Author Topic: CHRONO CROSS FILE EXPLORATION THREAD  (Read 68837 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: CHRONO CROSS FILE EXPLORATION THREAD
« Reply #660 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:33 pm »
Ah, okay, it would have taken me awhile to figure that out. If you happen to find that CC LZSS decompressor, I would be forever greatful.

MDenham

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Glowsticks are not a weapon.
    • View Profile
    • Java IRC - konata.echoes-online.com
« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2008, 10:08:46 am »
ROUND DISC 2!  FIGHT DUMP!

After mucking around a bit with the somewhat-easier-to-follow source to the version Ramsus worked on, I'm in the process of dumping Disc 2 right now.

First note of interest: some rooms that are on Disc 1 are dummied out on Disc 2!  The first one is (assuming we're referring to the room using 0356/0357/0358 as "Room 1") Room 55 - which indicates that the Room Modifier code is working off of an entirely different set of numbers from the rooms-as-loaded (I suspect "Room 55" is RMC #049, and so the initial order is "5, 8, 9, 10...").

With regards to my "short" Disc 2 image - it looks like all that's missing from it are videos, more likely than not (the last non-empty file I got is #5652, and it's followed by 84 empty files, #5653-5736...  and then the damn program decided to start spitting out a file of over 280MB, when I already had ~97% of the ISO's space accounted for!).  So that's some good news as well (it's entirely possible that there's actually nothing missing, and the larger CD2 ISO you have, FaustWolf, has over 100MB of empty space at its end. :D  You might want to check that).

dump.exe is attached; no matter which ISO you're dumping, make sure it's named cc.iso for the time being.  Works just like the other versions of the Ramsus-edited tool.  Debug-related stuff is included in case something goes wrong, which it probably shouldn't (though I got a rather interesting stack-thrashing error dumping CD1 with it).  CD2's dumping isn't nearly as informative as CD1's is, though - just a dumb (in the sense of "dumb terminal", folks, not "stupid! stupid! stupid!") progress display of periods rather than sectors/file #/file type.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2008, 10:16:07 am »
M, you are my hero. Does this dump.exe dump BOTH Disc 1 and Disc 2, or should I keep this separate from the dump.exe I'd been using to dump Disc 1?

We should be able to snag a few more battle models this way.

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 06, 2008, 10:26:23 am »
M, you are my hero. Does this dump.exe dump BOTH Disc 1 and Disc 2, or should I keep this separate from the dump.exe I'd been using to dump Disc 1?

We should be able to snag a few more battle models this way.
Yes, it works for both discs.  Name your Disc 1 ISO cc.iso, run it on that (you'll get the same results as with the old tool, BTW), then rename it back.  Then, just name your Disc 2 ISO cc.iso, and run it again.  Disc 2 will get lumped into ALL\disk 2\0000.out-5736.out or however far it goes with your ISO (I don't know why it wouldn't be the same, but it's something to keep in mind).  If it seems to stall for a long time after making 5736.out, you can always kill it with Ctrl-C and then delete the resulting 5737.out.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:22 am »
*Does the happy dance* Can't wait to try this out! Gotta free up some room on my hard drive first though.

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:32 am »
And, with the aid of some programs that have been around since, um, 1983 or so...

Well, the filename should speak for itself.  It's the lists solely of files that are different (well...  the rooms-cd?.txt files are definitely that way, at least; the compare-cd?.txt files still have some ranges of overlap that I haven't bothered to clear out at this point).

But, just to let people know the main finding here:

Not only are some rooms disc-specific, some rooms are just flat-out different by disc (#452-463, which is then followed by a run of disc-specific rooms to 469; 470 is identical; 471 starts more disc-specific rooms, on out to 479...  and then 480 starts another run of "these rooms are not the same...").

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 06, 2008, 11:42:43 am »
Thanks M. Your list confirms (I think) that the battle model files, at least, are not in alignment between discs. In Disc 1, 3055.OUT is Serge's battle model texture, which is 37,992 bytes in size. In Disc 2, 3055.OUT seems to be just over 2000 bytes in size. This means that once we've got Disc 1 documented skeletally, we'll have to do a full analysis of Disc 2 as well. Makes things just a bit more complicated, but it's good to know.

EDIT: Aha, battle model data begin @ OUT 3100 according to the Disc 2 list. There may have been more rooms stored on Disc 2 for some reason, pushing the battle models back a certain amount.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:47:26 am by FaustWolf »

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 06, 2008, 05:29:04 pm »
EDIT: Aha, battle model data begin @ OUT 3100 according to the Disc 2 list. There may have been more rooms stored on Disc 2 for some reason, pushing the battle models back a certain amount.
Well...  sort of...

The difference is that there's a stretch of 15 dummied rooms (making up the 45-file difference) at the end of Disc 2's room files, while Disc 1 just jumps right into whatever the next thing is.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 06, 2008, 05:41:27 pm »
When I tried to use the tool, I got an error message about the application configuration being incorrect.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 06, 2008, 05:44:57 pm »
Yep yep, me too. I've notified M via PM.

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »
You know, it helps if I include the VC9 ('08) runtime DLLs.  :?

Anyway, here they are - at least, the debug versions - so that should fix things.  If it doesn't, well, complain at me again.

(Also attached are updated versions of compare-cd1/2.txt because I've tracked down the remainder of the differences.  There's a lot of stuff that's dummied out on CD1 and present on CD2.)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 06, 2008, 06:27:07 pm »
Do we need to put the DLLs in a specific folder, M? When I extract the DLLs to the same folder as dump.exe, I'm getting the same error.

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 06, 2008, 06:28:44 pm »
That's...  odd.  I'm heading out to Costco right now, so once I get back I'll figure out what's not right.

You might need .NET Framework 3.5.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:19:44 pm by MDenham »

MDenham

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 06, 2008, 08:39:49 pm »
Okay, here's what you need:

Download this file and run it.

Then, use the attached version of the program (not a debug version :D).  Same functionality, 25k smaller.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 06, 2008, 09:14:20 pm »
While walking through New York City a few summers ago, I saw a Jamaican guy breakdancing in the middle of the street shouting at the top of his lungs, "I LOVE LIFE!"

I AM NOW IN THAT STATE OF BEING!

Thank you M, the new-and-improved dumper works flawlessly! I'll need to restructure the File Structure wiki a bit to take into account the fact that we can now detail both CDs. Time to par-tay!