Author Topic: Where's the latest ROM?  (Read 5565 times)

Daniel Krispin

Re: Where's the latest ROM?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 04:46:21 pm »
Hey, guys, I finally just played the actual game - first time since, well, I think the last time I played it it ended at Dalton's fortress. And even that all wasn't even half so polished. Excellent work! It's definitely following the Chrono spirit. I also like how deftly it's tying into Cross: one of my absolute favourite parts was the mentioning of 'the Beeba and its fruits'. Heh. I didn't realize you all were so far and had done so much in it. Once again, excellent.

Actually, heh, wouldn't it be funny if you guys could send this to Kato? Heh. I wonder what he'd say? Probably make all of SE envious, really.

Oh, by the way, just before I forget, are you guys going to use those old weapon/armour name lists I compiled last year? Are the names we came up with all still valid, or do we have to think of some new ones?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 11:38:10 pm by Daniel Krispin »

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2007, 02:17:39 pm »
We don't really have a way to contact Kato directly, but SE will surely be aware of this at some point after its release. It would be awesome if some pro or fan journalist could ask them (mainly Tanaka and Mitsuda, I guess) what they think about this fangame, in an interview. Tanaka did got asked a bunch of Chrono-related questions earlier this year, even though the interviews he was in were supposed to be on the FFIII remake...

Anyway, I believe the weapon/armour lists are all still up in the air... I don't think anything has really been finalized. The names we came up with are definitely a good basis though. We'll probably keep a majority of them (or all of them, why not) in the end. Some items may depend on what we do with the side quests, etc, though.

However, now that I think about it, I don't know if we resolved the problem of the fixed item types. If I recall correctly, if we change the type of a weapon, it won't change its battle animation, meaning Crono could be shooting arrows from his sword if he uses what was supposed to be a bow in CT... Magus would be stuck with only 4 scythes, etc. Does anyone remember this problem and knows if we found a way to resolve it?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 02:21:45 pm by Chrono'99 »

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 02:54:18 pm »
We don't really have a way to contact Kato directly, but SE will surely be aware of this at some point after its release. It would be awesome if some pro or fan journalist could ask them (mainly Tanaka and Mitsuda, I guess) what they think about this fangame, in an interview. Tanaka did got asked a bunch of Chrono-related questions earlier this year, even though the interviews he was in were supposed to be on the FFIII remake...

That scares me a bit. I don't want us to get in trouble for having completed something before they were able to issue a C&D, you know? I mean, I know I'm not really that involved in this, but still... I suppose you could argue it a form of 'fanart', much like a drawing or a fanfiction would be. Yet still, I don't know if they'd see it as such. However, wouldn't bit be cool if Kato liked it? I mean, it's very detailed, and though there's still lots of dialogue missing, it seems very much to be based of the Compendium analysis, and as such follows through as a bridge between Trigger and Cross much more than I think any other fan game would be able to.

Actually, the only criticism I think I can give of it it seems to move a little too quickly and linearly. Belthesar is basically sending you on missions (which is fine), but it seems to pass quickly (maybe because I'm prone to that bad habit of using the 'tab' button on my emulater, heh, but I did that often in Trigger, too.) Don't know what can be done about it, but as I see it, other than the rough spots (which are existent because it's not yet finished), that's about the only complaint I might have. Uh... for example, the ruins of the Ocean palace. There are only three or so screens there. Why? Is that a constraint of the emulator? To me the area seems too linear (just go straight up), when you could have some side passages, or make it meander. Or might some places, like Sargon's house, have an extra room just for show? Just little things like that. I suppose to make it feel 'bigger'. Some parts are like that. Zeal, for example, was dead on wonderful. Brilliant. So... those are my thoughts. Overall, a wonderflul work.

Anyway, I believe the weapon/armour lists are all still up in the air... I don't think anything has really been finalized. The names we came up with are definitely a good basis though. We'll probably keep a majority of them (or all of them, why not) in the end. Some items may depend on what we do with the side quests, etc, though.

Yeah, exactly. And though I like all the names on the 'final' list, there might end up being some conflicts. We wouldn't want Lucca's Zonker8000 ending up in a box in prehistory, after all.

However, now that I think about it, I don't know if we resolved the problem of the fixed item types. If I recall correctly, if we change the type of a weapon, it won't change its battle animation, meaning Crono could be shooting arrows from his sword if he uses what was supposed to be a bow in CT... Magus would be stuck with only 4 scythes, etc. Does anyone remember this problem and knows if we found a way to resolve it?

I wasn't aware of this problem. Since I don't know coding type things in CT/TF, I have neither seen it nor know how to resolve it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 04:05:41 pm »
Well, I've toyed with the idea of bringing up a dream sequence before the game really begins. I mean, we basically start out in 1000 A.D. maps, which the player is already familiar with. So a short sequence in a "new" map might slow it down and also create freshness immediately.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 11:43:57 pm »
Well, I've toyed with the idea of bringing up a dream sequence before the game really begins. I mean, we basically start out in 1000 A.D. maps, which the player is already familiar with. So a short sequence in a "new" map might slow it down and also create freshness immediately.

I suppose, but what sort of dream? Nothing too foreshadowy, as that would be rather too cliche me thinks. Perhaps a dream of Zeal? That wouldn't be seen as foreshadowing until later on. Just a thought.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 01:32:32 am »
It could simply be a vague thing about King Zeal...

Well, time to write dialogue for PG.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 12:29:04 am »
*wakes up*

Hey everyone very long time no see.  I played through the ROM and it's FANTASTIC anyone that hasn't played it really ought to it looks great.....I've always thought what we need is someone to go through and clean up the skeletal code.  Anywhos is this IPS truly the latest one? 

Also is the wiki gone...?  If so that's a shame there was alot of stuff on there and is by form of organization.....

Anyways I'm going to be on again off again for the semester sorry for being gone so long

I got a job for after this semester though so all my freaking out is over.

--JP

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 09:48:41 am »
Yeah, it's the latest. The wiki system has been restored, but the old content hasn't or hasn't yet. It was backed up and you can download it in the Plot thread though. Glad you're back :)

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 06:17:53 pm »
2302 A.D. overworld (work in progress).

How does it look? This will first serve for the Reptite timeline. The building with a big number 1 is the Robot Base; Number 2 is the Reptite Factory; 3 is just be a short passage to the central island (perhaps like the Sewer Access in CT); 4 is a placeholder for Terra Tower until we sprite it.

This will also serve for the human 2302 A.D., with SetTile commands that remove Terra Tower and perhaps add a small El Nido.

Note that in both timelines the full map will never be explored or seen entirely, and most domes and places won't be accessible (they're just there for kicks and for the Select button view). In the Reptite timeline, you can only walk around the numbered places I listed above. In the human timeline, we'll pick an area of the map (perhaps South Zenan), and we'll put there a Central Regime place, the rebel base occupied by Cakulha, and the shopping mall if we can create it. Somehow, the Epoch won't be allowed to fly freely.

I'm thinking we should scrap the flying car idea for the Reptite 2302 A.D., since it would grant access to the whole map and thus to tons of domes and buildings that can't be entered.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:24:21 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 06:55:56 pm »
I like it. That different-palette dome graphic looks almost like an arboretum.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
Maybe the flying car can be a hover car (like the dactyls and with some tricks we can make it only access places we want to?

The map looks great, we can create future locations and populate it later.  Is the south east chronopolis?  Thats where I was putting it earlier, though I was just keeping it far away cause I didn't  think to use the map for both the reptite and human timeline.  Shopping mall should definately be made, I really like that idea (with johnny in there selling stuff).

--JP

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 07:29:34 pm »
Chapters 12/13 added. 

You should load up in the Debug room talk to the guy in the lower left to start off chapter 12. 

I'm not doing the reptite chapters right now because those are the most probable for Chrono 99 to be working on.   SO it's starting off with marle just being recued by a Chronopolis agent.  They come through the portal and she's told the Crono/Magus/Glenn are in the infirmary.  (Cause of the attack on King Zeal).  She goes there and it turns out the Crono and magus have healed cause of their magic innate, Glenn is injured though.

Belthasar comes in with the newly rescued Robo and Lucca and tells them about the reptite causing trouble with the central regime, and that an insider has convinced the commander that he has three strong soldiers.  They take three people to the regime and they bring them into the air ducts where they can go through the base, turn off the water, turn off the backup system and go up and fight the reptite.

Depending on the answers to his three questions you can have three ending (suicide, fight him, or convert him but he's killed by his own people).   Touch the controls to stop the missiles and you get sent back to the regime.

While leaving the regime the insider tells you that glenn is recovered, go visit him and he's itching to fight (he forces himself into your party).  Your told that someone is trying to be chief so go to 65 MIL and visit ayla.  Kong challenges you to the competition at the hunting range.  GO there and catch frogs and he admits defeat.  Visit ayla one more time and schala tells you to go back to belthasar.

Next chapter comming soon:

If you can't edit the wiki please let me know, i want to use that ofr bug reporting
--JP

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 04:31:13 pm »
The Central's Regime's events are blank.
I can't edit the wiki, because I don't have an account there.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
Our first instance of using the TF backup system woo.

I'm sorry I didn't run through and check everything I changed part of me was just hoping the event blanking was a thing of the past.  Zeality is it possible to get the Crimson Echoes beta testers accounts so they can fill out the bug reports?

--JP

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 04:58:04 pm by jsondag2 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:15 pm »
He's got an account now.