Author Topic: Chrono Break director: who could it be?  (Read 2229 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Break director: who could it be?
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:53:41 am »
Can Masato Kato really direct a new Chrono game for Square Enix, now that he's a free-lance scenario writer? It just occured to me that -- apart from really old games from the 80s programmed by young enthusiasts in the basement -- there isn't any game that has ever been directed by a free-lancer.

If I'm not mistaken, a director has to be an employee of the game's company, and Masato Kato notably isn't a Square Enix employee anymore. He's a free-lance scenario writer and hasn't directed a game since Chrono Cross. Perhaps the lack of a director is one of the reasons why a new Chrono game isn't made?

Then again, Yuji Horii has never directed a Dragon Quest game. He's always credited to as Scenario/Game Designer while someone else is the director, yet each DQ has the feel and spirit of Yuji Horii... So a Chrono game written by Kato and directed by someone else could probably still be faithful to the spirit of the series. So perhaps the "lack" of a director isn't actually what's hindering the development of a new Chrono...

Anyway, what do you think? Who would you like to be the director for "Chrono Break"? It would have to be someone from Square Enix, or perhaps from the Nintendo-owned Monolith Soft if they manage to make a collaboration (we can always dream...).

Personally, I would love to see Yasuyuki Honne direct the game: he was the main map/background artist of the Chrono series, and has experiences with game direction since he directed Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins. It's probably awfully unlikely, but it would be awesome. I guess a more realistic choice for Square Enix would be Takashi Tokita, Yoshinori Kitase, or even Akitoshi I-fill-all-the-free-ranks Kawazu. Hiromichi Tanaka would be okay, but he's more a producer than a director it seems (although he did design the battle systems of Seiken Densetsu 3, Xenogears, and Chrono Cross).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:04:56 am by Chrono'99 »

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Break director: who could it be?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 02:48:34 pm »
I played Blue Dragon and lost all hope for a new Chrono game. Even if it was made it'd suck, unless the used the kingdom hearts system for it. new games just suck when they're turn based, even though they use to be awesome. and this isnt some personal rant from me getting board, as i can still enjoy FF6 and CT, but for some reason (lack of being good) the new turn based RPGs just arent fun. i bet if they made a new Chrono game we'd get stuck with the FF12 system, which blows. anyway, the only good Chrono game we'll get now is a home made one.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:51:43 pm »
Yeah, every new RPG that comes out these days suck. That's why Square and its stockholders continue to profit in a multi million dollar business of game making. Yeah.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:57:34 pm »
Turn-based games can be good if they're done right. For example, I think the Chrono Crisis battle system is going to rock, based on what I've seen/read. Sort of like Xenogears, but...Xenogears plus.

If anything, I'm dismayed at the lack of turn-based systems, or the dumbing-down of turn-based systems in recent RPGs, which is why I haven't bought anything in ages. Crisis will be a good break from the going trend. Figures it takes fans to make something truly grand-tacular. 

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:09:43 pm »
Yeah, every new RPG that comes out these days suck. That's why Square and its stockholders continue to profit in a multi million dollar business of game making. Yeah.
Stupid mindless FF7 fanboys FTW! (not directed at you, but at the millions who buy everything with the letters/numbers(?) VII on it from SE)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 03:50:20 pm »
Final Fantasy VII has been killed from milking, sad but true. The problem wasn't milking per se, but the way they handled it; they could have done marvelous things with VII expansion given the right writing and game play design. (But I say this only because I was holding out for Sephiroth being brought back as a good guy via cloning; sort of like the Governator's role reversal from The Terminator to Terminator 2).

But to get back to Chrono '99's original question, could Tetsuya Takahashi fill that role? I *think* he directed Xenosaga, but maybe he only did the scenario writing with Soraya Saga. Maybe he isn't even with Monolith anymore; I haven't kept up on his whereabouts. Xenosaga Episode I was extremely well-done -- with a bit more gameplay v. cutscene balancing, it could have been perfection. Xenosaga Episodes II and III were a major let-down for me (both in writing and battle system design), but I think Takahashi had been dumped from his directorial role for those.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:52:04 pm by FaustWolf »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:25:15 pm »
Tetsuya Takahashi's current whereabouts are really obscure. I don't know if he has done anything since Xenosaga II and III, although he appears in the "Special Thanks" credits for Blue Dragon, curiously (maybe an homonym? or maybe it just means that Sakaguchi is still in contact with him). His wife continues to work on RPGs as a free-lance scenario writer though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:26:56 pm by Chrono'99 »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:47:02 pm »
The new Dragon Quest Swords looks ****ing amazing. Dragon Quest IX doesn't look half-bad either. They can make a new Chrono game not stink...They've just got to go back to what made Chrono Trigger so amazing & worth-while. Form the/a Dream Team and use BOTH companies talent! The world's their oyster, why not shuck it?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:50:35 pm »
Yuji Horii can rot. Sakaguchi might be fine, but Horii should never touch the Chrono series again.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:03:55 pm »
Yuji Hori was responsible for the Marle Paradox, is that right Zeality? I.e., an inappropriate use of the Grandfather Paradox considering the rest of the game's time traveling mechanics?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:22:57 pm by FaustWolf »

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:17:08 pm »
umm... can we get more detail on that?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 07:22:23 pm »
If you're referring to my post Sora, Marle's disappearance shortly after Crono arrives in 600 AD.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:51 pm »
If you're referring to my post Sora, Marle's disappearance shortly after Crono arrives in 600 AD.
"an inappropriate use of the Grandfather Paradox considering the rest of the game's time traveling mechanics?" = ???

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »
The Chrono Compendium is a site in addition to its forums!

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Articles.html
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Plot_Inconsistencies.html
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Principles_of_Time_and_Dimensional_Travel.html

Chrono'99 will be delighted to see that quip essentially get used again.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 07:43:49 pm »
Wow, I'm still in awe at the sheer depth to which the series has been dissected here. Guess that answers my question then. It's amazing how intra-business politics can determine how a plotline flows; scenarios should definitely be handled by the same person for consistency. Or at least, there should be some review process for consistency...