Author Topic: Lavos Dome Director Mystery!  (Read 2402 times)

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
Lavos Dome Director Mystery!
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:09:52 am »
Ok well I'm replaying Chrono Trigger. I've gotten to the end of the game and wanted to see what would happen if I lost to Lavos in the final battle. What I saw was this cutscene know as the Day of Lavos. Anyway I was reading what they said and noticed that the Dome Director knew Lavos's name but he waited to say the name in front of the operators and then is presumably killed by the falling rocks...now I don't know if anybody except for the Gurus, Zealianites, Prehistoric people, and the Chrono Trigger party knew who or what Lavos meant.

(The Day of Lavos Linkage)

What do you guys think about this?

And....

Who is this mystery man who knows the name of Lavos?

My guess:Toma XXXXVI lol

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos Dome Director Mystery!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:11:45 pm »
I think eventually, even without the heroes' intervention, the Mystics and humans would have gotten along and shared various magics. Even if not, by that time Lavos was all hopped up on the planet's energy, so whoever had magic would have sensed some bad shit was about to go down and alerted folks of the doomsday coming up. Science would have investigated into the situation, found proof, and had domes built just in case.

They call it Lavos because that's what the Mystics called it, even in 1000 A.D. Our heroes just aren't into studying the old wars of 400 years ago or they'd know OF Lavos.

Lavodox

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ignorance is to be whipped. -Franziska Von Karma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:51:42 pm »
What a brilliant deduction...

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Also, there were a lot of earthquakes popping up around 1000 AD before the heroes started their adventure. Even without magic or science, folks could probably tell something was about to go down when the earth starts rumbling like it's giving birth to a giant space hedgehog.

Nickolz

• Porrean (+50)
  • Dreambender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:07:15 pm »
I think eventually, even without the heroes' intervention, the Mystics and humans would have gotten along and shared various magics. Even if not, by that time Lavos was all hopped up on the planet's energy, so whoever had magic would have sensed some bad shit was about to go down and alerted folks of the doomsday coming up. Science would have investigated into the situation, found proof, and had domes built just in case.

They call it Lavos because that's what the Mystics called it, even in 1000 A.D. Our heroes just aren't into studying the old wars of 400 years ago or they'd know OF Lavos.

Partially agreeing with maggiekarp, I believe science (geological studies or whatever else) may have proven the existence of Lavos for humans. About the mysteriously mysterious Mr. Director knowing his name, cultural exchanges with the Mystics would be quite a good answer.

But I got another theory too. The computer in Arris Dome, which shows The Day of Lavos, also has information about gates and where to find one. Such information might have been put there by Belthasar or somebody else after the apocalypse. But it might also have been introduced before it, and that's my point.

If the people in 1999 knew what was the gate and how to use it, then they probably managed to travel through time. Thus, it's not impossible that they had discovered (or just learned more) about Lavos using time travel.

Radox Redux

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:23 am »
It's obvious that the name Lavos entered the human knowledge since it was on the 'Day of Lavos' report. As for why they didn't do anything? Well, I'd say that it was regarded as perhaps more of a legend than anything else. I seriously doubt that the people in the bad future 1999 AD knew anything about Time-Travel though. Even if they knew the gate was there and about what it was for... I doubt they had any way to access it. We don't see a single hint in the entire game that anybody from 1999 has ever time-travelled. So I'd say it was doubtful at best.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 12:31:40 pm »
Note that the Arris Director is an ancestor of Doan, as stated by the latter, who's a descendant of Marle. Obviously it's not the reason why the Arris Director knows of Lavos (too much paradoxes), but it's an interesting tidbit.

Leene's Square is also located near or in Arris Dome in Chrono Cross (the name of the dome is given when you use the Station Pass key item).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 12:34:19 pm by Chrono'99 »

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:02:31 am »
YATTA my thread lives!

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:53:33 am »
You can't be sure that guy said that. It said "Lavos..." Without a name in front of it, unlike the other messages. Maybe it was merely the game itself.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:02:45 pm »
You can't be sure that guy said that. It said "Lavos..." Without a name in front of it, unlike the other messages. Maybe it was merely the game itself.
I sure it was the director, no other time in the game is there a disembodied speaking. I also doubt this is the exception.

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:01:39 am »
I sure it was the director, no other time in the game is there a disembodied speaking. I also doubt this is the exception.

Yeah for real, although it was a nice theory, I personally thought that it did not have a name in front of the text because there was nobody else except for the director in the room.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 12:07:41 pm »
What about the "Lavos..." line when you choose to fight Lavos? I always thought that was said by the game itself, not by one of the characters.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 11:22:26 pm »
...Why would the game need to remind you that it's Lavos?

Although I'm reminded of what I originally thought on losing the game. When three of the timegang died, the rest decided not to bother fighting and tried to pass down the story to save as many lives as possible. Might be a bit bleak, though.