Author Topic: Another "interesting" theory  (Read 5696 times)

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Another "interesting" theory
« on: November 20, 2004, 03:14:36 am »
At GameFAQs, there has been posted, yet another theory. Providing the theories—and the link, of course—to help form counter-arguments. This should further our understanding of what it is we study, as any endeavor we choose to pursue.

I now present—without any further ado on my part—the theories.

This may have been brought up before, but in 65 000 000 BC, there are two tribes, the Ioka, and the Laruba.
The laruba have Blue hair. When you talk to one of them in their burned village, she/he says that he had a red rock but it made him feel funny so he threw it away, or something like that. Could it be that the laruba were the foundation for the Zeal royal family?
They may have gained intellegence, or magic from the dream stones. THis is supported by the fact that the Nu speaks perfectly when he holds the red rock, but when he gives it to you he speaks like an idiot.

There is some reason to all of this—as far as the Ioka/Laruba point—however, some points are quite absurd. Such as his suggestion that dreamstone was the primary cause for the evolution. Dreamstone! What's more, this was posted on the Chrono Cross board!

Of course, a few replies later, another—quite similar— theory was posted by another pondering fan.

Yay! Someone else has the same theory as me!

Anyway, the Nu in the Laruban ruins gave you the Silver Rock, which therefore can't be Dreamstone.

Aside from that, your theory matches mine nicely.

Larubans: Blue/purple hair.
Iokans: Brown hair.

Zealans: Blue/purple hair.
Earthbound: Brown hair.

Now, over 64,088,000 years, one would expect enough diffusion that that would be evidence of jack and squat. However, this is a Japanese video game, and stuff like hair color tends to mean stuff, I'm told. I therefore rule out coincidence.

Second point: The Larubans were always hiding themselves while the Iokans were the warrior types.

The Zealans probably raised their lands not only for the superiority factor but as prevention of an uprising.

I admit this particular connection is tenuous, but it could work.

Third point: The Larubans could tame the Dactyls. This implies an affinity with the natural world and/or latent magical talent. Either would be conducive to learning the secrets of a magical stone.

So my theory is thus:

The Larubans found out they could channel magical energies through the Dreamstone, harnessed those energies, and eventually refined them to the point where they were a race of skilled mages.

The Iokans, a warrior tribe, would fear such a thing, and woudl likely try to lash out and eliminate this percieved threat. After all, with magic, strength becomes irrelevant, and remaining hidden won't stop them from carrying out attacks with magic.

Eventually, at a point probably far closer to 12kBC than to 65MBC, the Larubans grow powerful enough and skilled enough to raise masses of land into the sky indefinitely (q.v. Netheril). Here, they establish their kingdom, and rename it after their royal dynasty, Zeal.

At some indeterminate point, which may be before or after the above paragraph, they grow arrogant enough to presume superiority over the Iokans, and once they levitate their lands, they can literally look down on their former neighbors and call them "earthbound".

This is the theory as I have developed it. Interestingly, I originally had this idea in a theory I had about Lavos itself, back in the pre-CC days. This sort of spun off of part of that, and over time, grew refined to what you see above.

First off, I am glad to see that he addresses the Nu/Red Rock point, as it was a rather moot point. I am also intrigued by the hair color notion, which—ridiculous as it may sound—has proven true time and time again.

It does, sadly, seem to completely ignore the existence of the Frozen Flame.

Code: [Select]
"GameFAQs General Message List." CJayC. 16 November 2004. CNET Networks. 19 November 2004. <http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=24058&topic=17544357>.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:57:44 pm »
Yeah, this idea was posted on the CT/RD/CC/CB thread, and used in the first Laruba encyclopedia entry; it simply has never had any official placement in the Analysis until now.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 11:18:27 pm »
Somehow I don't think many people bother to consider that Zeal didn't just suddenly appear -- it would have to go through all the stages of technological development that we've been through and then some to get where they are.  The kingdom of Zeal in the form it takes in 12KB.C. was not the majority of the kingdom's history -- the government had to last long enough to develop the technology to get to that point.  In effect, what we know as Zeal could have had a hundred-thousand year history before Lavos destroyed it.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 11:59:30 pm »
This is an interesting theory, one I haven't heard yet. My thoughts:

Larubans: Blue/purple hair.
Iokans: Brown hair.

Zealans: Blue/purple hair.
Earthbound: Brown hair.

Now, over 64,088,000 years, one would expect enough diffusion that that would be evidence of jack and squat. However, this is a Japanese video game, and stuff like hair color tends to mean stuff, I'm told. I therefore rule out coincidence.

While interesting, I don't think there's a whole lot that can be said about this. Also remember that not all Zealians have blue/purple hair. As far as I can remember, outside of Janus, the only Zealians with such colour are the women.

The Larubans found out they could channel magical energies through the Dreamstone, harnessed those energies, and eventually refined them to the point where they were a race of skilled mages.

The Iokans, a warrior tribe, would fear such a thing, and woudl likely try to lash out and eliminate this percieved threat. After all, with magic, strength becomes irrelevant, and remaining hidden won't stop them from carrying out attacks with magic.

Eventually, at a point probably far closer to 12kBC than to 65MBC, the Larubans grow powerful enough and skilled enough to raise masses of land into the sky indefinitely (q.v. Netheril). Here, they establish their kingdom, and rename it after their royal dynasty, Zeal.

At some indeterminate point, which may be before or after the above paragraph, they grow arrogant enough to presume superiority over the Iokans, and once they levitate their lands, they can literally look down on their former neighbors and call them "earthbound".

One should remember where Crono & Co got their dreamstone from - Ayla. I don't there's any evidence to suggest one tribe possessed it and learned to manipulate its properties whereas the other failed to do so. I would definately contest the fact that magic makes strength irrelevant, however. In virtually every game I can think of, physical attacks and technique easily rival magic - and no matter how powerful a mage gets, they're still mortal; a knife to the back kills them all the same.

Anyway, this is all very interesting. I still like my idea of the Zealian/Earthbound distinction arising from natural disparities in wealth (dreamstone), but this is a neat way of using specific peoples and places in the series.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 12:47:15 am »
Then again, doesn't the royal family dye their hair blue?

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 11:20:38 pm »
Quote from: Leebot
Then again, doesn't the royal family dye their hair blue?

Is this old chestnut still out there!?  I see this getting banded about all the time, despite the fact that there's absolutely nothing, zilch, zero to back it.  No in-game quote, no reference in the instruction manual, no mention in any guide that I've never seen, nada.  It's been suggested that some quote to this effect was inserted into the game when it was ported to the PSX, but how likely is that, really?  I've been told that the text in the Japanese PSX port is identical to that which appeared on the SNES cartridge, just as it is on this side of the Pacific.  So... unless something else comes along, can we let this die?

Sorry, but for some reason, this bugs me even more than Ghetz's Shirt. :x

Oh, and Leebot, this is totally NOT directed at you personally!!!

OdF

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 11:50:20 pm »
I believe it was originally a theory used to explain why Schala's hair turned blonde in CC, but it's just a theory. If you have a better theory for the discrepency, I'll gladly listen.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 12:41:21 am »
Just asked a Japanese friend of mine. He's played the Japanese version some 15 times, and doesn't think there was anything suggesting they dye their hair in the game, and says there was nothing indicating that in the Japanese guidebook, either.

Oswego del Fuego

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/moon/dandymasher/schala.html
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 08:15:18 pm »
Quote from: Leebot
I believe it was originally a theory used to explain why Schala's hair turned blonde in CC, but it's just a theory. If you have a better theory for the discrepency, I'll gladly listen.

What I'm reacting to so negatively is the assertion (not made by you, but made quite frequently) that there was some tidbit to this affect actually inserted into the PSX rerelease of Chrono Trigger.  It's a totally bogus statement, but it is most often cited as the origin of the theory you brought up.

I'm not saying that it's unreasonable to assert that Schala's blue hair was the result of a dye-job.  In fact, I'd say it's a perfectly fine explanation.  It just bugs me that this theory originally came about because of a false claim concerning the Japanese rerelease.  (And I'm sure that it did, because I never saw anyone discuss the hair issue until after it got around that some new information had been added to the rerelease.)

Sorry, I guess I shot off at the mouth a little.  Like I say, my rant wasn't directed at you personally in any way.

OdF

Crono_Maniac

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:11:23 pm »
It does, sadly, seem to completely ignore the existence of the Frozen Flame.

I do believe that Lavos hadn't landed yet in 65,000,000 BC.  That is why the theory ignores it.  I simply believe the Frozen Flame was found around Zeal's uprising.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 06:18:29 pm »
Exactly. The Frozen Flame wasn't discovered until 30,000,000 BC at the earliest.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 12:56:03 am »
I think you mean 3,000,000BC.

Well, It is most likely that no one was advanced till 3,000,000BC, but It would make sence if the Laruban's were the ancestors of the Zeal Blood line, that would give an insight on why they of all people have blue/purple hair. Otherwise it would seem closer as to Ayla and Kino being the ancestors of The Zeal Blood line directly.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 05:38:43 am »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
Exactly. The Frozen Flame wasn't discovered until 30,000,000 BC at the earliest.

CC only states that there is 3,000,000 years of evolution between the last prehistoric humans and the first modern humans, not that it precisely began in 3,000,000 BC.
  A brain that has developed abnormally
   to 3 times the original size in the
   span of 3 million years...

For all we know, the prehistoric humans could have began to abnormally evolve in 65,000,000 BC and became fully modern humans in 62,000,000 BC.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 07:34:39 am »
Yes, But that quote makes it seem as if they're refering to the past 3 million years, because they compared it to other people's brains at the time when that happened, I think. Because if the FF was found any earlier, than Zeal would have been created earlier too. But as we know it, whoever found the FF got it then lost it, and they continued to evolve to the Enlightened ones. Queen Zeal then did something that made Zeal really great, and they found the FF and built the Mammon Machine also with some Dream Stone that was passed down.

Namara

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:50 pm »
I've had this theory before about the Larubans evolving into the Zealians, but we can't know for sure, especially since not everyone in Zeal had blue hair.  It is a theory to consider seeing as how none of the Earthbound people had blue hair.  The theory though about the blue haired Larubans claiming to be superior reminds me of that old Dr. Seuss book about the Sneetches and their starred bellies. :P  The two tribes probably had some intermingling before they separated themselves though.  I mean 65 million years is a long time for the tribes to stay separated, especially since brown hair isn't exclusive to the Earthbound tribe.

The quote was most likely refering to the past 3 million years, but I'm probably wrong.  There's no real indication that I saw suggesting that it was the case.  It makes more sense for the people to take 2,988,000 years to evolve magic and become air