Author Topic: *Explosion and loud clanging noises  (Read 5305 times)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
*Explosion and loud clanging noises
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:08:08 am »
 *comes out of the lab/garage, covered in suite.

Yes, well...     over the course of the last few days, I started something that was brewing in my head for awhile... It started one day when I was thinking about Lavos shell and his weakness... then it hit me: Lavos would make an excellent boss in a shootemup! Then I started tooling with the idea of piloting the Epoch, and making powerups different characters...

=Chrono Beat=

So far it isn't much. One stage, three weak kinds of enemies, and four out of seven powerups. Still, the powerups have some interesting effects. check it out.

http://www.geocities.com/ssjlink1/Chronobeatdemo2.zip (Windows!)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: *Explosion and loud clanging noises
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:22:57 pm »
EVERYONE MUST TRY CHRONOBEAT NOW!!

Excellent, excellent work Captain B!

JCE3000GT

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:20:09 pm »
Wow, that is quite good.  Nice work.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:49:53 pm »
God I suck at this, score: 70100.

I must say vary well done Captain B.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 02:41:41 pm »
this is really cool!
but, i have some gripes.

1) most power ups suck except frogs

2)wheres my magus power up? he could fire dark-matter triangles

3) needs a boss.

also, cool avi/sig. old school link ^w^

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 01:04:06 am »
   Magus is comin. He, Ayla, and Robo have yet to be worked on, but Magus's main gun is not Dark Matter. Nobody's crush attacks are implemented yet (You know how like every other shooter out there has bombs you can collect and you usually start with three of them or something and they take out all enemies on the screen? crush attacks are the exact same thing.) For a main gun Magus uses something like the gravity bombs from the Gradius series.  Robo launches homing missiles, and Ayla works like a reflex ring weapon (you'll see)

As for your weapons gripe, you're probably not paying enough attention to how they all work.  Lucca's fireball is the fastest and easiest to use, also the default bullet weapon. Marle's crystal has a very wide hit box, and will mow through several enemies at once, sacrificing a rate of fire. shoot it where enemies cluster or are arranged somewhat in a vertical line. Frog's bubble weapon is essentially the Chrono Beat response to Ripple Laser. It only works best at the full distance of the screen. Not recommended at all for close quarters. Crono's weapon IS a laser, or behaves like it. sweep left and right with it and hold down the button to get the most out of it.

As for bosses, no worries mate. There. Will be. Bosses. ;).

unfortunately, all I can think of for 600 AD is Zombor. I mean if I used Ozzie, it would look like he's actually worth a damn, and if I used Slash, gotta use Flea. Yakra... eh...

1000 AD boss is a simplified form of Heckran. This will eventually be the first stage, so something like absorbing your hits for a water wave attack will have to be tossed. Maybe just him shielding his body and being invulnerable at that time.

600 AD we already discussed. Stage 2 btw (also demo stage :P)

2300 AD represents stage 3, but this is the first stage that isn't an overworld map. Rather it's a large factory. Mother Brain awaits, and comes armed to the teeth. Take her guns out, then focus on the CPU blocks in the back

Prehistoric Caverns in stage 4! A tour of times long past leads from caves to a large castle hallway, and a Black Tyrano. Shoot him in the mouth.

stage 5 is everyone's favorite time period, "That one Schala is from and Crono dies in". Ascending a canyon of Mount Whoadude (I thought it was funny... T_T), you'll come face to face with Giga Gaia, the craziest funniest looking face in the game. Just like originally, Shoot his hands to destroy them.

stage 6 is a bit of a break from manic waves of enemies. Instead, you get to tear apart the blackbird, ala a Battleship stage in R-type! Dodge exhaust, guns, lasers, and enemy spewing hatches. When the core of the craft appears, panels will constantly open and repair shooting at you. just concentrate on taking out the core.

Notice we're still in the Dark Ages? we're close to the end. stage 7 takes us to the fortress at long last! The Black Dream. With several minibosses, including a watered down version of every boss you've faced so far sans Blackbird (hey you gotta fight them ALL, you'll appreciate it). The Beautiful yet deadly fortress houses the mammon Machine, and Zeal Omen. Don't rest yet Soldier. There's one last thing we have to do.

1999 AD. The world is in crisis. creatures are coming out of portals on the ground and dropping craft like flies. The world is actively at war with Lavos. Navigate a city and find Lavos. In almost exactly the procession of the RPG, you'll go through all three forms. the outside (Shoot when the eye is open!), the inside (destroy the arms!) and a final battle where Lavos is protected by two pods. Destroy them, and prepare yourself for a barrage of evil.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:19:08 am by Captain B »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:41 am »
Not sure if it's a glitch or not but if you have Crono's laser and stick on the very bottom of the screen, you can hold the file botton and use left or right and it'll move the laser, not you.  Do you could sit on the bottom and just mow then down ._.

Sora

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • The Terror Of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »
   Magus is comin. He, Ayla, and Robo have yet to be worked on, but Magus's main gun is not Dark Matter. Nobody's crush attacks are implemented yet (You know how like every other shooter out there has bombs you can collect and you usually start with three of them or something and they take out all enemies on the screen? crush attacks are the exact same thing.) For a main gun Magus uses something like the gravity bombs from the Gradius series.  Robo launches homing missiles, and Ayla works like a reflex ring weapon (you'll see)

As for your weapons gripe, you're probably not paying enough attention to how they all work.  Lucca's fireball is the fastest and easiest to use, also the default bullet weapon. Marle's crystal has a very wide hit box, and will mow through several enemies at once, sacrificing a rate of fire. shoot it where enemies cluster or are arranged somewhat in a vertical line. Frog's bubble weapon is essentially the Chrono Beat response to Ripple Laser. It only works best at the full distance of the screen. Not recommended at all for close quarters. Crono's weapon IS a laser, or behaves like it. sweep left and right with it and hold down the button to get the most out of it.

As for bosses, no worries mate. There. Will be. Bosses. ;).

unfortunately, all I can think of for 600 AD is Zombor. I mean if I used Ozzie, it would look like he's actually worth a damn, and if I used Slash, gotta use Flea. Yakra... eh...

1000 AD boss is a simplified form of Heckran. This will eventually be the first stage, so something like absorbing your hits for a water wave attack will have to be tossed. Maybe just him shielding his body and being invulnerable at that time.

600 AD we already discussed. Stage 2 btw (also demo stage :P)

2300 AD represents stage 3, but this is the first stage that isn't an overworld map. Rather it's a large factory. Mother Brain awaits, and comes armed to the teeth. Take her guns out, then focus on the CPU blocks in the back

Prehistoric Caverns in stage 4! A tour of times long past leads from caves to a large castle hallway, and a Black Tyrano. Shoot him in the mouth.

stage 5 is everyone's favorite time period, "That one Schala is from and Crono dies in". Ascending a canyon of Mount Whoadude (I thought it was funny... T_T), you'll come face to face with Giga Gaia, the craziest funniest looking face in the game. Just like originally, Shoot his hands to destroy them.

stage 6 is a bit of a break from manic waves of enemies. Instead, you get to tear apart the blackbird, ala a Battleship stage in R-type! Dodge exhaust, guns, lasers, and enemy spewing hatches. When the core of the craft appears, panels will constantly open and repair shooting at you. just concentrate on taking out the core.

Notice we're still in the Dark Ages? we're close to the end. stage 7 takes us to the fortress at long last! The Black Dream. With several minibosses, including a watered down version of every boss you've faced so far sans Blackbird (hey you gotta fight them ALL, you'll appreciate it). The Beautiful yet deadly fortress houses the mammon Machine, and Zeal Omen. Don't rest yet Soldier. There's one last thing we have to do.

1999 AD. The world is in crisis. creatures are coming out of portals on the ground and dropping craft like flies. The world is actively at war with Lavos. Navigate a city and find Lavos. In almost exactly the procession of the RPG, you'll go through all three forms. the outside (Shoot when the eye is open!), the inside (destroy the arms!) and a final battle where Lavos is protected by two pods. Destroy them, and prepare yourself for a barrage of evil.
thats all good, but mabe you should make it so if i collect 2 Cronos i get a bigger laser. also, you need to increase the firing width range, or at least give us some Options. i always felt like i had to be right under the enemy to attack it, than again, i AM use to playing Bullet Hells.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 04:37:20 pm »
Why not just fight Ozzie, flea, and slash all together? Three mini-bosses in one, just like the shoot the arm levels.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:45:15 pm »
1: the laser can shoot diagonally yes. it's not mapped to Epoch's movement. I can't really pull off otherwise. Consider it a free glitch. like that pause trick in Megaman 1.

2: Upgrades are something I did consider for quite awhile. But keep in mind there are 7 different weapons in the end. I know exactly what you're thinking, with the power levels belonging to the epoch and effecting the weapons (if you have a level 2 fireball and grab crono, go straight to level 2 thunder), but upgrading would be way too easy with the marles and luccas floating around, and 21 different ways to attack is just a little overkill, imo.

3: Lazy programmer. lol, not really. Actually, since the middle age is only stage 2, giving multiple enemies for a boss would be just a little to advanced and unique for an early stage. However, you have given me an idea. In between Prehistoria and the Dark Ages I could set up a return to the middle ages to take care of the Magus Castle (not containing Magus). At this point near the center of the game, such a boss will be much more appropriate.

Deus Chisa

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Ph'nglui mglwnafh Yukari Mayohiga wgah'nagl fthagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 11:11:05 pm »
The princess's newest sacrifice approves.  Here's looking forward to the full version.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 03:23:04 am »
 I've added two strong medieval enemies. One is nagaette, who  fires three shots in three directions before continuing down. The other is Ogan. He'll smack his hammer down and create a shower of bullets in all directions.

I've also added the homing missile of Robo. This eventually led to a change in how the game scrolls, and the Crono laser's glitch is now altered to the point that it is almost useless.     Ayla runs through enemies like a boomerang, she's also been added to the roster.

I guess this only leaves one person, huh? ;)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 12:13:48 am »
Should I post that WIP to the Fan Projects section?

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 07:37:52 pm »
Is a copy of the source code available?

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 11:10:23 pm »