Author Topic: Further Character Discussion  (Read 69076 times)

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Further Character Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 02:31:21 am »
I really hate the idea of "fixing" such a masterpiece as Chrono Cross.  That's like trying to fix the Mona Lisa because you didn't like the colors Da Vinci used or trying to fix Beethoven's Eroica Symphony because the French Horn enters too early or the whole piece is too long...

Yeah, I didn't like all of the characters, but I wouldn't dare presume to remake or "fix" the game.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 02:47:35 am »
If some thing is wrong that can be fix why not? It is just a delicate business not to ruin every thing good about it.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 02:16:59 pm »
I don't think it's our place as fans.  The game is masterpiece that we could never have come up with ourselves.  Who are we to pick and choose what we did and didn't like about it and make some kind of 2.0 version?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:56 pm »
I really hate the idea of "fixing" such a masterpiece as Chrono Cross.  That's like trying to fix the Mona Lisa because you didn't like the colors Da Vinci used or trying to fix Beethoven's Eroica Symphony because the French Horn enters too early or the whole piece is too long...

Yeah, I didn't like all of the characters, but I wouldn't dare presume to remake or "fix" the game.

Plenty of people HAVE changed those things, but mostly it was to fit their own style...A remake of a video game will not change the original video game. If you think that the original is better than the remake, you're still more than welcome to play the original video game, BECAUSE IT'LL STILL BE THERE!!!

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 09:09:04 pm »
While I don't really consider CC a masterpiece on par with the god damn Mona Lisa, even sacred arts can be criticized. It doesn't change the game since it's already finished, but it tells people who do fanart, fanfics, or fangames what sort of thing the fans themselves liked and would like to see incorporated.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 02:23:05 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
If you think that the original is better than the remake, you're still more than welcome to play the original video game, BECAUSE IT'LL STILL BE THERE!!!

Which is why it's silly of me to argue this. But for silly argument's sake- I still think it's a bit presumptuous to present a remake as "the fixed version".  Maybe we're not disagreeing and I'm just bothered by the wording (semantics)

While I don't really consider CC a masterpiece on par with the god damn Mona Lisa
I do. Chrono Cross has certainly had a bigger impact on my life than the Mona Lisa.

Quote from: maggiekarp
even sacred arts can be criticized.

Criticized, perhaps. But fixed?

It doesn't change the game since it's already finished, but it tells people who do fanart, fanfics, or fangames what sort of thing the fans themselves liked and would like to see incorporated.
It's the motivation behind this incorporation that I'm bringing into question... it's really none of my business though, since I'm not having a hand in it.  Just expressing myself, that's all.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
  • Male...female......what's the difference?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 04:48:21 am »

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would. But if I did, I would do so in such a way that it would truly homage the original one as much as I could possibly manage. Obviously it would have to be redone in some form of a 2D RPG, most likely one of the RPG Maker programs out there. And it would definately HAVE to include every single character in the game in some form of sprite renditiion.

Quote from: V_Translanka
If you think that the original is better than the remake, you're still more than welcome to play the original video game, BECAUSE IT'LL STILL BE THERE!!!

Which is why it's silly of me to argue this. But for silly argument's sake- I still think it's a bit presumptuous to present a remake as "the fixed version".  Maybe we're not disagreeing and I'm just bothered by the wording (semantics)

The most beautiful thing, in my opinion, would be to see a remake of the game, exactly as the game is right now, where nothing of the story would be changed and all the characters would be kept.

While I don't really consider CC a masterpiece on par with the god damn Mona Lisa
I do. Chrono Cross has certainly had a bigger impact on my life than the Mona Lisa.

Amen to that. I really don't think that there are better words to express just exactly how great that game truly is. Well, I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any at the moment.

even sacred arts can be criticized.

Criticized, perhaps. But fixed?

Couldn't agree more with you. There should be more fans in this communtiy like you.

It doesn't change the game since it's already finished, but it tells people who do fanart, fanfics, or fangames what sort of thing the fans themselves liked and would like to see incorporated.
Oh, but it does in fact, very much changes the game, when you are removing more than half of the entire cast in the game. Wether or not they were involved in the game's plot, makes no difference whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:53:33 pm by dankun »

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 04:32:52 pm »
Quote from: dankun
I would. But if I did, I would do in such a way that it would truly homage the original one as much as I could possibly manage. Obviously it would have to be redone in some form a 2D RPG, most likely one of the RPG Maker programs out there. And it would defeninately HAVE to include every single character in the game in some form of sprite renditiion.

Cool.  I'm not condemning remakes, I'm speaking out against the idea of one-upping the original.

Amen to that. I really don't think that there are better words to express just exactly how great that game truly is. Well, I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any at the moment.
It's an epic romance- a game made for radical dreamers everywhere.  The colorful characters, the vibrant world, the breathtaking music... all of these elements come together to create an experience that is truly remarkable.  The battle system is innovative, the cinematics glow....  everything about the game just shines.

these unnecessary characters that people want to get rid of- as I said, I don't like them all.  But they're part of that world and part of the experience.   Who are we to throw them away?

Couldn't agree more with you. There should be more fans in this communtiy like you.
Thank you.

Quote from: dankun
Oh, but it does in fact, very much changes the game, when you are removing more than half of the entire cast in the game. Wether or not they were involved in the game's plot, makes no difference whatsoever.

Yes. Besides, who reads fanfics anyway? (kidding...)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 08:39:45 pm »
Oh, yeah, I don't think they should be called the "fixed version"...but if Kato wants to fix things and call it fixed, who am I to argue? If Kato wants to change the story somewhat to better fit his original ideas or whatever, get rid of characters (or just move them to the side) or maybe even EXPAND on the development of the characters and call it Chrono Cross Version 2.0, then I'm all for it and then some.

I'd change Beethoven's Eroica Symphony if he happened to put in a 2-hour kazoo solo...and I'd like to think he'd agree.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 01:29:04 pm »
Hopefully, Kato will start work on a new Chrono game before he remakes one of the existing games.

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:58 pm »
Oh, yeah, I don't think they should be called the "fixed version"...but if Kato wants to fix things and call it fixed, who am I to argue? If Kato wants to change the story somewhat to better fit his original ideas or whatever, get rid of characters (or just move them to the side) or maybe even EXPAND on the development of the characters and call it Chrono Cross Version 2.0, then I'm all for it and then some.

I'd change Beethoven's Eroica Symphony if he happened to put in a 2-hour kazoo solo...and I'd like to think he'd agree.

No. I would very much doubt that this will ever como to pass. The very idea of the mastermind behind Cross wanting to change his most beautiful masterpiece to date just makes me want to..... I don't even want to finish that sentence.
Besides, this completely ignores the fact that Square Enix contiues to refuse to pay any attention to the Chrono series at all.
If Cross were to ever get a remake (which I very much doubt the possibility of, save for maybe a PSP release), make no mistake that the game would still include every single character in the game. They have no reason to remove them, so why would they even bother destroying their own work?

Hopefully, Kato will start work on a new Chrono game before he remakes one of the existing games.

Yes. With any luck, Square Enix will ignore all possibilites of a remake of their previous works and finally decide to give us the coveted third (and final?) game in the series.
Who cares about official remakes? Seriously.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
since I missed this one...
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 02:56:08 am »

Design: Cute, yet badass.  Commanding, yet sensitive.  Stylish, yet powerful.  Some may say the outfit is skanky.  But I have a hard time thinking of Kid as a skank, so to me it's just fashionable.

Battle:  She has the only thief ability for a good portion of the game.  Solid, well rounded in battle.

Tilt: Kid is beautiful.  She's a piece of a star that fell from the sky.  She's strong, pure-hearted, compassionate, brave, bold, charmingly blunt, and very stylish.  She's the kind of woman I could fall in love with and probably my favorite character from any videogame.

A

Design: I definitely get a little bit of a disco-fever vibe from the outfit- but Karsh pulls it off.  Because it's really the man that makes the clothes.  I dig the hair, and the badass scowl.

Battle: Solid character- comparable to Glenn until Glenn gets the twin Einlanzers.  Which is stupid.  Karsh should be able to dual-wield Rainbow Axes or something... 'cause he's way cooler than Glenn #2.

Tilt: Karsh has a lot in common with Kid, so obviously I like him a lot.  He carries a terrible secret on his shoulders but doesn't let it diminish his resolve to fight.  Sure, he's misguided- but who wasn't? CC's plot's so convoluted that everyone got confused...  Karsh could afford to question his orders a bit, but his strong sense of loyalty is a bit endearing.  Under his rough exterior, he's got a heart of gold.

A

Design: Good-looking young swordsman, reminiscent of his namesake

Battle: Probably the strongest fighter in the game once he gets that second sword... Great dual tech with Serge.

Tilt: He's a good guy.  He listens to Riddel and searches for the truth regardless of what others do.  In this sense, I like him more than Karsh- While Glenn's certainly a loyal person, he still questions suspicious orders and searches for the right course.  However, aside from being a standup guy, he doesn't really have a whole lot of personality.  Really, he's kind of bland and lacks the dimensions of his namesake.

B
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:15:26 am by CelestialPhantasm »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 03:22:12 am »
Kid is beautiful.  She's a piece of a star that fell from the sky.  She's strong, pure-hearted, compassionate, brave, bold, charmingly blunt, and very stylish.  She's the kind of woman I could fall in love with and probably my favorite character from any videogame.

Aha, thanks for putting that into words for me.

Solid character- comparable to Glenn until Glenn gets the twin Einlanzers.  Which is stupid.  Karsh should be able to dual-wield Rainbow Axes or something... 'cause he's way cooler than Glenn #2.

Ditto. Glenn is like Hitsugaya...sort of neurotic, with no real backstory to give him an impetus.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 08:20:19 pm »

No. I would very much doubt that this will ever como to pass. The very idea of the mastermind behind Cross wanting to change his most beautiful masterpiece to date just makes me want to..... I don't even want to finish that sentence.
Besides, this completely ignores the fact that Square Enix contiues to refuse to pay any attention to the Chrono series at all.
If Cross were to ever get a remake (which I very much doubt the possibility of, save for maybe a PSP release), make no mistake that the game would still include every single character in the game. They have no reason to remove them, so why would they even bother destroying their own work?

1) Like I said, you can't destroy the original; it'll always be there! and 2) He fixed things in the storyline of Chrono Cross for the NA release, so obviously even to him, it wasn't perfect...who's to say that things couldn't be changed to make it better?

dankun

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 04:02:36 am »
1) Like I said, you can't destroy the original; it'll always be there! and 2) He fixed things in the storyline of Chrono Cross for the NA release, so obviously even to him, it wasn't perfect...who's to say that things couldn't be changed to make it better?

1) Fair enough. I still don't like the idea of another 'version' of Cross ever being put out there, even if it is fan-made, in which all of these so called 'nothing' characters would be thrown away.
2) We don't know what he changed in the NA release, while Richard Honeywood was translating the game. Most likely, we will probably never find out this information, if only for the mere thechnical problems that this would imply. But I would gather, that he most likely just wanted to clarify a few bits and pieces that were left way too confusing in the japanese version of the game.