human eye very well could have evolved. This understanding would not have come about under the principles of Intelligent Design.

To your credit, you readily and often admit that evidence that a supreme being could exist does not mean that a supreme being does in fact exist. However, I do not believe that the examples you have provided contain any new evidence of a supreme being, but is instead the same line of thinking that almost every religious discussion I have been a part of has come down to.

If I were God, why would I care if humans believed in me? And how do you know that God indeed cares if humans believe in him?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2008, 09:12:54 pm »
I am not picking a side in this argument. But here's some food for thought.

IF God were a perfect being, as he is believed to be, then he could simply choose not to be discovered. Therefore, those believing in him would have no proof of him, and the sceptics would have no disproof of him. Therefore, religion and nonreligion are simply two different ways of looking at things. For neither have any solid proof that thier ideals are indeed correct.

One more thing. The universe is a very intracite thing. It has many laws and complications. Gravity, magnetism, friction, velocity, time. There is no definite explantions for how or when these came to be.

Now, just for a moment, let's compare the entire universe to an old-style pocketwatch. The watch has many small gears and cogs, all turning in sequence, causing the hands to move. All of these work together to make the watch functional. In order to make the watch work, careful intelligent planning was done on the part of the creator. If a single gear were misaligned, the whole machine could fail. If you were to take the materials used to create a pocketwatch, and tossed them into the air, it would be absurd to think that the pieces would simply "fall" into alignment and create a working watch. Therefore, is it not equally absurd to believe that a universe could just "happen" and its laws materialize out of nowhere?

It is impossible to dismiss religion until we know absoultely EVERYTHING there is to know about the universe.

(NOTE BEFORE READINGS THIS: I wrote this in the time that Thought wrote his own reply. In reading his, I think he says things with more detail and deft and convincing argument than I do, in particular regarding the matters of religion. It is well advised to read what he wrote. Nonetheless, here is my concept of things, though I think I am speaking less to the issues and more to the manner of them being addressed. And of all of those who have addressed things, I do think Thought has done so in the best manner.)

Realistically it's impossible to know everything, but you can assume for matters of example that it is possible. But omniscience still can't prove or dismiss religion. Again, it'll only speak about things aposteriori, and if we're philosophers also tell us about the mechanisms of our thought. But it still can't say anything about God (I'll amend what I said a second ago, it might say something about religion, because religion has an inherent grounding in the world.)

And actually, (in regards to your irreducible complexity argument) though it's unlikely in some way that things can just happen to have worked out in the way they did... hmm... it's kind of like this (and here I'm playing the Devil's advocate)... if it were otherwise, if say gravity and all were different, or something such as that, then we couldn't perceive it as different, and as such things being the way they are aren't exactly any more or less probable than being otherwise. Sort of like in a poker game, you get a hand of cards. Well, it might be unlikely that you get a certain hand of cards (say, double aces in hand), but, well, you had to get something, right? Hmm.... it's kind of tough to bring this across.

I don't think the complexity and order of the universe can be used as a guiding point, per say. It's only ordered so far as we perceive it, and being a part of that order would make it impossible to perceive it as anything but. I'm not sure if order, in that things seem to have been put into place, can be used to extrapolate anything. Actually, what it seems like is for people or perceiving creatures to exist at all a certain equilibrium in entropy must exist (at least for a time), and as such our very being necessitates things being placed together in a certain way. We cannot exist without it, basically. But it doesn't mean those things have to necessarily be placed together themselves. It could just be random chance.

See, and I'm not bringing this across well, but random chance viewed inward out can be viewed as miraculous. If you were to come down with a disease that has a one in a million chance of occurring, you'd think yourself rather unlucky and all that. You would wonder why you were singled out, and all such thing, because you're viewing it in from you compared to the rest. But if you look at it impartially, someone had to get it. Because it's you or someone else doesn't really matter impartially. So even if there were a billion to one chance that things happened the way they did, still if there are a billion chances it's bound to happen... and who knows, maybe it might even happen on the first chance (that's the problem with probability, sometimes it's 'defied.')

Okay, this isn't working out well, but basically... okay, though things are really ordered and precise in the world, it is actually very likely that things would work out like that, even if the odds are long. If there were chaos that would destroy the physical ordering of the world, that sort of universe would cease to exist, and would not be observed. Let us assume multiple dimensions with all possible outcomes... only those universes in which things stabilized into order would be observed by sentient beings. Naturally the universe would seem extremely ordered, but it might just be those worlds they are in are one in a trillion in matter of possibilities. But they still must be. Just because you might exist in a longshot universe doesn't mean it's been specifically made this way... you might just be lucky. Because someone has to be. And maybe someone in another universe is far luckier. Heh. I guess it’s the infinite monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters solution to the matter. We just happen to live one of those pages that made sense.

NOW, SOMETHING ELSE...

Those sorts of reasons are why we can't be applying the evidence type arguments either for or against God. Note, however, we have two discussions going on here. We have the ethical and social 'religion' argument, the ethics of belief and nonbelief, how they persist and impact society (which, as far as I've seen, most have latched onto), and which to some extent are easier to do but harder to prove because, most often, they rely on opinion, and not uncommonly, prejudice and ignorance on both sides.

That's only natural, people can't know everything, and often have to make judgement calls. Making a negative one about people is often called prejudice. However, to some extent, you have to understand that such judgement calls about things we know incompletely are necessary as humans, because it is impossible to know everything. So you have religious people right away considering atheists terrible people, destroyers of society, and such, because a lack of a moral absolute does seem to point to lead to a decline in social order (whether it does or not, there is rationale in such thinking; if there is error, it's because there are more factors than are accounted for); on the same grounds, atheists often consider religious people irrational, destroyers of progress, and so on. Again, there is reasonable ground in saying so, because belief in something beyond proof does allow for the possibility of belief in ANYTHING. But just like with the reverse group, it is not allowing for error on one’s own part, and in fact it doesn’t pan out in fact because there are more facets to the matter than atheists typically notice. Just because atheism can lead to moral decline, doesn’t mean it must; and just because religion can brainwash, doesn’t mean it does. To say either is an extrapolation that leads to undue prejudice.

This is why such religious arguments are tough and, most often, end up being shouting matches. The only way they can really be done is by mutual respect. You can be diametrically, absolutely, opposed, but you must keep an open mind... not that the other person need change your view, but to be able to find some good in what the other person says. I find that in short supply, in both religious people and atheists often. Religious might take arrogant pride in their religion, it's true, but in a not dissimilar way atheists take pride in 'enlightenment' whilst arrogantly holding it over those they perceive as lesser for their delusions. It is born of the exact same mode of thought, and it is that, more than anything, that leads to fanatic thinking, in both the religious and non-religious alike. The religious person who says ‘you’re a terrible, deluded, person because you don’t believe what I do’ is no different than the atheist who says ‘you’re a terrible, deluded, person because you have faith in something I don’t.’

That said, I don't advocate tolerance. Absolutely never tolerance. It is the most idiotic and insidious concept in the world. Because when you tolerate someone, you just have to put on a face. You can't tread on toes, you can't say anything or disagree, and just internalize frustrations with an opposed party. You end up getting more an more annoyed till it becomes hatred, and eventually that hatred snaps into something worse. That is the result of tolerance, and it's only a small bit better than outright prejudice and bigotry, only better in that it's not seen at once but rather takes time to germinate it's hatred. Anyway, what I always advocate is respect. And that's something in short reply. Respect means you can disagree. Heck, you can even make racial remarks (I have nothing against people using the term 'Kraut' or making fun of the Germans being warmongers, for example, or the Canadians saying 'eh' or being idiotically 'nice' (nb. the Americans, from what I've seen, are actually a nicer lot; Canadians just have an inferiority complex that masquerades as being 'nice.')) You let out your frustrations with another party, and allow them reply, and work under the assumption that you may be wrong. As long as someone doesn’t go on a tirade, even if I disagree, I can respect people of any faith, creed, or belief. I tend to have an affinity for the religious (nonetheless the teacher I most respect is an atheist), but that is a bias in myself that I am well aware of, and sometimes the greatest part of being human is not overcoming those flaws that make us who we are, it is understanding them (nb. That often people will talk of biases in ancient accounts, such as the propaganda of Egyptian kings and what not. Yet the bias through which they talk tells us far more about their humanity than a simple, dry, fact account would.) To tell the story of a perfect hero doesn’t have the same effect as telling of the fall of someone through either imperfection or the variance of chance. Anyway, what I’m saying is, let’s just show some respect here. Now, that goes for the atheists, too. Just because they think they have all the answers and know the way to Truth doesn’t mean they have to be arrogant. As I said, I don’t want people to have to be careful about treading on toes, but to harshly arraign someone in inquisitorial fashion is hardly showing them respect, nor is calling the beliefs of others a delusion. If you truly believe that, prove it. Show it, step by step (which, I must say, has not been done other than to cite a whole bunch of historical examples that are as much socio-political as they are religious.) And don’t just think you have... it might be more complicated than you’ve allowed for. Assume that you don’t know everything about the matter in question, and that you can never make an entirely certain judgement. Allow for the chance that you are wrong and recognize and admit error. This is the nature of respect, which has allowed for any interaction between races and creeds. Condemning others as delusional and all for their beliefs is the harbinger of the same biases that caused crusader atrocities, the later actions of the inquisition, and all the actions that we condemn for their fanatic cause. Respect, in contrast, is what the great leaders and thinkers of different peoples had. And just because you believe your cause to be more enlightened doesn’t vindicate you. Remember, that’s been the battle cry of every religious militia through the ages.

The second argument that’s going on is the one I’d originally intended, and that’s the metaphysical one (though that’s probably a bit of a misnomer.) The one where we’re trying to view the belief in God from purely philosophical constructs, apart from religion, and as such apart from ethics, societal, and historical points. This means you have to put a lot of your own views and opinions aside which, I’ve noticed, very few are willing to do on either side. Lord J has, as is his wont, arraigned religion rather harshly. But his foray into the metaphysical left a lot to be desired, as he couldn’t say anything but that belief in an omnipotent God is irrational, without providing much in the way of logical, non-biased, reasons (and note that in such a discussions evidence based on ethics and human interaction are inadmissible.) The religious have countered with their views on the matter, but again, it becomes a matter of trying to piece together historical, social, and ethical evidence which is, at all points, quite necessarily tainted with bias. Note, this goes for both side. I have seen prejudice from both side, though in this particular thread the greatest vehemence has come from the atheists who categorically deny any rationale for belief. That stance may be grounded, but it requires more than generalities to make it solid, and arguments such as ‘religion is insidious because it is mind control’ can quite easily be dismissed on the grounds that any sort of system, be it the most basic concept of civilization and the order of scientific learning is mind control, because it orders us to think in certain ways. And I’d be inclined to add that the concepts we hold scientifically as immutable, such as space in time, are in fact peculiarities to the human mind which, in objective view, doesn’t have the same meaning as we hold it to. If we are to argue about things of metaphysical natures we can hardly bring the physical into it. Of course, it is impossible to understand the nouminal concepts, but certain things can be ascertained (for example, the existence of the concept of God, which is as necessary as the existence of the concept of white to have the shade grey. White needn’t exist, but the possibility must be there.) This is the form of what I was trying to argue with my first post which seems to have derailed for the most part, though some have spoken in regards to that.

The point with this second (albeit primary) argument was that I was taking no side, religiously or anti-religiously. I merely proposed the hypothesis the purely philosophically the only viable stance one can have is that of an agnostic (as Thought has said.) Interestingly, the atheists immediately countered with a view that professed knowledge of something unknowable, and as such illogical. It was, in fact, my intent to show that to make such a knowledge claim is, from purely philosophical grounds, impossible... that is, either religiously or anti-religiously. But the replies showed to me an interesting trend: that the supposed ‘scientific’ claimed to know the chance of God being ‘remote’... a comment that is, logically speaking, irrational because it is impossible to say.

This makes the situation difficult. See, people who believe in the existence of God claim their belief to be entirely based on Faith, which is apart from evidence. People who do not say they base their world view on what they see and touch and sense (ie. Evidence.) Both are admissible, or at least unprovable, in their categories. However, there is a gross breach in creed for any scientist to claim that they can know something which, by the very nature of their science, they cannot. It is, in fact, more reasonable for a person to say ‘I believe in God’ than for a scientist to say ‘it is scientifically unlikely that God exists.’ That is merely logic, and to dispute that is to take issue with logic because it doesn’t fit one’s world view... and that is hardly rational. So do you see the difficulty in making such a claim?

So, the irony I see with what has occurred is that the most illogical replies have, in fact, come from the atheists. At least the religious are saying ‘well, we believe this beyond reason; we don’t have evidence to believe this, but are relying on faith’, so they know their limitations: what they can rightly make knowledge claims about via reason. But the atheist have been saying they can know things about something unknowable (going so far as to say the chance of the existence of God is trivial, which is an entirely unwarranted statement, as it’s impossible to prove), thus making mistaken knowledge claims. If the religious have been speaking about something in ignorance, at least they’ve not been logically wrong, as the atheists have been. (Nb. This is separate from the religious-ethical or religious-social comments made, which cannot be refuted my such philosophical thinking.) This is disheartening, as I thought they would understand their minds well enough to know what they can make claim to, and what they can’t. See, in stretching science to that an extent, saying it can say and do more than it rightly, logically, can, it is turning it into a sort of religious entity - it has taken on more meaning than it should, and become a catch-all to solve everything, a panacea of sorts in which people can take comfort and solace. I’m not saying this vindictively, nor even biased, as I’m very much a scientist and student of knowledge myself. But the limits of a given field must be understood for it to be properly utilized and studied. To consider it unlimited in giving knowledge is, in some way, propagating a mythos around it that is not unlike that which surrounds religion. At least religion is inherently based in something unknowable; to pervert science in that way is far more frightening. Yes, science (that is, empirical science) can tell us a lot. But it doesn’t avail us in metaphysics.

Conversely, you don’t want faith claims making their way into empirical judgements. That is the mistake religious people have often made, and it is one of the unfortunate side-effects of believing in something unknowable that does tend to occur. It can be misused all too easily. But, I must point out, anything, including science, can be misused. Democracy has been misused from the very start. The cry of freedom spoken by the lips of the most vicious partisans to advocate merciless killing. Science, to spur eugenics and vile researches. Ambition, to rise to power the likes of Caesar. History, to change the hearts and views of a populace by way of propaganda. True enough, it might seem easier with religion, as its inherent nature makes it unsensible (that is, unperceived by the senses), but we must remember that even those things we take to be ‘hard’ facts are often not as reliable as we take them to be. Scientific truths are taught to us that are not self-evident. How many of you have proved the age of the universe? The size of the sun? Evolution? These things appear to us reasonable, but recall that to the ancients things appeared reasonable that to us are absurd. How do you know we have a monopoly in truth, and that what is to come may not utterly shake our understanding? Indeed, this is why the study of metaphysics is needed, because what it shows is that even what is perceived by the sense, what we glean via science, is in fact only a representation via our mind’s categories of understanding. Time doesn’t have meaning apart from something that perceives time; likewise space not as we understand it to be. It is impossible for you to prove to me that a force of gravity exists, and that it isn’t just an effect in itself (Berkeley’s criticism of the materialist Descartes: why do you require some ‘invisible force’ to believe in to effect the change? Why not only have a causal effect? That is, when you drop something, it falls. Why an extra redundant force? It is only helpful in giving future predictions in similar circumstances, but doesn’t provide us with truth, per say.) Kant would go further. Causality itself is a necessary category by which we perceive things, but doesn’t have objective reality (note he was very upset with people who considered what he said to mean that everything was an illusion, which is certainly not his concept.)

I think a good test of how one believes what they believe was what I did: throw out the philosophical idea that something like causality is in fact just a mode by which we perceive things. That is a perfectly valid claim to make (and if it is wrong, can be reasonably disproven via cool logical progression), as Kant, an eminent (and still highly regarded philosopher - in the view of my atheist philosophy prof still unmatched) thinker. The form of replies was a good gauge on the way one views things. I must point out, specifically to Lord J, that your reply was very inordinate, and shows me your thinking does not follow rationally. How else to explain this, that when I make a statement that is born from a logical philosopher’s mind I am leaped upon, an Achilles to a Hektor, as though propounding claims of faith? The method and mindset applied was in no means that of a scientist, but one wishing to defend their world view and ideology, bitterly, in the face of any opposition, no matter how logical. Now let me ask, does that not sound like the reply of someone you would call religious? And this is the difficulty I have run into. I think Radical Dreamer was the nearest in replying to what I had said as I had intended, and for that I have thanked him.

Now, in quite return, a comment upon the religious grounds of the matter. Just a thought to consider. Both the religious and the atheist hold many opposing views, though not all of them diametrically opposed (as, in certain issues, I would be inclined to agree with the ‘opposing’ camp, rather than what is typically expected of mine.) That said, I would ask those who claim religion for being a method of oppression and our modern minds ones of enlightened freedom to consider something. And for this I’ll need an example. Take... slavery, there is a good one. It lies outside of religion and instead is in a social context, but it serves my purpose as an example. We consider slavery an evil; in the ancient world, it was considered a good by most. Slaves, of course, had no right. Why should they? They weren’t truly human, it was said. Anyway, so we have become more enlightened. Why? And this is the question I pose: what makes our stance on slavery nowadays more right and enlightened? Where in the evidence is this so? You cannot concede to say that something free is better than something not free by nature of that alone, for the term ‘better’ necessitates a scale which allows for the possibility of ‘best.’ And, if you admit that non-relative scale, an absolute in which there are certain things good and evil (that is, evil and good are not relative, but only that the things we perceive as good and evil might not be so clear as they seem, but nonetheless there are some absolutes), does that not necessitate the possibility that there is something absolutely good (note possibility, not proof. I’m Kantian now, not Cartesian.) I know what Lord J will say on this one, or at least the latter. There is nothing by nature good or evil, things are merely for utility. Yet still, in such a view, you cannot rightly take a stance on anything that is not in self interest. Anyway, I guess the question is, since purely scientific matters do not bar against humanitarian injustices, what is the precedent for such things, what standard is it that we are applying things to? And if that standard is nothing hard, nothing by evidence, what makes this more secure than anything faith based? Just a thought. I am curious to see the response to this.

Oh, and Faust Wulf, nah, I'm actually not able to enlighten you on those Kantian matters. I'm speaking from very basic knowledge - some day I’ll know better. To be honest, I'm a good listener in class. I've actually still not finished the Prolegomena, though I really should get to it, heh. When I finish I'll answer those questions.

And before I get a host of replies to this, note that I’ve taken a strong middle stance, for some part at least. Understand that I’m very religious and far more dogmatic than the majority of people that you’re likely to meet (didn’t bring any of the dogma into this, though), but all the same I’ve even been able to reasonably play the devil’s advocate for a bit. Hopefully this can serve as a bit of an example for other hot heads. I have, however, on seeing the replies of the atheists, returned to my original ideas, because I think what has been said by them has strongly validated my thesis that their atheistic belief is, rather than being based on what I consider the true and pure causes for such a belief, instead is founded in irrational concepts.

Quote from: Luminaire
For an example I turn to the story of Noah's Ark. At the conclusion of the story we see God admitting that he made a mistake in flooding the Earth, and promising to never do so again. This is hardly what I would call an all-knowing being that exists outside the flow of time; indeed, it suggests that, at the time Genesis was written, it was believed that God experiences time just as humanity does!

I wish I had more examples, but alas my knowledge of history is little better than that of a layman. I am certainly open to examples to the contrary.

You then move to social science and history examples that you claim further support your point. I will accept that these examples are unusual, and perhaps inexplicable with current knowledge. (Certainly I could not provide an explanation!) But this is the worst possible time to bring a supreme being into the discussion, as it invites us to just turn our brains off rather than digging deeper in an effort to advance human understanding. To me, this makes this line of thinking unreasonable as well as illogical.

Furthermore, the hypothesis that "God could have done it" does not provide an answer, but instead only changes the question to "How and why did He do it this way?" rather than simply "How and why did it happen this way?" And I believe that, when deeper inquiry is made, the understanding gained will in no way require the presence of a creator.

As an example of this I turn to the concept of "irreducible complexity" that Intelligent Design proponents love to use as evidence of a creator. One commonly cited example of a system argued to be irreducibly complex is the human eye. As ID proponents explain, the eye is made up of an unusually large number of parts that are strongly dependent on one another to function; this suggests to them that the eye could not have come about via evolutionary processes. Of course, scientific research has shown that the human eye very well could have evolved. This understanding would not have come about under the principles of Intelligent Design.

To your credit, you readily and often admit that evidence that a supreme being could exist does not mean that a supreme being does in fact exist. However, I do not believe that the examples you have provided contain any new evidence of a supreme being, but is instead the same line of thinking that almost every religious discussion I have been a part of has come down to.

To be exact with the story of Noah, I do not think a mistake is admitted, only that the same thing will never be done again. That is saying that it will not be neccessary in the same way. Anyway, yes, there is a slight difference in the perception of God. That is because the Bible is literature. It is not a philosophical treatise. It is not very often literal. Representation in literature differs from concept. My opinion on the matter is that yes, the ancients did have a difference in conception, but that doesn't make the entire thing flawed. Just because the ancients read Homer differently than we do (assuming him to be one man; assuming there to have actually been a Homeric age) doesn't mean we stop reading and learning from the Iliad. See, and I say this now from my own background, Biblical consistency is, as with many ancient works (as students of such literature will be familiar with) not a matter of literal or exact consistency, but more thematic (and sometimes not even that.) For example, when Euripides wrote Andromache, he conceived of an entirely different Menelaos from that in Helen. In the former, a jerk and boisterous fool; in the latter, a heroic gentleman. Yet despite the differences, each has something to tell us (though maybe not much, heh, Andromache isn't exactly the best of tragedies.) The point is, it is a mistake to look through the Bible and point out perceived inconsistencies as though one were reading through a legal document. That's just not it's form, and if one does that they're definitely going to find such things. Even in the historical segments (that is, Kings and Chronicles)... it is widely known that one is more 'court' documents and the other from a more religious viewpoint. And, as when reading anything, context is absolute key. Yes, of course, the ancients had a different idea of God. But that shows to us our relative ignorance of things (and why we shouldn't read the Bible like some legal treatise), but doesn't annul it's value. Heck, even to an avowed atheist Psalms and Job should provide interest, if not inspiriation... just like I glean a lot of inspiration from Greek works, but don't at all believe in Zeus or Athene.

They hypothesis 'how and why did He do it this way' and 'How and why did it happen this way?' are two entirely different questions. The latter is a question of mere causality. The former a teleological question (one of purpose.) Actually, 'why' alone belongs to the former; 'how' alone to the latter. Unless you're saying 'why' as purely causal. The problem with Aristotle is that he was very much teleological. The one who actually spelled the death to such 'why' thinking about things is the devout Catholic Descartes, who understood that this would bring us nothing in scientific understanding.

However, you ask the entirely wrong question when you're looking for 'evidence' of God. That simply cannot be done, and to ask the question is inherently illogical. The Christian view, of course, has Jesus being in the world, which I suppose leaves it open to such sort of attack, but even there it's skirted with the 'true Man' issue.

Though, as far as evidence of things beyond science, I do have one question for everyone, and it ties into that Hamlet quote 'there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in our philosophy.' What about paranormal things? I mean, I don't like to believe in things like that, but sometimes you can't help but wonder. Remote viewers? The police use those people. Heck, there are some things like that that science simply cannot explain. And to say 'oh, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation' is a copout, because it's assuming an end. You can't assume that... where is the evidence there? I know a lot of things like that can be simply chalked up to silly tricks and illusions of the mind (my friend trying to tell me about this weird electro-photographic picture of his hand that was taken and how the psychic read his personality... didn't exactly buy that one, heh.) And I've never ever had any kind of experience myself. But I don't know, is it viable to just dismiss things because they don't jive with the rationale we have? I guess it's not saying anything about God, but what about stuff like that? I know you can say 'I don't believe in that', but is that a belief born out of knowledge, or just not wanting to believe it because it conflicts with your 'rational' belief systems? I don't know (like I said, I have a strong aversion to things like that, so I usually have a very tough time taking anything like that at face value.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:32:45 pm by Daniel Krispin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2008, 09:54:18 pm »
The stuff I was referring to earlier is in Kant's Metaphysics of Morals. I, for my part, haven't been exposed to any of Kant's wider philosophical writings like you have, Daniel -- only a narrow part of his writings that dealt strictly with ethics.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2008, 11:14:37 pm »
The stuff I was referring to earlier is in Kant's Metaphysics of Morals. I, for my part, haven't been exposed to any of Kant's wider philosophical writings like you have, Daniel -- only a narrow part of his writings that dealt strictly with ethics.

Hmph, well, if you have philosophical questions, you should probably ask Thought. I think he knows these things way, way better than I do, and seems to have a clearer way of explaining them.

Azala

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Queen of the Reptites
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2008, 11:33:44 pm »
About the whole "Noah's Ark" thing. Some defenders of the bible claim that God speaks in such a way in order to identify with the humans.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 01:40:51 am »
Well, Thought, that was nicely put. I did say I would not be returning for further dialogue, but I wrote that with the expectation that nobody would offer anything worth my address. Krispin himself has been in decline for years, and nobody else on the pro-religious side of this ceaseless argument ever had the intellectual gravitas to begin with. But yours is a thoughtful and insightful contribution, and I would be a poor sport indeed not to grant you the courtesy of some attention. Plus, I happen to like your style.

Let me say before I begin that I do not labor under the delusion that I have any chance of changing your mind tonight. Your mind is made up, and I can already see that you are not the sort of person to be converted by your enemies. I admit this frankly and up front in hopes that you will not feel compelled to treat my response from a defensive standpoint, because, as you might concede, such a posture is not well-suited to the embrace of ideas. I would rather you have an enjoyable time considering my point of view, because I enjoyed yours. As you said of religion, for the best insights one must go to the experts. I don’t have a book out, but I do know my stuff.

Lastly, let me apologize in advance that the following is not as long as I might like. I gave up the Compendium for two reasons, and one of them was limited time. As much as I would like to engage you at full length, there are other things I would like even more, and only so many hours on the clock. So if I miss something that you were particularly keen on seeing addressed, be forgiving and let me know.

~~~
First, allow me to sidestep the question of the validity of Atheism for a moment and simply state that of course Atheism is illogical! Yet it is also equally true that Theism is illogical; only Agnosticism is logical, for this particular question.

The short answer is that you are correct, and a number of people have made that point already. I myself am an agnostic, in case you missed it, although admittedly from your point of view I am an atheist, because I do not subscribe to Christianity, whereas by all appearances you do.

The longer answer is that you are not correct. Atheism is illogical only inasmuch as it is not one hundred percent veracious, and in some situations the only binary that matters is the perfect match versus everything else. Empirically, atheism has plenty to support it, especially when we start talking about specific religions and deities rather than the concept of the divine in general. In contrast, theism has a great deal going against it.

To lump the two together is a common tactic among religionists, because it serves a dual and most advantageous purpose: If the atheistic party takes the bait, they are forced into a sudden defense of their position on strange ground. More importantly the tactic infuriates many among the atheistic party, by accusing them of practicing faith by eschewing it—an absurdity.

Much of the substance of this maneuver has already been played out in this thread, so, despite your tardiness to the festivities, only the most cursory of summaries is required: Daniel Krispin began the conversation by proposing that atheism and theism are both illogical positions to hold. Yes they are technically, but conceptually he was making a dishonest argument: Atheism is illogical only in the sense that it is incomplete by virtue of the subject matter, while theism is illogical not only because it is incomplete in the same way, but because it contradicts our reliable observations of the natural world with extraordinary, non-falsifiable claims of its own.

The two are not equivalent.

As the entirety of the evidence on the matter is not yet known (being that a humblingly small amount of knowledge has been amassed by humans over the last 20,000 years, compared to the whole of the universe, and being that a good majority of that knowledge is almost assuredly incorrect), no definite solution can be reached. It is like trying to solve a mathematical equation while half the numbers and variables are missing!

You speak with a conviction that is not borne out by the ideas you present—a flaw of my own when I was younger. You have no immediate standing to assert that “a good majority” of our knowledge of the universe is “almost assuredly incorrect,” and if I asked you to defend that position you would be compelled to research for hours simply to find mistakes in past scientific thought and controversies in modern thought…and even then you would not reach the “good majority” standard you have set for yourself. At this point in our development, many fields of science have matured at the basic level. I am not suggesting that we have run out of things to learn; only that we are learning.

In much the same way, your fondness of pointing out the incomplete status of our scientific progress does not go well with your fatuous (albeit, to your credit, insinuated) declarations of theistic commitment. You will find few counterparts on my side of the debate who are similarly insular. (Emendation: You will find quite a number, but few with whom I would associate.)

It is not a bad thing to be illogical, mind you. After all, no single human (and possibly the species in general) is so long-lived as to have the luxury of waiting until we have all the necessary information before making a decision in this matter.

You are using an incorrect definition of logic. Throughout my early reply in this topic, I was referring to formal logic—the study of deductive reasoning and its principles and methods. Krispin was also referring to that. But in your example of making decisions prior to having full information, your reference to “illogical” applies to those methods of human reasoning other than critical analysis, such as intuition, repetition, and so forth.

In the sense of formal logic, it is very much a bad thing to be illogical. A pity, then, that so many people are, and with such little awareness or concern.

As for faith being illogical, again I will respond with: of course it is! It, however, is perfectly reasonable.

Faith could only be reasonable in the absence of further inquiry, but as faith specifically discourages that very inquiry in favor of a predetermined conclusion, it is inherently unreasonable.

For the religious individual, faith may replace all logic and reason. However, it is also quite possible for faith to supplement these tools. In the latter case, it is somewhat inexact to call faith illogical or unreasonable; rather, it is used as an extra-logical tool.

Wishful thinking. Faith will never substitute for any fact-based method of speculation, such as hypothesis or inference. You are welcome to defend your claim, but if I were you I would save myself the trouble of such a futile effort and go on to the next quote.

I am most amused that some people have pointed out that religion does not conform to the scientific method or empirical evidence and have therefore concluded that it should be discarded. How terribly unreasonable of them! The Scientific Method does not address the same questions that religion addresses…

An excellent point. There is plenty of room in the human equation for meaningful development outside the accumulation of scientific comprehension. Religion could exist there, if it wanted. But it does not want that. It wants what science, and only science, can deliver: objective truth.

(Oh, and just to be clear, there is nothing religion answers that the scientific method could not, by clever psychological application, also answer, but in practice the two have a different purview. As the cliché goes, science is for “how” and religion is for “why.”)

Just as the humanities can use the scientific method and empirical evidence at its whim without being subject to the tool, so too can we use these tools in the question of the existence of god while avoiding the nasty problem of being subject to it. That is to say, it is perfectly acceptable to point at particulars of science and empirical evidence to support one side or another, though neither is the final word on the matter. It is about the level of circumstantial evidence, at best.

Fascinating. Untenable. The discoveries of science do not amount to “circumstantial evidence.” Indeed, you could not have found a more antonymous pairing. “Circumstantial” implies a condition of the moment, whereas scientific experimentation deliberately attempts to weed out those false conclusions by imposing the requirement of reproducibility.

So then, if science is against religion, I would be most curious as to hear how. Of course, this curiosity is asking rather much, as science might object to part of one religion while leaving three other religions untouched.

One of the most consistent weaknesses I notice in religious thinkers is a fundamental misunderstanding of what science is, how it is conducted, and where it is applied.

I have spoken, as have we all here, of “science” in the collective, perhaps making it sound as though it were some monolithic force almost like god, and maybe that is confusing to my friends on the pro-religious side of the table. Science is not religion’s counterpart. Science is the methodical investigation of phenomena for the purpose of understanding their nature. Religion is antagonistic to science because it is threatened by science, but the war is decidedly unilateral and science, for its part, does not care. It concerns itself only with questions that can be put to the test. It is utterly without ego, and thus incapable of taking any notice of the threat posed to it by religious fundamentalists.

You did not hear it from me that science is “against” religion. Science discredits religion. Science supplants religion. But it is not against it in the sense of a rivalry or competition, and the two are not opposites.

Simply put, there is nothing in the bible that precludes evolution, and nothing in evolution that precludes the bible.

Simply put, aye. Wrongly put too. Go on and defend your claim.

Oh, wait…you did.

The strict creationist would say that the bible claims that God created man from dust; this is true, the bible does so claim. However, it does not make mention of the means through which God did this creating. An artist creates a painting, an author creates a book, but none of this tells us how it is done.

You will forgive me if I suggest that I find this an apologetic and unpersuasive defense.

Now the “scientist” might object, saying that the methods of evolution are known and without a taint of divine intervention.

Now you are even putting “scientist” in quotes, eh?

What you are doing here is defending the specific mythology of your religion from factual scrutiny by selectively interpreting the Bible so as to arrive at a conclusion which is, once again, untestable, unfalsifiable, and so forth. I’ve got another “un” for you: Unacceptable.

That is, in so far as religion would have us expect the universe to behave in such-and-such a manner and science has shown that it does in fact behave in that manner, we may then claim that science has confirmed religion.

Religion says there is a god who makes the universe run like clockwork. Science proves the universe runs like clockwork. Thus, science proves religion.

That is obviously, conspicuously fallacious.

To move on from science to social science (in a continuing train of how different spheres of discipline may be applied to the issue but do not dominate that issue), it is rather curious that humans have a conception of god in the first place. Humans, after all, are animals of experience (or empirical evidence, if you prefer). It is said that we cannot truly imagine what an alien life-form would look like as we have no basis for that which is truly alien. Indeed, humans are a horribly unimaginative lot; at best we can make small leaps from the known into the unknown; there are no thoughts, no inventions, that have not been built on the ideas that came before it. Why then should we have made the leap to a god?

Humanity conceives of the divine because, as curious creatures, we have a desire to understand the working of things. This is biologically advantageous, as such an understanding allows that we may manipulate our surroundings or ourselves to our advantage.

However, without good information—and in antiquity there was scarce little of that—it is easy to draw poor conclusions. You would think that a poor conclusion would get weeded out right away because it doesn’t work, but the story of history is filled with bad ideas that lasted for a long time because they were just ambiguous enough, and just appealing enough, to become culturally significant and therefore traditional.

Nowhere is this better evidenced than with the creation of god. Humanity, having finally evolved to the point where its curiosity expanded to include the existential, did not realize that meaning is self-made, and therefore sought to ascribe it to the universe in the form of divinities. These concepts, being wrong, were nevertheless not wrong enough to be obviously wrong, and at the same time they were very appealing, and became a currency of social cohesion. Thus, they stuck with us easily.

Of course, every tribe had its own god image, and these images came to be powerful symbols of “Us versus Them,” resulting in millennia of bloodbaths from which we have yet to emerge. But I digress.

You are right that humans are creatures of experience, and have a difficult time with abstract creativity. Most of what we do creatively is analogical, or, at best, metaphorical. Seldom do we create anything that is truly original—and when we do, it is often poorly received. (Postmodernism comes to mind.) Anyhow, your observation explains quite tidily why the earliest gods were merely humans with a little extra power. When explaining the workings of nature beyond our control, or exploring the questions of existence and sentience, humans simply took what they knew and imagined more powerful beings—gods—running the show. Consequently, all early and most modern gods fit into one of these three categories:

1) Aggrandized humans, such as kings or elders;
2) Anthropomorphized beings and physical phenomena, such as wind or eagles;
3) Personified concepts, such as fertility or wisdom, or war, or death.

This is even evident in the Christian tradition: Back in the times of the Old Testament, the pre-ancient Hebrew god was emotional, temperamental, fickle, and suggestible—category number one in my little list. By the time of the New Testament, human thinking had advanced to the point where god was stripped of many of his more obvious human weaknesses, but the resulting deity still consisted of the supposedly more virtuous human traits like love and mercy.

As humanity became more advanced in its thinking, so too did its gods grow more sophisticated. Today, as the era of monotheism draws to a bloody close, our deities of choice are decidedly more modern and well-connected to our everyday lives. They include mobility, humor, and even free-market economics. Any time we have an unusual fondness for something, which we cannot easily explain in rational terms, we are caught in an act of deification—or, to use a more contemporary and appropriate concept—worship.

But back then, in the oldest days of civilization, our thoughts were simple and our gods were too. Indeed, your observation that we tend to borrow from what we know when we engage in creative acts is so astute, and so straightforward, that I am surprised you did not follow it to its natural conclusion. Instead you accuse humans of being unimaginative (quite demonstrably untrue), then bizarrely conclude that, therefore, we must have come up with the idea of god because, in fact, god came up with us.

Remarkable.

Did someone see thunder and think it a god? Why would he have questioned it in the first place? Perhaps I am wrong in this statement but to my knowledge there was never a god of gravity in any society, yet gravity would be just as mysterious to primitive man.

We questioned thunder because of its relevance to our lives, its dangerousness, and its overwhelming, fear-inspiring presence.

Gravity, by comparison, was subtle enough of an idea that it did not occur to us for a very long time. We knew all about falling, flying, and other gravity-related things, and deified some of those, but gravity itself was too difficult an idea to be readily apparent. You might think of gravity as something obvious, but if you do then you are behaving under the hubris of hindsight. Light bulbs are also simple, but we didn’t come up with those for a long time. So are windmills. Scissors. And more. In most cases, it took visionaries or geniuses to come up with those things for the first time. It should come as no surprise that there were many gods of thunder but few of gravitation.

And, why should more than one people have imagined a god in the first place?

Because all people share in common a curiosity about themselves and their world. That is a fundamental part of human nature, and anyone lacking it tends to be psychologically disturbed.

As it makes no sense for any god to be postulated in the first place (unless there was experience, of course), why should numerous independent peoples of created an idea as beyond experience as the divine?

At this point, your entire argument is in tatters, so please forgive me if I jump forward a bit.

But now onto the supplemental questions as to if Religion is good or evil. Ha, how unreasonable such a question is! The very question of ultimate good or evil is a religious question; to attempt to address it assuming that religion is evil is like attempting to argue that logic (as a system of perceiving the world) is illogical by using logic!

You are getting caught up in a kind of gibberish here. The question of good and evil is not religious; indeed, the former preceded even the latter. The concept of good and evil arose as a human plea for boundaries by which to assemble cultures and give purpose. Freed from the restraints of instinctive behavior, early humans found themselves in the difficult position of deciding what to do with themselves. In addition to the animal questions of “what” and “how,” human sentience compelled us to interpret it all by asking “why.” This unique uncertainty, while it was not frontally addressed, motivated a good deal of early human behavior.

Today, good and evil has evolved in its sophistication, but it is still premised upon our need to find meaning with ourselves and the world, which itself is a natural consequence of consciousness. When anybody gets it in mind to ask whether religion is good or evil, you can be sure that the question is an honest one.

What we call good and bad are inherently steeped in the assumption that there can be an authority higher than humanity and such assumptions are religious in nature.

Again, your religious point of view obscures your understanding of the wider world. You characterize the concept of good and evil as requiring an authority “higher” than humanity—a religious construction of an irreligious concept. People’s sense of good and evil can come from any number of sources. Mine comes from an observation of human nature, and then follows by ascertaining what is best (and worst) for humans, from a human standpoint. I mentioned that, by my model, the only true evil is ignorance, or willful ignorance. I have carefully determined, over a period of years, that this is an excellent way by which to evaluate human-related concepts and behaviors, in terms of meaningfulness. Ignorance does not require some “higher” authority to operate. Indeed, I think it quite antithetical. (And it is, after all, my model.)

A hammer may be very useful for driving a nail into a piece of wood, or bashing your opponent over the head when you get frustrated with their arguments…

Or lack of arguments. I admit to being particularly disappointed by Krispin’s evasive, slanderous, intellectually absent reply to me earlier in this thread. He and I have had our ups and downs in the past (mostly downs), but I had hoped he would offer something thoughtful on the occasion of my surprise (and very fleeting) visit. Let me repeat how glad I am for the opportunity you presented me, by writing such a thoughtful reply of your own.

I would propose, then, that the use to which Religion should be put is the preservation and advancement of human civilization and individual societies. The first part, that of preservation, is rather simple. To survive societies need a common; societies are not made up of strangers but fellow believers in whatever that society decides to believe in. Religion can serve this role just as well as anything else.

A noble argument—except for the last sentence, of course—and I am sorely tempted to simply concede you the point if only out of esteem for your respect for human progress. But I cannot do it, because I have seen religion’s report card at preserving and advancing our civilization. We are at a fundamental impasse on that point.

Christianity is a perfect example of religion preserving it. The knowledge, laws, and customs of the ancient world were preserved through the Church.

Yes, in some regards. Not so much in others. The Church was not a bunch of lovey-dovey do-gooders looking to bring comfort and salvation to god’s children. The Church based its policy upon ambition, greed, and political leverage. No different than any other authority, really, but the Church was special because it enjoyed such dominance over much of Europe, for so long a time—both at the political and the cultural level.

You know, the first science report I ever remember doing was on Galileo, who I admit having had some admiration for, given my own cosmic interests. I still remember reading about what the Christians did to him, simply because his discoveries threatened their control. They didn’t teach that stuff in the classroom textbooks, but it was right there in my school library. That was one of the first times I realized what an evil history the Christian religion has.

Of course, the very first such lesson I got was outside school altogether. I was raised in a Jewish household, so I know all about the past two thousand years of Christian “peace and love.”

So then, has Religion advanced society or civilization? I highly suspect that the advancements is theological discourse will be discarded out of hand by those who disagree with religion, therefore allow me to return to Christianity and note the wonders of monasticism (specifically the Irish brand of Monasticism).

Not “out of hand.” Now that is a straw man. For you to suggest it is to imply that all those who reject religion, such as myself, are either pitiably irrational or up to no good.

Now one might claim that the enlightenment and scientific revolution would have still happened regardless of the role religion played in it. Perhaps – when one gets into counterfactual historical arguments things get a bit tricky – but it is rather assured that IF these things still happened, then they would have been delayed by several centuries or millennia.

This is much like the argument Krispin made. To take historical fact and turn it completely around is easy enough, but to get millions of people to believe that, in the face of all evidence, now that is impressive.

Much like the Dominionist resolution now pending in the House, which revises the history of America in stark defiance of the well-preserved facts, you would have us all think that the Middle Ages were actually a golden age, and that Christianity led the parade. Well, you’re half right, but all wrong.

For a thousand years, Christian authorities blocked nearly all progress in Europe. The old Roman infrastructure decayed, the people fell into darkness, and even the great Charlemagne was almost illiterate. Christian authorities thwarted science, art, commerce, and liberty, imposing a strict control on each, and declaring with unfettered authority what people were and were not allowed to do. And when I say “people,” I mean “Christian males.” Females were beats of burden and sexual slaves under the Christianity of this era. Non-Christians, meanwhile, were either converted, exiled, murdered, or, at the very best, segregated and disenfranchised. These were dangerous times, with economic stagnation, rampant war, and the near-total absence of imperial power. The Church was active, all right, sending its missionaries across the land to win new minions, enacting its prohibitions on human pleasure and happiness, lining its coffers with the silver of lords and peasants alike, and generally terrorizing everybody with its apocalyptic portents (inspired, no doubt, by the fall of Rome and the hardships that ensued).

Let me be plain: I do not mean to deny your claims that Christian influences helped preserve knowledge during the perilous times of the dark ages. You are not mistaken when you point out the role of the monasteries in dispensing education and preserving knowledge, etc., etc.

My argument is not that those events did not occur. Obviously, I know better than that. There will always be some progress inside even the most oppressive society. That Christianity did not destroy society completely during the Middle Ages is to be expected; humans are made of heartier stuff than that, and churches can fall. Rather, my argument is that the adoption of Christianity itself slowed what progress might otherwise have been made. Had another imperial power, free of the corruption and excess that had diminished Rome, arisen and taken over the West of Europe before Christianity set in, the Goths could have been turned back, society could have been rehabilitated, and commerce could have regained its footing. Had those things happened, human learning and technology would have proceeded much more quickly, and we might have walked on the moon by the year 1000. Billions of people might not have been made to lead wretched lives. Who knows what that world might have looked like today?

Perhaps the argument could be made that Christianity’s rise was ineluctable. Many of Christianity’s most notorious practices in the early Middle Ages were not of its own doing, but were set by existing political and cultural trends. When Rome fell, people wanted bearings in their lives. So they turned to faith and religious submission. Christianity rose to fit the needs of the day. Thus, continuing that line of thought, it is hard to blame Christianity itself for rising up and becoming such an oppressive force over Europe. In that case, any discussion of how Europe might have fared better might be moot. Nonetheless, from our perspective, the story is plain.

But what has religion done for us lately? Charity organizations aside, of course. And Hospitals. And basic laws.

You have a singular wit. And a lot of cheek.

Basic tenant of the modern western world is that everyone is equal, which is an inherently religious perspective. How is that a religious perspective? Quite simple; people are NOT equal, as even the simplest of observations will show.

I point out with some amusement that, in your patently silly suggestion that anything non-literal (like the concept of equal opportunity) is “inherently” religious , you are also implying that anything which isn’t true is “inherently” a religious point of view. That kind of ambiguous phrasing doesn’t do much to help your case.

If we are left to the laws of nature, un-tempered by the urgings of religion, then we are left with survival of the fittest.

Justice is not a choice between religion and survival of the fittest. That’s a false dilemma, a logical fallacy. Yet again your religious perspective has muddled your mind and prevented you from recognizing the palpable fact that nonreligious principles are as effective as religious ones in determining civic ideals.

Certainly, Religion has its uses.

Aye, it slices and dices and rapes your daughters. Call in the next five minutes and you can get three gods for the price of one!

There are truly altruistic human acts; just because an altruistic act usually benefits the doer and the receiver does not make it any less altruistic.

She was talking about motive. It isn’t possible for a human being to behave with any motive other than what they perceive at that moment is in their own interest, unless that person is psychologically disturbed.

Now, “in one’s interest” can and often does take on a stretchy look. People smoke their lungs out, they ignore politics, they play games when they should be cleaning the bathroom, they date their ex’s roommate…they do all sorts of stuff that is decidedly not in their best interest. Sometimes they even know it. But at the level of the will, even those things which they acknowledge to be bad are in their self-interest, at least at the time.

Two points; not everyone who is religious is interested in salvation. Buddists and Taoists, for example. Also, this is actually an internally debated Christian concept; salvation through grace or salvation through works. If there is salvation through grace, then works are not needed (and thus the person will have no perceived quota); yet in the same turn, salvation through grace should lead to good works, just as eating will lead to sustained living (as it were).

Although it might not be obvious from inside a religious frame of mind, Ms Black is right again: Christianity shapes its followers’ behavior with a clear system of rewards and punishments. Christians don’t want to be damned; they want to be saved. Actually, I suspect that many of them privately believe they are going to be saved, but that doesn’t stop them from applying the fear of Hell and the lure of Heaven to their decision-making.

Nonreligious folks, in the meantime, often take actions with no obvious personal incentive, let alone an eternal reward. They make these decisions out of a more sophisticated sense of ethics. Christians can do that too, but not when they apply the religious test to their judgment.

This is not to say that even the best apologetics will not include faith. But they will include logic and reason that you can accept (on a technical level, at least) as well. As mentioned above, for the learned religious individual, faith is used as an extra-logical tool. To expect it to be absent is, well, illogical of you.

This is one of those times where the length of your reply gives away your feeling of vulnerability. Ms Black, myself, and others, have all stated pretty clearly why faith is illogical. It’s a one-sentence answer: Faith is illogical because it declares itself exempt from logic.

You can’t have it both ways. Either you use faith to support your arguments, in which case those arguments are logically invalid, or you rely on evidence alone.

No, scientific faith is “I believe because I believe I have sound evidence.”

I might be sounding like a broken record at this point, but again you are letting your religious worldview corrupt your judgment and your ability to conceptualize beyond a religious context. There is no faith in science. There simply is not. The facts always have the final word. Scientists may entertain hunches, suspicions, and all of that good stuff, but in the end they go with what the facts say. Many a proud scientist has willingly humbled himself or herself after an experiment produced an answer they did not expect. That is the beauty, and the power, of science. It takes a certain kind of person to be in that business, though.

“Believing that one believes one has sound evidence” is not faith. If the scientist is behaving ethically, his or her “belief” (although “assumption” is better) is supportable by facts—or, at the very least, testable.

That’s the very sort of thing that Krispin just doesn’t understand. I’d like to think that you do, and are just playing dumb so as to further your argument (and, at the same time, give me a chance to further mine even more), but maybe I’m wrong. You tell me.

Science recognizes only one type of “fact,” that of the observation. The observation itself may be flawed, but it is a fact that it was observed. These observations are then used to support a hypothesis (though really it happens in reverse, unfortunately) which, if it stands up to peer review and rigorous testing may, MAY, be promoted to the realm of theory. Theory is still not a fact. To be fair to science (and to make sure I am not misunderstood), a scientific theory is nearly as good as fact.

You are certainly not a scientist, then. In colloquial usage, facts are superior to theories—witness that old canard, “Evolution is just a theory.” But in science, facts are the small coins, and theories the mighty houses of exchange. In science, a good theory makes use of many facts to describe a piece of the natural world and its function. A fact on behalf of evolution is nothing compared to the theory itself, which is supported by legions of facts. Just as facts rule the day, theories “light the way.” Okay…that was not as poetic as I had hoped. But, you get my idea. Your usage of these terms is decidedly in the colloquial sense, and does not capture this important distinction, so I thought I would point it out for your erudition.

Now to Lord J, though he (she?) clearly stated that he would not return to read responses. It is only proper to address some of the issues brought up by such an “evil” individual (his definition of the word, not mine). (…)

Curiously, that makes all of humanity evil without remorse. I highly suspect that you are ignorant of all of the laws contained in the Code of Aethelbert, King of Kent. Therefore, you are evil. If you do not go out and learn about these law codes, then you are willfully ignorant and all the more evil for it. I am ignorant as to your street address, thus I am evil. As no one, at any point, has ever been without some ignorance, everyone is always evil.

I am afraid your definition is simply too unreasonable and it must be rejected.

Hah. In eight minutes of typing (if that), you knocked down eight years of my philosophical work, eh? I would be the first to congratulate you, had you managed to pull that off.

In fact, ignorance is a condition of circumstance, and not a persistent, inherent quality. To call humans evil because we all are ignorant is to inappropriately transfer culpability away from ignorance itself and into the general character of the person. By your reasoning, everybody short of an omniscient god is evil.

That we are ignorant is a motivation, not a condemnation. We are each born into ignorance, and, hopefully, raised up so that we can pursue our lives freeing ourselves from it, by learning, exploring, creating, communicating, and achieving. Unlike Christianity, I see no need to condemn a human being from birth. On the contrary, at that moment we have every day of our life ahead of us.

Willful ignorance, meanwhile, represents the abrogation of what I see as the intrinsic human obligation to shed ignorance. Thus, as a personality trait rather than a situational condition, it is more accurate to ascribe a judgment of “evil” (in whatever degree of severity) to one who purposely refrains from learning so as to preserve some existing bliss or simply avoid the work.

This is why I qualify religious faith as evil. It is not evil in the religious, demonic sense, but in the sense that it prevents people from broadening their understanding of the world in which they live and on which they depend. As faith superimposes a predetermined conclusion above whatever the truth in question might be, it sustains the ignorance of the practitioner, who does this willfully…even if they do not fully realize the consequences of their choices.

I thank you for providing me with the opportunity to expound upon this.

It is not that the road to Truth is opposite to the system of scientific inquiry, but it is in addition to.

Yes, I recall you tried to prove that earlier. It didn’t go very well for you, did it?

I feel like I am in a Monty Python sketch. “I’m thirty-seven, I’m not old.” “It’s around twenty thousand years of civilization, that’s not a few.”

I think this is the first (and hopefully to be the only) anti-intellectual cheap shot you have taken at me. By quibbling over my artistic use of the word “few,” you are, effectively, making argument where none exists.

I used the word “few” deliberately, because I know enough about human history to understand that the beginnings of civilization were diverse enough—and, to this day, remain poorly understood enough—that attaching a specific number would simply invite criticism upon myself. So I chose “few.”

You’re no John Cleese, m’boy.

Actually, we have. Modern advancements are actually speeding up evolution, as a larger population allows for more genetic variations to enter the species and a larger playing field for those variations to find an advantage niche. True, these aren’t major biological changes, but for one humans are genetically predisposed to longer lives now-a-days than in the past (which is actually a result of older men procreating with younger women).

You are correct. I was wrong to say the human genome has not changed at all over the past few thousand years. There have no doubt been numerous mutations. What I was speaking of was the appearance and function of the whole, which, for the most part, remains identical to that of humans of ages past.

You are not correct, however, in some of your specifics. Most of our gains in health, longevity, and the rest are the result of improvements to the nurture side of the equation. But it is the beside the point.

Quote from: Lord J esq on January 06, 2008, 03:53:28 PM

He is an all-perfect father, yet failed to prevent the fall of his children and doomed them to live wretched lives until the Judgment. He is loving and compassionate, yet routinely inflicts eternal torture on his own creations. He is supreme, yet was thwarted in his intentions at Eden by the Devil. He is merciful, yet allowed his progeny to be caught up in a struggle far beyond their means to fight. He entrusted his holy message to a book overrun by factual errors and ancient politics.

This is a rather poor argument as you are essentially claiming that because you do not understand the basics of Christian doctrine, the Christian God must not exist. How does your lack of understanding effect reality one way or the other?

Sometimes it takes an outsider to judge something objectively. Just because your myths are taught to you with a specific slant, does not mean that any of my original observations were mistaken. In fact, each of them is fully correct, verifiable in that holiest of books. My choice of verbs—“failed,” “doomed,” “thwarted”—may not be consistent with your interpretation of your god, but it is consistent with the facts, such as they are, laid out by your religious texts. It isn’t so hard to fill in the blanks. The Bible is an old book, written by simpler people in simpler times. A modern, educated person with some patience and a library card would have little trouble grappling with it.

All in all, the bible is an invaluable historical source that is happily used in academic circles as such. It is reliable and it is well preserved; the worst that can be said for it is that is has some odd stories mixed in.

I think the worst that can be said of it is that people swear by it…and live and die, and kill, by it. Then there’re also all those passages about rape, slavery, genocide, etc., etc. Not exactly a book to live by, I think.

But anywho, it takes us back to Descartes, back further really. Nothing can be asserted “with proof.” If you make an assertion, you must then provide proof, to which due diligence requires that we ask for proof in turn. Finally, we are back to “I think, therefore I am.” Actually, we are back further as you cannot offer proof that you think!

Knock off the solipsist babble or it’s ring-a-ding-ding for you.

The claim that a claim offered without supporting evidence can be, absent mitigating factors, dismissed without evaluation, is logically sound because in logic there are guiding rules, and if you break the rules then you don’t get to play.

However, there are evangelical Atheists.

Every side has its rabble, I admit. “Evangelical” is not the appropriate word, but I get your point.

Not true. Those who followed a religion lived a lie, constraining their behavior, sacrificing their intellectual integrity, and quite probably influencing other people to similarly demean their own lives. That’s another flaw in Pascal’s Wager: It completely ignores the penalties that one pays in this life for being religious.

Pish posh, we can figure this one out economically. Let us say that when you die your net balance is zero. The individual who has “penalties” during their life, the religious fellow, at the end of the transaction will have a balance of zero; much was put in but there was no net result. The individual who has rewards during their life, the atheistic fellow, at the end of the transaction has a balance of zero as well. Your reasoning is rather illogical.

My reasoning is beautiful. Bow before the might of my awesome reasoning!

You are, not for the first time, allowing your religious worldview to confuse your understanding of the world as it is. I, who do not accept the premise of an afterworld, do not evaluate a human being in terms of the afterlife. I evaluate it in the dual terms of their own life, and history.

A religious person who has lived a lie, constrained their behavior, etc., etc., has wasted the one and only life we know that they had. That doesn’t mean their life was necessarily without happiness or satisfaction entirely, but simply that they deprived themselves of something greater.

… this is just wrong on grounds of basic composition! You state that religion has waned and that the share of intellectuals between religion and non-religion has changed. You then claim that a great many of our finest people are nonreligious or belong to alternate religions. Alternate religions are still religions, so they should be counted in the first category, not that latter.

Yes, a genuine mistake on my part. Well spotted.

I was trying to make a point about the diffusion of monotheism into neo-paganism, but I never followed through.

I stand corrected.

As an aside, however, I should note that there is nothing wrong with some degree of revisionism in history. A history text tells us two things; it tells us about the events that the text describes and it tells us about the society in which the text was written.

Any historical narrative should strive to be as objective and disinterested as it possibly can. That is a fundamental ethic of both historical research and academic composition.

Revisionism is about the worst thing any historian could do with their position of authority.

There is a difference between being a cause of something and being part of something.

As the major power in Europe for a long time, it goes without saying that the Church was an instigator of events, and a guiding force in social mores. Of course, you may throw that back in my face with the “What is asserted without proof” line, but I don’t think you’re likely to open a book and realize your mistake, so I’ll save us both the trouble. I’ll make the assertion, and you can throw it out. =)

So of course Christianity had a part. The Pope was using church money to buy grain to feed the starving, regardless of their faith. Monasteries were protecting ancient texts, preserving them, and refining them. When there was pestilence there were priests, nuns, and monks to tend to the sick. It was Christianity that helped maintain the productivity of otherwise barren farmland. It was Christianity that provided for the elderly in their waning years. It was Christianity that protected the people from overreaching political ambition. It was Christianity that spread laws and order.

Pure, shameless Christian revisionism. There’s a book that came out a couple of years ago by Rodney Stark, I think his name is: The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and the Success of the West.

If you’re going to rewrite history, you might as well go whole hog.  The Middle Ages were a golden time, Christians lavished one another with chocolates and roses, god invented the steam engine, and the Black Plague was actually a tea party that got a little raucous.

Oh, and the mean old unbelievers conspired with Satan to burn down England in 1666, but Jesus did some breakdancing on a cloud and that thing spat out enough water to drown the whole city…in salvation.

efore I end my post, allow me to clearly state my stance, as after so long a post it is easy to loose a point (even assuming that the points are well-made in the first place, which I will not assume): 1) atheism is an illogical stance, but it is unreasonable to fault it for being illogical. 2) The universe as described by human understanding, in all its parts, does not preclude the possibility of god. 3) Indeed, the universe as described by human understanding does not concern itself with god. 4) despite that, the universe behaves in such a manner as to satisfy our expectations of a god. 5) Religion is not a uniform force in the world; it is often good but it can be bad as well, but such a criteria is poorly suited to address the question of if religion is true or not.

Your timing is perfect! I myself am out of time and have to go. Quickly:

1) Atheism is not illogical in the same way that theism is illogical. The former is merely incomplete; the latter is not consistent with fact.

2) Agreed.

3) Agreed.

4) Implausible, and unproved, but not strictly incorrect.

5) Agreed, provisionally: “With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ~ Steven Weinberg

Thank you again, Thought. I disagree with you utterly, but I enjoyed the opportunity to engage with you. Again, no time for a substantive review and edit, so please forgive any obvious errors!

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 02:37:09 am »
I think we need a full on, hardcore, no-doubts-about-it, rock solid atheist here. Not your soft and polite agnostics. That, my friends, is what seperates the men from the boys!

Back to the argument, Thought is correct that God never completely explained his creation method. You must realize that no human on the face of this Earth (at least no sane one) would have followed Christ if he had preached that man had come from apes. No only because it would of insulted his audience, but because at the time, it would of been illogical to say so. It would of been the same had Jesus told his followers how lightning and thunder were caused, or that earthquakes were caused by seismic activity in the Earth's crust, and not the wrath of God. It may of been better to leave this realm of science alone, and allow humans themselves to figure it out. Was Christianity the cause of the Church's denial of scientific discoveries like heliocentrism, or was it the nature of the Church at the time? Al Biruni had discovered heliocentrism 500 years previous to Copernicus, and yet it was not censored. I bring up Islam again because Islam and Christianity is practically the same thing, and you see both religious establishments as causing the same harm to science and knowledge.

And Lord J, you seem to constantly bring up the horrors of religion into debates about whether God exists or not. It really has no bearing on the matter. Whether God's law is evil or not does not affect his existence.

And I don't see whats the great about your hero Galileo. Most of his ideas had been explored before in other nations :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:38:40 am by Burning Zeppelin »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008, 02:38:26 am »
(being that a humblingly small amount of knowledge has been amassed by humans over the last 20,000 years, compared to the whole of the universe, and being that a good majority of that knowledge is almost assuredly incorrect)

Newtonian physics is not "assuredly incorrect". It has applications just as quantum mechanics and other areas of science do. Just because we have not discovered Grand Unified Theory does not mean our understanding of its operating components is assuredly wrong.

As for faith being illogical, again I will respond with: of course it is! It, however, is perfectly reasonable. Logic is strict, we cannot make leaps with it, yet reason can tell us that such a leap may be needed. If we define the question of the existence of a divine entity as an important issue, then we can not afford to be purely logical. To do so would be unreasonable.

You just described a hypothesis: faith in a certain outcome. Science revises it, but religion is eternally static and confined to unchanging texts. Faith is not a method of achieving reasonable answers to questions.

extra-logical tool

Instinct, hunches, gut-feelings, sub-conscious inclinations, and suppositions need not originate in religion.

So then, if science is against religion, I would be most curious as to hear how.

This brings me to tears. Science is not some narrow field of study, but a way of explaining physical phenomena and behavior. Science may not concern itself with poetry or religion, but religion concerns itself with science. Religion argues that the world was created recently; that God created beings instantly; that people are reincarnated; that three-day eclipses are possible; that heaven is two fathoms above earth; that etc.. And when people believe these unlikely, overwhelmingly-evidentially-challenged assertions, reason is eroded and humanity suffers.

This is called Theistic Evolution, if you are not already familiar with it.

There are other grievous claims against reason which religion makes (or at least, the authors of antiquity who had no concept of science did). But you can take this line of thought all the way to the end, and that's saying that all science is perfectly consistent with religion, yet God still exists outside the universe. Since it is a mystery whether he exists in this manner, it must be equally likely that he doesn't exist, right? This opens the door to all kinds of nonsense. No one can see inside a black hole, but I firmly believe that John David Booty roosted there before he came to earth as a baby. Since no one can prove it one way or the other, my claim must be accepted with validity. No. It is unlikely, but unlike religion, it isn't supported by thousands of years of conditioning and tradition. A completely unobservable God beyond the realm of science is a useless copout.

Why then should we have made the leap to a god?

"God made man in his own image."

Rather, man made God in his. Gods in many religions are anthropomorphic, if not animal based. The Maya never had an alien god based on some innate human concept, but did have snake and mammal deities.

Humans didn’t just take that which we didn’t understand and make them gods, we made even that which we did understand and made them gods. Some unimaginable forces were defined, others were ignored, and some mundane concepts were defined… why? And, why should more than one people have imagined a god in the first place?

Then explain the ubiquitous God of Death in every major and minor religion. Humanity is a pattern-seeking species. Humanity obviously did not understand the nature of earth and space, but that didn't prevent religion from concocting several rules of how existence was fixed in the firmament. It's a misfire to assign a diety to anything we don't understand just yet, just as it is a misfire for a moth to calibrate it's navigation to a candle instead of the moon. Universal themes in mankind do not need an external cause.

if there is no god, there should have been no conception of god.

There are no xenomorphs, midi-chlorians, ghosts, tachyon pulses, or faeries. You castrate human creativity with your assertion. Primitive man can dream up what he wishes to explain the mystery of his people's origin. God has much to answer for under your model for allegedly perpetuating hundreds of different ideas about his nature to individual cultures. This is inconsistent with reason, both rational and the reason of religion that God intends for his children to return to him, find nirvana, or whatever else. "God does not play dice" is the greatest lie ever conceived to that culture which happened to draw the wrong stick about the nature of God and are condemned to hell or eternal reincarnation because of it.

It was demonstrated that there was no ether, that Einstein was wrong, and that his accounting for it cause his equations to produce wrong results. When confronted with the evidence, Einstein got up, said "This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen", went back to his lab and corrected his equations. That is science. But the motivated edits of a Dark Ages transcriptionist monk are forever frozen upon the bible's pages, and people believed them as truth back then. The bible is now held to be an allegory because believing it is no longer reasonable.

In short, we have more historical reason to believe that the bible is accurate and trustworthy than we have historical reason to believe the same of Plato’s Symposium (and let us not even mention Socrates, of whom there is no definitive record, or the Iliad).

Popularity does not beget accuracy. The Epic of Gilgamesh may survive because it was a popular story and more tablets were made than other Sumerian tales, along with Shakespeare's folios. That a group of fiercely religious people could perpetuate their chief text through several copies is not surprising. That kind of proliferation comes with world religion. Gutenberg did choose a bible to print first, did he not? Though it's not in the Old Testament, a good example of biblical "accuracy" can be found in the lineage of Jesus.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/joseph.html

Oh, but one is Mary's genealogy, they say. Why does it terminate with Joseph, then?

They have been scattered and persecuted, yet they endure. Going from pure historical probability, they should have been wiped out several times over by now.

Ah, so God is preserving them. I suppose he just let them get cremated alive for laughs, then. It's like the guy who fell 47 storeys and lived recently; he claimed that God decided it wasn't his time. Well, nice of God to let him fall first before issuing the final ruling.

Why, then, would God emerge as an innate concept in cultures other than the Jewish, which have since died out? Is God playing favorites with those he reveals his divine nature to? Why deny that man can invent God when the bible talks of man inventing golden calfs and idols of his own volition? But I guess that could be the devil talking, eh?

but as I have presented it there is more weight on the side of theism one the grounds of circumstantial evidence.

In light of this post -- notwithstanding that the score seems to be observable physical phenomena 100, vague possibility 1 -- , I would submit the opposite.

The very question of ultimate good or evil is a religious question

There have been, are, and will be people with no religion who act ethically. Ethics is not inseparable from religion. Monkeys do not have religion, but they do not act adverse to survival and perpetuation of their species. Likewise, early man did not slaughter his family for the hell and thrill of it. Altruism is easily attributed to natural selection of species and evolution. But humans are different; they ate the apple of knowledge and have intellects, correct? Excluding the fact that the Garden of Eden is doubtlessly under your model an allegory (don't renege, or you're opening a Pandora's box of women-bearing ribcages), the idea that religious morality and its codes are the limit to human ethics is completely rebuffed by religious morality codes themselves. They have a habit of changing with the local ruler, shaman, book, and Testament, you know? Some are particularly brutal.

So yes, religion can be evaluated ethically from an external point of view.

It is not absolute; at best it can be called useful or utilitarian.

If you allow for evolution, then you allow for human nature. Nature is based on rigid survival; humanity, on the other hand, can behave in line with virtue ethics and other systems, as many people have done.

Basic laws can be explained by basic altruism and a body of common law dating centuries. There are a slew of independent charitable organizations and hospitals.

These beneficent organizations of society do not need religion to exist. Religion can aid in organization and funding, but let's not open up the box of tithe misuse, elaborate churches, and the gold-plated Vatican at the moment. Free enterprise can do it just as well as a religion, if not better thanks to an absence of preconceived notion and motive. A recent travesty committed by a religious hospital was the denial of timely morning after birth control to a girl who had been admitted for rape; she had to travel out of the city to get it at a later date, risking the need for more serious abortion procedures. http://aclupa.blogspot.com/2006/07/rape-victim-denied-emergency.html

Religion now has a detrimental effect on healthcare by inhibiting research not on ethical grounds, but because of ancient, religious morality. All the merit of religious codes in the world is lost when those codes condemn homosexuals, deviants, and disbelievers to hell. I do not argue that religion was not inevitable in the development of man, or useful in man's horrible Dark Ages and cruel existence in the infancy of civilization. But religion has outlived that usefulness.

[equality is an] inherently religious perspective.

Semantics. What religion dictates in saying all souls are equal under rule of law, science dictates in saying all individual minds are equal under rule of law.

There are numerous instances of God commanding the taking of slaves after the Jews conquered a people. But if there is one thing which completely abolishes the idea of equality under religion, look no further than the beginning of the bible:

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. Genesis 3:16

There is no getting around exactly what the author meant by that. And Christianity is on the light end of the sociocultural spectrum of what religion does to women. Half of humanity is instantly rendered inferior.

Take the Quakers during WWII

World War II involved a holocaust of millions of Jewish people. It can be argued that Hitler was against ethnic groups, but he did his damndest to invoke religion, God, and divinity in his speeches and motivations towards the German people. Those refugees are moot in this event. Regardless, in any war, there are places for refugees; in peacetime, there are places welcoming immigrants. America welcomes Hindu, Muslims, and Shinto Buddhists and others with little or not thought of the immigrants' religion.

Communist China works well enough in this case.

China and Soviet Russia are different; the political rule determined the heinous actions of those countries. Last time I checked, there are proportionally huge populations of people who do not believe in God in capitalistic Europe (as low as 29% in France, IIRC). They are not committing crimes on the level of Stalin's purges or the Cultural Revolution. The studies referenced at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality#_note-19 and below that citation establish a modestly inverse relationship between religiosity and crime, in fact. A recent, exhaustive look country to country can be found at http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html .

This is actually a good thing, as it should lead to the increase of good works in the world.

At the expense of the poor souls who took the wrong side in their devotion to God, and must burn in hell forever because of it. A commandment to do good works seems more effective than deceiving your religious subjects with ineffective conditioning.

Discrimination is the common element in all forms of discrimination, which probably means that it is the problem.

I am eager to see an attempt at eliminating discrimination by people who are taught that the potential victims are going to hell because of their beliefs, and whose religious forerunners were commanded by God to kill people who differed from them. This is not the back of the bus we're talking about here, but the back of the hearse. Also, gender is the mental, class perception based on sex, apart from the presence of organs. The elimination of gender and prejudice based on a person's sex would be a good thing.

You have not seen religion backed into a corner, not ever, so you don’t know what its last argument might be.

This statement disagrees with fire and brimstone sermons delivered every Sunday on schedule arguing that yes, Christians are being backed into a corner, and that if one doesn't repent, the second coming will happen before you know it (a message delivered since the Dark Ages, of course). Christians grew up backed into a corner by the Romans, and Revelations predicts that Christians will be backed into a corner by the great evil. In fact, I would submit that those pastors are true about the first part. Religion dominates the affairs of Europe no more, and in America, there is a bigger conflict over religion than ever before. The Scopes trial pales in comparison to the rise of the religious right in American politics and the complete subversion of the Republican party. What do you call issues to kill made by Islamic leaders who have been criticized, or the resurgence of Christian apologists, but defense against credible threat? Religion is no longer compatible with reason, and is on the offensive as it loses believers. There is also no need to address every apologist's arcane defenses of religion, just as there is no need to entertain pseudoscience. Faith and reason are on trial, and if there is some exonerating piece of religion hidden in some biblical code that proves faith is right as promoted by one obscure apologist, then God hasn't done a very good job of getting the Good Word out.

More often than not, this is a lay-individual, someone who is religious but not focused in religion.

What need is there of those focused in religion, if this lay-individual can make it into heaven? What need is there of esoteric texts and rituals, if simple belief suffices? Why does religion rely on those versed in its deepest intricacies to defend it well?

As mentioned above, for the learned religious individual, faith is used as an extra-logical tool. To expect it to be absent is, well, illogical of you.

Ah. I suppose those of us without this extra-logical Game Genie are at a natural disadvantage. We can't exactly go and change Planck's constant when it suits us.

morality must come from something greater than humanity.

So much for humanism! You might as well invalidate every system, code, proof, work, or personal achievement ever made by humanity. If humanity cannot police itself without help from God, then by Jove, it's helpless. This kind of special self-hatred is worse than nihilism. Now, reason and religion are no longer exclusive domains unto their own right under your model: religion is clearly superior to human reason.

we’ll have a major paradigm shift.

I look forward to it. The last paradigm shifts brought us the periodic table, electricity, and clean, fragrant drinking water. Science's ability to redefine itself based on experimental evidence is not a bad thing.

But how do you propose that God is better than theory, or equal to fact, if there is noobservational evidence of him? If science is bad because we often have it wrong due to hubris, then what on earth makes religion and it's habit of impeding and killing better than the basic advancement of knowledge? As the alternative, how is an unchanging belief without testing and evaluation supposed to help humanity? If we believe in gravity because it's observable, but can never truly know for sure, then what makes God more likely than No God? What is the use of this extradimensional supreme being? Why does humanities get a get out of jail free card when it comes to metaphysical questions, but science is stuck as the faulty tool of human reason, inferior to a God who doesn't really do anything anyway?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:47:42 am by ZeaLitY »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 04:04:41 am »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
This brings me to tears. Science is not some narrow field of study, but a way of explaining physical phenomena and behavior. Science may not concern itself with poetry or religion, but religion concerns itself with science. Religion argues that the world was created recently; that God created beings instantly; that people are reincarnated; that three-day eclipses are possible; that heaven is two fathoms above earth; that etc.. And when people believe these unlikely, overwhelmingly-evidentially-challenged assertions, reason is eroded and humanity suffers.

I think I'm entirely superceeded in these arguments by Thought, who has said anything I would and then some with far more deft, and even beaten Lord J soundly (sorry J, but your arguments were very weak and 'personal' next to his. And your revisionist stance on history is nothing short of strange... it is you who follow the revisions, and the likes of Thought and I who look to the old and standard sources. You can gripe and rant all you like, but you're no historian, or apt at social commentary, that much is plain.)

But I just felt I needed to say something to this, ZeaLitY. This is just my point in what I've been trying to say. Yeah, when religion tampers in science we have trouble, no question about it, but you're making too great a generalization. I'll say we can't know how old the universe is, but that's a funny philosophical/scientific quirk that makes knowing the exact moment impossible to know, nothing to do with religion. The question of evolution is still up in the air for me, but at times I do lean towards it. My religion, as it were, doesn't cross over with my science.

That said, my main emphasis is that science does very often improperly tamper in religion, that is what I have been trying to show, and that is what both you and Lord J have done. See, in making knowledge claims about nouminal things that is precisely what you ARE doing: you are taking science further than it possibly can or should do, and is essentially tantamount to a religious person making a faith based judgement on a scientific issue.

Anyway, I'm entirely behind Thought on this one. He's the clearest thinker I've ever seen on this or any other board, bar none, and I'd be interested in knowing what his qualifications are. He's definitely well read and studied. Forget that he's religious, he has neatly managed a close to objective analysis or, rather, taken a very 'respectful' as I'd put it approach to the matter. He obviously has his view, but it doesn't keep him understanding both sides which, I must say, is more than can be said for you or Lord J. In fact, I'm a little aggrieved with Lord J for maligning him with what amounts to little more than opinion. Most glaring is Lord J's insistance on historical 'revisionism', when the stance we take is the one that has been standard for thousands of years, back to Herodotus and Thucydides. Indeed, his statements tend to be based on revisionist, or worse, incomplete and elementary, knowledge of the subject matter. He has strong opinions, to be sure, and powerful words, but not much is backing up his claims other than a strong voice.

See, one thing that Thought managed to do was remain cool and collected. Forget that Lord J accused him improperly of straw man arguments... that was misapplied (I've been accused of that improperly, too.) Lord J is an excellent orator, but of the sort that would sway masses less by his rightness and more by his words and personality. Lots of fury, but not much backing it up. Lots of mockery, but not much logic. Often he'll come down to just say 'my logic has reigned supreme' when he's said little more than just 'no, you're wrong! Wrong!' (or something tantamount). At those points, I honestly don't know anymore if he's serious or joking.

Thought has put forward a very strong argument, and it'll take more than Lord J's replies to refute it. A lot more. And neither have you made very good cases against. Maybe it's just my position (my father being a theologian and all), but you and Lord J both have a very elementary understanding of religion, and are basing a lot of your opinions on that. A lot of them are akin to someone saying that science is internally inconsistant because pi cannot possibly be 3.14, because circumferance divided by diameter is not exactly that. That is of course an absurd claim as anyone who knows geometry will say, and likewise many of your relgious claims are ones made in genuine ignorance and misinformation. For example, a sentence like 'religion is entirely static' is entirely mispoken. If it were, we should not have had several schisms within the church, heresies (some of which developed into seperate branches); we should not have the divisions within even church denominations themselves, say between more traditional and more contemporary movements, or any such thing. We would not be adding extra books to Samuel (as we are) with the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls. These things are part of a very dynamic religious development. If you truly think it to be static, that especially shows an ignorant bias towards religious thought, and makes your judgments on the matter difficult to trust. Or to understand 'God made man in his image' as a physical image, when instead it means to think and to reason. Likewise the Bible is by no means allegorical: it is typological and mythological, if anything. There is a distinct difference. ZeaLitY, you are a Romantic, to be sure, but you're no theologian, and you really don't know the first thing about religion other than what your own creeds have told you.

See, a vendetta against religion is not a very good starting basis to refute it from. You need to be more objective, or at least have an open mind. Unfortunately, a vendetta is what both you and Lord J have. A person like, say, my philosophy prof, is in a far better position to be critical because he has no inherent enmity to it, but merely a philosophical disbelief. Your very position is, by nature, very biased. How can you sure that what you are saying is not mere prejudice speaking? And I'll tell you, a lot of what you say IS grossly inaccurate. Of course here Lord J will say it's revisionist, or only what we want you to think, or some other conspiracy theory, but it doesn't change what Thought has said.

Look, historically speaking, and Thought has gone into this in detail (and let's just put aside Lord J's 'revisionist' conspiracies for a second)... the Church has not stifled thought, and in fact has often been the birthplace thereof. It has definitely been a patron of arts. Music, painting, architecture... how did it hold these things back, may I ask? And if you need further proof of how religion does not stifle thought, look only at the likes of Thought or myself, who are in no way the fanatic evangelists you seem to identify the religious with. Indeed, I'm finding it very difficult to understand how you could make such a generalization. It's true, there are some fanatics out there (I've seen bits of that documentary Jesus Camp, and it's not pleasant), but it's obviously not as widespread as it seems. So I'd ask you to be more open-minded.

Nor, I must say, are any of your ideas new. In fact, I am entirely certain there were those that thought like you (and Lord J) over two thousand years ago. Euhumerous and his 'the gods were great kings'; look, these things you say are nothing new to this age. It is at the very least several hundred years old. We KNOW more now, but the way we think is the same. Lord J might scoff at Descartes, but it is he, the devout Catholic, who set the stage for much of our method of scientific method... and, I must add, one of his primary objectives was to show the fundamental flaw in atheism alongside. Indeed, it is ironic then that scientific method and a desire to refute atheism are in some way blood-brothers.

Oh, and speaking as a Classicist, I would be of the opinion that popularity does translate into accuracy, ZeaLitY, just so you know. The more texts we have, the more we can check against, and the more we know about alternate versions. Ever look at a Greek version of the New Testament? You'll see all these textual notes at the bottom, denoting different transcriptions. That's where we get the variance in the number 666 in Revelations, for example. 666 is retained likely because it is the most common, and because it has the most symbolic meaning. This is the same thing done with any other ancient work (where we can see the different additions and subtractions), but as Thought said, the Bible has far more versions so we are better able to see the discrepancies. And these versions go back to something like 200AD, which is within 100 or so years of the originals. This is closer than we have for Homer.

Anyway, just really think about this one thing. If religion is so limiting... why are Thought and I so varied in our thoughts anyway? It doesn't jive. Why the heck will I be studying, in depth, Homer's Iliad (book XXIV) this semester, in Greek no less? How am I being held back in my studies by adhering (strongly, I must add... no twice a year churchgoer here) to a religion? How come I love to reference Greek gods in my works? Oh, yeah, that's religion, too, I guess. But hey, guess what, that's telling us about the way we think, and adds beauty to human thought, and tells us about the way we think.