Author Topic: CHRONO CROSS FILE EXPLORATION THREAD  (Read 64742 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: CHRONO CROSS FILE EXPLORATION THREAD
« Reply #690 on: July 09, 2008, 01:20:45 am »
I ended up using both Porreans for the Porrean rank, so apologies; I have one more request: Grobyc! Then the ranks will be finalized.

Captain A

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:04 am »
do you need the renders to have a alpha background? or do you want them to look blue on the back?

and where can I get the blender import script?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 09, 2008, 12:27:18 pm »
To my knowledge Captain, Luminaire's most up-to-date script was attached to this post:
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,4770.msg97191.html#msg97191

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:56 pm »
It doesn't really matter, I guess. I resize them to about 50 pixel height and then make the background transparent, eliminating any defects at that point.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 09, 2008, 04:30:45 pm »
The code to activate the debug mode in-game using R1 is 8006B456 0101.

But it only works on disc one. Is there some way to find the equivalent for disc two?

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #695 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:02 pm »

But it only works on disc one. Is there some way to find the equivalent for disc two?
More importantly, why does it even work on Disc 1?  The program files are the same between both discs...

I'll file this in the "things to figure out when rewriting the engine mostly to fix bugs" category (in other words, sometime after the editor gets written), unless someone figures it out before me. :D

Satoh

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

More importantly, why does it even work on Disc 1?  The program files are the same between both discs...

I'll file this in the "things to figure out when rewriting the engine mostly to fix bugs" category (in other words, sometime after the editor gets written), unless someone figures it out before me. :D

Debug room is specifically that, a room, I think. it isn't the program that would be missing from disc 2, but rather the room, the debug menus are all part of the fieldscript for that room, as I see it. Conjecture, but it would make sense.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 09, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »
Ah, well the only strange rooms I found...

* I forget if it's Home or Another, but there's a room that doesn't exist in one of those dimensions in Marbule, yet it's in the game. I don't think exits worked though, so sadly I couldn't exit and see where I popped out of.
* In the upper 500s, there's a black room with the Chrono Cross logo on the floor.

Satoh

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Am I your dream... or are you mine...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 09, 2008, 10:41:37 pm »
Ah, well the only strange rooms I found...

* I forget if it's Home or Another, but there's a room that doesn't exist in one of those dimensions in Marbule, yet it's in the game. I don't think exits worked though, so sadly I couldn't exit and see where I popped out of.
* In the upper 500s, there's a black room with the Chrono Cross logo on the floor.

That could be the intended debug room, like in FFVII... or i could be the title screen with no oceanside scene behind it...

It could even be the black room that is accessable only through the second door in the programmers ending...(which is always locked)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 09, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »
It'll be interesting to see whether the room dialogue scripts on Disc 2 have debug mode text. It would be utterly weird to have a debug mode only on one disc though, wouldn't it?

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #700 on: July 09, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »

Debug room is specifically that, a room, I think. it isn't the program that would be missing from disc 2, but rather the room, the debug menus are all part of the fieldscript for that room, as I see it. Conjecture, but it would make sense.
The thing is, the debug menus show up in the dialogue tables for basically every room...  It really is, as I said a page or two ago, more of a debug flag that we're setting than any real debug room.

As far as the CC-logo-on-floor room...  hm.  That shows promise for other things, especially if it has any actual fieldscript attached to it.  It'd help if the room numbers from the modifier code (or even from the debug menu!) corresponded in any way I can figure out to the file sets, though.  Strike that.  The room numbers at the very beginning that crash/give black screens get filed in MISC.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: To convert from a room number in the debug menu to the file numbers, multiply by 3 and add 332.  This is the first file out of the set of three.

BTW, there aren't any actual rooms above #544 on Disc 1, or above #559 on Disc 2 (confirmed by way of examining files).  I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you tried loading rooms beyond that (for example, trying to load Room 545 on Disc 1 should load the pause screen effect, the pause screen text, and the status screen graphics and try and interpret it as room data) but I suspect the game simply crashes as the files aren't in the proper format.

Other things to note:

0001.out -  :shock:
BOOT = cdrom:\SLUS_010.41;1
TCB  = 4
EVENT = 16
STACK = 801fe000

That's the exact contents of it (aside from that what immediately precedes the equals signs is tabs instead of spaces).  Does changing this file actually change settings (the only one I'd recommend changing, ever, is the STACK line, and even then it's doubtful)?

0004.out - Has a lot of function names at the beginning, including many many kz_* functions, such as the following:

kz_CheckEquipGrandorion()
kz_CheckEquipBraveShield()
kz_CheckEquipBraveGoods()

and the great one:

kz_GetBeta()

0005.out - The first 303 bytes are all that's readily apparent as far as interesting things (note: I skipped the first 96 bytes as it's just file names + some junk):

-----------------------------------
    %s

<------------select------------->
  cd       mode
  pc       mode
  emulator mode
  psx      mode
  pcprog   mode
  cdprog   mode
  disk = 1
   disk = 2

0018.out - Shop-related stuff, along with status messages while saving/loading and the little save blurbs.  Why those are in the same file, who knows...  guess they decided those used a sufficiently similar interface to put all the data into one thing.  It's got a DRP header, though, like the second file out of any room triad.  (It doesn't form a full room, though, obviously.)

0015.out - Looks like it references eight models (?? Or perhaps just elements of some sort for the "screen" it produces), bit_ and bit2-bit7.  Again, DRP header, but not an actual room to the best of my knowledge.

It'll be interesting to see whether the room dialogue scripts on Disc 2 have debug mode text. It would be utterly weird to have a debug mode only on one disc though, wouldn't it?
You'd have to check one of the "unique to Disc 2" rooms - either where the file itself is a different size, or where it's just flat-out dummied on Disc 1.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 09, 2008, 11:44:22 pm »
Ahh, thank you M! I'll get these contents noted on the File Structure Wiki next time I do my rounds. I might be able to simply use Excel to get all the rooms labeled in one fell swoop now that we know the relationship between ZeaLitY's debug mode rooms and the ones stored on the disc.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 10, 2008, 12:41:11 am »
That poor smiley! He's lost amongst the Cross research!

(Yeah, I know how he got there.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

cornettheory

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • Hey! lets Fight for no reason! Okay Bye!
    • View Profile
    • www.onlyintheory.com
« Reply #703 on: July 11, 2008, 11:58:26 am »
a black room with a logo at the bottom sounds like a construct for a title screen to me.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 12, 2008, 12:30:01 am »
I managed to use Lzss_D!

It loads from and writes to a folder called "30_Fichiers_Avant" in the directory above Chrono_cross.exe

Example:
Lzss_D directory|file #'s

(Directory seems to need a "\", and must be in 30_fichiers_avant)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:01:40 am by Vehek »