Author Topic: The Black Wind (The Wheel of Time)  (Read 5184 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Black Wind (The Wheel of Time)
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:39 pm »
Yeah, I just read the first book of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series called The Eye of the World and in it there's this thing called the Machin Shin that's also known as the "Black Wind". In the book the Black Wind is a supernatural force that exists in portals through space/time called the Ways. Within the Ways time moves at a faster pace than the natural world. They are seemingly all connected throughout the world and exist on another plane of reality that was created by magic (the tainted male half of the magical order, the Aes Sedai, known as saidin). The Black Wind roams the Ways in darkness hunting unwary travelers. The Black Wind's presence is heralded by the sound of wind (in a place that has none), containing voices that whisper of numerous mutilations such as "Plait the skin, scream your songs, sing your screams".

I know it's not a big deal, but I thought that the release date of the book, 1990, was kind of interesting since it places it before Chrono Trigger's 1995 release...Maybe Kato and/or the rest of the Dream Team (or maybe just Ted? I still haven't checked out the retranslation) are big Wheel of Time fans?? Probably not, since "The Black Wind" is kind of a generic name...but I thought I'd bring it up just for kicks.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Wind (The Wheel of Time)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:37:41 am »
It is an interesting coincidence, but given that Jordan wasn't big on coming up with his own names (Tom Merlin, Shaitan, etc.), his use of the phrase is more of evidence that there is a third unknown source that they both used for inspiration (a document Q, if you will).

As far as the Compendium has discovered, it might be related to an Arabic term. Does anyone know where the compendium got even this information from?

Doing a bit of research, I did find some information on the Anemoi, the Greek gods of wind. A good number of them are personifications of rather dark aspects of the wind. Boreas brought the chilling winter winds and was called "The Devouring One," Notus was a bringing of scorching winds, which destroyed crops, and together the two were greatly feared by sailors. Then there was Kaikias, the northeastern wind. His name is derived from the same root as Kakos, the Greek word for anything bad (literally, ugly, but the Greeks viewed all things evil as ugly and thus it was used for evil men, evil gods, etc). Curiously, the god of the southwestern winds (and thus, brother to Kaikias) was named Livos, which is (probably) coincidentally similar to Lavos. Lavos and the Black Wind are related in the games (or so it seems), Kaikias and Livos are related in mythology. Livos brought the rains that destroyed crops. However, Livos wasn't particular an evil god (he just did not-nice things).

There is also the Wild Hunt which might have some relevance to the Black Wind. In European mythology Odin (and later Charlemagne. Arthur, and others) led a... well, a wild hunt across the earth. This hunting party was usually comprised of the dead or beings closely associated with death and the Wild Hunt was thought to foretell catastrophic events (plague, famine, death, etc). Indeed, it was possible for people caught in the Wild Hunt to be taken along with it (thus, dying). The Wild Hunt was the wind that raced through the trees in the black of night (hence, Black Wind could describe it).

Of course, if we go with older definitions of words, breath, wind, and spirit were nearly synonymous. "Black Wind" could mean any dark spirit or force. We might liken "the Black Wind" to the Angel of Death, for example, or to the wind that brings plague (as it is associated with Apollo).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:32:56 pm by Thought »

twoinone

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:52:55 am »
in some chinese cultures seemingly sudden deaths such as heart attacks are were thought to be caused by "Black Wind".

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:48 pm »
Maybe thet person who die by a heart attack was teleport to another plane perhaps that person travel by time ...
All teories maybe possible or maybe no...

The reality is so dificult to understand I think the black wind is a sing of death or something.

Zaulche

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
Interesting that the Wild Hunt is mentioned. The third book of the series, the great hunt, is a similarly themed hunt where a horn is found that, when used by a person with a life of great destiny (ie one of the three main characters) the horn calls forth an army of people from the dead to fight for him (most of which died for previous incarnations of the current heroes in past lives).

Since the Wild Hunt involved the dead there may be similarities between the Wild Hunt and the Great Hunt. I think this supports Thought theory that both Jordon and Kato are drawing inspiration from the same sources, but not each other.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:34 am »
Maybe thet person who die by a heart attack was teleport to another plane perhaps that person travel by time ...
All teories maybe possible or maybe no...

The reality is so dificult to understand I think the black wind is a sing of death or something.

Wow, I can't believe my English was that terrible back in 08. God...
OT:
Well I just wanted to say, that Black Wind might be the same as the one in the book. I mean it kinda makes sense that it flows through the Ways(gates). When a gate was near or death was coming, that's when Magus felt the Black Wind howling. Who knows...

Well it might be a coincidence , sad not many have discussed this earlier.