Poll

Rate Pip on a scale of A (best) to D (worst).

A
1 (8.3%)
B
5 (41.7%)
C
2 (16.7%)
D
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 01, 2007, 01:12:23 am

Author Topic: CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 29: Pip  (Read 4394 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CLOSED - Rate Cross Characters 29: Pip
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:12:23 am »
Evaluate Pip based on his character design, combat usefulness, and Tilt factor -- which can mean anything, from how much he strikes you as cool to how important he is to the plot.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Pip.html

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 03:20:54 am by ZeaLitY »

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Rate Cross Characters 29: Pip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:28:51 am »
Character Design: Pip is an experiment by Luccia...essentially a creature that can "evolve" to be better. This, of course, is yet another stupid misconception of evolution as somehow being a guided process/a process intended to make superior lifeforms (when in fact it's just a process of adaptation to current environmental conditions and has nothing to do with becoming "superior" especially given the varying definition of superiority...in one instance superiority could mean extreme strength, in another the ability to process oxygen from water as well as air, ect ect.) Pip looks quite neat though.

Combat Usefulness: I have never used Pip, so I cannot rate Pip on this scale. However, Pip is allegedly one of the best characters combat wise. Pip also constantly changes Element depending on what form Pip "evolves" into.

Tilt: Frankly, I don't like Pip at all. The idea of Pip is, as I have already said, ludicrous, especially since Pip was created by a scientist in 1020 A.D., a much less advanced society than, say, 2300 A.D., yet we had never heard of a creature like this being created. It's even more ludicrous when you take into account the fact that she was also responsible for Grobyc's creation, and Grobyc is a cyborg!

And unlike the other inconsistencies technologically speaking that are explainable, such as Grobyc, Pip makes no sense whatsoever.  The idea of the character was flawed, stupid, and mind-boggingly inconsistent from the beginning and should never have existed.

Final Grade: D.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:01 pm »
Character Design - An off-white/pink/white/purple monstrosity pokemon reject. He wears a bell, has a lame Sanjia hairdo (hmm, him and Korcha...interesting...), and either has wings or rams' horns. His eyes are giant black ovals that stare into your very soul and his mouth is a cute little...X? Uh...okay...

Battle Usefulness - He's the only character whose innate can change...if you solely use him for numerous battles...depending on which type of Elements you use, he'll TRANSFORM! Wow, that's almost cool...His Techs are all cutesy little crap-things and he also mysteriously uses gloves without having anything that looks like a real hand...

Tilt Factor - His evolution, while a cute idea, is mostly fluff (HA!) that seems tacked on at the last minute...it doesn't even follow through to New Game+. He's a freakish experiment of Luccia's who wants to explore the world or some such...Hooray! *fanfare* NPC has joined Serge's party![/b]

Final Grade - D

Quote from: Kyronea
And unlike the other inconsistencies technologically speaking that are explainable, such as Grobyc, Pip makes no sense whatsoever.

You DO realize the Chronoverse is a world which revolves around MAGIC, right? As sci-fi as the series is, it's also a highly fantasy world.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:11:38 pm by V_Translanka »

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:23:30 pm »
Design: 6 designs, 3 at the most you can have in one playthrough. Different, that's for sure.

Combat: Weak, but his devil form is the strongest, if I remember correctly.

Tilt: Sure he's a useless character, but that part that makes him stand out is his transformations. *sigh* If only they placed it on a decent character.

Final Grade C

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 11:26:10 pm »

You DO realize the Chronoverse is a world which revolves around MAGIC, right? As sci-fi as the series is, it's also a highly fantasy world.
Yes, and as I've argued countless times, magic cannot simply do anything you want it to. Plus, there's no evidence that Luccia used even a HINT of magic in her experiments.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 07:05:30 am »
Design: Cute, I guess.  I like the Holy Beast form- that's the one with the ridiculous butterfly wings, right?

Battle:  Pip has the potential to be one of the strongest characters in the game.  However, it's a long and drudgerous process that's simply not worth it.  Why? Because this game's not that hard and there are other formidable characters with stronger personalities.

Tilt:  Pip is nothing.  A cute (in a generic way)  experiment with a funny accent.  That's it.  While I appreciate the diversity in Chrono Cross, some characters aren't as good as others.

D

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 05:53:59 pm »
Design: Eh. Little fluff ball. Appropriate, for a fluff character. I didn't realize he could be "upgraded" until I'd already finished the game, so I guess I missed that.

Battle: Maybe he's good upgraded. I wouldn't know.

Tilt: The specialization mechanic is a cool idea, but that doesn't make Pip a meaningful character in the series, nor will it give him a better than a...

D