Author Topic: Benazir Bhutto's Assassination  (Read 931 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Benazir Bhutto's Assassination
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:19:03 pm »
Benazir Bhutto
Fmr. Pakistani Prime Minister
1953 - 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazir_Bhutto

Truly a sad day in world history, as if it hasn't been said already in every news outlet out there. I was hoping to see Bhutto in charge in Pakistan (if only partly so due to the power sharing arrangement with Musharraf -- I think?), but that day will never come. 

Despite corruption charges against her party in the past, and the "dynasty effect" that appears to have eased her way into politics, she seemed extremely competent and charismatic. It's amazing to see just how revered she is in Pakistan though -- I mean, women are often downtrodden due to cultural factors in that area of the world, yet here's an example of thousands of men crowding around a woman's coffin, and not because she's a religious figure but because she's a capable leader. On the other hand, I suppose it's a safe bet that her gender made her that much more hated by whoever's responsible.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:29:00 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Benazir Bhutto's Assassination
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:33:35 pm »
The deaths of religion and sexism shall be the advancement of humankind.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:12:24 pm »
God dammit, that made my feel like an idiot not knowing who she was. I hope she rests well.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »
She died for something she called democracy, that nowadays its a mere masquerade to make people believe that they live in a free world, while politicians get the money the poor are dying for. Democracy is the utopia they paint everyday, and when someone tries to get power, according to their money/influences, they kill or get killed. Democracy is not possible as long as the human being keeps being a "human being".

Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 06:46:40 pm »
She died for something she called democracy, that nowadays its a mere masquerade to make people believe that they live in a free world, while politicians get the money the poor are dying for. Democracy is the utopia they paint everyday, and when someone tries to get power, according to their money/influences, they kill or get killed. Democracy is not possible as long as the human being keeps being a "human being".

Democracy means being informed in a way that listening to cable news broadcasts that barely cover meaningful news usually doesn't provide. It means keeping track of elections and voting. But it means so much more than that too. It means keeping an eye on the people you elect and holding them accountable, starting your own political movements, rallying petitions to get laws created, changed, or abolished or impeach someone. It means being willing to step up to the plate and run for office yourself. It means using your power of jury nullification when doing jury duty and telling the law to "fuck off" when the law is unjust.

And just what is freedom to you? To me, freedom means owning myself, and that means having the right to think or believe as I want, openly and securely. It means being able to create contracts with other free people and exchange goods or services, and it means being able to freely choose who I want to associate with and create whatever organizations I want. It means being able to own things without fear of them being taken from me. It means making my own choices in life without being limited by anything other than myself.

Beyond securing freedom, government has no rights. It does not exist to protect the individual's security or safety, but the individual's freedom.

The reason we have a democracy is so that every man, woman, and child can fight to keep government in check. When democracy dies, freedom dies, and every time you decide to put your money and time into pursuing mere entertainment or buying things you don't need, while the government's power is abused, you are ignoring your own  democratic responsibility to hold government accountable for stepping beyond its rights. Democracy isn't a masquerade; people just don't realize how powerful they are, because most people are weak-willed.

So don't whine about democracy and freedom like it's some inevitable mess that nobody can do anything about, or like it's some utopian dream. As long as you can freely choose what to do with your life and truly call it your own decision, then you are free, and nobody can take that from you.

In an oppressed world, it takes a truly strong-willed person to live freely, and so it's the strong who have the greatest responsibility to help bring freedom to the weak. If that is how Benazir Bhutto lived, then her life can never be called a waste, and neither can the things she was working for when she died.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:59:20 pm »
Ramsus, I said, nowadays, Democracy (D) is what you are explaining, democracy is the thing that killed the important strong minded leader Benazir Bhutto. I just say, we do not see any democratic ways anymore because of the lack of people that care for themselves. Why? Maybe mass media, culture, whatever you want to blame, but it has lost its meaning, because, for example, in my country, you vote to avoid a tax, a lot of people I know just do it without the true conscience such an important action deserves. If I am saying (whining) something against democracy, it because I would like to help to clean up the mess and start living in a caring community, or I would be just like the others I am talking about, only thought can make a difference, and if that was Benazir Bhutto's work, it will never be a waste.

I want to thank you for confronting me, maybe, by this means, someone else would think different and can start to make a change.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:05 pm »
Bah, I dislike the idea of giving everyone equal voting power. Something about giving power to masses of idiots doesn't sit well with me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:22:25 pm by MsBlack »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:28:10 am »
Bah, I dislike the idea of giving everyone equal voting power. Something about giving power to masses of idiots doesn't sit well with me.

Nearest I can tell, it's seemed to work better than giving power to a few select idiots.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:48:08 am »
I to think, there are flaws in the system we use. As far as I know though it Is the best one available. I do think American people should get more pissed off, were due for some rebellion, after all that is why we have the second, ninth, and tenth amendment.

MsBlack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:34 am »
Nearest I can tell, it's seemed to work better than giving power to a few select idiots.
Hah true, but it hasn't worked as well as electing the best people for the job, which would more likely have been achieved if idiots hadn't voted. But I concede that such a setup is idealistic and not practically achieveable in the near future. I mainly just wanted to have a dig at people automatically assuming giving everyone equal voting power is the best course, which, up until Ramsus posted and I consequently checked Wikipedia, I thought democracy meant.

YbrikMetaknight

• I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »
I believe it was Winston Churchill who once said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:59 pm »
Long time no see.

Democracy may fail, may be an easy target for corruption, and may fail in many respects, but really, it is the "safest" way. For example, a dictator can be incredibly good for a nation, only if the dictator does what is in the best interest of the nation. However, who can hold him or her accountable? Having a council, a group of leaders, much like a senate but without as much public influence, can also be good, and may rid the flaws of a dictatorship. But again, how can they be held accountable? How can we know that they are not being influenced by giant corporations or religions? Because of these possible outcomes, democracy is the safest bet.