Poll

Rate Riddel on a scale of A (best) to D (worst)

A
4 (22.2%)
B
6 (33.3%)
C
8 (44.4%)
D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 33: Riddel  (Read 4142 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 33: Riddel
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:57:07 am »
Evaluate Riddel based on her character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much she strikes you as cool to how important she is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Riddel.html

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 03:09:10 am by ZeaLitY »

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 33: Riddel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:10 am »
Character design: I like how her design gives that "ojou-sama" impression, and yet doesn't fit into the 'blonde princess in white' nor in the 'goth evil princess' stereotypes, more like a merge of both. She's the most beautiful female character in the game, IMO. Also, her dress manages to be just as tight and reaveling as her snake theme, all with her elements and such, calls for. The only weird thing in her design is, ironically, that snake head popping out of the hair... thingy.

Combat usefulness: She was a good support character, from what I can remember.

Tilt factor: She is utterly necessary to the whole Dario/Karsh plot and also utterly necessary for the Lynx-poisons-Kid in Viper Manor's terrace event, therefore necessary to the God Save The Kid (terrible pun, I know) plot. Besides that, she plays her role as daughter of El Nido's ruler flawlessly, with a personality that, just as her design, doesn't fall into typical little princess stereotypes.

I'm giving her an A.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:00:43 pm »
Character Design: She's dark, mysterious, yet unlike the typical cliche evil looking Princess she's innocent and good at heart. Perhaps a little too innocent.

Combat Usefulness: A quality support character.

Tilt: Riddel is one of those characters whom you wonder about why she didn't join your party much sooner because of how valuable she is to many different plot lines, especially the sidequest to get the Mastermune. What's more, she's a fascinating character who shows a lot more personality than many of the characters in this game.   

Still...I'm not sure if we had to absolutely have her as a full PC to fulfill her roles. Yes, she's valuable as a support and for Dario, but that's all she really is necessary for. Beyond that she falls by the wayside to much more powerful and story-important characters. As sad as it is, I'd have to give her a pass on my "stay a PC" list and bump her down to guest PC.

Final Grade: B.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:19 pm »
Character Design: I like it. Quite different from her original design in RD, in a good way.

Combat Usefulness: Never used her, really.

Tilt: Eh... I never really saw the appeal here. Half the so-called badasses want in her panties, but why? She's hot, okay, but what else? She had to be in your party at certain times, but she really didn't DO alot besides be bait. Her charms elude me...

C

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »
Design: Oh shit! Riddel! One of my favorite characters! Her design gives off a great gothic look, which you can instantly tell she still mourns for Dario.

Combat: Riddel brings support to the party and does a great job at it. Always in my party.

Tilt: She is nesesary to getting the Mastermune and in a way, the good ending. (You need the Mastermune to fully save Kid) Plus, I've always wanted to "hit that".

Final Grade: A

she's so fucking hot

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 07:17:23 pm »
Design: Make no mistake, it's darkly alluring.

Combat: Healing techs. Healing techs!?

Tilt: Have to go with maggie on this one.

That's a pretty short review, I admit...and I may end up voting a low B. But it stands that Riddel doesn't do much of her own except get fought over.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:31:57 pm »
Design: SUCH A GORGEOUS DRESS. And well, yeah, I agree on the Gothic opinions a few of you guys mentioned... She does look constantly... 'emotionless' or something.

Combat: I used her a lot, in a typical '2 fighters and 1 healer' RPG party (usually with Serge and Glenn). She was often enough to provide healing for the other two when I needed it. Riddel is very useful.

Tilt: She was just... there. A plot device, meh. Someone needed to be kidnapped, and Riddel filled this role. I liked her role in the Mastermune/Dario scene, though. She gets enough development and importance, if you ask me, but it would've been nice to see her stand up for herself at least once.

Final Grade: A

But just barely.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:09:52 pm »
Character Design - Riddel's actually pretty cool lookin, I think...Though I don't dig on her weird snake-head head-band thingy, I realize that it fits her whole snake imagery or w/e fetish it is she's going for...

Combat Usefulness - Well, she's another Rod user (interesting that three rod users' names all start with R? not really), which is kind of boring her being a White Innate female with non-combative Techs (*yawn*)...but, speaking of her Techs, she's got one of only two Techs in the whole game that allows for an Element recharge. If you're an absolute numbskull, that can come in handy.

Tilt Factor - She's got ok character development at first glance, but really we don't know that much about her aside from the fact that she loves Dario and grew up with that whole gang and for w/e reason everyone around her falls for her. Another character that had more potential than what we got, which was lackluster at best.

Final Grade - C