Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV sequel to be developed  (Read 4221 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy IV sequel to be developed
« on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:49 pm »
The sequel will be titled Final Fantasy IV The After: Return to the Moon

Source

- You play as Theodore, Cecil's descendant (some sites claim he's his son, others say he's a descendant in the distant future)
- Set to be released by February 2008
- It's for mobile phone

Thoughts?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV sequel to be developed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:48:03 pm »
Squeenix strikes again! Why, oh why do they put such things on cell phones and portable consoles? I understand they're trying to diversify, but really. I'm sure they'll do a 3D remake of Final Fantasy VI for the iPhone someday -- though that would probably sell more copies/downloads than if they made it for the PS3, considering Sony seems to be on the losing end of this round of the console wars. I suppose that's why Square prefers to experiment with portable games nowadays -- cell phones and the PSP are much more accessible to the consumer than the $500 (US) PS3.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »
US date?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:51:51 pm »
ACK!..Another FF game?!...Gah

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:06:09 pm »
I was all happy until I read the mobile phone part. Same with Before Crisis. "Whoa, I get to play as the Turks?" became "Whoa, I wasn't born in Japan so I don't get to play this at all?"

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:27:10 pm »
I liked the original game well enough, but this doesn't seem like a good way to continue the plot of the game.

Either square will make it like modern FF games, which is to say technobably and quasi-moralfull, or they will try to make it like the older FF games, which is to say they will completely fail to recapture that spark (compared to the original release, the "new" FFI is inferior in the qualities that make me still want to play such an old game).

It is also odd as FF has a consol fan base; seems like you'd want to release a new game on a consol, then, to market towards that specific fan base. At the least go with the DS, PSP, or some such.

To be fair, however, putting it on a cell phone is pandering to a new generation of consumers, which is a smart business move at least... for Japan.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 05:23:34 pm »
What? They're making a FFIV sequal and it's not going to be titled FFIV: Kain's Revenge?!? I'm shocked. Well, anyways...I don't care about the cell phone thing. So far they did it with that Before Crisis & Parasite Eve 3 or w/e...Why not? They've got the technology or w/e...

dan_death

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:45:24 pm »
God, they keep making sequels, or prequels, or remakes of a bunch of FF games. It's sort of getting old. But Crisis Core looks pretty awesome. But the remakes of FF 1 & 2 on PSP aren't even in 3D.

I wish they'd start making more ORIGINAL titles.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:43:16 pm »
FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK, MY HOPES WERE SHOT DOWN WITH THE 'MOBILE/JAPAN-EXCLUSIVE' PART.

Know what? I'm irritated beyond belief here. I love FFIV, and I share the shot-down hopes of every fan who reads that evil line about the sequel being exclusive to Japan.

Here's hoping Square Enix will realise they're idiots and just move it to the DS or PSP instead.

To Square with love~

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 04:05:35 am »
phone games = fail
good going square

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 04:29:17 am »
Parasite Eve 3

There's no Parasite Eve 3. The developers made it clear that it was a spinoff with a totally different gameplay, thus why it's titled "The 3rd Birthday" and nothing else.

Here's hoping Square Enix will realise they're idiots and just move it to the DS or PSP instead.

Well, they're not really idiots. They always said that they'll support the "best platform" on the market, and the best platform currently is by far the mobile phone. There are more mobile phones in Japan than Nintendo DS, and some phones are almost as powerful graphic-wise as the PSP. Mobile games are cheap to develop and they don't need packages and shipping, etc. SE can surely gain more money from selling a "good" phone game in Japan than a normal console game worldwide, and it's not really their fault if we can't play their games...

Then again FFIV isn't my favourite FF, so maybe that's why I'm slightly indiferrent. There's always hope for the fans though; Front Mission 2089 is a game which was released on mobile phones but is set to be ported to the DS.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:18 pm »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:35:48 pm »
I said Parasite Eve 3 or whatever...But, regardless...Cell Phone games wouldn't be fail in NA and other places if our technology was on par with Japan's...

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 05:50:46 pm »
our technology is just fine!
before you peope start spouting your mouths off about something you know NOTHING about why dont you actually research and try some phone games?
Assassins Creed Mobile is awesome, and i think even better than the console versions!
Silent Hill is awesome! and Gothworth's Zelda 1 remake is great!

plus, think back to how great games were with the NES and SNES. CHRONO TRIGGER IS AN SNES GAME!
phones can emulate SNES now, so don't tell me they cant make games as good!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 05:51:23 pm »
phone games = fail
fuck you?

Phone games = fail because no one outside of Japan can fucking play Square's phone games