Author Topic: When Zeal attacks...  (Read 9521 times)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« on: December 01, 2004, 01:04:40 am »
I have been working with events for awhile, though I still have alot to learn, I thought I'd whip up a small Boss Battle hack. My future hacks will be much more polished, once I learn the ins and outs of event scripting.

It's not too bad for a first try though.
Here's a screenshot of it...

Yup, you get to face off against Zeal's royal family!
What a nasty trio they are too, they showed no mercy with me..but I expect nobody but me to
attempt beating them at the start of the game, I was just asking for a beating.
I came *this* close to adding Alfador into the mix, but decided not to at the last minute.
Maybe in a follow up hack?

Someone let me know if this battle is beatable, Zeal's Hallation mixed with the other's magic spells certain doom for all involved, If it's not, I can easily change Zeal's AI to something else.
If anything, it's a challenge.

Apply to an unheadered ROM.
Just walk into Gato's Exhibit to initiate battle.

http://www.geocities.com/chickenlump/zealbattle.zip

(Note: Schala isn't normally fightable, I used Chrono Tweaker to change an enemy into Schala, then I removed the header and used Temporal Flux to edit the event.)

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 02:28:36 am »
If it wasn't the beginning of the game, then maybe after Zeal uses Hallation, you could follow up with Frog Flare?  But then again, how much HP do they have?

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 04:02:39 pm »
neato! That picture's really sweet! That makes me want to be a videogame hacker someday.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 08:09:30 pm »
Quote from: Dunsparce
neato! That picture's really sweet! That makes me want to be a videogame hacker someday.

Why not give it a shot? With Temporal Flux, and my aging Chrono Tweaker, making some of these changes is as easy as clicking a few buttons, and learning easily by trial and error. It's not at all hard to make new maps, events, overworlds, edit monsters and characters, etc etc...
At the most, you may get really good and have fun in the process.
At the least, you may just have fun trying something new, and have fun in the process. Hacking doesn't require massive amounts of complex knowledge or anything. Start off small, like map edits, or change a parameter or two for starters (add a bed to a map, change a song, or make a character do a funny animation when they aren't supposed to). Adding in new text is as easy as opening Temporal Flux, opening the Strings menu, and selecting the dialog you wish to edit, and then typing in what you want in it's place.

You also don't have to release a whole game transforming hack to be a hacker. Just make a new location, add in a monster or two, beef them up, and release it as a Super Challenging Optional Boss Battle Hack.
It's my favorite hobby now, and it doesn't require lots of time if you wish to learn. Start off reading some documents and experimenting in your free time, like 30 minutes a day, or something.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 09:36:09 pm »
I'd probably have an easier time destroying the Death Star with my bare hands.  At least on the Death Star I know where to aim.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 01:21:09 am »
Can you make it so that you can play as originally not playable characters?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 01:44:09 am »
Yes. That's one of the aims of the soon-to-be-announced Compendium TF project.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 05:51:58 pm »
The first full hack I plan to create will be along those lines.  My codename for it is "The Lucy Patch".  I will not be starting on the patch until Temporal Flux is capable of doing it by itself though.

---Evil Peer

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 07:31:56 pm »
Same; I'm going to hold off on Crimson Echoes until Temporal Flux has a few more options. Once Map Expansion is in, however, I will immediately begin mapping the new planned areas.

Anonymous

When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 09:14:58 pm »
Quote from: Evil Peer
The first full hack I plan to create will be along those lines.  My codename for it is "The Lucy Patch".  I will not be starting on the patch until Temporal Flux is capable of doing it by itself though.

---Evil Peer

I almost didn't believe that post, EP, but just now, Temporal Flux gave me an error stating:
"This program will now terminate. Any further attempts at bad event code will result in loss of data, and possibly a virus. "

>_>

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 09:19:20 pm »
....forgot to log in just there...heh....

*patiently awaits the Lucy Patch..*

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 02:37:40 am »
Once Map Expansion is in, however, I will immediately begin mapping the new planned areas.

Ah yes, map expansion.  I knew I was forgetting something for "the list".  That is pretty much the same reason it did not make it into the first cut.  ;)

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:30:55 pm »
This may be a silly question, but I was hoping you could humor me a bit, and describe everything that Map Expansion would do. I'm thinking larger map areas, or more maps in general.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
When Zeal attacks...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 10:49:24 pm »
describe everything that Map Expansion would do. I'm thinking larger map areas, or more maps in general.

Specifically, it means allowing map sizes to be changed (though not beyond the current maximum size).  Temporal Flux would already "try" to save an extra map if you were to make one, but I do not know offhand if there is any extra space for more map pointers.

Technically, you could make larger maps now through good use of the arbitrary compression tool.

---Evil Peer