Author Topic: Another "interesting" theory  (Read 5678 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Another "interesting" theory
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 09:22:39 pm »
Quote from: ChronoMagus
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer

I disagree with your last assertion. Every change to a living thing, since the first self-replicating strands of DNA, has been a mutation. That a trait results from a mutation does not mean that it logically follows that it must fade out of the genome in time. Hair at all was a result of a series of mutations, but there have been hair-growing animals for ~70 million years.

Humans have been losing hair...  we have no need for it.  Hair was created so we could survive incredible cold, but the ice age has been over for a good while now.  Humans have no use for the obscene amounts of hair that our homonid and greater ape cousins had.  Wisdom teeth is another trait that will eventually be taken out of the gene pool.  We have no use for those miserable teeth, while our primitive brethern needed them for eating raw meat.  Some of our organs are becoming useless, due to the fact they were designed to counter bacteria and toxins that are no longer a problem with our current food.

-On hair: You are incorrect. Head hair blocks out UV rays, thus preventing skin cancer. Neccisary.
-Wisdom teeth: You are correct. We are slowly losing these. I was born with only 3; hopefully my children will be born with even fewer. However, they were not for eating raw meat. Wisdom teeth are molars, they are meant for eating plant matter.
-Organs: You refer to the apendix. It is indeed vestigial. We still use pretty much everything else though.