Author Topic: Lavos, The Red Star!  (Read 7306 times)

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:26:16 pm »
I was wondering about the red star that is said to be Lavos. It seens that Lavo were very huge to be seen from earth in the daylight and yet very far from atmosphere, but theres some people that say that Lavos arrive in the planet as  little spawn.  
I think of a possibity is that the red star is not Lavos reflecting the sun light nor burning in the atmosphere but a red portal like the one that a spawn came from in the Black Omen.
So what is the Compendium opinion in this matter?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 11:30:22 pm »
I'd say that while Lavos itself was a spawn at that point, and not visible, when it was on it's final aproach, the air and debris around it probably ignited, and that was what was visible.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:27:43 am »
Your theory would have to account for the fact that the "Red Star" moves...

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 09:25:45 pm »
Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
I'd say that while Lavos itself was a spawn at that point, and not visible, when it was on it's final aproach, the air and debris around it probably ignited, and that was what was visible.

Quote from: V_Translanka

Your theory would have to account for the fact that the "Red Star" moves...

The problem i see is the distance of the star on you first view, to far from the planet to occur the ignition and withou any type of trail.

And I really only see lavos moving just before hit the ground.

Now if the red star is some sort of space gate, it could indicate a possible planning.

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 10:15:28 pm »
Lavos is clearly shown flying through space and there's nothing to suggest that the "red star" was a red portal. Is it possible? Perhaps. I don't think there's any good evidence to support that idea, though. On the other hand, there's plenty of evidence to suggest what Azla pointed out as the "red star" was indeed Lavos.

Simplest idea wins, right?

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 11:15:55 pm »
Yeah, right when you defeat Azala, you see that cutscreen of Lavos flying through space (with the sad music on).  Yup...I know my CT, alright! :lol:

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 09:40:58 pm »
Yes , there's a scene that show Lavos flying through space but it's alredy near the planet and it begin the red glow before enter the atmosphere so still the doubt about the red glow that came from a small body far from the planet.  
There many examples of use of "gates" to space travel in sci-fi like in the Babilon 5 series.
But i agree that theres few evidences to prove this theory, but it bring attention to the Lavos' landing analyse.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 12:43:34 am »
Personally, I don't think the creators of the game thought it through that deeply when they programmed this scene.  They probably sayed, "Hey, red's a neat color.  Let's color Lavos red!"  There are some things that we really can't critically analyze, you know.

Teflon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:02:25 pm »
Quote from: Peaceman
Personally, I don't think the creators of the game thought it through that deeply when they programmed this scene.  They probably sayed, "Hey, red's a neat color.  Let's color Lavos red!"  There are some things that we really can't critically analyze, you know.

Most of the stuff in the game was just to be cool (such as Lavos's swirly blue background when you fight him) and look what we managed to do with junk like that. :O

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 06:04:32 pm »
Oh please, you can't know that...It's completely obvious that the blue background is some kind of Pocket Dimension...At the very least, it's a better description than "they threw it in cause it's cool". I mean, it's so like the gates it's practically stupid to think otherwise...That's right, BELIEVE ME!!! OR DIE!!! :lol:

I think it's red because of Lavos. Ayla calls Lavos "Big Fire" (basically) and then there's the chunk of Lavos which is the Frozen Flame. ie, it's safe to assume (and plus we see him at various points), Lavos appears to be at least partially red. Also, with whatever atmosphere Chronoworld may have, it's safe to assume that Lavos would twinkle and shine, much like any other star. He IS moving through space at incredulous speed, right? Perhaps there's something there that I can't really go into because I don't know everything, but I don't see anything in game that points to it ever being a gate.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 09:43:50 pm »
At least in CT, Lavos is gray, but in some scene like when it is rising from magma (1999 A.D) it's is red just because of the color of the magma.
Beside a huge red gate perhaps Lavos travel the space inside a some sort of cocoon made whith a red material that became the flame.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 07:46:59 pm »
I have an idea.  Maybe it's an immature form of Lavos, ie the phase after Lavos Spawn, but before the Lavos that you face.  Maybe after Lavos absorbs the planet's energy, he also changes color.  It's sort of like beetles, when their in adult form, but still in the ground gaining strength for the outside world.  There aren't any blatant contradictions to this within the game, so I think it's pretty plausible. :o

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 07:56:56 pm »
Lavos would make a red glow just like anything else when it enters the atmosphere.  We know that CT takes place on some version of Earth, as it is repeatedly referred to as such, including as a noun by the residents of Zeal.  That doesn't make it our Earth from a geopolitical standpoint, but from a physical angle it certainly does.

However, what's truly interesting is that Lavos glows red when he's hurtling through space and there's no Earth anywhere in sight.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 09:14:25 am »
Maybe Lavos glows red because he had to bomb himself or explode the whole planet he comes from, in order to reach outer space. That could be possible, since he doesn't have wings or anything like that...

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Lavos, The Red Star!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 05:34:02 pm »
You have a point there, but then I wonder when Lavos was planning to blow up Earth?  :?: