Author Topic: Foolish debate within my class lecture hall  (Read 814 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
Foolish debate within my class lecture hall
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:52 pm »
Yesterday afternoon, my communications professor in my Media and Society class proposed this idea to begin class (daily regular debate to get our neurotransmitters cooking) which eventually ended on the exact same note... we dicussed the following situation for approximately 1 hour and  45minutes:

The Scenario - Basically there was an all-night restaurant noted for its eclectic greasy food. The restuarant is apparently a hangout for cops, pimps, hookers, drug dealers, and college sutdents. A local cable television producer wants to mount a T.V. camera atop a metal pole across the street from the all-night restaurant. If I remember correctly, the camera is within a steel case with bullet-proof glass protecting the lens (don't ask) and it will aim down at the sidewalk immediately below it. The camera will not be aimed at the restaurant or its patrons. So, moving along, my professor then spiced it up a bit by adding a "yellow box" painted on the sidewalk. There is a sign on the pole that says "Do not step inside the yellow box if you do not want to be on live TV." And there is also a microphone that hangs on the pole to pick up audio from the street. The producers idea is to turn on the camera at 2:00am each night and televise, unedited, whatever happens on the street. The camera would be turned off at 4:00am.

Coming back together now, we were told to make groups of 5+ individuals and identify 4 constitiuencies who could conceivably have a position on whether or not this proposal is a good idea, take a position on what we thought might happen under this proposal, identify 3 stakeholders who may have positions opposing our own positions, list arguments to rebut these potential opposing positions, etc... (Of course there is no right or wrong answer, he informed us) Duh!!

I would really like to know your take on this. Is it a good idea? Do you think there is really anything to gain from something so odd?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:29:41 pm by Magus22 »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: Foolish debate within my class lecture hall
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:21:36 pm »
No. Late night television is for infomercials only. Who wants to see what happens on a street for 2 hours?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:23:08 pm »
I'd make sure to put some cardboard down in front of the camera. Then we'd get to see some awesome break dancing!

But in all honesty, I bet there'd just be a bunch of moonings.

Flash of Green

• Earthbound (+15)
  • What lies in the furthest reaches of one's memory?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 05:11:37 pm »
What?  I'd get up at 2 A.M. and just rant about random stuff on that there tv.

I'd call it

Flash's Hour of Power.

Awesome.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 02:49:06 am »
Interesting...I'd object if this was done by the police or what have you, since such systems really don't work at all(just look at the statistics for the British system to see how much of a waste of money AND an invasion of privacy it is) but given that it is done by the private media...you know, so long as no one who owns any place nearby objects and they respect the privacy of the restaurant and the local government is fine with it, it's okay with me. I don't really have an opinion either way.