Author Topic: Why do we love the Chrono series so much?  (Read 7727 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Why do we love the Chrono series so much?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2007, 06:52:19 pm »
Episode 3, while certainly the best of the "new trilogy" was still mostly stupid.

Mario's story has always been absurd and stupid. What did you expect? Mario: Shakespeare? He's a plummer (most of the time) who saves a princess from a dinosaur.

Also, the Final Fantasy games mostly don't follow the same story, so that's a moot point.

Chrono Trigger had two sequels which weren't "entirely" sequels. If they make a new Chrono game, it won't effect anyone's (who isn't stupid) opinion of the previous Chrono games. A sequal does not tarnish the original. The original will always be there, just as it was...But as long as they get Kato, Mitsuda, & Toriyama, in my eyes, they can do no wrong to the series.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2007, 07:17:27 pm »
 Kato is quite interested in bringing back Magus.

When you think about it, everyone has a little cliche to them in this game. But maybe that just means if you take cliches and arrange them the right way, you get something pretty nice?

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2007, 07:42:49 pm »
chrono trigger had a sequal, which wasnt entirely a sequal
Do I smell Cross hate?
NOOO! i love cross, im literally playing it and beating it for the first time right now (except that mine glitches at the scene where lynx turns back into serge, so i cant go any further :(

Chrono Trigger had two sequels which weren't "entirely" sequels. If they make a new Chrono game, it won't effect anyone's (who isn't stupid) opinion of the previous Chrono games. A sequal does not tarnish the original. The original will always be there, just as it was...But as long as they get Kato, Mitsuda, & Toriyama, in my eyes, they can do no wrong to the series.
actually, i did think about that when i wrote my message, and i am aware that it wont tarnish peoples love for the original, but the question was why do we love the chrono SERIES so much, meaning all the games and story in general. The chrono series is basically a finished story, theres not much to add besides a few minor details that would hardly fit into a game. so maybe they could make one more game to rule out those details, but say they made a couple more after that, they would just be playing off the success of a great game

and as for the mario bits, well all you need to know is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ININk8Ego3w
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:06:13 pm by Mitchr90 »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2007, 04:34:36 am »
The chrono series is basically a finished story, theres not much to add besides a few minor details that would hardly fit into a game.

Magus's fate and the circumstances of the Fall of Guardia are totally unaccounted for. They're hardly "minor details" in the story of the series.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2007, 11:34:11 am »
In CC, Magus and every other CT PC die horribly before the game.

In RD, the same thing happens except Magus finds Kid and they go treasure hunting, then Serge bums around with them for a while before they ditch him. He probably dies later (Magus, not Serge, that would be PIME TARADOX)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2007, 03:28:33 pm »
Quote from: MK
In CC, Magus and every other CT PC die horribly before the game.

Wait... wait... even the ones in the distant past? Does nobody just get old and die?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2007, 07:19:27 pm »
Yeah, pretty much everything maggiekarp just said was false and/or hearsay w/o enough evidence to convince me...well, except Lucca...She's toast for sure...but it's a series dealing with time travel, so anything's possible.

The chrono series is basically a finished story, theres not much to add besides a few minor details that would hardly fit into a game.

Magus's fate and the circumstances of the Fall of Guardia are totally unaccounted for. They're hardly "minor details" in the story of the series.

Not to mention the origin of a certain villain who's kind of relevant to the plot: Lavos. We still don't know where it came from or if there are more out there.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »
Well, okay, Ayla and Frog probably lived to ripe old ages, but the rest? Horrible bloody (or in Robo's case, oily) deaths.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2007, 10:54:54 pm »
 I did some thinking and I can actually see both Ayla and Frog having it pretty bad.

Crono - Best guess, got stabbed through the chest.
Marle - some similar fate.
Lucca - see Cross
Frog - About when exactly do you suppose Masa and Mune started slacking off and let the sword corrupt?
Ayla - Brrr. Cold.
Robo - Prometheus program

...But where does that leave Magus?  All I can think of is sadness, and with the way things ended in Cross plus some words by Kato, it doesn't seem that his gloom is supposed to last much longer.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2007, 02:39:53 am »
"Chrono Compendium - There's a site too!"

I guess no one's read Fates of the Chrono Trigger Team? Guardia is still referred to as a war-stricken territory or kingdom of its own in 1020 A.D., and Lucca's letter written after 1005 A.D. refers to her friends in the present, living tense. Nothing says Crono and Marle have to die in the Fall of Guardia; their only apparently "deaths" are the ghosts in Home World and Home World alone because in that dimension, the team's actions are somehow negated and Lavos is able to erupt.