Poll

Rate Van on a scale of A (best) to D (worst).

A
0 (0%)
B
0 (0%)
C
7 (77.8%)
D
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: November 13, 2007, 03:02:39 am

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 42: Van  (Read 4231 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 42: Van
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:39 am »
Evaluate Van based on his character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much he strikes you as cool to how important he is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Van.html

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:07:23 pm by ZeaLitY »

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 41: Van
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:51:52 am »
Design: He looks snotty

Battle: Nicht so gut

Tilt: Oh, I don't like Van... His father's a cool artist, but Van goes around hitting monsters with a piggy-bank...  The contrast between his Home World and Another World family is interesting, but that doesn't make Home-world Van a likeable character.

D

kritterpher

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 02:28:20 pm »
design: i thought that he had a good story, trying to get money for his dad.

combat: his attacks were not very memorable.   

tilt: i think he should have been a side character that gives you something cool if you give him like 100,000 gold.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 02:46:17 pm »
Character Design: He frowns a lot, but he has a solid taste in clothes and his frowning is chalked up to his poor childhood, which is easily understandable.

Combat Usefulness: He has a very interesting technique able to colour the field randomly, but as with many people I don't think I ever actually used him.

Tilt: He's probably one of the few actually interesting character studies when it comes to his alternates. In one he's a poor child desperately trying to paint for a living to survive. In the other he's a bored rich kid desperately hoping for some action of some sort. In both he has a strained relationship with his father. Fact is, Van had a huge amount of potential as a character.

Unfortunately, he suffered from the same syndrome everyone else suffered: too little time in the spotlight, not enough connection with the main story. It really is too bad, too, because he's a great potential character. If only something more had been done with him...

Final Grade: C.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:04:51 pm »
He does look like me, so he gets a C by default.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:21:24 pm »
Design: Nice

Combat: No clue

Tilt: Potential... as an NPC.

C

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:04:29 pm »
Character Design - Besides the giant bow in the front, I actually kind of like Van's design...Though, again, his concept art has him looking much cooler (despite the fact that the giant bow is still there)...Probably because he looks a touch older, which I think he should have been.

Combat Usefulness - Hey! A BOOMERANG! That's a unique weapon! Not many RPGs (outside of the Dragon Quest series and Phantasy Star IV) even USE boomerangs! Sweet! Only two people in the GAME use it actually...unfortunately, Van is the cooler of the two (though the other, Mel, has a stealing Tech)...His first Tech, JumpThrow, is as basic as it's name implies. His second Tech, WetPaint, is TECHnicolor madness. And his third Tech, PiggyBoink, kinda sucks...plus, if things don't go so well, you can BREAK THE BANK! Dun dun dun! Why does Van risk losing his savings in battle like that?

Tilt Factor - The whole Van and his father Gogh name pun lameness is stupid...It actually makes me end up liking his original name..."Vancliff/Bancliff" (which is similarly, but not quite as, stupid). Also, as far as his character goes, he's kind of boring. His mom died and he & his dad are struggling. He has one of the cooler Home World/Another World version confrontations though since his problems in both worlds are kind of opposing, but similar...but not enough is ever explored to make him a worthwhile character.

Final Grade - C

EDIT: ACK! Voting closed! V_V Oh well, it looks like he was an overall C anyways...*shrugs*
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:06:35 pm by V_Translanka »