Author Topic: The Compliment Thread.  (Read 11827 times)

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The Compliment Thread.
« on: November 03, 2004, 08:04:36 pm »
Since we have several critique threads, I thought it would be helpful to have one for complimenting and pointing out what we like in each other's posts.

By stressing what we like, I think we can give each other a better idea of what we should focus on in upcoming posts.

So smile. Everybody. Altogether now.

: )

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The Compliment Thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 01:01:44 am »
I'd like to compliment everyone on getting the ball rolling so well.

I will begin writing for my character this weekend.  Our marching season has come to a close, and gloriously so.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:22:28 am by Hadriel »

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
The Compliment Thread.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 10:35:46 am »
Alright, here's what I like about a few people's posts' (those that have at least a few posts up) styles:

ZeaLitY - Very good at grandiose descriptions, but sometimes borders on too much. I also like the way you've characterized Gaspar and Spekkio; we don't have much to go on from the games, but what you have seems to work.

Symmetry - Very good characterization of Naomi and Sessimine; it's very consistent throughout your posts, and the interplay between them seems natural.

Claado - Nice way of tantalizing the reader with the mystery surrounding Gryph, and saying just enough.

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The Compliment Thread.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 10:49:04 am »
I think it's actually a compliment in itself that people are willing to critique your stuff without being harsh and ugly.  It takes a level of respect for both the person you're speaking of and the story itself to keep it civil.  So to all the people in the critique threads, I compliment you.

To everybody else...so far, this fanfic is going great.  Any problems with characters and sidequests are being worked out, and nobody is rushing forward to try and move things along; it's just been, overall, a very mature and professional experience.  This is the way a multi-author story should be (but often isn't).

Symmetry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The Compliment Thread.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 12:16:30 pm »
Leebot -

I'm finding Backer to be pretty interesting. At first glance I wasn't sure what was up with him and got the impression he was some lunatic just waiting to spaz out on someone. I like his robotic perception of the world. I think it's well done and it's unique - and distinctive, interesting characters are more valuable to a fic than a good plot, in my opinion. (Not to say that a good plot isn't necessary, but I think excellent characters add much more to a story than an excellent plot does. Of course, the two have a tendency to work off each other.) In anycase, the scene where Backer inflitrated the compound was exciting and I look foward to seeing him fight alongside some other characters.

(This is by no means all I have to say about the project. Just expect it in bits and pieces.)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
The Compliment Thread.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 07:49:31 pm »
Yeah, I agree with Backer being a really great character...His exploits in infiltrating the base even got me to forget how rediculous it seemed that they would allow him to do so just to 'test' his ability. I bet it was hard to write around that situation though...