Author Topic: Huge Chrono Trigger Paradox  (Read 5746 times)

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Huge Chrono Trigger Paradox
« on: October 27, 2004, 02:55:53 am »
As I was playing CT the other day, I noticed that the game has a massive paradox.  Here goes:

Crono learns about Lavos in 2300 AD, after Lavos ravaged the land.  Later, he kills Lavos at 1999 AD, and the world is saved.  Presumably, 2300 AD is not destroyed, and is prosperous.  Here's the problem.  Now that the future is safe, when Crono goes there in the first place, he will not learn about Lavos, and therefore will not defeat him.  This, in turn, means that Lavos will destroy the Earth at 2300 AD.  

I haven't played Chrono Cross, so if this is actually a stupid question, please let me know.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 09:29:08 am »
Read the axioms article; this issue has already been discussed and resolved.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:24:46 pm »
Either way, I'm convinced that the saved future would still have some record of Lavos emerging from the earth.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 08:18:06 pm »
The thing is that once someone changes history, they hop timelines, and the old timeline is destroyed and sent to the Tesseract.  Throughout the original game, Crono and friends were creating new timelines, shifting all life forces onto them and out of the old ones.  At the end of the game, after the death of Lavos, they arrived at their ideal timeline.  However, they no longer belonged to a set timeline.  This is how they can remember things that never happened in a given timeline, and also how they can see the destruction wrought by Lavos from 2300 AD, travel back and alter that future, and not cause a gigantic frickin' time paradox.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 11:52:22 pm »
Sorry, I'm new to the Chrono Compendium.  Thanx for not getting ticked off at me, though.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 12:04:29 am »
I'm pretty new here, too.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 02:01:45 am »
OK, I have another question for ya.  At the fair at the very beginning of the game, when you talk to Melchior, he doesn't recognize you (he does recognize the pendant, though).  This doesn't make sense, since you rescued him from the Mountain of Woe in 12000 BC.  If you hadn't rescued him, then he wouldn't even be in 1000 AD!  Someone explain this to me!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 04:33:19 am »
If you were Melchoir, knowing what he did, would you have done anything to jeapordize your getting sprung from Mount Woe? I didn't think so.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 04:52:27 am »
I think Melchoir had enough sense to guard his words and keep the events he remembered intact by not giving Chrono's future away.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 09:07:11 am »
What the...? This question goes back to "read the Axioms"...

The Melchior you first meet in 1000AD isn't the same that Crono & Co. save on Mt. Woe because the team has yet to do that...It's a new timeline's Melchior that you save on Mt. Woe, while the one you know and love in 1000AD is from the original, Lavos, Timeline.

Read the Articles...Now!

:x

:)

:wink:

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 12:24:18 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
What the...? This question goes back to "read the Axioms"...

The Melchior you first meet in 1000AD isn't the same that Crono & Co. save on Mt. Woe because the team has yet to do that...It's a new timeline's Melchior that you save on Mt. Woe, while the one you know and love in 1000AD is from the original, Lavos, Timeline.

Read the Articles...Now!

:x

:)

:wink:

Thank you! I was hoping someone would say that.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 12:51:12 pm »
But then how can Kid know Serge at the beginning of CC? Serge didn't save her in the past "yet", and Kid is not supposed to save Serge from Lynx until Belthasar asks her some time after the end of the game (whenever "before" or "after" the game events)... Maybe I'm messing something I don't know

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 09:50:28 pm »
When does it say that's why Kid is 'saving' Serge? Her being there is all a product of the Kid Project, headed by Belthasar...All to ultimately end in Serge freeing Schala.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 02:31:41 am »
Sorry, I'll think before I speak from now on.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 06:45:37 am »
Oh please, don't be so dramatic...

Just look at the answers your givin first before going off into more questions, as those answers may (as they have this time) answer your other questions...It's really not that difficult nor is it a big deal...