Author Topic: Fall of Guardia / Viper  (Read 4968 times)

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of Guardia / Viper
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
Well, this was also a scene in the Chrono Cross Demo, which means it was likely intended to be part of the game at one part. (Unless it was supposed to be one of those scenes that you never actually see in the game.)
My friend Jacqui has done a rough translation of those screens.

Note: Colonel Jyakotsu=General Viper

1st screen

Colonel Jyakotsu: Urgh...

2nd screen

Colonel Jyakotsu: Once we finish off the kingdom of Guardia, we'll move into Parepoli and get back at them for making a laughingstock of us!

3rd screen

armydudes: Whaa!! Jyakotsu-sama... // Zoah: WHAA!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:28:42 pm by Vehek »

Strawberry

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 07:00:12 am »
This is my (GlitterBerri's) translation. Jacqui's was fairly good, but since you seem to be very interested in the exact wording, I take issue with a couple of things. Viper says only "After the death of the kingdom of Guardia," and does not say that he will be actively participating in its downfall (ie: finishing it off himself). A movement into Parepori isn't mentioned either, nor getting back at anyone, ー泡ふかせる translating to "to give a surprise (or blow); to scare the hell out of." The Parepori people are called たわけもの, fools or tricksters, perhaps leading to Jacqui's "laughingstock" interpretation. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/f/f6/Cross_Beta_Viper.png
蛇骨大佐
「うむ……。

General Viper
「Hmm......
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/d/d1/Cross_Beta_Viper2.png
蛇骨大佐
「がルディア王国なき後、のしあがりおったパレポりのたわけどもに
ー泡ふかせてくれるわ!

General Viper
「After the death of the kingdom of Guardia, I'll strike a blow against those arrogant Parepori fools!
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/c/cd/Cross_Beta_Viper3.png
うお−!!
蛇骨様−。

Whoa!!
Master Viper!

うお−!!
蛇骨様−。

Whoa!!
Master Viper!

ゾア
「うお−!!

Zoa
「Whoa!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:09:46 am by Strawberry »

Ramsus

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 02:01:23 am »
Now that CT:DS is out, can we assume that the long-haired figure is actually Dalton?

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Image:Ctpsxlastguardian.png.html
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Fall_of_Guardia.html

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 07:59:32 am »
Old topic though, but doesn't that means Guardia is still a powerful nation like Porre at that time, at least in another world?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »
What differences are there between Viper's demo speech and General Kid's dialog?

キッド大佐「ガルディア王国なき後、のしあがりやがったパレポリの野郎どもに一泡ふかせてやるぜ!」

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:17 am »
Kid
ガルディア王国なき後、のしあがりやがったパレポリの野郎どもに一泡ふかせてやるぜ!

Viper
ガルディア王国なき後、のしあがりおったパレポリのたわけどもに一泡ふかせてくれるわ!

They means the same thing, but Kid calls Porrean fellows/bastards(I don't know how to translation it exactly, but sure it is usually the worst word used to call someone) while Viper calls them fools. Kid's wording is more like a bandit than a general though.

And something strange, in the ENG version, Kid says "After we defeat the Kingdom of Guardia", in JPN version, Viper says after the downfall of Guardia... I'm really not sure if Guardia was destroyed by Viper.

GlitterBerri

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • BerriBlue
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 12:06:15 am »
Kid
ガルディア王国なき後、のしあがりやがったパレポリの野郎どもに一泡ふかせてやるぜ!

Kid
「After the death of the kingdom of Guardia, I'm gonna strike a blow against those arrogant Parepori bastards!

Viper
ガルディア王国なき後、のしあがりおったパレポリのたわけどもに一泡ふかせてくれるわ!

General Viper
「After the death of the kingdom of Guardia, I'll strike a blow against those arrogant Parepori fools!

They means the same thing, but Kid calls Porrean fellows/bastards(I don't know how to translation it exactly, but sure it is usually the worst word used to call someone) while Viper calls them fools. Kid's wording is more like a bandit than a general though.

And something strange, in the ENG version, Kid says "After we defeat the Kingdom of Guardia", in JPN version, Viper says after the downfall of Guardia... I'm really not sure if Guardia was destroyed by Viper.

What Kid says is tougher, yeah. She sounds like a punk while General Viper's wording is more refined. I'd take the Japanese over the English... I'd presume that the way the creators originally wrote it or had it written would be their aim, with any fluctuation in meaning due to the translator. The translator may have heard from the creators that the kingdom would be defeated, but you'd think that the Japanese version would correspond if this was the case. It may just be that the context hinted to him that a defeat would take place.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 10:09:02 am »
So, just to clarify, does the Japanese version absolutely confirms that the kingdom of Guardia still existed in 1020 AD? Or could "the death of the kingdom of Guardia" be a reference to an event in the past (1005 AD, the date of the "fall of the kingdom of Guardia" according to the CT ending)? It's a bit strange that the kingdom would fall in 1005 AD and be recreated sometime before 1020 AD, yet that it became weak enough again by 1020 AD for Kid/Viper to expect it to fall again sometime in the future.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:22:16 am by Chrono'99 »

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 10:49:09 am »
No. I dont think it contains enough information.

But considering a dragoon scout reported that the porrean army were coming, the Guardia might have already been defeated, or it doesn't make sense they would have to deal Guardia before Porre.

My interpretation: We'll give those arrogant Parepori fools who came after the fall of Guardia a surprising blow.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 12:06:16 pm »
I also don't like the theory how Porre may have had an alliance with the Dragoons. They were clearly enemies.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 12:08:51 pm »
I also don't like the theory how Porre may have had an alliance with the Dragoons. They were clearly enemies.

Actually, they were only enemies during Porre's invasion to El Nido. Unless something came up before that became the reason the Dragoons left Porre in the first place.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »
Oh yeah, you're probably right. Though I doubt they had a hand in the Fall of Guardia but ok.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 12:41:52 pm »
Quote from: Radius
Glenn's father, Garai, the
   blacksmith, Zappa, and I used
   to tear up the battlefield.
But that was a good
   fifteen years ago...

I think they did.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 12:49:13 pm »
If they did, it would be ridicilous for Viper to talk as if Guardia was still there... As he does in the translated screenshots... Going by those screenshots, he couldn't have known about the Fall of Guardia. There's no way he's just talking about the "continent" Guardia; because then he wouldn't have to mention Porre.