Poll

Rate Starky on a scale of A (best) to D (worst)

A
5 (26.3%)
B
4 (21.1%)
C
4 (21.1%)
D
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 39: Starky  (Read 4331 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 39: Starky
« on: November 02, 2007, 01:06:08 am »
Evaluate Starky based on his character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much he strikes you as cool to how important he is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Starky.html

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 08:06:58 pm by ZeaLitY »

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 38: Starky
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:41:36 am »
Design: oh my god oh my god I WANT ONE OH MAN

Combat Usefulness: I used him every time it didn't totally screw me over element-wise so cute SO CUTE

Tilt: OH MAN HE IS SO FREAKING ADORABLE

B

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12:37 am »
Design: Bastardized Nu.......................more like NO, am I right?

Combat: Oh, he's got those Starman techs, and he makes good use of that gun.

Tilt: Why introduce aliens to the canon of the Chrono world in such a way? Why thrust such a soulless, emotionless bobble-head upon us?

It's the D!

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:34:39 am »
Design: Bastardized Nu.......................more like NO, am I right?

Combat: Oh, he's got those Starman techs, and he makes good use of that gun.

Tilt: Why introduce aliens to the canon of the Chrono world in such a way? Why thrust such a soulless, emotionless bobble-head upon us?

It's the D!
Heretic! He is an adorable example of what we as a specie should strive to be. His combat ability may not be Fantastic, but that never stopped me from using him. We could all learn a thing or two from this Pinnacle of evolution.

Starky:
   Woowzer!
   Out of this world...!
   The liight of the big baang!
   All starts from heere and
   all ends heere...
   What liies beeyond that...?

So true...So true

A

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:26:43 am »
Design: Looks like an Ultraman uniform on a standard grey.

Combat: Meh.

Tilt: A silly side character, needlessly ingrained in the plot of the game. They could have worked things out without him, and better. If there are to be aliens in the Chrono world, let that be important and meaningful, not just a joke character who can build a powerboat.

D

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:22:42 am »
Character Design: For a while I thought he was your bog-standard utterly stupid misunderstanding of biology Grey, but it turns out he's actually some sort of bastardized Nu. Go figure. It's still stupid.

Combat Usefulness: He's a very powerful white element and you can first get him at a time when that's really, REALLY useful. But after that, he's not too great, unless you want a super White team, in which case you can go back to the KKK you racist.

Tilt: Sure, he's adorable, and sure, aliens were already introduced in Chrono Trigger so it's not that unusual(Hi, those of you talking about aliens? Remember Lavos?!) but his purpose was so idiotic...I honestly don't see the point except for the possible seed planted for a future Chrono game in the ending featuring his species. Frankly, he's worthless. A much better way to solve the problem could've been used, and it is just another in the long line of utterly stupid reasons to introduce characters when your main party should figure this stuff out on their own!

Final Grade: D.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:22:41 pm »
Character Design - Stupid looking cutesy alien...although, now that I look at it, it looks like it's got the Pendant on it's chest!

Combat Usefulness - He's one of only TWO characters who uses a GUN! Throwback to Lucca? Well, either way, he's also got a unique weapon, which is pretty cool (though it looks better, or at least hilarious, on Norris). His Techs all involve him calling his big-assed funky robot to deal damage.

Tilt Factor - He reminds me of SuperXtreme Alphacosmos Police Case EX Ultra & The Enigmatic Gigaweapon: Paradise X at the same time. But both of those endings were far better than anything Starky does in the whole of CC. He's mostly a nothing character whom they awkwardly place into fairly big roles at certain points in the game...but he pretty much goes nowhere...He's another NPC turned party member...

Final Grade - D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:25:12 pm by V_Translanka »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:22:27 pm »
Design: So simplistic, a typical little grey alien.

Combat: Used him two or three times. I don't know whether he's worth using or not.

Tilt: He deus ex machinas you into Terra Tower. Bah. I wish they could've come up with something not so quick and convenient (not to mention downright ridiculous). He doesn't do much else, but he gets a little extra credit for being one of the party members you have to fight for.

Final Grade: C