Author Topic: Snippets of a fan project: Chrono Break - An AudioText Fan Fiction  (Read 3249 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Snippets of a fan project: Chrono Break - An AudioText Fan Fiction
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:58:20 pm »
Hello, all! I probably shouldn't have released anything from my pet project while it's still in its infancy, but with the Dream Splash logo egging me on every time I visit the Compendium, I finally broke down and decided to polish a few Zeal-related scenes for the Splash.

The first part ("Prelude") might not even be applicable here, since it's related to Zeal only on a few tangent points (Belthasar in 2300, the Black Omen, etc).

The second part ("Past is Prologue") is a vision of how the Ocean Palace Incident might play out in a different dimension - specifically, the dimension suggested by the ending, "What the Prophet Seeks."

But first, some caveats for those who might venture through my horribly-coded web documents:

*This is sort of a fan script accompanied by the music that inspired the various scenes, thanks to the wonders of JavaScript - but since my coding skills are infantile, the audio accompaniment only works for Internet Explorer users. Knowing my luck, everyone here is probably a Firefox aficionado. Also, unlike Claado Shou of Chrono Symphonic fame, I've not learned the proper way to write cinematically, so the style will appear quirky, and the scene descriptions far too detailed for some.

*I've taken liberties with canon that cannot be explained by the simple fact that this takes place in an alternate dimension. For example, I've shamelessly altered some characterizations -- in this alter-dimensional vision, the Prophet doesn't exile the gurus, his ultimate goal is significantly different than his goal in Chrono Trigger, Zeal isn't possessed by Lavos in any way, and Schala has guts, among other things.

*I've created FAQs for both parts to act as a running commentary, but don't read them until after the scenes, because they contain major spoilers.

*There's over-the-top violence, because neither the Prophet nor Lavos are nice dudes. I actually intend the project to be a pro-peace work, but you wouldn't know it from the beginning.

If none of the above turn you off, take a gander. I've tested everything in Internet Explorer and it seems to work, but drop a comment here if you experience technical difficulties, and I'll see what I can do. There may be a delay in hearing the music for Internet Explorer users, since I can't seem to get m3u streaming to work with the host I'm currently using. So the music portion will probably be inaccessible to 56k users as things stand.

And if this stuff is too weird even for the Splash, that's fine. This exercise has value as a system test of sorts, and has already provided valuable insight on how I would go about presenting this project once it's complete.

Oh, and please view this in a full-screen window. The words will be all jumbled otherwise.

See it here:
http://download-v5.streamload.com/74e0adf4-4adf-4831-9ce9-1dcf6d9fbd8a/faustwolf/Hosted/Chrono%20Break%20TOC.htm
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:03:51 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Snippets of a fan project: Chrono Break - An AudioText Fan Fiction
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:59:09 am »
Wait, "Jeanne"...are you Symmetry?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:34:54 pm »
No Symmetry here. I thought "Jeanne" was a suitable first name for Queen Zeal, though it's absolutely possible it got stuck in my subconscious after reading a fanfic or a message board a long while ago.

Just did a quick check on Symmetry's "The Crooked Portrait on the Wall," hosted here at the Compendium. I couldn't find any references to Queen Zeal being named "Jeanne." Is it possible a different spelling was used, or did Symmetry employ this name elsewhere? In either case, I'd better credit Symmetry for coming up with Queen Zeal's first name.

Say -- if two or more fanfics refer to Queen Zeal as "Jeanne," does that make the name semi-official?  :shock:

And Zeality, thanks for wading through all this. I hereby give you a Poyozo Doll as a token of gratitude:

(Poyozo Doll taken from videogamesprites.net)

BTW, how did the html documents work out for you, or anybody else who's tried them? Did the music buttons work?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:37:50 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:48:34 pm »
Yeah.

Well, it was some WIP or another...I forgot if it even still exists. But yeah, it even snuck into my writing (her last name is Creojeanne).

The prologue was really interesting, and sad on the level Lucca expresses (about what happens to people in lost timelines). I guess it carried more suspense than the first chapter, but mainly because we know what happens at the Ocean Palace anyway (so it's no fault of the writing). So let's see (if I can continue having parentheses clauses in every sentence I write here).

Yeah, it'll be fun to find out who Marius really is, and where exactly he went. And the nature of those Lavoid things...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:15:55 am »
An interesting take on "Prelude," Zeality, and thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'll make a habit of releasing episodes pertinent to the various Splash!es the Compendium hosts over the years, until this tome is finally finished.

I'm glad I'm not alone on the "Jeanne" thing.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:53:31 am »
I have to say, great job! I love how it feels like a movie.

lolz to the PS buttons

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:10:56 am »
Yay for Resident Evil 4 references! Not sure what the heck I'd do for these imaginary "timed-button-presses" parts if I were writing this with a Wiimote in mind, though.

And the cinematic-Chrono-fanfic genre was wonderfully pioneered by Claado Shou, whose work really inspired this. I think there was another project that sought to recreate Chrono Trigger in script fashion, sort of like the CT Novel Project but cinematic in nature. I'm not sure whatever happened to it.

EDIT: Ah, I found it again -- It's Luminaire85's Chrono Script project! For everyone who likes this genre of fanwork, take a look at Luminaire's project here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~alle0438/ctflash/episodes/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:09:58 pm by FaustWolf »