Author Topic: Where to go in NY  (Read 1443 times)

cupn00dles

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
Where to go in NY
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:01 pm »
Hey.

Could someone tell me of some bars and pubs that are not overly expensive (where you'd spend around 20~30 bucks per person) to go in NY city?

Also, does anyone know of websites where I can see what concerts/gigs/shows in general/basketball/hockey games will be happening there during the period of Dec. 10th-16th, with prices and such?

Thanks in advance.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Where to go in NY
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:47:24 pm »
New York is cold, bitter, harsh, self-important, and rude. Go to LA instead.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:14:26 pm »
LA isn't self-important?

Flynn

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Dorky is the new hot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:15:34 pm »
LA isn't self-important?

Eh, not really. More like desperate to be someone.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:17:52 pm »
So, it's just full of people who want to be self-important?

Flynn

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Dorky is the new hot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:25:36 pm »
So, it's just full of people who want to be self-important?

Exactly what LA is full of. It's full of people who want to be self-important, mostly in the film industry too and this is from experience . . .

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:05:50 pm »
New York is cold, bitter, harsh, self-important, and rude. Go to LA instead.
Really? That wasn't my experience at all...if anything, it was the opposite.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 11:48:10 pm »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 12:41:58 am »
I lived in Los Angeles, bitches! That City Rocks. And if you don't think so, then you Do Not Rock.

Having not lived in New York, however, I can't begin to answer The Cup's question. But I do know one thing about New York: You can see the Statue of Liberty from Jon Stewart's apartment. Do with that what you will.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 01:00:31 am »
Amen.

If you want an easy contrast, watch Jay Leno's Tonight Show, and then watch Letterman's late night program. Leno has a warm and laid-back atmosphere, a great varied-rock band, and a more casual approach to jokes and humor.

Letterman is stodgy, stuck up, awkward, and forced. His band, while musically talented, is nonetheless the brainchild of Potato Head (thank GOD he was kept out of the Blues Brothers (1980)), and the set is rendered in freezing blue with the depressing skyline of NYC in the background. Letterman always has a pissed off political edge going and compared to Leno, he probably has high blood pressure.

But Conan's worse if you want the contrast of band and music styles. Conan is also in NYC, and the Max Weinberg 7 plays awful "big" band style hacks of popular songs. They have nothing...nothing on Kevin Eubanks and the laid back, rock / blues background he promotes. That attitude seems typical of NYC -- rude, in your face, breakneck, and harsh.

It will be a sad day when Conan takes over Leno's spot and we have to hear Weinberg beat his stupid drum like a crazy while a bunch of other congested New Yorkers blast out mediocre brass. Saturday Night Live is lucky to have a house band led by Lenny Pickett, also known as one of the baddest musicians to explode from the Oakland scene and a Tower of Power alumnus.

So take me down to the West where the climes are more temperate and the atmosphere is more relaxed. If you want a worse version of New York, look at New Jersey. I'll conclude with a quote from Jonny Quest:

Let's blow this hot-dog cart!

Edit: No, I am not downplaying the importance of New York as a financial center and gateway for our ancestral immigrants during the turn of the century and after. I am dismissing its entire aesthetic and aura. It seems like the playground of Type A bastards completely out of touch with the simple pleasures of existence. At least LA has the beach in that regard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:05:52 am by ZeaLitY »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 02:31:46 am »
Oh, thanks for that post, Z! You reminded me of something I wanted to say earlier but forgot: You suck.

Seriously, New York City has 10 million people in it. It is the crown jewel city of North America. There is no place quite like it. I haven't been there personally (which is why I didn't offer any suggestions to The Cup), but I've had enough NY influence in my life to know that you are full of it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 02:41:17 am »
My laid back, easy going, friendly, sincere, temperate-loving demeanor is not a good match for Assy McRudeville. Let New York be New York; I'm sure as hell never going to visit. What a tremendously ugly place.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 03:08:18 am »
That's it; you're banned.

Come back in fornever, punk!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 08:21:52 pm »
Did someone just defend Jay Leno? Against not only David Letterman, but also Conan??? WTF? Jay Leno has the absolute WORST writers. At least Letterman's funny to watch because he's so goddamn senile...I guess you could be right about the music, but I can't stand watching Kevin Eubanks consistently shove his head up Leno's ass. Conan & Max are actually funny when they do stuff...especially when they add in Joel, their announcer...Hahaha.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:50 pm »
LA and NYC are very different places. New York has some nice things about it (a lot is accessable by walking, lots of places that are 24 hours) but so does LA. I dunno, I lived in LA for a long time; it's definately not for everyone, but the same is true of New York. For what it's worth, none of my time in New York has convinced me that I'd be happier there than in LA. Not even close.