Author Topic: Recruit Schala  (Read 2709 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Recruit Schala
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »
I read this on the web

Chrono Trigger Hint: Recruit Schala
To have Schala as a party member, fight her mother in an optional battle. Go and clear the game. Select New Game Plus and reach the same part where you fight Schala's mother and opt to flee from the battle.

Now, when the city falls, an island will appear. Go there and you will find Schala crying, and she says she has no where to go, and asks to join you.

Can anyone confirm this? Or is it just made up by some fan?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Recruit Schala
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 02:12:18 pm »
Complete lies...

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:49:21 pm »
Easier to find out than the Alfador secret*, I must say.

(Beat the game to completion three separate times while gathering three Black Rocks for your party. When you're done, talk to Alfador in the Commons, and he'll ask if you need him to join. If you say yes, he'll ignore you and you'll have to try all over again, but if you say no, it triggers the hardest battle in the game. If you win this battle, Alfador "joins" your party as a new spell for Magus)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »
I can't know for sure because obviously I never checked it. But how the hell would Schala have escaped from Zeal? And this would also kinda ruin the Chrono Cross plot, because if you would find her on a island somewhere, how would she have ended up merging with Lavos?

Gamer8585

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:29 pm »
There is no spoo...err...8th character, and no secret spells (except for the triple techs that you need stones for). Believe me if there were I would know about it (gone though the game many times during the last 12 years); every video or screen shot to the contrary is either doctored or the products of a cheat. Example I saw a really kick ass video of Magus fighting Lavos solo on youtube, but the video maker freely admitted that he used PAR to get a solo character.

During my earlier days I was really hoping I would be able to recruit a great melee fighter like Cyrus, or an awesome spell caster like Sara (Schala), but alas it was not to be.

Plus like you said if you could recruit Sara (Schala) it would really mess up the plot of Chrono Cross. So if the dev team dosen't know it is possible to do it, it probably isn't.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 03:38:32 pm »
There is no 8th character in the final version of CT.  Schala wasn't meant to be playable, neither was Alfador going to be a spell...If Schala was playable, you'd be seeing screenshots of her everywhere. 

And FYI, some of the 8th char's data still exists in the Final version of CT and in the pre-release...so there was going to be one...just to clarify.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:43:37 pm »
The eighth character was gonna be Gaspar though, wasn't it?

Gamer8585

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 08:48:17 pm »
The eighth character was gonna be Gaspar though, wasn't it?

There are tons of theories about who the speculated 8th character would have been including: the 3 Gurus, Vinnigar, Mayonay, Soysaw, Tarta, Kino, Atropos, Cryus, Dalton, Queen Zeal, King Zeal, and Sara. Basically all of the NPCs have been rumored to be the 8th character.

There is also a good (and much more likely) possibility that it would have been an original character that would be encountered at the deleted "Singing Mountain" area.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:31 pm »
The person kinda looked like someone that would have been from 1999 AD imo.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 08:03:01 am »
a good (and much more likely) possibility

Not really.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:33:15 pm »
I hold to the theory that states that the "8th Character" was just going to, like, be a guard or something on the world map that stood as a way to block the party's path...Or something similar...

Corona!01

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Jack of All Trades
    • View Profile
    • Kagero Studios
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 10:16:41 pm »
Well, I remember seeing one of the alleged "World Map" sprites for the eighth character (the real one looks more like an Imperial Soldier from FFVI), and it looked like Schala's silouhette... pretty pathetic when someone can't even sprite anything but an outline and STILL insists to have the genuine article. I personally think they only had the 8th character coded in as a "just in case" scenario. Still, it doesn't explain the creation of "Wedge", as I call the sprite for certain reasons...

XcyrusX

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • myspace.com/nathan98023
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 05:47:00 am »
Yeah I got tricked by two of those misleading lies.

The first I was pretty stupid for believing but it was this...

-Alfador- (Magus's cat)
When you have the maximum number of kittens, go to the Tent of Horrors with Magus and Crono in your party. Play the game to win the cat food. Crono doesn't know what to do with it, so he gives it to Magus. Now go to 12000 BC and give it to his cat in the commons. After he eats it, he goes with your party. Unfortunately, you can't actually use him as a character, he just attacks randomly during Magus's turn (like Interceptor in FF3) with his special attack "Catscratch."

And this one broke my heart/soul
-Cyrus-
To get Cyrus in your party, steal from the Nu in the Hunting Range. There is a 1 in 65 chance that he will give you the Resurrection Potion instead of the Mop. Take it to Cyrus's grave and pour it on. He comes back to life and joins your party. He can use Lightning magic, and his tech "Nirvana Strike" is really cool.

Spent over 2 days trying to get that damn potion, And I have never gone back to that godforsaken land known as the Hunting Range...

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:50:54 am by XcyrusX »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:11 pm »
I know how you feel.  I believed that whole Schala crap when I was ALOT younger.  I kidna figured it wasn't true though because I knwe you couldn't run from boss battles

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 10:10:55 pm »
Really? I never bought any of those claims at all, the only one that I paid any mind to was Toma but that was only a small glimmer of hope quickly shot down.