Poll

Rate Turnip on a scale of A (best) to D (worst).

A
2 (20%)
B
3 (30%)
C
2 (20%)
D
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: November 09, 2007, 02:31:52 am

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 41: Turnip  (Read 8162 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 41: Turnip
« on: November 07, 2007, 02:31:52 am »
Evaluate Turnip based on his character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much he strikes you as cool to how important he is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Turnip.html

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:07:14 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 40: Turnip
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 02:34:42 am »
Design: Turnip has this cute duck-bill thing going on. It's a unique design and he looks spirited enough to actually be relevant (unlike Neo-Fio).

Combat: It's nothing radical, but he does get funny tech names and a double tech.

Tilt: Kato hinged the entire ending of Cross to suggest that there's a "Kid" or equivalent out there for all of us (and perhaps by extension, we should all dream and change our own history as Chrono Triggers). Of course, this completely backfired, as pretty much everyone interpreted it as canonical and those who guessed that it really was Tokyo weren't any closer to getting the theme.

But Turnip is the opposite: he's a thematic gesture done right. Taking him to the sleeping Dragoon sparks insightful dialogue and pondering. Turnip becomes something special as a dream being, and it's such an attractive concept (coupled with that design) that Ill give him an A. Masa, Mune, and Doreen were interesting too, but Toriyama made them butt-ugly alien ripoffs.

So, let this thread begin. I can't wait to hear all the Ds from the people who never saw this scene or just have it out for Chrono Cross.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:20:04 am »
Character Design: Wow! Is that cool or what? His design just screams 'Frog' to me so much, that it really makes me wonder sometimes at why some people are just mind-numbingly blinded to one of the coolest throwbacks to Trigger in the first place. I guess ZeaLitY's right... they just have it in for Cross so much, that they prefer to be 'fanboys' about it and would much rather ignore or try to disregard something that could 'potentially' hurt their favorite game in some way than actually recognizing the amazingly beautiful and true homeage.

Combat Usefulness: He's more than a both, a decent fighter and caster with fairly good stat values, making him a great balanecd character to use. He's another sword user which also happens to be a green innate (Exactly like Glenn... coincidence? I don't think so), which I suppose is only to be expected from a 'being' dreaming that he's a plant. And his Techs also reflect this very much so, as they all involve plant-ish related stuff. Also, has a cool double tech with NeoFio.

Tilt Factor: A dream actually becoming reality! That's what he stands for in the series... So much coolness and awesomeness could only merit a perfect score.

Final Grade: A

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:36:29 am »
I'm not gonna actually rate the character since I never bothered to get him, but come on. It's bad enough you walk into a town and have everyone join you all willy-nilly, but their vegetables too? Kato really failed at getting his theme across if you have to go this far to get any sort of meaning.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:38:16 am »
Starky sucks. Touché.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:43:01 am »
STARKY WAS CUTE SHUT UP

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 03:44:05 am »
Bleah, doesn't feel equitable now that the Starky battle was fought, yet this one won't be.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:07:45 am »
There were condiment characters in Chrono Trigger (Vinegar, Soyso, Mayonee, etc.), so it's actually a nice variant to have a real foodstuff character join you in Chrono Cross. Ironically, he's not exactly real...well, he's a real...dream.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »
Character Design - A stupid little cutesy...turnip character...? His clothes seem a bit closer to those of the Crono crew (which makes him seem out of place in El Nido).

Combat Usefulness - Wow another SWORD!?! I was just thinking this cast needed another sword-wielder! His Techs are mostly forgettable...Though don't they just have the keeootest names? VegeMight! That oughtta put the fear into the hearts of his enemies...

Tilt Factor - They try to kind of include more of the theme of dreams and reality with Turnip and who he may or may not be in Home World...but it mostly falls flat since they really don't delve into the idea very much. Aside from that he's just another nothing character putting around with Serge for no good reason.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he had one of the most annoying accents EVER!!!

Final Grade - D

P.S. Only four more left!!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:24:10 pm by V_Translanka »

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »
Character Design: His design would be absolutely awesome in a game where all of the characters are based on foodstuffs. As it is, it's still pretty damned good.

Combat Usefulness: I don't recall ever actually using him though.

Tilt: Zeality has a point...the themes he espouses are quite intriguing. Unfortunately the execution is extremely poor...instead of combining it with the main story they dumped the themes into a character most people wouldn't even know existed in the game, let alone how to get him. Furthermore, it isn't expanded upon anywhere near as much as it should have been.,

As a result I cannot fairly rate Turnip highly. Sorry, Zeality, but you're wrong here.

Final Grade: C.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 03:54:10 pm »
Lamers. Turnip is effortlessly better than a bevy of others, like Korcha, Macha, Zoah, Mel, Irenes, Neo-Fio, Luccia, Starky, etc.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 04:34:51 pm »
Lamers. Turnip is effortlessly better than a bevy of others, like Korcha, Macha, Zoah, Mel, Irenes, Neo-Fio, Luccia, Starky, etc.
Yeah, but that's not really saying much.

Blackcaped_imp

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:27:29 pm »
Let the final grades decide if he is lame or not, after all, everything is so relative, opinions do not count at the end of the day, the only thing that counts is the way people can influence you to think about something in some specific way, but you must have your own opinion, and depending of your personality, this threats will change your mind, but a word fight is useless.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 08:20:21 pm »

Why? Because he talks about surrealism in one scene? Even if I weren't to take into account how that's lame...the Tilt Factor for his stupid accent, his stupid Tech names, etc pull him down.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:59:22 pm »
I don't disagree except for POSSIBLY Irenes. The others I agree with you on.

My point stands, however. Fantastic, intriguing themes or no, the execution is far more important, and Turnip fails in that regard.